Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Luke McCown visits Colts

NBColtsFanatic

Grigsom said in an interview that the draft was deep with linemen that could fit into our new scheme. So he is probably just planning on drafting whatever lineman instead of spending loads of money. I love how people pretend like the draft doesn't exist during FA. 

27 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Grigsom said in an interview that the draft was deep with linemen that could fit into our new scheme. So he is probably just planning on drafting whatever lineman instead of spending loads of money. I love how people pretend like the draft doesn't exist during FA. 

Ya, plus Grigson hasn't signed one FA offensive linemen that has turned.out to be anything other than injured or just plain bad. I think we're better off if he stays out of the offensive line free agent market given his history.

44 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Ya, plus Grigson hasn't signed one FA offensive linemen that has turned.out to be anything other than injured or just plain bad. I think we're better off if he stays out of the offensive line free agent market given his history.

Same could be said about 85% of the veteran FA olineman signings throughout the NFL the past few years.

Actually, Incognito may have been the best signing.

3 hours ago, Ryan Pelley said:

At least they're preparing for when Luck is hurt again, since O-line doesn't seem to be a priority.

Both Grigson and Pagano have stated o-line is not only a priority it's a top priority.    Just because we haven't signed a free agent the first two days does NOT mean o-line isn't a priority.

2 hours ago, Derakynn said:

Thank you!      Thank!!    You!!!!!

Sometimes, some of the posters here are just...............   unbelievable......       :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sometimes, some of the posters here are just...............   unbelievable......       :facepalm:

You found a word that more than likely was more palatable that I could have said. :D

11 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If or when Luck gets sidelined again it's doubtful they will succeed in the playoffs so who the backup is not all that critical.

What happens if he gets hurt in the regular season like he did this year?

Didn't what happened with Hasselbeck doing so well demonstrate the value of a quality back-up?

20 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If or when Luck gets sidelined again it's doubtful they will succeed in the playoffs so who the backup is not all that critical.

So a backup QB is not critical to you? I have news for you. There is a pretty long list of backup QBs that have made a difference for teams. I seem to remember that Brady was the backup for Bledsoe. I seem to remember Bledsoe then backed up Brady on a super bowl run. I don't get why you don't think about your comments before making them?

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Same could be said about 85% of the veteran FA olineman signings throughout the NFL the past few years.

Actually, Incognito may have been the best signing.

I once said that I'd rather have Incognito on my team than Jonathon Martin and that the Colts should sign Incognito on the cheap. I got absolutely killed on it.

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But the problem is it takes more than a year to get production out of a drafted o-lineman. If we sign a bunch of drafted o-lineman, Luck is going to get killed again, so count me in as part of the "we need to sign someone in free agency NAO!" crowd.

Wasn't this a team that was built to win now? That's what we said when we signed Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, and Trent Cole - we got older because we were planning to win the Superbowl, so now I'm confused.

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

But the problem is it takes more than a year to groom an o-lineman. If we sign a bunch of drafted o-lineman, Luck is going to get killed again, so count me in as part of the "we need to sign someone in free agency NAO!" crowd

If we go with the draft Luck is going to have to play smarter. Get rid of the ball when nothing is there and quit running like he is on fire. It might be the best to go through the growing pains IMO.

55 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

But the problem is it takes more than a year to get production out of a drafted o-lineman. If we sign a bunch of drafted o-lineman, Luck is going to get killed again, so count me in as part of the "we need to sign someone in free agency NAO!" crowd.

Wasn't this a team that was built to win now? That's what we said when we signed Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, and Trent Cole - we got older because we were planning to win the Superbowl, so now I'm confused.

Hey,  I agree,  we're all confused.     I don't think we're built to win now.    I think that blew-up in our faces.   We might win the AFC South,  but I don't see a serious Super Bowl contender.     I don't see a deep run in the playoffs.      I don't see us fixing all our needs in one off-season.

I'm sure Grigson and Pagano have a plan,  and I'd love to be a fly on the wall so I could know it....    but I don't know what it is right now....

Wish I had better answers....

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey,  I agree,  we're all confused.     I don't think we're built to win now.    I think that blew-up in our faces.   We might win the AFC South,  but I don't see a serious Super Bowl contender.     I don't see a deep run in the playoffs.      I don't see us fixing all our needs in one off-season.

I'm sure Grigson and Pagano have a plan,  and I'd love to be a fly on the wall so I could know it....    but I don't know what it is right now....

I personally think we should have gone with Alex Mack. Pick a reliable Center, like Mack, who's age 30, and team him up with Luck for roughly the rest of their careers together, like Saturday and Peyton. Oh well, that's a moot point now.

The Jags and Texans spent big money on a free agent. Why didn't we, even after letting Fleener, Hasslebeck, and Werner go, plus Cole taking a paycut? What is Grigson afraid of, or is he saving for something else? Maybe Luck's upcoming contract? Alex Mack looked like the most consistent player coming out of free agency, so it's a shame we didn't jump on that.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the mistake people make is thinking we MUST fix all of our flaws to win the SB in the first place. We don't really have to do that.

We are gonna have a flawed football team. The Broncos just won the SB with a poor offense, and they beat a team that most pundits considered the most compete team in the league. Its a lot more about confidence and rythym than people realize. 

Our offensive line play and our pass rush need to improve. Coaching and scheme can be major factors in those improvements tho.

I'm usually pessimistic in the off season, but by the time the season rolls around I find myself gaining optimism. 

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

I personally think we should have gone with Alex Mack. Pick a reliable Center, like Mack, who's age 30, and team him up with Luck for roughly the rest of their careers together, like Saturday and Peyton. Oh well, that's a moot point now.

The Jags and Texans spent big money on a free agent. Why didn't we, even after letting Fleener, Hasslebeck, and Werner go, plus Cole taking a paycut? What is Grigson afraid of, or is he saving for something else? Maybe Luck's upcoming contract? Alex Mack looked like the most consistent player coming out of free agency, so it's a shame we didn't jump on that.

Apparently,  we don't have the money.    Mack was roughly 9.5 Mill per year.    Too rich for what we want to spend.

The other teams spending more have HUGE money.    This year,  the Colts don't...     we've had great money in '13, '14 and '15....     but apparently we have much, much less this year.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It's absolutely amazing how many people here honestly think we can find a starter for our holes using only the draft. We all freaking  know there is a damn draft problem is you are not getting starters with ever damn pick so stop thinking we will 

I don't think there is too many who think the draft will get all the players needed. But on the other hand there are very few free agents who are worth the money ask. Most free agents are nothing but band aids and are not long term solutions. There is a reason players become free agents. Age, under performing and over priced are the main reasons. You build a team through the draft and you take your lumps while doing it. Why you think free agents are the magical solution is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think there is too many who think the draft will get all the players needed. But on the other hand there are very few free agents who are worth the money ask. Most free agents are nothing but band aids and are not long term solutions. There is a reason players become free agents. Age, under performing and over priced are the main reasons. You build a team through the draft and you take your lumps while doing it. Why you think free agents are the magical solution is beyond me.

Like has been said by others idk how many times yet you still don't understand but I'll tell you again tho. Countless FA have went on to help the team that has won the super bowl but believe whatever you want and bang your Grigson is a good GM drum 

if your GM is good you get a mix of FAs and draft picks and you can build a superb owl team 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Like has been said by others idk how many times yet you still don't understand but I'll tell you again tho. Countless FA have went on to help the team that has won the super bowl but believe whatever you want and bang your Grigson is a good GM drum 

No. you don't understand. Great teams are built through drafting and grooming your team. That is standard NFL 101. There is no use trying to explain that to you because you think you know it all.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

No. you don't understand. Great teams are built through drafting and grooming your team. That is standard NFL 101. There is no use trying to explain that to you because you think you know it all.

K whatever dude your thick headed *** has been givin examples but whatever 

K whatever dude your thick headed *** has been givin examples but whatever 

Your inability to see what has worked for just about every dynasty in the past is amazing. You want to win a super bowl. That's fine. But to win multiple super bowls you do what has been done for all the great teams in the past. There is a lesson in history and you refuse to acknowledge that. You can call me all the names you care too because I couldn't care less about what you think.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your inability to see what has worked for just about every dynasty in the past is amazing. You want to win a super bowl. That's fine. But to win multiple super bowls you do what has been done for all the great teams in the past. There is a lesson in history and you refuse to acknowledge that. You can call me all the names you care too because I couldn't care less about what you think.

The pats were one of the damn teams that has used FA to their advantage so your talk of doing what the "dynasties" do is a joke

no one said don't draft anyone and fill every hole in FA but 1 to 3 FA is a good thing and the great teams do it too weather your to blind to see that or not  

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The pats were one of the damn teams that has used FA to their advantage so your talk of doing what the "dynasties" do is a joke

no one said don't draft anyone and fill every hole in FA but 1 to 3 FA is a good thing and the great teams do it too weather your to blind to see that or not  

The team has to be built before a couple of free agents will be of use. I have news for you. The Patriots were built through the draft before any free agent done them any good. The Colts are not at that point yet. We have no depth. The talent level from out starters to the next level is huge. That showed this last season. Just because you pick a team who picked up a free agent and won something does not mean it works for the Colts. We need a better team across the board before a few free agents will do us any good. We don't have the cap room to sign what you want. Does that need to be explained to you?

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The team has to be built before a couple of free agents will be of use. I have news for you. The Patriots were built through the draft before any free agent done them any good. The Colts are not at that point yet. We have no depth. The talent level from out starters to the next level is huge. That showed this last season. Just because you pick a team who picked up a free agent and won something does not mean it works for the Colts. We need a better team across the board before a few free agents will do us any good. We don't have the cap room to sign what you want. Does that need to be explained to you?

We have but your buddy Grigson fumbled that all to hell 3 years in a row 

Not if the division keeps getting better and we keep missing the playoffs 

This Colts team needs depth but it is not as bad as you think they are. The depth will be taken care of through the draft. You want to lay all the blame on Grigson without seeing the big picture. Carry on.