Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No worries, they have a plan

Lef

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

One bad play?  Is that why he broke his collar bone twice last year?   

The point is,   injuries can happen no matter how good the oline is.

I'm quite sure they will be signing some oline help.   There are more guys out there than the 8+ million dollar a year guys.  Believe it or not,  free agency lasts more than 24 hours

Correct and one  can die in a car crash, doesn't mean we shouldnt have seat belts in the car

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

yep. but when Luck's on a cart next year, being hauled off, i'll be right here to remind you, I called it

Our O line is not good, but Luck deserves his own fair share of the blame. He holds the ball too dang long. He's got to mature in his ability to go through the progression quickly and throw it away if the throw is not there. He doesn't have to be a Peyton or Brady clone, but I don't want him constantly waiting around for his target to get open a la Big Ben and taking big hit after big hit.

9 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

So, resigning the best kicker in the NFL, freeing up cap space, making sure we have depth and letting a TE go who couldn't break away from a toddler holding him has hurt the team? Ha, okay. 

this.

At this point Indy would need a killer draft to be a vastly improved team next year. They haven't done anything of worth in free agency other than resigning Allen. They need to trim the fat more by cutting D'Qwell and then go after help on the OL and CB position. 

38 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

At this point Indy would need a killer draft to be a vastly improved team next year. They haven't done anything of worth in free agency other than resigning Allen. They need to trim the fat more by cutting D'Qwell and then go after help on the OL and CB position. 

They will be vastly improved just by having a healthy Luck and Chud running the offense.

I think the draft and cheap FAs are the plan. No more $6 million a year to old guys past their prime. And we've never been a "big splash" team in FA. 

The people disappointed with FA are going to be disappointed with the draft though. It's not going to be the OLB or OL overhaul that everyone is predicting. You'll probably see the Colts take a project OLB day 3, and the rest of the picks will be defensive lineman and a FS. You might see 1 OL and maybe a LB.

The plan is to stop trying to go all out and get in win now mode and just focus on getting younger and faster for cheap like they should have been from the start.

2 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Didn't the Colts spend big bucks on FA players last year?  

How did that turn out? (2015 season)

Hows about all the computer GM's shut it, and let the Colts people do their jobs.

We had money to spend last year and went for it all.

I think the problem is the disconnect between the money paid for talent and the performance of that talent to execute. Either the talent levels, playing as a team, were poorly judged, or the talent was under-utilized. It's frustrating because it's hard to tell which problem we have.  Maybe it's both.

My guess is, even with the new coaching, not much will change. Regardless of FA or draft, a 9 - 7 season is what I expect.

31 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Hows about all the computer GM's shut it, and let the Colts people do their jobs.

1) because this is a message board and people want to state their opinions of these matters

2) the history of decisions made by the GM so far are suspect at best

3) its fun to speculate

4) I agree with your statement about the Colts spending big bucks last year and for the most part it was a gigantic waste of money. Let me elaborate: Andre Johnson- 500 yards receiving and 4 td's. By far his worst year. He couldn't get any separation on routes and never seemed to be open even with TY getting double coverage at times.

Trent Cole- Took a pay cut yesterday. Oh boy, I guess we're supposed to be excited about that given the team's best pass rusher is going to be 35 years old and a year and a half removed from 14 surgeries on his achilles. Cole was able to produce 3 sacks, none of which came in the first 12 games if I'm not mistaken. I guess the only thing I can say is Trent Cole at 3 million a year is better than Trent Cole at 6 mil a year.

Todd Herremans- Wow, what can I say? He lasted what? 2 games and so bad he was off the team by the end of the year.

Now the good- Frank Gore and Kendall Langford were good pick ups. Gore's best days are behind him tho and Langford looks like a darn good DE for the next several years who fits the 3-4 much better than the 4-3.

Dwight Lowery- had a nice season playing on a one year deal and now walks to San Diego. Maybe Geathers is ready to take the job, I'll reserve judgment for now but Lowery played solid and I thought would be retained this year. Maybe they tried and got outbid IDK.

But, until the message board comes down people are going to be second guessing the GM. Especially when he makes deals like he did last year and in several previous years with the likes of Gosder Cherilus, Don Thomas, Greg Toler, LaRon Landry, RJF, DHB. It's not a glowing list of success stories.

Indy has a lot of holes to fill and are recovering from the FA spending that didn't pan out. In my eyes this is a "rebuilding" year of sorts. We are a couple years away from being legitimate contenders. Lots of new staff with this group so the evaluation of personnel will take time. I do expect a FA signing or two, but they will be mid-range performers, not blockbusters. Build through the draft! You never see NE, Pitt, GB going hard in FA yet they always have solid teams

44 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Indy has a lot of holes to fill and are recovering from the FA spending that didn't pan out. In my eyes this is a "rebuilding" year of sorts. We are a couple years away from being legitimate contenders. Lots of new staff with this group so the evaluation of personnel will take time. I do expect a FA signing or two, but they will be mid-range performers, not blockbusters. Build through the draft! You never see NE, Pitt, GB going hard in FA yet they always have solid teams

Ah yes but all those teams have legit franchise QB's and pretty strong defenses. I agree tho, build thru the draft. Be prudent with FA signings

15 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

no

13 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

grigson has yet to prove he can draft like the teams you mentioned.

With the inactivity I think they are going to wait to sign anybody else until after it won't count towards compensatory picks. I think that is sometime around late April or early May. This draft will be big in deciding whether we are going for it this year or waiting until next year where we'll have more cap and draft picks.

If i was in the driver seat right now for Indy, i'd sign a RG in FA.  Nothing spectacular, just someone whom will do atleast an 'average' job.  Leave the RT alone(I think Good can do the job,and only get better with reps/experience.) Joe R. can go back to relief if someone goes down or needs a breather, that is his biggest benefit IMO.

Use the draft,....first 2 rounds going to a pass rusher and a center. (still like the idea of trading down to the late 20's for Kelly and getting another 3rd round pick out of it) grab a pass rusher in the second and another corner in the 3rd, for him and Smith to fight over the #2 spot.  

If we do what i suggest with the 1st Rd. pick, use the other 3rd rounder to get a MLB, or RB..which ever is BPA at those 2 particular positions for our team.

This leave 4th 5th and 7th rounders to grab whomever is left that sticks out.

I think this plan fills alot of voids in the team.  Some would argue we need another NT, that Parry fell away the second part of the year.  But i say that with Anderson, and Jones back, Parry will have quality around him again like he did the first 1/2 of the season when our run defense was quite stout.

But first and foremost, get Lucks contract out of the way.  Doing this will show you how much you have left to spend on a Guard and whomever else you want to supplement

your team with before the draft starts.

2 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Plan? They will depend on a few draft picks to get them over the hump. It's not happening. We still have no offensive line. We lost a few key players and we're actually worse then we were when the season ended.

I see the Colts ending up maybe 5-11.

Dear God...

I'm like many others in that I would love to have found a good guard or corner in free agency this year but honestly Grigson has churned this roster a ton EVERY year he has been here. We have made lots of moves...perhaps more than any other team over his span. Maybe its time for some continuity and for some guys to come back healthy and help us perhaps. He made a number of early season moves for LBs etc so maybe the new defensive coordinator sees some opportunities within the roster that don't require a lot of moves. We live in a world of instant gratification...sometimes patience is necessary...sometimes some development in-house is necessary and bringing someone else in won't achieve anything. I do agree we need to hit in the draft...we need some playmakers on defense and some young studs on offense but we can't just spend our way to winning...we have to develop and that is going to be on this new group of coaches with Chuck to get it done. We have a team that can compete with anyone thanks to a great young qb and some key stars..the Broncos weren't built overnight. Sure it took a couple of big FA pieces to finish it off but it was good drafting that built the core. Same with Seattle and Carolina etc etc.

If we build something the right way..draft up it can happen in a couple years we be right back in the AFC Championship game and this time have a squad that is built to win over the long haul....then maybe we add a piece or two. Honestly we kinda over-achieved a couple years ago and I think people thought we were only a piece or two away and we went out in FA and spent like it....now we see we had much more building that we should have done. I'm hoping we have some answers in-house for some of our replacements and letting some of these guys go is the answer to making this team better on the field. Add the right pieces in this draft and we could see a bigger change than we think. I don't remember exactly but I think Dwight Freeney was a guy we got around this pick once upon a time....who knows we may find another one in a month or two.

Oh...and I don't know if this message board was here during the Polian years....but dang the outrage would have been through the roof. Most of the good teams are quiet in free agency if people aren't noticing...maybe that's for a reason.

On 3/10/2016 at 8:26 AM, theanarchist said:

1) because this is a message board and people want to state their opinions of these matters

2) the history of decisions made by the GM so far are suspect at best

3) its fun to speculate

4) I agree with your statement about the Colts spending big bucks last year and for the most part it was a gigantic waste of money. Let me elaborate: Andre Johnson- 500 yards receiving and 4 td's. By far his worst year. He couldn't get any separation on routes and never seemed to be open even with TY getting double coverage at times.

Trent Cole- Took a pay cut yesterday. Oh boy, I guess we're supposed to be excited about that given the team's best pass rusher is going to be 35 years old and a year and a half removed from 14 surgeries on his achilles. Cole was able to produce 3 sacks, none of which came in the first 12 games if I'm not mistaken. I guess the only thing I can say is Trent Cole at 3 million a year is better than Trent Cole at 6 mil a year.

Todd Herremans- Wow, what can I say? He lasted what? 2 games and so bad he was off the team by the end of the year.

Now the good- Frank Gore and Kendall Langford were good pick ups. Gore's best days are behind him tho and Langford looks like a darn good DE for the next several years who fits the 3-4 much better than the 4-3.

Dwight Lowery- had a nice season playing on a one year deal and now walks to San Diego. Maybe Geathers is ready to take the job, I'll reserve judgment for now but Lowery played solid and I thought would be retained this year. Maybe they tried and got outbid IDK.

But, until the message board comes down people are going to be second guessing the GM. Especially when he makes deals like he did last year and in several previous years with the likes of Gosder Cherilus, Don Thomas, Greg Toler, LaRon Landry, RJF, DHB. It's not a glowing list of success stories.

I agree it's a message board and people will write what they think but some on here have no clue.

***They need to prof read before they hit send***

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

..the Broncos weren't built overnight. Sure it took a couple of big FA pieces to finish it off but it was good drafting that built the core. Same with Seattle and Carolina etc etc.

I'm not sure the Broncos was your best choice to support your statements.

In the span of five days, the Broncos brought safety T.J. Wardicon-article-link.gif , DE/OLB DeMarcus Wareicon-article-link.gif , CB Aqib Talibicon-article-link.gif and WR Emmanuel Sandersicon-article-link.gif ,

Add in the Manning Free agent signing, and they would be the best example of a team using free agency in a great way.   Typically teams that sign that many big free agents fail (Wash and Philly).

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:45 AM, Myles said:

I'm not sure the Broncos was your best choice to support your statements.

In the span of five days, the Broncos brought safety T.J. Wardicon-article-link.gif , DE/OLB DeMarcus Wareicon-article-link.gif , CB Aqib Talibicon-article-link.gif and WR Emmanuel Sandersicon-article-link.gif ,

Add in the Manning Free agent signing, and they would be the best example of a team using free agency in a great way.   Typically teams that sign that many big free agents fail (Wash and Philly).

I agree they did and that's unusual...but they did it to top off a team that was ready to win it all (after the Manning signing)....but not to build a successful team...to put them over the top. That team was built from the draft primarily. CHJ, Travathen, Miller, Roby, Wolfe, Jackson, Ray, Barrett, B. Marshall* undrafted FA, Sly Williams, Webster,  Anderson, D. Thomas, Decker, J. Thomas...they had a big nucleus of great draft picks....some they let go and brought in FA to replace them (Dummervil, Decker, J Thomas, etc.) but that's a pretty big list of studly players that played a huge roll for the team. We would be hard pressed to have that many draft picks playing major rolls for us. If we did I would say going for broke would make sense in free agency but we really need to build from the ground up with some nice young "controllable/affordable" pieces from the draft first before investing heavily in FA in my opinion.

Certainly you have to fill out a squad so your going to add through every means necessary but the bulk of our growth/building should be coming in our draft and you see most of the consistant teams in the league doing that and occasionally making splashes as we saw Denver do. They had a bunch of their talent on rookie/controllable contracts and they had money to make a splash...sign some short term contracts for some big names and blend them together....luckily I think they biggest thing is not did they get the biggest names in FA at all those positions....they didn't...but they got character guys....Talib/Ward toughness/fight....Ware a mentor/leader for Miller...Sanders who was hungry and out to prove something...and Manning of course a great leader that set the tone for how the team would perform. That's just as big as their names...was what they brought....could even argue that they weren't the biggest FAs at their positions when available (Byrd/Whitner, Peppers/Allen/Hardy/Orakpo, Revis, Decker/Jackson) so sometimes it isn't even getting the best guy out there. So point being lets focus on the draft and building the youth on our team...perhaps gather some conditional picks....and most importantly target specific players to build this thing...and if that means being patient and waiting til the 2017 class that may have players that are better fit for us moving forward...then I'm ok with saving some cap and attacking that class and drafting well.