Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andre Johnson has been cut [Merge]

RockThatBlue

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Saddens me that we never saw AJ wearing blue in his prime, do we think he's going to try and get picked up or just retire?

I am sad about this, too.....

...He's got to consider somebody like Carolina..which isnt deep in WRs..even GB

Yep. You're post is about to be merged I'd say. But I'll still leave a comment. Its too bad we didn't get to see Dre in a Colts uniform in his prime and I wish the best to him. He may go back to Houston on a 1 year deal. Or. He's from Miami so maybe he'll go play a year with the Dolphins. But if I had to bet. I'd say if he wants to play another year he'll sign with a contender to be like the 3rd receiver or something.

54 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Next in line....

Trent Cole

D'qwell Jackson

Arthur Jones

Jonathan Harrison

Bjoern Werner

Darius Butler????

Nate Irving????

Just curious. What makes you think it is a given that we cut Jackson or Jones.

4 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

To get younger. DQ isn't that good. And Jones has been injured for 2 years. With such a deep DL class, we can get a better player than Jones in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd round. And IMO Sio Moore can be at least as good as DQ

10 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I think he gets a bit excited sometimes and goes by what he wants.  Grigson already stated in he wants to see what a Healthy Art Jones can do. Don't see him being cut.  A lot of people want to replace DQ with a younger guy and honestly I'd be somewhat down, but there really hasn't been any indication the Colts are cutting DQ either.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Next in line....

Trent Cole

D'qwell Jackson

Arthur Jones

Jonathan Harrison

Bjoern Werner

Darius Butler????

Nate Irving????

i agree on Cole and Werner but if we cut butler than were are in need of 2 corners not 1, Irving played half a season for us?? He was good in Denver. We need Harrison for Oline depth, he is cheap, Jones will likely re structure his contract. Jackson has been top 5 in tackle for the past two seasons, although the amount of space he would free up does put him on the fence. Seriously though we cant just cut all our vets and expect to nail it out of the park in FA and the draft, it doesnt work that way

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

i agree on Cole and Werner but if we cut butler than were are in need of 2 corners not 1, Irving played half a season for us?? He was good in Denver. We need Harrison for Oline depth, he is cheap, Jones will likely re structure his contract. Jackson has been top 5 in tackle for the past two seasons, although the amount of space he would free up does put him on the fence. Seriously though we cant just cut all our vets and expect to nail it out of the park in FA and the draft, it doesnt work that way

I put ?'s there because I think its possible, but I'm not betting on it. But if the staff is confident in D'Joun Smith then I could see Butler being gone. Cutting him saves another 2 million and change I think, and he hasn't played well the last year or 2. I'm hoping Smith beats him out one way or another and lives up to his draft status. Nate Irving is more likely to be cut of the 2. I think he'd save another 2 million as well but I'm not sure on that one.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Next in line....

Trent Cole

D'qwell Jackson

Arthur Jones

Jonathan Harrison

Bjoern Werner

Darius Butler????

Nate Irving????

I doubt jackson gets cut. he actually had a really good season. 

16 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I put ?'s there because I think its possible, but I'm not betting on it. But if the staff is confident in D'Joun Smith then I could see Butler being gone. Cutting him saves another 2 million and change I think, and he hasn't played well the last year or 2. I'm hoping Smith beats him out one way or another and lives up to his draft status. Nate Irving is more likely to be cut of the 2. I think he'd save another 2 million as well but I'm not sure on that one.

i could be wrong but didnt we give up a pick for Irving? if we did then there is no way we cut him

I just think there is going to be some major changes to our team next year. We're probably going to try and get younger and more talented on D and that means getting rid of a handful of guys. And I just wanna point out. That just because a ILB gets a crap ton of tackles, that doesn't necessarily mean their one of the best at their position. DQ was pretty good this year yeah. But he's also not as good as some think he is. He's not a guy you wanna match up with TE's or RB's. He cant cover. I think he'd be a lot better off as a MLB in a 4-3 scheme with a good D-Line and 2 OLB's who are fast, athletic, sideline-sideline guys with coverage skills.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I just think there is going to be some major changes to our team next year. We're probably going to try and get younger and more talented on D and that means getting rid of a handful of guys. And I just wanna point out. That just because a ILB gets a crap ton of tackles, that doesn't necessarily mean their one of the best at their position. DQ was pretty good this year yeah. But he's also not as good as some think he is. He's not a guy you wanna match up with TE's or RB's. He cant cover. I think he'd be a lot better off as a MLB in a 4-3 scheme with a good D-Line and 2 OLB's who are fast, athletic, sideline-sideline guys with coverage skills.

my issue with naming moore the starter is the raiders gave him away for next to nothing and they need a lot of help at the position.  he had one decent, but not great season then got hurt and the team doesnt want him any more?

something is fishy about why they let him go

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

my issue with naming moore the starter is the raiders gave him away for next to nothing and they need a lot of help at the position.  he had one decent, but not great season then got hurt and the team doesnt want him any more?

He was coming off injuries and they had just signed the Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith. And I also think their may have been some type of issue with Sio and the coaching staff. Because like I've said before. He was really good his rookie year. He was even on PFF's all rookie team.

14 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

like I've said before. He was really good his rookie year. He was even on PFF's all rookie team.

yeah but he is coming off of an injury too, maybe he's not the same.  he wouldnt be the first guy to lose a step after a hip injury

its either that or an issue with the coaches because you dont let a good young player with starter potential go for a 6th

maybe we did steal him in that trade but i think its more likely the raiders new what they were doing, and he is back up material at this time 

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

yeah but he is coming off of an injury too, maybe he's not the same.  he wouldnt be the first guy to lose a step after a hip injury

its either that or an issue with the coaches because you dont let a good young player with starter potential go for a 6th

maybe we did steal him in that trade but i think its more likely the raiders new what they were doing, and he is back up material at this time 

What do you think about trading for Kiko Alonso? He'll be available. And I think he and Free could form a beastly duo. when Alonso was a rookie he was one of my favorite Non-Colt players in the NFL. I love the way that kid plays. We could probably get him for a 4th rounder. I'd just try to make it a 17 4th so we have as many picks as possible this year.

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

Hmmm.  The timing of this is interesting.  Clearing space to bid for Mack?

Or probably just clearing the table for the opening of FA.

I don't think it has anything to do with Mack. AJ wasn't coming back regardless if Mack was available.  

19 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Why wouldn't Jones get cut? With how he's been injured I don't think its unrealistic to think he could be cut. Anderson's injury might save him a spot though.

If you look at the front of this website,  Colts.com,  they've done two extensive interviews with Jones in the last week or so....     profiles that are very much out of the ordinary.

They're not cutting Art Jones.     They may restructure him,   but they're not cutting him.    They like him.    They believe a healthy Art Jones makes the team better. 

He hasn't been hurt due to anything he's done.....   other players have fallen on his legs.     That's unfortunate,  but not a sign he's injury prone.      The Colts are keeping Jones....    but I do hope he's agreed to a restructured contract....     that would be fair considering how much he's been paid and how little we've gotten out of him....

I wonder who replaces Andre? We don't really have any WR depth behind Moncrief, TY, and Dorsett right now other than Bray and I don't think it's going to be him.  I think it should be a big body guy.  I have a little bit of interest in Reuben Randle.  Big body receiver at 6'2"-6'3" and he's only 24 years old.  Should come relatively cheap.

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wonder who replaces Andre? We don't really have any WR depth behind Moncrief, TY, and Dorsett right now other than Bray and I don't think it's going to be him.  I think it should be a big body guy.  I have a little bit of interest in Reuben Randle.  Big body receiver at 6'2"-6'3" and he's only 24 years old.  Should come relatively cheap.

I like Brian quick or Travis Benjamin

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I like Brian quick or Travis Benjamin

Benjamin is likely going to be too expensive....   and Quick might be as well...    we'll have to see how his market plays out....    we'd be signing him to be our 4th WR....   he's likely hoping to become some teams 3rd WR and make more money in his prime years....

So, Andre said today in an interview that he plans to continue playing.....

I was kinda hoping we might try to keep him as our 4th WR....    thought he'd be a good fit in that role...

Sorry it didn't happen....      good luck to him wherever he lands....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Benjamin is likely going to be too expensive....   and Quick might be as well...    we'll have to see how his market plays out....    we'd be signing him to be our 4th WR....   he's likely hoping to become some teams 3rd WR and make more money in his prime years....

expensive? their average wrs

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

expensive? their average wrs

Expensive for what we're trying to buy....

We're trying to buy a guy who wants to be the Colts 4th WR.

Those two guys are young and don't want to be some teams 4....   they want to be some teams 2 or 3....   that means more money to them.

And the Colts don't want to pay money for a 2 or a 3 when we're signing someone to be our 4....

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Expensive for what we're trying to buy....

We're trying to buy a guy who wants to be the Colts 4th WR.

Those two guys are young and don't want to be some teams 4....   they want to be some teams 2 or 3....   that means more money to them.

And the Colts don't want to pay money for a 2 or a 3 when we're signing someone to be our 4....

benjamin maybe since he had a good year, but quick was completely irrelevant this year

On March 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM, COLTS449 said:

Butler would save 3 mill and Irving would save 2 as you thought.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

On 3/4/2016 at 10:39 AM, COLTBLUE42 said:

Bennet from the Bears is on the trade block, lets resign Fleener & let Bennett take Allen's place!

I agree in reverse.. the Colts seem to have little interest in Fleener unless he's dirt cheap.  Bennett and Allen sound like a great tandem.  

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:50 PM, jvan1973 said:

None are busts as none of them were asked to carry the load.  Just because they weren't pro bowlers doesn't make them busts

Well to be signed to be a good #3 and not produce, is being a money bust, and lousy production. The Colts can get WR 3 in the draft.