Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Colts mock offseason 3.0

As with before, I'm not a cap expert, so my salary numbers might be way off.

Per OverTheCap, we currently have slightly over $25 mil in cap space available for 2016.

Cuts:
Andre Johnson (+$5 mil)
Trent Cole (+$6.125 mil)
D'Qwell Jackson (+$5.25 mil)
Josh McNary (+$675K)
Jonotthan Harrison (+$600K)
Stephen Morris (+$525K)

Trade:
Indy trades Bjoern Werner to the Minnesota Vikings for Cordarrelle Patterson (+$92K)

This gives us slightly over $41 mil in cap space to work with.

Re-signings, restructures, and extensions:
Extend Andrew Luck (6 years, $130 mil)
Restructure Art Jones
Re-sign Adam Vinatieri (1 year, $2.8 mil)
Re-sign Dwight Lowery (2 year, $4 mil)
Re-sign Boom Herron (1 year, $675K)
Re-sign Jerrell Freeman (2 year, $9 mil)
Re-sign Colt Anderson (1 year, $1 mil)
Re-sign Coby Fleener (4 year, $26 mil)
Re-sign Jack Doyle (2 year, $1.75 mil)
Re-sign Akeem Davis to ERFA tender
Re-sign Earl Okine to ERFA tender

Cap after re-signings, restructures, and extensions: slightl over $27 mil.

Free agents:
Trumaine Johnson (4 year, $22 mil)
Nigel Bradham (1 year, $3 mil, prove-it deal with lots of incentives)
Kelechi Osemele (4 year, $30 mil)
Nick Fairley (1 year, $4 mil, prove-it deal with lots of incentives)

This leaves about $9 mil left to sign rookies, which is plenty.

Draft (done on FanSpeak using the FanSpeak big board):
18: R1P18
OLB NOAH SPENCE
EASTERN KENTUCKY

48: R2P17
C NICK MARTIN
NOTRE DAME

82: R3P19
RB ALEX COLLINS
ARKANSAS

117: R4P18
S JAYRON KEARSE
CLEMSON

155: R5P16
ILB NICK KWIATKOSKI
WVU

237: R7P18
CB CRE'VON LEBLANC
FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Osemele just got an agreesive offer from Ravens to make him second highest paid on their team.  Might want to switch that pickup.  Draft would be nice and I doubt we get rid of McNary, just no reason and it's Grigson's boy.  I ohnestly do not see Freeman wanting a 2 year deal for his only contract chance.  Maybe a 3year deal at 4.5mil.

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Osemele just got an agreesive offer from Ravens to make him second highest paid on their team.  Might want to switch that pickup.  Draft would be nice and I doubt we get rid of McNary, just no reason and it's Grigson's boy.  I ohnestly do not see Freeman wanting a 2 year deal for his only contract chance.  Maybe a 3year deal at 4.5mil.

There was also recent news that Osemele is looking for $10+ mil per year.  The contract I've given him here makes him one of the highest paid guards in the league, but it's possible he wants even more.

I could also see Freeman wanting a 3 or 4 year deal, but I'm not comfortable enough with his play to give him that.  Since he came here in 2012, I've seen his play slowly decline (although, in his defense, he can still contribute).  I wouldn't want to be tied to a contract with him for longer than 2 years just in case his play takes a sudden nosedive.  Although, if we do re-sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal and structure it such that there is minimal dead money in years 3 and 4 if we cut him, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

There was also recent news that Osemele is looking for $10+ mil per year.  The contract I've given him here makes him one of the highest paid guards in the league, but it's possible he wants even more.

I could also see Freeman wanting a 3 or 4 year deal, but I'm not comfortable enough with his play to give him that.  Since he came here in 2012, I've seen his play slowly decline (although, in his defense, he can still contribute).  I wouldn't want to be tied to a contract with him for longer than 2 years just in case his play takes a sudden nosedive.  Although, if we do re-sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal and structure it such that there is minimal dead money in years 3 and 4 if we cut him, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I agree with Freeman and Grigson is decent at structuring contracts.  You could do some guarantees and after his second year limit dead money I agree.  Osemele I doubt makes it to FA.  Ravens are looking to lock him down ASAP.

29 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

As with before, I'm not a cap expert, so my salary numbers might be way off.

Per OverTheCap, we currently have slightly over $25 mil in cap space available for 2016.

Cuts:
Andre Johnson (+$5 mil)
Trent Cole (+$6.125 mil)
D'Qwell Jackson (+$5.25 mil)
Josh McNary (+$675K)
Jonotthan Harrison (+$600K)
Stephen Morris (+$525K)

Trade:
Indy trades Bjoern Werner to the Minnesota Vikings for Cordarrelle Patterson (+$92K)

This gives us slightly over $41 mil in cap space to work with.

Re-signings, restructures, and extensions:
Extend Andrew Luck (6 years, $130 mil)
Restructure Art Jones
Re-sign Adam Vinatieri (1 year, $2.8 mil)
Re-sign Dwight Lowery (2 year, $4 mil)
Re-sign Boom Herron (1 year, $675K)
Re-sign Jerrell Freeman (2 year, $9 mil)
Re-sign Colt Anderson (1 year, $1 mil)
Re-sign Coby Fleener (4 year, $26 mil)
Re-sign Jack Doyle (2 year, $1.75 mil)
Re-sign Akeem Davis to ERFA tender
Re-sign Earl Okine to ERFA tender

Cap after re-signings, restructures, and extensions: slightl over $27 mil.

Free agents:
Trumaine Johnson (4 year, $22 mil)
Nigel Bradham (1 year, $3 mil, prove-it deal with lots of incentives)
Kelechi Osemele (4 year, $30 mil)
Nick Fairley (1 year, $4 mil, prove-it deal with lots of incentives)

This leaves about $9 mil left to sign rookies, which is plenty.

Draft (done on FanSpeak using the FanSpeak big board):
18: R1P18
OLB NOAH SPENCE
EASTERN KENTUCKY

48: R2P17
C NICK MARTIN
NOTRE DAME

82: R3P19
RB ALEX COLLINS
ARKANSAS

117: R4P18
S JAYRON KEARSE
CLEMSON

155: R5P16
ILB NICK KWIATKOSKI
WVU

237: R7P18
CB CRE'VON LEBLANC
FLORIDA ATLANTIC

I wouldn't get rid of Harrison because he is a decent backup Holmes is terrible I would cut him as for that guy from the ravens I think he returns to Baltimore so I would go with Allen from KC because he can play both guard and tackle then I would try to make a play for the best possible CB on the free agent wire if anything left maybe Jackson or Travathan from Denver I would take either one if not both but as for the rest of the cuts I agree except for Jackson I think he had a great year so I would keep him one more season and draft his replacement this year or next year.

This would be perfect. Spence, Martin, Collins in the draft. Osemele, Johnson in free agency. We'd be set. Our pass rush would be set. Our OL would be set. We'd get our number 2 corner. A good RB to pair with Gore. And some nice depth on the DL and at ILB. This would be an almost perfect offfeason IMO..

48 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree with Freeman and Grigson is decent at structuring contracts.  You could do some guarantees and after his second year limit dead money I agree.  Osemele I doubt makes it to FA.  Ravens are looking to lock him down ASAP.

The good thing is they just tagged Tucker. So Osemele will most likely hit the open market.

21 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

This would be perfect. Spence, Martin, Collins in the draft. Osemele, Johnson in free agency. We'd be set. Our pass rush would be set. Our OL would be set. We'd get our number 2 corner. A good RB to pair with Gore. And some nice depth on the DL and at ILB. This would be an almost perfect offfeason IMO..

15 minutes ago, MTC said:

Really like this. 

Thanks!

22 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I like a lot of what you did, I just really am not high on Collins or Martin.  Those positions in the 2nd and 3rd are fine.  Just different guys.

I hear ya.  Who would you want playing C?  Assuming everything else except the Martin pick happens, meaning we have our guard positions set, who do you want playing center?  Holmes?

14 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think Max Tuerk is going to be the best C in the draft. I had a 2nd round grade on him if he could get closer to 300 which he did. 

If he can be drafted in the 2nd round I think it would be a very good pick. You think he might still be around at pick #35?

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If he can be drafted in the 2nd round I think it would be a very good pick. You think he might still be around at pick #35?

I think so. Not being able to participate in any running drills I'm thinking probably hurts his stock a bit (or at least didnt help it). Teams are justifiably concerned (I noted my own worry in my breakdown) about how much his quickness will suffer after putting weight on. Not being able to run, he obviously couldn't address those concerns.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:38 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

I wouldn't get rid of Harrison because he is a decent backup Holmes is terrible I would cut him as for that guy from the ravens I think he returns to Baltimore so I would go with Allen from KC because he can play both guard and tackle then I would try to make a play for the best possible CB on the free agent wire if anything left maybe Jackson or Travathan from Denver I would take either one if not both but as for the rest of the cuts I agree except for Jackson I think he had a great year so I would keep him one more season and draft his replacement this year or next year.

Oh so that was Holmes getting bullrushed into Hasslebecks knees in more than one occasion along with Getting Bullrushed into Luck and getting run plays blown up? No that was Harrison. He's the one that needs to be shown the door the most.

I have Tuerk as a 3rd round prospect who could slip to the top of the 4th. I do like his mobility but lack of strength hurts him, Has a couple technique issues like leaning into blocks and lunging into 2nd level blocks on occasion but those can should be cleaned up over time and dedication and good coaching. I like his upside with added strength but not a top 2 rounds prospect to me

I'm curious as to what people think of the trade I have proposed.  Zimmer gets another piece for his 4-3 defense, which is where many believe Werner is more suited to play.  The Colts get an electrifying returner with great athletic ability and size, but needs to work on his route running.  With the way Moncrief and Hilton have developed their route running, and with the leadership we have at the QB spot (which is something I think Minny needs more of), I think we have what it takes to develop Patterson's routes.  It technically saves the Colts $92K in cap space, but that isn't the point of the trade.  Best case scenario, we get another young receiver and we sign him to an extension and we have one of the fastest and most explosive quartets of receivers in the entire league (seriously, imagine trying to defend the speed of Hilton, Dorsett, Moncrief, and Patterson....the all-go special would be deadly).  Worst case scenario, we don't extend Patterson at the end of the year and we don't really lose anything.  Middle ground scenario, we extend him to be our primary returner.  Thoughts?  Is it realistic?  Is it a good or bad trade for the Colts?

10 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm curious as to what people think of the trade I have proposed.  Zimmer gets another piece for his 4-3 defense, which is where many believe Werner is more suited to play.  The Colts get an electrifying returner with great athletic ability and size, but needs to work on his route running.  With the way Moncrief and Hilton have developed their route running, and with the leadership we have at the QB spot (which is something I think Minny needs more of), I think we have what it takes to develop Patterson's routes.  It technically saves the Colts $92K in cap space, but that isn't the point of the trade.  Best case scenario, we get another young receiver and we sign him to an extension and we have one of the fastest and most explosive quartets of receivers in the entire league (seriously, imagine trying to defend the speed of Hilton, Dorsett, Moncrief, and Patterson....the all-go special would be deadly).  Worst case scenario, we don't extend Patterson at the end of the year and we don't really lose anything.  Middle ground scenario, we extend him to be our primary returner.  Thoughts?  Is it realistic?  Is it a good or bad trade for the Colts?

I think it would be a great move for us, but I'm not sure that it would be worth it for the Vikings. Like you said, Patterson is an electric return man, and I don't think they'd want to give that up for a guy like Werner.

1 hour ago, MasterCrief said:

I think it would be a great move for us, but I'm not sure that it would be worth it for the Vikings. Like you said, Patterson is an electric return man, and I don't think they'd want to give that up for a guy like Werner.

Zimmer has expressed some frustration with Patterson's lack of development as a route runner, so they might be willing to get rid of him.  Werner did pretty well in college with his hand in the grass, so that might be an enticement for them.