Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andre Smith, Cincinnati Guard

Was looking at the o-line and didn't realize how young they are. Castanzo has a few years under his belt, and is probably our best lineman. I also like Mewhort. I think we could let Thornton, Louis and Reitz go. Was looking at Andre Smith as a free agent possibility, his stats look pretty good, also has some experience on a descent team. What do you think?

Yeah Andre Smith is a RT. And he was a pretty good one. A really good one actually. But he absolutely sucked this season. The only way I'd sign him is for a dirt cheap 1 year deal to see if he could beat out Reitz and Good.  But in absolutely no way should we let Reitz go. If he's not our starting RT next season he's still one of the best backup offensive linemen in the NFL. He can play either Guard spot and either Left or Right Tackle. He's a valuable piece on our line one way or another. And honestly I'm fine with Reitz and Good battling it out for the starting RT spot as long as we bring in a impact Center and Guard. If we had really good linemen at LT, LG, C, and RG, we'd be fine with a average to slightly above average RT IMO. Plus a beast RG would only make Reitz or Good that much better. I actually think Good wins the job. He looked pretty good in the last few weeks when he played. I think he can develop into a solid starting RT.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah Andre Smith is a RT. And he was a pretty good one. A really good one actually. But he absolutely sucked this season. The only way I'd sign him is for a dirt cheap 1 year deal to see if he could beat out Reitz and Good.  But in absolutely no way should we let Reitz go. If he's not our starting RT next season he's still one of the best backup offensive linemen in the NFL. He can play either Guard spot and either Left or Right Tackle. He's a valuable piece on our line one way or another. And honestly I'm fine with Reitz and Good battling it out for the starting RT spot as long as we bring in a impact Center and Guard. If we had really good linemen at LT, LG, C, and RG, we'd be fine with a average to slightly above average RT IMO. Plus a beast RG would only make Reitz or Good that much better. I actually think Good wins the job. He looked pretty good in the last few weeks when he played. I think he can develop into a solid starting RT.

I thought center was a spot that needed filled pretty badly, then I saw he was a 2 year player, usually 'bout the third year most players are getting used to the speed of the nfl. Might wait to see if he improves?

3 hours ago, jim scheurich said:

Was looking at the o-line and didn't realize how young they are. Castanzo has a few years under his belt, and is probably our best lineman. I also like Mewhort. I think we could let Thornton, Louis and Reitz go. Was looking at Andre Smith as a free agent possibility, his stats look pretty good, also has some experience on a descent team. What do you think?

Thread moved to the free agent section.

Smith is a tackle and not a guard.     And I'd always question his love for the game over his love for food and a paycheck.

Reitz is a very valuable player,  even if he never starts.    He's a versatile 6th man.    And Thornton has starter's ability -- he just can't seem to stay healthy enough.    But at the least, he's a valuable back-up.

I suspect Louis is gone....

Definitely have to keep Reitz.  He is way to valuable and versatile.  If Mack opts out I think he goes for the money and goes to Jacksonville and we sign Stefan W.  Then we sign a starting guard as well and the line is upgraded big time. We will definitely sign a starting corner and that could be it. If they could also find a way to sign a linebacker Irvin or Upshaw that would be perfect..That would give us plenty of freedom in the draft.  I think it would take a lot of cost cutting moves to get all four but three should not be a problem.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Smith is a tackle and not a guard.     And I'd always question his love for the game over his love for food and a paycheck.

Reitz is a very valuable player,  even if he never starts.    He's a versatile 6th man.    And Thornton has starter's ability -- he just can't seem to stay healthy enough.    But at the least, he's a valuable back-up.

I suspect Louis is gone....

I suspect the same.....

1 minute ago, jim scheurich said:

I started this topic. seems like a lot of people like reitz. maybe i'm wrong, were you guys watching the same games I was? Half the time I turned it off because I was so *. I'm so sick of 3rd and 1 and either throw the ball, or try to run and get stuffed I can't hardly stand it.

I like Reitz in the swing tackle/blocking TE role personally. He doesn't bother me as the starter at RT but I believe his value is at the aforementioned role?

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Smith isn't going to sign for a dirt cheap 1 yr deal.....nor should he.  AC played like crap this season too, doesn't mean his stock has fell that far.

1 hour ago, crestmount said:

Go for Osemele in FA, draft a C--Kelly, Glasgow or Martin (probably in that order).

Still can't work out why everyone has such a great love for Mack--not as if the Browns had a dominant O-line

That's all Mack's fault?

1 hour ago, jim scheurich said:

No I'm not singling anyone out. I'm just frustrated. All colts fans have to be. Line up with 1 yrd. to go and can't hardly ever make it. I keep saying run the ball, if you can't you don't have any.(balls)

None of that is Reitz's fault. 

5 hours ago, jim scheurich said:

seems like a lot of people like reitz, were you watching the same games that I was? If you cant get a 1st on 3rd and 1 got problems. same ones we've had for years.

I was watching the same games. Reitz isn't 100% to blame. He's a high quality backup that can come in and start on occasion which is why i said I wouldn't get rid of him. I'm frustrated by the lack of a Run game and i expect coach Pagano and Grigson to get it fixed. Louis sucks and I want him gone. Thorton & Reitz are both worth keeping. 

15 hours ago, crestmount said:

Go for Osemele in FA, draft a C--Kelly, Glasgow or Martin (probably in that order).

Still can't work out why everyone has such a great love for Mack--not as if the Browns had a dominant O-line

Mack came off a bad injury and still had a solid year. He's way better than any center we currently have.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

He was worse his second year than his rookie year. I'd be shocked if he's still on the team this coming season, and if he is God help us.

My opinion, the entire line was bad. even castanzo got beat way more often than he should have. Just in general, guys seem to either "get it" or not their 3-4 th year. Center position extremely important, a lot of responsibility lining up properly. really miss Saturday.

16 hours ago, BOTT said:

Smith isn't going to sign for a dirt cheap 1 yr deal.....nor should he.  AC played like crap this season too, doesn't mean his stock has fell that far.

True.  AC did say he played like crap.  My question is how can a good player (our best Olineman) play like crap a WHOLE year?   I understand a game here or there, but the entire year?   That sounds to me like maybe the guy next to him (and the guy next to the guy next to him) weren't doing their job....or he was playing through injuries.   I don't know but it kind of concerns me.

4 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Mack came off a bad injury and still had a solid year. He's way better than any center we currently have.

Being better than any Center we currently have doesn't make him worth all the money he will demand.  We need to draft a young guy (preferably Kelly) and build our O-line around him.  Osemele is still fairly young, and he is the only FA in the O-line positions I would target.

Gives you an O-line that looks like:

Castonzo, Newhort, Kelly, Osemele, Good

11 minutes ago, crestmount said:

Being better than any Center we currently have doesn't make him worth all the money he will demand.  We need to draft a young guy (preferably Kelly) and build our O-line around him.  Osemele is still fairly young, and he is the only FA in the O-line positions I would target.

Gives you an O-line that looks like:

Castonzo, Newhort, Kelly, Osemele, Good

I don't know. Are you wanting to draft a center? Rookie centers better be damn good. We have a two year player(some people don't like him) that has possibilities.