Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Goddell says: 2 personal fouls and you're out?

oldunclemark

I think they need a better system for calling PF for roughing a QB when it's a tick tack touch of the helmet and they need to call more grounding calls for QB's clearly throwing the ball away in order to not get sacked. I also think the hits to the head should not get called when the defensive guy is aiming in the chest region of the offensive guy but the offensive guy ducks down. The other thing I would do is give the teams 2 challenges but you get to challenge most plays until you lose those challenges and have an Independent offsite ref do it and allow 60 seconds or less. Never anymore. If it's that close that you can't spot it under 60 seconds, the call must stand and ready to snap the ball. 

Two is too few, you could easily accidentally get that many from an offensive player just ducking/acting or just depending on the refs. Also, if you are going to add a rule like this, they need to make basically everything challenge-able so that a coach can save a player from getting tossed for a nonsense call. 

Edit:

In fact, I could see some players using the rule to their advantage to try and get a player tossed from the game. 

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Roger D..said Friday that ejecting a player for two personal fouls in the same NFL game is being considered....

There's a lot of holes in that...2 high hits on the QB  could be accidental

maybe 3 personal fouls...but not 2. What do you think?

45 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I think they need a better system for calling PF for roughing a QB when it's a tick tack touch of the helmet and they need to call more grounding calls for QB's clearly throwing the ball away in order to not get sacked.

I also think the hits to the head should not get called when the defensive guy is aiming in the chest region of the offensive guy but the offensive guy ducks down. The other thing I would do is give the teams 2 challenges but you get to challenge most plays until you lose those challenges and have an Independent offsite ref do it and allow 60 seconds or less. Never anymore. If it's that close that you can't spot it under 60 seconds, the call must stand and ready to snap the ball. 

41 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Two is too few, you could easily accidentally get that many from an offensive player just ducking/acting or just depending on the refs. Also, if you are going to add a rule like this, they need to make basically everything challenge-able so that a coach can save a player from getting tossed for a nonsense call. 

Edit:

In fact, I could see some players using the rule to their advantage to try and get a player tossed from the game. 

Full agreement with all said

I have seen so many incidental contacts called a personal foul its absolutely crazy to install such a rule 

I have seen on NFL Network the absurdity of so many personal fouls that were called detailed , they actually showed examples where Sanders gets mauled going up for the ball ,used as an example as what should be a defenseless receiver but not called & then they showed someone else on another team making the catch establishing himself as a runner, getting hit in the chest and called a defenseless receiver and no one could explain why the former wasn't called and the latter was

I hope I am explaining that right but u get my intent

2 incidental fouls is crazy and can easily happen, refs better be prepared to discuss and pick up a flag rather than have someone ejected

U don't play the game all year under 1 rule and then king Rodger sets up new parameters for the Great Show changing the game and possibly causing a key injection

What happened to let them play the game in the playoffs  , I heard that alot from some announcers

I am glad its only being  considered., but it shouldn't even ever have come up & better not become a rule

rule changes they do in preseason to test things out not now

If it becomes a rule the entire psychology of how one attacks a play may alter and change ones effectiveness to one errering on the side of caution especially after the 1st PF

I think this, like a lot of other things the NFL has done/tried to do, is absolutely ridiculous. I mean the NFL just keeps trying to get softer and softer as the years go on. This would make players less likely to try and lay somebody out. This is football. Its not Tennis or Golf. Its a physical sport and its a man's sport. I love seeing hard hits. I mean come on. They were even talking about getting rid of kickoffs last offseason. I think its all just a shame. They'll be wanting to turn the NFL into a no tackling flag football league here in another 10 years.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I think this, like a lot of other things the NFL has done/tried to do, is absolutely ridiculous. I mean the NFL just keeps trying to get softer and softer as the years go on. This would make players less likely to try and lay somebody out. This is football. Its not Tennis or Golf. Its a physical sport and its a man's sport. I love seeing hard hits. I mean come on. They were even talking about getting rid of kickoffs last offseason. I think its all just a shame. They'll be wanting to turn the NFL into a no tackling flag football league here in another 10 years.

With the multi million dollar lawsuits it's not surprising. How much have we seen of the life after football effects over the last few years? Now we find out about Kenny Stabler and he was a QB. I have a feeling this trend will continue.

You can thank the refs in the Giants/Panthers game for this. If Odel Beckham would have been ejected when he consistently kept getting personal foul penalties for his punk crap that day, this wouldn't be considered right now. He should have been ejected from that game after the 3rd time, and especially after the incident running into Norman. 

5 hours ago, Bogie said:

You can thank the refs in the Giants/Panthers game for this. If Odel Beckham would have been ejected when he consistently kept getting personal foul penalties for his punk crap that day, this wouldn't be considered right now. He should have been ejected from that game after the 3rd time, and especially after the incident running into Norman. 

I think they could adjust the rule to personal fouls outside of the play. Meaning fights, yanking and tugging violently at the face mask or swinging at another player. Those type of actions but not personal fouls such as roughing the passer or defenseless receiver etc... Maybe they need to redefine the meaning of personal fouls and label offenses that get counted as elible for being tossed. 

7 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I think they could adjust the rule to personal fouls outside of the play. Meaning fights, yanking and tugging violently at the face mask or swinging at another player. Those type of actions but not personal fouls such as roughing the passer or defenseless receiver etc... Maybe they need to redefine the meaning of personal fouls and label offenses that get counted as elible for being tossed. 

I could get behind this.

Some of the personal fouls that happen during play are hard to determine as "intentional" or just circumstance of play.   But those outside of the play, are clearly intentional.

18 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

it wouldn't be goodell who does this

Sure, but it's difficult to keep track of who all does what bad things.

It's easier to offer those evil doers a common name, and blame everything on that.

Goodell easy to remember, so , may as well go with that.

Goodell comes up with some of the most dumb nonsense. Problem is if you hear it come out his mouth you are probably going to see it get implemented. I don't care what he says about "Oh I'm just making a suggestion". Get ready for it to happen.