Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4 Superbowl appearances. 4 different head coaches.

Moose Of Woe

Let's take a look at them.

Dungy - Decent

Caldwell - Awful

Fox - Awful

Kubiak - Awful (Thank heaven for Wade's DEFENSE, because Kubiak's OFFENSE is offensive!)

Pretty darn impressive.

Good luck with Carolina, Broncos. I hope you help the old boy go out on top. That D is going to have to win the game. Again. Only need to do it one more time...Newton is going to be a tough one to catch.

11 minutes ago, Moose Of Woe said:

Dungy - Decent

Caldwell - Awful

Fox - Awful

Kubiak - Awful (Thank heaven for Wade's DEFENSE, because Kubiak's OFFENSE is offensive!)

Pretty darn impressive.

Good luck with Carolina, Broncos. I hope you help the old boy go out on top. That D is going to have to win the game. Again. Only need to do it one more time...Newton is going to be a tough one to catch.

I did not realize that...I think this was the toughest because he had to change offenses..

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Kubiak took the 1 seed from Belichick with a backup QB, that's impressie no matter what anyone says. 

....cmon lol

This team has been winning in spite of the "Kubiak" offense.  Manning has been performing when he is in shotgun running "Manning" concepts.  Kubiak is as inept as ever.

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Kubiak took the 1 seed from Belichick with a backup QB, that's impressie no matter what anyone says. 

I'm not impressed by Kubiak overall, but he coached a team lacking talent in key areas in Houston, especially at QB. His best QB prior to this season was Matt Schaub, who is awful. And while he forced an odd fit on Manning this season, he eventually adjusted, and his defensive staff has been very good. He might not be as bad as we thought he was, and he wouldn't be the first coach to do better at his second stop than he did at his first.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm not impressed by Kubiak overall, but he coached a team lacking talent in key areas in Houston, especially at QB. His best QB prior to this season was Matt Schaub, who is awful. And while he forced an odd fit on Manning this season, he eventually adjusted, and his defensive staff has been very good. He might not be as bad as we thought he was, and he wouldn't be the first coach to do better at his second stop than he did at his first.

He keeps Wade Phillips around for a reason.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

8 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

....cmon lol

This team has been winning in spite of the "Kubiak" offense.  Manning has been performing when he is in shotgun running "Manning" concepts.  Kubiak is as inept as ever.

You won't hear me lobbying his name for coach of the year or anything, but the Broncos could have a worse coach. 

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

Calling Dungy "decent" is pitiful.

As soon as I saw that I decided this thread was bad.

Decent is an understatement.

He didn't realize hey my defense is awful because I don't have HoF players like in Tampa lol.  He was a coach that rode the talent of players.  Average is a big compliment.  His remembrance will be for him being the first African American to win the superbowl, not coaching X's and O's.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm not the biggest Dungy fan, but decent is more than a little withholding, IMO. Dungy is a HOF finalist this year, by the way...

Dungy deserves more credit at times IMO for our runs in the past.

I would take him back here in a heartbeat. 

We also played against way better Pats and Steelers teams with Dungy then what Kubiak played against this year. What we have now at times in the AFC is some top teams running on fumes of the past without any real new AFC contenders rising up to challenge them yet.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not the biggest Dungy fan, but decent is more than a little withholding, IMO. Dungy is a HOF finalist this year, by the way...

We had some juggernaut offenses, but he was a defensive minded guy. Our defenses, by and large, were NOT good. It was a design that played to "hang on" instead of to go out and WIN. It relied on the offense essentially killing the other team to get the most out of its design. It's was highly flawed.

You can argue we had some good SCORING defenses, which is true. Unfortunately we'd often give up long, time consuming drives and get run over all day. A problem that persists to present.

Thankfully, the defense showed up for a 4 game stretch in 2006 and kicked butt after being absent all year long. For over a decade, the offense dragged a bad defense (and horrendous special teams) to the playoffs.

That's why I think Dungy underachieved. Although thankfully 1 SB came of it.

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

Decent is an understatement.

He didn't realize hey my defense is awful because I don't have HoF players like in Tampa lol.  He was a coach that rode the talent of players.  Average is a big compliment.  His remembrance will be for him being the first African American to win the superbowl, not coaching X's and O's.

Okay........I get it. It's a thread to put down all the coaches Peyton has had to make Peyton look the best.

I do get it........

Just now, Jules said:

Dungy deserves more credit at times IMO for our runs in the past.

I would take him back here in a heartbeat. 

We also played against way better Pats and Steelers teams with Dungy then what Kubiak played against this year. What we have now at times in the AFC is some top teams running on fumes of the past without any real new AFC contenders rising up to challenge them yet.

Meh; I'm not interested in comparing matchups from a decade ago to matchups today. I'm not sure it's really possible without going tumbling down the rabbit hole.

I'm definitely not interested in Dungy, but I get why people liked him so much. He was just too conservative in big moments and too loyal to bad assistants, IMO. Primary reason I wouldn't want him back is that he'd go back to Cover 2 defense, which I think would be a huge mistake.

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

Okay........I get it. It's a thread to put down all the coaches Peyton has had to make Peyton look the best.

I do get it........

No. Tom Moore and Wade Phillips are OUTSTANDING coaches that Peyton has had. Peyton has not been particularly fortunate with head coaches, and I don't think he's the best past (Marino) or present (Rodgers) at the QB position.

Wade Phillips and his defense are the primary reason DEN is in the playoffs,  let alone the SB.  Kubiak and his "offense have been less than stellar to be kind. It's amazing how well Wade's defense has done IN SPITE OF the offense putting them in bad spots all year. 

Kubiak can't even put together a respectable offense apart from the first half of PIT in the regular season and the GB game. That is simply awful. Here's hoping they have a showing against CAR because they'll likely need it.

Just now, Jules said:

I do get it........

Lol as usual when it comes to Peyton you throw all logic out the window. It's just facts.  Dungy did less with his defenses than his disciple Lovie Smith who actually knows when to change his defenses. Dungy is the epitome of conservative and is on the HoF ballot for being first African American to win the superbowl.

Unless you are part of the crowd who blames Bill Polian?  

2 minutes ago, Moose Of Woe said:

We had some juggernaut offenses, but he was a defensive minded guy. Our defenses, by and large, were NOT good. It was a design that played to "hang on" instead of to go out and WIN. It relied on the offense essentially killing the other team to get the most out of its design. It's was highly flawed.

Thankfully, the defense showed up for a 4 game stretch in 2006 and kicked butt after being absent all year long. For over a decade, the offense dragged a bad defense (and horrendous special teams) to the playoffs.

That's why I think Dungy underachieved. Although thankfully 1 SB came of it.

I don't think his personnel was good up the middle of the defense, which is the most important place for a Cover 2 defense to be strong. We had bad DTs, merely average MLBs (Brackett was overrated, but very smart), and pretty good safeties when healthy. 

The Bucs defense is the ideal, and he put that thing together from scratch with a front office that gave him exactly what he needed.

Results are what they are, like you said: great offense and a lacking defense, with almost no special teams help. For seven years.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Meh; I'm not interested in comparing matchups from a decade ago to matchups today. I'm not sure it's really possible without going tumbling down the rabbit hole.

I'm definitely not interested in Dungy, but I get why people liked him so much. He was just too conservative in big moments and too loyal to bad assistants, IMO. Primary reason I wouldn't want him back is that he'd go back to Cover 2 defense, which I think would be a huge mistake.

I get the criticisms since I had some too back in the day of his conservative nature here.

But, I still think calling him just decent or just trying to put down a head coach who won as many games as he did and who did so much for two franchises is kinda......well.......I don't like it.

I think Dungy is HOF caliber along with Peyton all this time. I honestly do look back at those years with Peyton and think our coaching staff was drool worthy. I took it for granted at times then.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think his personnel was good up the middle of the defense, which is the most important place for a Cover 2 defense to be strong. We had bad DTs, merely average MLBs (Brackett was overrated, but very smart), and pretty good safeties when healthy. 

I'll agree with that. It was nice when we had Booger!

46 minutes ago, Jules said:

I get the criticisms since I had some too back in the day of his conservative nature here.

But, I still think calling him just decent or just trying to put down a head coach who won as many games as he did and who did so much for two franchises is kinda......well.......I don't like it.

I think Dungy is HOF caliber along with Peyton all this time. I honestly do look back at those years with Peyton and think our coaching staff was drool worthy. I took it for granted at times then.

Dungy built one of the greatest defenses ever in Tampa Bay, and they would have won at least another SB if Tampa Bay kept him and not fired him for Gruden. 

I don't think Peyton would have a ring at all if it weren't for Dungy. He is a Hall of Fame coach indeed, and I'd even go as far to say he's probably the best defensive coach of the last 20 years. I watched what he built in Tampa Bay. I watched them in their prime, and then the slow decline that began after 2002. 

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

And promoting Jim Caldwell....

50 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You said Manning would be one and done.    What happened? 

Steelers lost Brown and Big Ben's right arm was banged up.

I had the Steelers as my AFC pick going back to like April, I influenced some people to take Pittsburgh. Don't bug me though.....it's just picks. Not like we are married to any of these teams or bet the house on it.

56 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Dungy built one of the greatest defenses ever in Tampa Bay, and they would have won at least another SB if Tampa Bay kept him and not fired him for Gruden. 

I don't think Peyton would have a ring at all if it weren't for Dungy. He is a Hall of Fame coach indeed, and I'd even go as far to say he's probably the best defensive coach of the last 20 years. I watched what he built in Tampa Bay. I watched them in their prime, and then the slow decline that began after 2002. 

I look back at the Dungy years and remember how stable it all was. I took a lot for granted back then and now wish we had the same stability.

I like Pagano, but I still prefer Tony easily.

Everyone bagging on Dungy: You do realize how awful Tampa Bay was before he got there, right?  That organization was pitiful and then they hire Dungy off Dennis Green's staff.  First year starts out poorly, but then they finish strong and end up 6-10.  His second year they demolished San Francisco in their first game and gave notice that this was not the old Buccaneers anymore.  They were the surprise of the season in 1997 and made the playoffs for the first time in a while.  The next year that team gave Minnesota it's only loss in the regular season.  Ask Dick Vermeil and Kurt Warner about Dungy as a coach.  I'm sure they remember what Dungy's defense did to the Greatest Show on Turf in the NFC Championship game.  Held them to 11 points and almost pulled off the shocking upset.  Dungy's almost Hall of Fame worthy just on his time in Tampa.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I look back at the Dungy years and remember how stable it all was. I took a lot for granted back then and now wish we had the same stability.

I like Pagano, but I still prefer Tony easily.

Dungy may have been too conservative at times, and his defenses with the Colts were almost never what was hoped for, but the man was a pillar of stability and keeping everything calm and together with his teams.  Look at what's happened to Tampa Bay since he was fired.  They've gone back to what they were before he got there.  The Colts may be on the precipice of following that same path if they're not careful.

Just now, Michigan_Colts_Fan said:

Dungy may have been too conservative at times, and his defenses with the Colts were almost never what was hoped for, but the man was a pillar of stability and keeping everything calm and together with his teams.  Look at what's happened to Tampa Bay since he was fired.  They've gone back to what they were before he got there.  The Colts may be on the precipice of following that same path if they're not careful.

Your posts are so dead on. I worry too that the Colts could fall apart but I think we should be okay, I sure hope so........

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Your posts are so dead on. I worry too that the Colts could fall apart but I think we should be okay, I sure hope so........

Me too, but you never know sometimes.  Look at San Diego.  They looked like the heirs to the Patriots and Colts and it never happened because of the GM and coaching staffs not being able to get along.

5 hours ago, Bogie said:

Its a lot harder to win the Bowl than many think.

Many said Kubiak just wasnt a good enough coach and Ron Rivera was almost fired before THIS season.

Now, one of them is a champion..

The team Tony Dungy built in Indy also got to 2 bowls (Jim Caldwell coached a Tony-team) ..he was very good for us here

,,,So few AFC teams have even reached the Bowl in recent years

6 hours ago, Moose Of Woe said:

Dungy - Decent

Caldwell - Awful

Fox - Awful

Pretty darn impressive.

all 4 coaches have conservative offenses..and us fans don't like that..

Fans in  Omndy wont give Caldwell any credit...not sure why

....Hard to call Kubiak awful.........he made some good calls this year

......and John Fox has never been awful anywhere he's coached 

Dungy was more than decent he is more than likely a hall of fame coach and you can argue based on numbers the second best coach of his generation.

whats more impressive to me than four Super Bowls with four different coaches is that the "choker" has now gone 3-1 vs "the greatest post season QB in NFL history " in AFC Title games.  Only one other QB in the league can say he beat Brady in an AFC title game since Brady came into the league and he did it once.  Honestly if it wasn't for the Manning boys (Peyton's three post season wins and Eli's two over the Pats) it's scary to think how many rings the Pats might have.

A few things about the topics in this thread.

Dungy is being considered for the Hall of fame not because he was the first African American HC to win a superbowl but because he was an innovative coach that devised a defensive scheme that was an effective counter to the popular dink and dunk offense at the time.  It was so effective that the system was copied by many teams and his coaching tree became very popular.

I didn't agree with everything Dungy did as a coach but to dismiss his accomplishments is rather narrow minded.

As far as Peyton, people keeping counting him out and wishing him to fail and he just keeps on responding and keeps winning games.  For many people the only thing more fun than building someone up is trying to tear them down.  I know several people on this thread that, if Manning were still wearing the Horseshoe would be talking about, even with his diminished skills, he is still one of the greatest and how he would have had more yards and a high completion percentage if the; receivers had caught the ball (4 more drops in the AFCCG), if Sanders hadn't double clutched on his route, etc.  But since he's wearing different colors then those type of things don't apply.

11 hours ago, Moose Of Woe said:

Dungy - Decent

Caldwell - Awful

Fox - Awful

Pretty darn impressive.

I will say Dungy - Very Good, not Great because I consider Great guys like Belichick, Walsh, Knoll, Landry, Shula, Parcells, Lombardi, etc.. but Tony was Very Good. The others were all pretty Average in reality though. I wouldn't say Bad but Average at best. I would take Pagano over Caldwell, Fox, or Kubes.