Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Happy for Peyton.

AlanNC

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

Has Jim Irsay congratulated Peyton on his win ? I thought they were close ?

It wouldn't shock me if the parting was less amicable than both sides claimed. Neither really likes drama (though Irsay brings it on himself more than he should). I wouldn't put it past Peyton to put on a happy face and tell fans it was just business and he still loves it here, even if internally he was irate and ready to leave, just because he knows how much he meant to them. Hell, look how many here want to turn this in to a Broncos forum just because that's where he ended up.

This still belongs in NFL General btw.

19 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Has Jim Irsay congratulated Peyton on his win ? I thought they were close ?

I recall that Irsay did congratulate Peyton via Twitter when the Broncos made it to the Super Bowl two years ago. When Irsay was going through his addiction/legal issues, it was reported that Peyton had reached out to Irsay to reach him well. Naturally, Peyton declined to divulge the contents of that conversation. Irsay's Twitter activity has really gone down since his arrest and suspension.

34 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

I recall that Irsay did congratulate Peyton via Twitter when the Broncos made it to the Super Bowl two years ago. When Irsay was going through his addiction/legal issues, it was reported that Peyton had reached out to Irsay to reach him well. Naturally, Peyton declined to divulge the contents of that conversation. Irsay's Twitter activity has really gone down since his arrest and suspension.

I remember that also which is strange why he wouldn't congratulate him here. It was a huge win over antagonist Brady albeit in a Bronco's uniform. 

1 hour ago, grmasterb said:

Bull hockey. First, Polian came before Peyton. Had we somehow missed out on the Peyton sweepstakes (And don't say anything about drafting Leaf over Manning. That was never happening.), we don't know how Polian would've constructed the team.  There's a very real chance the Colts could've had success without Manning.

Nobody here is rooting against Peyton Manning. But I feel no obligation to root for the Broncos just because Manning is their QB. Peyton is a great QB and seemingly a good man. But he's no saint, and I don't owe him anything just because he was a great QB here. 

Of course anyone that is a Colts fan isn't obligated to root for the Broncos because we are after all Colts fans. I don't even really like the Broncos but I love Peyton so that is my reasoning for wanting them to win. I am loyal like that I guess. I know how much he meant to the Colts organization and he didn't leave, we let him go so it wasn't even his doing leaving like LeBron left the Cavs the first time around. Had Peyton been healthy and just left after his contract was up then I would have a different tune. He was the perfect QB for this city, never got in trouble with the law, we were a dominant team with him and won a SB. Couldn't of ask for more with him.

7 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I remember that also which is strange why he wouldn't congratulate him here. It was a huge win over antagonist Brady albeit in a Bronco's uniform. 

For all we know, Irsay has texted Peyton. Like I said, Irsay's Twitter activity is down big time. He pretty much only tweets about roster updates/coaching changes, inactive players on game day and whether the roof/window will be open. I miss Irsay tweeting cryptic messages using song lyrics and movie lines, along with his zany "Abby's hatpick" contests.

1 hour ago, Live and let live said:

That is very well said. I feel the same way. I am sold on Peyton and I never miss a game of his. I am not yet as sold on Andrew Luck for various reasons.

I think Andrew will be a Great one in time. He is already Good to Very Good, injuries ruined his season this last season. Next season will be interesting for sure.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't even really like the Broncos

Then don't throw in with the Broncos. Outside of Manning, I guarantee you have more grievances than likes about them. At this point their defense (the same defense that we've railed on for taking cheap shots at Andrew Luck mind you) is the one carrying Peyton anyways, so it's not even like he's still playing great football. Alex Smith could do what Peyton does at this point.

Yeah he was an all time great Colt. That time is over, and has been for years. After a point you people just need to let it go. I see people on this board spout "If you don't root for the Broncos because of Peyton, you aren't a true Colts fan" a disgusting amount of times. I could list a multitude of reasons why if you root for the Broncos you "aren't a true Colts fan." 

Peyton Manning was a great Colt. Was. I grew up watching him, I remember the transition from the Harbaugh years. I remember the moment they won the superbowl with him. It's one of my happiest memories with my dad. Time changes things, and time changed this.

I hate the Broncos. I will never like the Broncos. I wanted the Steelers to beat them. I wanted the Patriots to beat them. I want the Panthers to embarrass them. I'm not one to tell people how to root for things, but the amount of fan bullying that goes on here is ridiculous. At times people act like the Broncos are an extension of the Colts when they aren't, and never have been.

In the end I'm writing all this to deaf ears probably, and I know it's probably useless to say on these boards. Maybe it's just the midwest's natural resistance to change that I've always abhorred rearing it's ugly head again. Maybe I'm just salty as # and have had an extremely difficult time in life the past 2 weeks. It's probably a bit of all of it honestly. I guess what I'm trying to say is not all Colts fans care about Manning's achievements beyond what he did as a Colt. Throwing a hissy when they express this is irritating to say the least.

If the OP is wondering, I'm the one who reported this thread for being in the wrong section.

5 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Then don't throw in with the Broncos. Outside of Manning, I guarantee you have more grievances than likes about them. At this point their defense (the same defense that we've railed on for taking cheap shots at Andrew Luck mind you) is the one carrying Peyton anyways, so it's not even like he's still playing great football. Alex Smith could do what Peyton does at this point.

Yeah he was an all time great Colt. That time is over, and has been for years. After a point you people just need to let it go. I see people on this board spout "If you don't root for the Broncos because of Peyton, you aren't a true Colts fan" a disgusting amount of times. I could list a multitude of reasons why if you root for the Broncos you "aren't a true Colts fan." 

Peyton Manning was a great Colt. Was. I grew up watching him, I remember the transition from the Harbaugh years. I remember the moment they won the superbowl with him. It's one of my happiest memories with my dad. Time changes things, and time changed this.

I hate the Broncos. I will never like the Broncos. I wanted the Steelers to beat them. I wanted the Patriots to beat them. I want the Panthers to embarrass them. I'm not one to tell people how to root for things, but the amount of fan bullying that goes on here is ridiculous. At times people act like the Broncos are an extension of the Colts when they aren't, and never have been.

In the end I'm writing all this to deaf ears probably, and I know it's probably useless to say on these boards. Maybe it's just the midwest's natural resistance to change that I've always abhorred rearing it's ugly head again. Maybe I'm just salty as # and have had an extremely difficult time in life the past 2 weeks. It's probably a bit of all of it honestly. I guess what I'm trying to say is not all Colts fans care about Manning's achievements beyond what he did as a Colt. Throwing a hissy when they express this is iterating to say the least.

If the OP is wondering, I'm the one who reported this thread for being in the wrong section.

Nah it's cool. Everyone has there reasoning's for rooting for certain teams. I probably shouldn't judge anyone not rooting for Peyton, I just cant root against him. That is just me. Many of the older Colts fans when they were in Baltimore probably wouldve rooted for Unitas as well if he had a chance to win a SB as long as he wasn't playing the Colts.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The thing is we wouldn't have a team here in Indianapolis had it not been for the success we had with Peyton and winning a SB. Had we stunk for years Irsay would've moved us due to not making money and having a losing team for years. We became great because we drafted him and a popular football team because of him. He made our Football team and the city a ton of money. How anyone can root against him that is a Colts fan is beyond me. It really is disrespectful rooting against him IMO considering what I just stated and him being the greatest Colt ever. Some people just don't appreciate what we had and we are here with a new stadium because of him in reality. I would only root against him if he played the Colts other than that I root for him out of respect.

Very well stated.  I would add that he also represented the Colts organization with class and good character. He was always a good guy.  I don't see why any Colts fan would not be happy for him.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Very well stated.  I would add that he also represented the Colts organization with class and good character. He was always a good guy.  I don't see why any Colts fan would not be happy for him.

Yeah I don't either but everyone sings to a different tune. I just cant root against him, he's done way too much for the Colts and the city of Indianapolis. If he was playing the Colts I would root against him, I loved it when we beat Denver last season but against anyone else, I say go Peyton!

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

One - him being treated as royalty and sometimes untouchable to criticism has Peyton's critics go over the edge. I like to call Peyton out if he craps the bed in the playoffs :) though with the right numbers and content/context provided instead of blind bashing. However, to me, more than what he did on the field, his children's hospital and legacy of community work will outlive the football mentality and stadium that he contributed to. 

To me, what one does outside the field matters more for their legacy than what they do on the field in the long game of life. That is just me. I can't tell others to abide by those principles but can only share what I feel.

I have no idea where the "Colts would not be in Indy if it had not been for Peyton" came from honestly. Can someone lead me to an article stating fact based articles on this? Maybe I just don't remember that far back and I'm forgetting that talk but I don't know where that came from

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

I have no idea where the "Colts would not be in Indy if it had not been for Peyton" came from honestly. Can someone lead me to an article stating fact based articles on this? Maybe I just don't remember that far back and I'm forgetting that talk but I don't know where that came from

It's not a fact just an assumption, but most believe had we never got Peyton and continued to be a lousy team we would've been moved. It just happens. We stunk in 1997 before Peyton. Because of the success we had with Peyton our team sold out games, became popular, made the city money, etc.. By winning that SB we were able to build a new stadium, etc..

8 minutes ago, Gavin said:

There wasn't any talk. It's a presumption made by a few that the team would have continued to be as bad as it was in previous years without Manning, and eventually fan interest would have waned to the point the ownership deemed it financially nonviable for a team to be in Indianapolis.

It's not unfounded, mind you, given the NFL's history with that sort of thing, but there are people who like to state it as fact when it's blatantly not.

edit: For instance, the fact that Lucas Oil Stadium is referred to sometimes as "the house that Manning built." Obviously the success that the Manning era Colts had was a contributing factor to the city being so generous in green lighting a new stadium project, but there's no evidence to say they wouldn't have been as successful without Manning, assuming all else was the same (read: Bill Polian and Jim Irsay as the initial designers of the blueprint of that team).

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One - him being treated as royalty and sometimes untouchable to criticism has Peyton's critics go over the edge. I like to call Peyton out if he craps the bed in the playoffs :) though with the right numbers and content/context provided instead of blind bashing. However, to me, more than what he did on the field, his children's hospital and legacy of community work will outlive the football mentality and stadium that he contributed to. 

To me, what one does outside the field matters more for their legacy than what they do on the field in the long game of life. That is just me. I can't tell others to abide by those principles but can only share what I feel.

I agree with your second paragraph 100%. 

Please educate me a bit. Why is it that some Colts fans don't like Manning? Is it because he is no longer a Colt? I think if it had been up to him, he would have chosen to stay with the Colts but maybe I am mistaken. I remember him saying in his last press conference with the Colts that he would always consider himself a Colt.

Also, what is this the children's hospital that you mentioned? I would like to read about that. Thanks, Chad.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Please educate me a bit. Why is it that some Colts fans don't like Manning? Is it because he is no longer a Colt? I think if it had been up to him, he would have chosen to stay with the Colts but maybe I am mistaken. I remember him saying in his last press conference with the Colts that he would always consider himself a Colt.

Also, what is this the children's hospital that you mentioned? I would like to read about that. Thanks, Chad.

Some Colts fans did not like the fact that the full embrace of Andrew Luck did not happen unconditionally, and that Peyton fans were more lukewarm about Andrew, and worried more about the player than the laundry. I look at it like some folks are resistant to change, and some take to it faster. I tried to stay in the middle but trust me, it was mighty hard to deal with on these forums in 2012 and 2013. It is not like that some Colts fans don't like Manning, they just felt he was worshipped a tad too much and was indeed the "politician" that Irsay claimed he was. There is still residue from that.

It is Peyton Manning's children's hospital. I am certain there are folks here closer to the services provided there than what I read on the surface but there is a plethora of fund raising and good work being done there to help with kids fighting difficult health issues. They were even talking about a home away from home for families of seriously ill children

Ultimately, that is the legacy that matters to me, how folks that wear the horseshoe do things off the field to help the community. It is a rare privilege they enjoy to be a high profile Colts player and if used the right way, they can touch more people's lives than just their play on the field, IMO.

Eh....The Colts were only a part of Indiana since '84 till Peyton arrived in '98, They went to the playoffs 3 times before Peyton and had 7 seasons of 8-8 or better. I don't know how accurate all that talk is about moving back then but the Browns have sucked for the better part of 30 years though I know they were inactive for I believe 3 years in the mid 90's and they are still in Cleveland....Though it tooks threats from the fans and possible legal action by the city if I am reading correctly to keep the team intact in Cleveland

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

http://peytonmanning.stvincent.org/

It's a wing in St. Vincent's hospital for children's healthcare, made possible by contributions made primarily by Peyton and his charity organization.

Speaking personally, I still like Manning, I just don't like the Broncos. Ever have a player you like on a team you hate? Doesn't mean you root for that team. The Manning fans on this board will absolutely crucify you if you so much as imply you don't want the Broncos to win, because it makes you a bad fan. It makes me more inclined to ambivalence. It's also been 4 years since he left, I moved on.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Some Colts fans did not like the fact that the full embrace of Andrew Luck did not happen unconditionally, and that Peyton fans were more lukewarm about Andrew, and worried more about the player than the laundry. I look at it like some folks are resistant to change, and some take to it faster. I tried to stay in the middle but trust me, it was mighty hard to deal with on these forums in 2012 and 2013. It is not like that some Colts fans don't like Manning, they just felt he was worshipped a tad too much and was indeed the "politician" that Irsay claimed he was. There is still residue from that.

It is Peyton Manning's children's hospital. I am certain there are folks here closer to the services provided there than what I read on the surface but there is a plethora of fund raising and good work being done there to help with kids fighting difficult health issues. They were even talking about a home away from home for families of seriously ill children

Thank you for sharing that. 

I will have to read more about his work with the hospital. A home away from home is a very good idea; it can provide much needed relief/respite for the families/caregivers of the children.

I have to root for Manning on SB Sunday. :) 

9 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

http://peytonmanning.stvincent.org/

It's a wing in St. Vincent's hospital for children's healthcare, made possible by contributions made primarily by Peyton and his charity organization.

Speaking personally, I still like Manning, I just don't like the Broncos. Ever have a player you like on a team you hate? Doesn't mean you root for that team. The Manning fans on this board will absolutely crucify you if you so much as imply you don't want the Broncos to win, because it makes you a bad fan. It makes me more inclined to ambivalence. It's also been 4 years since he left, I moved on.

Thank you for the link. 

Yeah,  my favorite baseball player threw a no-hitter for the hated Yankees. I still liked him but I could not root for the Yanks. So, I get what you're saying. 

I was not a Colts fan but I was hoping that Manning would have played his whole career with the Colts. I thought he deserved it. It was sad when the Colts chose not to retain him. 

So, I guess you are rooting for Carolina?

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for the link. 

Yeah,  my favorite baseball player threw a no-hitter for the hated Yankees. I still liked him but I could not root for the Yanks. So, I get what you're saying. 

I was not a Colts fan but I was hoping that Manning would have played his whole career with the Colts. I thought he deserved it. It was sad when the Colts chose not to retain him. 

So, I guess you are rooting for Carolina?

Yeah. It'll be annoying to listen to around here, and the fans are some of the biggest bandwagon jokers around (people around here didn't even mention the NFL last year, but this year, HOW BOUT DEM PANTHERS, flags on every car, etc.), but in the end, I can get behind Luke Kuechley and what they've done on Defense. Cam can be childish at times, but you can't deny the talent is there. I've got my quibbles but I don't hate the Panthers, so much as I wanted them to lose to not have to hear about them from a bunch of bandwagoners.

They also aren't the Broncos. So there's that.

There is enough room for my "fandom" to root for Peyton!  Especially since it is not at the expense of the Colts... (Broncos lucky Andrew was hurt :) )

To think what could have been with out Peyton is just absurd.  The MAN is going to the SB with his 4th coach....

If anything I am upset at Irsay and/or Polian for not building a team around him like Elway has done.  They yet have to win the SB, but still.  I am starting to see the same pattern for Andrew here.

I am rooting for Peyton to win, that is my heart speaking...not my mind LOL.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

95% of colts fans are happy for him. The 5% are just loud, but a very minor minority. 

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

There were rumors about the Colts going to LA in the late 90s and early 2000s. Never happened thank God, but I remember those rumors.

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

There were rumors about the Colts going to LA in the late 90s and early 2000s. Never happened thank God, but I remember those rumors.

Just that -- rumors. I've yet to find any quote from Irsay or anyone else in the Colts organization stating the team contemplated moving to LA.

Peyton was paid a two million dollar bonus for that win (nice days work). Like everyone I was pulling very hard for him it was as close to the hypertension of a Colt playoff game. Don't forget it was done in his perhaps final year (chew on that Hoody). Both Manning and Brady deserve the praise they will get for many decades but it was a piece of paradise to see him win in such a classic venue for another typical Brady comeback victory. "Win one for the Gipper".

22 hours ago, SkyBane said:

I don't think I've ever read anyone on here saying the bolded.

It's possible, but I've not seen it.

I can only speak for myself.   I openly admit that I am still a Huge Peyton fan,  but I don't really give a care if anyone else is or not.  I only worry about me.

On January 25, 2016 at 2:42 PM, grmasterb said:

OK, I'll be Debbie Downer here. I like Peyton Manning, but he's no longer the Colts QB; therefore, I couldn't care less whether he won another Super Bowl. Part of me hopes the Broncos get beat down because of the Peyton bandwagon fans in this town, and also because I think Elway is a smug jerk. I won't hate on Peyton if he does win, but I won't root for him again until I see him at LOS in Colts blue.

Peyton "band wagon fans"?  

THE Colts QB from 1998 to 2011, leads the team to more wins in a decade than any team in any decade, EVER, wins the team a Super Bowl, and you have the audacity to call Colts fans of Peyton as being "band wagon" fans!?

Ridiculous, utterly.  

20 hours ago, grmasterb said:

Just that -- rumors. I've yet to find any quote from Irsay or anyone else in the Colts organization stating the team contemplated moving to LA.

Well, if they were considering it they don't have to come out and say so. Who knows if it was true or not, but there was a heck of a lot of smoke to not be a fire.

On January 26, 2016 at 6:02 PM, grmasterb said:

Bull hockey. First, Polian came before Peyton. Had we somehow missed out on the Peyton sweepstakes (And don't say anything about drafting Leaf over Manning. That was never happening.), we don't know how Polian would've constructed the team.  There's a very real chance the Colts could've had success without Manning.

Nobody here is rooting against Peyton Manning. But I feel no obligation to root for the Broncos just because Manning is their QB. Peyton is a great QB and seemingly a good man. But he's no saint, and I don't owe him anything just because he was a great QB here. 

You don't owe him anything? This is 1 of the one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read Grmasterb. So Polian alone is responsible for INDY's Championship then? Yes, Bill played a vital role in constructing INDYs roster while he was GM here sure as he did in Carolina & Buffalo as well. But let's not create the false impression that Manning's contributions in the Hoosier State are a minor detail shall we. Thank you. 

Is somebody holding a gun to your forehead forbidding you from cheering on Cam Newton & company on February 7th? No. Please give me a break. And the Oscar for best over dramatization in a mountain out of a mole hill performance goes to...Drum roll please...

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Peyton "band wagon fans"?  

THE Colts QB from 1998 to 2011, leads the team to more wins in a decade than any team in any decade, EVER, wins the team a Super Bowl, and you have the audacity to call Colts fans of Peyton as being "band wagon" fans!?

Ridiculous, utterly.  

If you don't see the Peyton bandwagon fans around here, you're blind. You know, the ones who wear 18 Broncos jerseys, or the ridiculous half-Colts, half-Broncos jerseys? Or, the ones who spout off that they're no longer Colts fans because they released Manning? Those people.