Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Surely they're going to keep Frank Gore?

DalTXColtsFan

5 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Tired maybe, but the truth, absolutely.  "When he played" is the key part whether your talking about Bradshaw or Sanders, they are of zero value if they can't play which both couldn't too many times. A player that is consistently good for 15 or 16 games is better than one that is great for 3 or 4 games.

More valuable, maybe, but not better. The better player is the better player, regardless of how often/rarely he is available.

I'm shocked when I look at his per carry average.  I would have thought it would have been much higher.  

Talk about eye test, all I know is that when I watch him play, I find myself saying "how'd he find that hole" way, way more than "how could he miss that hole."  I'd keep him.  In fact, I really can't recall many runs where I ended up thinking that he could have gotten more out of that carry.

8 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

No, it's not. That's like saying Bob Sanders wasn't our best safety. When Bradshaw played he was the best back, all 3 years.

You're right about the first two years but he definitely wasn't our best back when he played this year. You could clearly tell that he had lost a step.

6 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

More valuable, maybe, but not better. The better player is the better player, regardless of how often/rarely he is available.

How often the players are available is a large factor in determining which ones are better.  Otherwise, one could say Timmy Smith was a great player because he was great in one game.

Gore will be 33 next season. I say he have 1 more "good" season before his skills start to decline. You can only do so much before your body start to lose against Father Time. Need to pair him up with a good strong power back with speed to take the load off Gore. Even though I like Boom and Varga, I wouldn't mind if Lamar Miller comes to town. 

The one knock against Gore is that he really struggles catching the ball out of the backfield.  A pass-catching RB is a weapon these days and he almost rules out that possibility when on the field.  On those rare occasions that Gore does hold onto the ball, he has some fairly productive moves in space.

Semi-OT but Boom really dropped off since last year.

He looked like crap to end the year.  I wonder if he's "right" physically?  Perhaps his NFL shelf life is expiring early.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think they'll keep him until 2017 when the mother of all RB classes will be in the draft.

Trent Richardson 2.0!

But in all seriousness though, whoever falls down in the 40-yd dash will be the guy we draft.

I like Gore, Hard nosed runner who can hit an invisible hole inside the trenches and gain 6-8 yards.  

Personally, I wish we had grabbed Cris Johnson last year.  Cris still has juice and can hit sideline runs with a vengeance. 

Cris is a free agent again this year since AZ only signed him one year.  Though I expect them to resign him,...if they don't, grabbing him for peanuts to give Gore breathers until the 2017 draft where we spend a high draft pick for a rookie would be my go-to plans for the future.

20 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

He got a lot of flack on the forums during his time here.

Ahhh, yes, all that expert commentary on this forum.

Odd how every running back since has struggled, including Gore and Bradshaw.  I'm trying to think what the common thread might be...?

On 1/9/2016 at 8:02 PM, Pagano's Realtor said:

You're right about the first two years but he definitely wasn't our best back when he played this year. You could clearly tell that he had lost a step.

I'm not so sure he did. We didn't get to see enough before he was hurt. Though, he clearly was still an excellent receiving back, an aspect that Gore was god awful at this year, which is a skill the Colts really could use from their backs.

Gore did about as much as you can expect with the (i) line play; (ii) play calling; and (iii) passing efficiency this year.  Face it, when a QB like Luck had the year he had, and the back ups play like they did, the defensive focus turns to the RB.  Gore had 3.7 ypc.  Bradshaw had 2.7 ypc.  Robinson had 2.3.    With the play of the line this year, neither Gore nor any other RB had a chance, but what Gore did was stay healthy enough to play all 16 games, which is more than any other back can claim.  Get Luck healthy and invest in a good line, and the Colts will get back on track, as will Gore.  He doesn't rely on speed to do what he does.

As for his catching...are those nitpicking that skill aware of his broken finger?  Gore can catch just fine.