Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need Gruden!!

dudley dawson

2 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

He's interested and Irsay needs to go all in on him.  I trust him over any of the other potential candidates, especially Sean Payton (he's done NOTHING since Brees has declined and his defenses routinely stink).  Gruden is the key to our future success.  Go get him Jim!!!

hurl

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Pretty Sure N.O. has had trouble the last few years because due to salary cap mismanagement, they have been hemorrhaging talent for the last few years, not because Payton forgot how to coach

Payton is not your normal HC and him and Loomis do not have a normal GM and HC relationship. Payton can still coach but he's not absolved from the 70 something players they are paying that aren't on the team.

Just now, gspdx said:

Gruden won one SB with someone else's team.  Then began the ugly decline.  I don't know why people are so excited about Gruden.

Well, for starters, I don't put much stock into the "someone else's team" theory of coaching evaluation.  Most coaches aren't GMs -- so virtually all of them are dealing with "someone else's team".  Second, the team Gruden played in the Super Bowl that year was the team he had just left.  So, if you're going to take credit away from him for the Bucs success, don't you owe it back to him for the success the Raiders had?

That said, Gruden wouldn't be my first choice.  I'd much rather see Jim Harbaugh back in Colts blue.  But I don't think that's likely to happen at this time.

3 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Gruden won one SB with someone else's team.  Then began the ugly decline.  I don't know why people are so excited about Gruden.

Gruden also built/coached a Raiders team that went to the Superbowl the year after he left for Tampa, so that kinda flies in the face of that argument....

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I believe most on here attribute Tampa Bay's down fall to poor management and what draft picks 

they nailed where far and few between.

Ill take a super bowl next year if that's Gruden's past success rate.

Just now, Blindside said:

I believe most on here attribute Tampa Bay's down fall to poor management and what draft picks 

they nailed where far and few between.

Ill take a super bowl next year if that's Gruden's past success rate.

See, I think a lot of the credit/blame that coaches get for successes/failures really belongs with the GMs.

I'd say that Bill Polian proved pretty convincingly that a great GM is at least as critical to a team's success than a great coach.  Polian ran three franchises -- and all of them made it to Super Bowls, despite having previously been either non-existent (Panthers) or often mediocre (Bills and Colts).

Just as I think most of the blame for the Colts' current woes belongs with Grigson, I'd say a lot of the success that's been had by the Packers belongs to Thompson, by the Steelers belongs to Colbert, by the Cubs belongs to Epstein, etc.

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I think having a potentially great coach like Gruden scares the willies out of both Irsay and Grigson. The one thing scarier than fear of failure can be fear of success.

But then why did we draft Manning, & Luck?

Besides, there are many 'potential' great coaches.

6 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Because they like him on Monday night football.  Pagano is a way better option than Jon Gruden.  He ran the Bucs into the ground.

Pagano is not a better coach than Gruden. Gruden is a QB guru and a master of the west coast offense.

The only knock on Gruden is this misconception that he had GM powers in Tampa and ran the team into the ground.

This team doesn't need Jon Gruden. This team needs an outstanding DC, an outstanding ILB & MLB, an outstanding OLB pass rusher, a C, and 1-2 more stud OLs.

Get these positions and a HC (Chuck or new hire) that can incorporate a vision without meddling or interruption and this city can once again hoist the VL, not once, but multiple times in a decade.

41 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I think having a potentially great coach like Gruden scares the willies out of both Irsay and Grigson. The one thing scarier than fear of failure can be fear of success.

I guess having a super bowl team pretty much handed to you is classified as being great? It also helps when the team you face in the super bowl you know their playbook.

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Pagano is not a better coach than Gruden. Gruden is a QB guru and a master of the west coast offense.

The only knock on Gruden is this misconception that he had GM powers in Tampa and ran the team into the ground.

Exactly why do you think Gruden is a QB guru? Because he has a camera on him while he ask questions to a QB? If Gruden is so great then why has he been fired from every job he has ever had in the NFL? Why is it that every team he has been with have nothing positive to say about him? Why do the players who have played for him have nothing positive to say about him? The person you see in front of the camera is not the true Gruden . He is more like the Chucky doll towards his players. :D

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly why do you think Gruden is a QB guru? Because he has a camera on him while he ask questions to a QB? If Gruden is so great then why has he been fired from every job he has ever had in the NFL? Why is it that every team he has been with have nothing positive to say about him? Why do the players who have played for him have nothing positive to say about him? The person you see in front of the camera is not the true Gruden . He is more like the Chucky doll towards his players. :D

Because he's gotten the best out of sub par QBs. Rich Gannon wasn't trash but he was a journeyman QB and Gruden took him to the playoffs. He won the Super bowl with Brad Johnson. And then all he had was Brian Griese and still made the playoffs.

And plenty of players have a lot of good things to say about him. Look it up.

And you really think the Bucs don't have anything positive to say about the man who won them their only SB in franchise history? Really? You're smarter than that.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Because he's gotten the best out of sub par QBs. Rich Gannon wasn't trash but he was a journeyman QB and Gruden took him to the playoffs. He won the Super bowl with Brad Johnson. And then all he had was Brian Griese and still made the playoffs.

And plenty of players have a lot of good things to say about him. Look it up.

And you really think the Bucs don't have anything positive to say about the man who won them their only SB in franchise history? Really? You're smarter than that.

No matter how smart you may or may not think I am has zero to do with any fact I have commented on. If you think the Bucs won a super bowl because of the offense and Brad Johnson, then I question how smart are you?

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No matter how smart you may or may not think I am has zero to do with any fact I have commented on. If you think the Bucs won a super bowl because of the offense and Brad Johnson, then I question how smart are you?

No they won because Gruden could do what Dungy couldn't. He won with the same exact team, but finished the job.

I never said the offense won them the Super Bowl but Gruden helped the offense a lot. If you really think it's that easy to win a Super Bowl then you really don't get Football.

4 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

He's interested and Irsay needs to go all in on him.  I trust him over any of the other potential candidates, especially Sean Payton (he's done NOTHING since Brees has declined and his defenses routinely stink).  Gruden is the key to our future success.  Go get him Jim!!!

Absolutely not he is washed up and what has done in the league bearly a .500 coach who got lucky to inherent a good team 

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No they won because Gruden could do what Dungy couldn't. He won with the same exact team, but finished the job.

I never said the offense won them the Super Bowl but Gruden helped the offense a lot. If you really think it's that easy to win a Super Bowl then you really don't get Football.

Just because we don't have the same opinion I find it insulting for you to question how smart you think I am. Just because someone disagrees with you does not make you smarter. You are touching the border of arrogance.

5 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Brees' "decline" put him at 1st place this year in passing yardage. 

Oh yeah, and Sean Payton has some playoff wins after our Super Bowl. Gruden made the playoffs 3 times after 2002, and Tampa Bay was blown out in all 3 playoff games.

You people will never learn, that's why I suggest going and talking to Tampa Bay fans, and allowing them to tell you that Gruden flat out run that team into the ground after Dungy built them up. If Gruden was your coach, he'd be looking to trade Andrew Luck right now after one bad season. That's exactly what he did to Brad Johnson. Go look at the number of starting QB's Tampa Bay had from 2003 to 2008. 

Bash my coach all you want, but he actually understands quarterbacks a hell lot more than Gruden ever did, who expected every QB off the bench to be Rich Gannon 2.0