Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most realistic backup QB options for 2016

bababooey

Most realistic backup QB options for 2016  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most realistic backup QB next year?

• Geno Smith
    • Michael Vick
    • Colin Kaepernick
    • Robert Griffin III
    • Tim Tebow
    • Charlie Whitehurst
    • Matt Hasselbeck
    • Peyton Manning
    • Other

In honor of the release "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Jabba The Hutt. I mean Jamarcus Russell 

Just messing around. The new flick looks fantastic man. JJ Abrahams is going to make me forget how George Lucas royally bleeped up the epic disaster Prequels forever & rekindle my childhood memories again. 

Thank you JJ. Millions of Star Wars fans are eternally grateful to you. No more darn shoot me now Senate dialog. Nice! Bring on the lightsaber battles baby & don't kill the fascinating villain this time. Scare the crap out of me like the 1977 Darth Vader did as a kid again please. 

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I think Peyton would possibly consider coming back home to backup Luck. I mean no team's gonna sign him to start IMO so that's out. And you know he would love to actually retire as a Colt. I think its perfect.

I think Peyton is done and even if he's not he has too much pride to be a backup as he should.  He is one of NFL's all time greats he's not going to end his career backingup the guy who replaced him In Indy.  

As as for him retiring a Colt that could happen but it would be a one day contract thing.

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

To be honest, I'd do two things:

a) Get Colt McCoy to back up Luck as a short term move

b) Also draft a QB like Cody Kessler from USC who like Matt Barkley will fall, and in Cody's case to rounds 6 or 7, IMO. He plays in a Pro style offense and throws outside the pocket with a whole plethora of roll outs and bootlegs

That way, if Luck stays healthy, you can groom a backup as well, IMO.

Colt McCoy in a heartbeat.  Dude can win games.  Everyone underestimates him.

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

In honor of the release "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Jabba The Hutt. I mean Jamarcus Russell 

Just messing around. The new flick looks fantastic man. JJ Abrahams is going to make me forget how George Lucas royally bleeped up the epic disaster Prequels forever & rekindle my childhood memories again. 

Thank you JJ. Millions of Star Wars fans are eternally grateful to you. No more darn shoot me now Senate dialog. Nice! Bring on the lightsaber battles baby & don't kill the fascinating villain this time. Scare the crap out of me like the 1977 Darth Vader did as a kid again please. 

You have won the forum for 2 days until I can get my fix :-) 

7 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Yeah... that one point wasnt very long though...

He did only play 16 games in a season 3 times so that don't help but those 3 seasons he has 22 or more TD's and 4000+ yards every year of those 3 including 4,770 yards in 2009 which led the league. It could blow up in our face but most QB's wont have the production and experience he does starting. I know it don't seem like it at the moment given his struggles in the last 2 games but we actually got fortunate picking him up Hasselbeck...and would be with Schaub given most backups don't come with the production they have

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Cool story there GC! People will say my Big Blue bias is showing again & I will probably be the one saying that. 

I just like this kid's arm, football IQ, & mobility on the field. He won't embarrass you with his play & even if he throws a pick, he has selective amnesia & can still move the ball down the field. Turnovers don't cripple him mentally. 

I watch all Big Blue's preseason games every year & Ryan Nassib is decent with room to grow. 

I honestly thought of Nassib as someone to list but wasn't sure what his situation was going to be. Eli did just get an extension. Lots of people were actually calling for him to start when Eli has hit rough patchers over the last few years.

7 hours ago, bababooey said:

I honestly thought of Nassib as someone to list but wasn't sure what his situation was going to be. Eli did just get an extension. Lots of people were actually calling for him to start when Eli has hit rough patchers over the last few years.

Since backup QB Jim S-orgi went from INDY to NY, it seems fitting that Nassib would go from the east coast to the Midwest. 

You've good a darn good grasp of the NFL landscape Bbby. Well said my man. :thmup:

51 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The oline is terrible,   no question.    But neither qb was injured in the pocket

Yes they were. Luck was beaten to death in the pocket all year, and finally took the back breaking blow on the run.

Hasselbeck throws the ball out so quickly cuz he's sick of getting blasted. How many sacks has he taken? 

Whitehurst's jersey was dirty after the first play he came in on. That has to suck lol

On 12/16/2015 at 0:15 PM, MTC said:

I would draft a QB.

I would to....like Harnish. But I would also pay for the 2nd backup to be a veteran that can step in and help. Not gonna let the season ride on Mr. Irrelevant if Luck goes down and definitely NOT spending anything higher than a 6th round pick on a QB when we have glaring holes and Luck is about to get paid.

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Cmon man, you know what I mean. 

We wouldn't be on our 3rd QB if our O-Line was actually protecting the QB 

Romo's line is pretty good I hear, yet he was injured as well and in the pocket. Maybe we need our QBs to play better in addition to adding some better linemen.

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The oline is terrible,   no question.    But neither qb was injured in the pocket

Why were they out of the pocket?  On a designed roll out?  No.  They were out of the pocket because the protection breaks down so fast they are running for their lives.  That gets Qbs killed too.

1 minute ago, colts_mp said:

Why were they out of the pocket?  On a designed roll out?  No.  They were out of the pocket because the protection breaks down so fast they are running for their lives.  That gets Qbs killed too.

Luck was running for the first down on the injury shot, albeit he does have to scramble a lot more than others.

If we can find a Frank Reich or Jeff Hostetler out there, I am all for it. Like Hass, a guy who can win a few games if Luck is out. That said, we are seeing now why Hasslebeck is a backup. He is 40. He got drilled once the line was banged up (Holmes and Castonzo being out DID hurt this team). When he came in the first time he was barely touched. Bc the line was playing pretty well. The last two weeks however, it has been a disaster.

He just isn't up to playing 6-7 games a year, not at his age. 

Let's face it, when Luck went down, and we are in any other division (except the NFC East) we would have been done weeks ago. Hasslebeck has done his best, but he hit the wall, and hard. 

Same goes for future seasons. Manning never missed a start until 2011 and we all know how that season turned out. Luck is the franchise. Get a line that can protect him, work with him to get the ball out faster, and get a backup that could handle 2 games or so without sinking the ship. Asking any more is just a fool's errand. 

I am laughing my butt off at all of you that think PMoney would ever be a backup QB.  He's not gonna be our backup QB, he's not gonna be our OC and he's not gonna be GM or head coach...

If anything he will be with ESPN or NFLN or just ride off into the sunset like Favre finally did.

I almost forgot that Derek Anderson was even playing football anymore until Cam Newton went out for 1 play & Derek gets a critical third down conversion like child's play like he'd been playing all 4 quarters. I was shocked how easily he just completed the pass like he'd gotten the 1st team reps all week. 

I know Anderson likes Carolina & won't leave, but darn he looked great on 3rd & long. Like shooting fish in a barrel man. 

On 12/16/2015 at 10:27 PM, chad72 said:

To be honest, I'd do two things:

a) Get Colt McCoy to back up Luck as a short term move

b) Also draft a QB like Cody Kessler from USC who like Matt Barkley will fall, and in Cody's case to rounds 6 or 7, IMO. He plays in a Pro style offense and throws outside the pocket with a whole plethora of roll outs and bootlegs

That way, if Luck stays healthy, you can groom a backup as well, IMO.

Building through the draft!? That makes too much sense! Why would we do that when we can just sign players from Canada and Rugby?