Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O-Line Step-Up/Rest Of Season

ColtRider

The oline has been getting better since they went to the new lineup in the Titans game and outside of one snap in the Panthers game Harrison has played pretty well. So I am not sure what some mean by stepup because I think this is about as good as this unit to play. Are they perfect with no room for upgrades? Far from it, but just because we want them to be pro-bowlers doesn't mean they are going to magically transform into them. This is a so so unit but it's probably the best group the colts have on the roster and they aren't playing that awful, they are playing fairly well.

The oline has been getting better since they went to the new lineup in the Titans game and outside of one snap in the Panthers game Harrison has played pretty well. So I am not sure what some mean by stepup because I think this is about as good as this unit to play. Are they perfect with no room for upgrades? Far from it, but just because we want them to be pro-bowlers doesn't mean they are going to magically transform into them. This is a so so unit but it's probably the best group the colts have on the roster and they aren't playing that awful, they are playing fairly well.

Chud will clean up some things i am confident.

If playing fairly well is a 5-6 on a 10 scale... they require a lot of help from the te`s and backs. Go Team!

Although I agree with what you've mentioned, remember, we have a 40 year-old taking snaps. MH is very intelligent, gets the ball out quickly, and knows how to QB. This doesn't mean that the O-Line can't keep that in mind. This isn't Andrew Luck's body back there. As far as "step-up", the meaning by definition is exactly that. Step-up. To another degree of effort. Does that not come into play?

Although I agree with what you've mentioned, remember, we have a 40 year-old taking snaps. MH is very intelligent, gets the ball out quickly, and knows how to QB. This doesn't mean that the O-Line can't keep that in mind. This isn't Andrew Luck's body back there. As far as "step-up", the meaning by definition is exactly that. Step-up. To another degree of effort. Does that not come into play?

not really because they have been playing well and frankly probably about as good as this group can play. Again, are they perfect? No, but they aren't going to be either. A lot of the hits Luck was taking came from either holding the ball too long because no one was open or getting out and running and not sliding. If anyone needs to step-up IMO it's the recievers, just about everyone thought they were going to be this unstoppable unit and they have been anything but. If they do a better job getting open then the line isn't going to be a issue rather it's Matt or Luck back there.

Look, I get the optimism here. I really do. I'm as optimistic as they come. To me, a decent O-Line, whose franchise QB has been hit more times than Google for a variety of reasons (not just Luck's fault) and is out because of injury to those reasons, cannot dismiss the fact of not stepping up their play.

I'd like some feedback to the thread question. No one has answered it.

If you're looking for an answer to your question I'd have to consult my crystal ball.  I'll get back to you on that.

What I *think* will happen depends on what kind of game we scheme.  Clearly  we'll be running the ball a bit

more with Frank and Ahmad (now that he's getting more into game condition) so the heavy burden on the O-Line

will diminish a bit.  If the line plays better than they did against Denver then we'll win out the rest of the season.

My opinion, of course...

Hasselback has been good at getting the ball out quickly.  I would imagine Chud would run more short passes, plenty of run plays and play action.  He was successful in his two games at QB and didn't get beat up too bad.  If he does go out, things will get ugly for sure.  At that point, it just depends how long until Luck comes back.  I certainly would makr every game with a 3rd string QB losses especially with the Falcons, Bucs and Steelers as the next three games.  They will be tough games even with Hasselback or Luck. 

If Matt Hasselbeck goes down,  the rest of the season turns into 4-12 or maybe 5-11.

Kind of a 2011 flashback....

And there it is.

Thank you for answering the question. So, if the team ends up with 4-12 or 5-11 no matter what, where do the Colts go from there? And, getting back to the O-Line, my reference to "stepping-up" seems to have been taken lightly. My concern with MH is very much so. Do you think the O-Line has that mentality of "stepping-up" to the degree of consciencely & constantly doing whatever it takes to protect Matt in the pocket/on the run, etc. (even at the cost of penalty)? I posed this thread to get a read on these very things.

Look, I get the optimism here. I really do. I'm as optimistic as they come. To me, a decent O-Line, whose franchise QB has been hit more times than Google for a variety of reasons (not just Luck's fault) and is out because of injury to those reasons, cannot dismiss the fact of not stepping up their play.

I'd like some feedback to the thread question. No one has answered it.

I'd say we'd win the super bowl cuz Jesus will be at QB.

Duh !

Every single member of the line this year has had bad games. Seems like all at different times. If they could all get on the same page and put together a few good games in a row, I think that would be awesome. The line isn't as bad as people claim, but it's far from being a strength.

To answer the question, if MH goes down, we're toast. Some are still hoping that Luck comes back within a couple weeks, but I'm resigned to him missing the whole six weeks. If we have to start Whitehurst, or play him more than a couple series, it will be really bad. Not because he's so terrible (he isn't good, but he's better than Dan Orlovsky, and this roster and staff are better than the 2011 roster and staff), but because he just got here and can't possibly know the offense and his teammates.

Hopefully, the line can continue to run block without being penalized, and then some pressure is taken off of MH over the next month. Hopefully he gets rid of the ball quickly and the receivers make plays. Hopefully we protect well enough for a few intermediate to deep shots each game (I don't think MH hit any deep balls in his two weeks starting). 

Every single member of the line this year has had bad games. Seems like all at different times. If they could all get on the same page and put together a few good games in a row, I think that would be awesome. The line isn't as bad as people claim, but it's far from being a strength.

To answer the question, if MH goes down, we're toast. Some are still hoping that Luck comes back within a couple weeks, but I'm resigned to him missing the whole six weeks. If we have to start Whitehurst, or play him more than a couple series, it will be really bad. Not because he's so terrible (he isn't good, but he's better than Dan Orlovsky, and this roster and staff are better than the 2011 roster and staff), but because he just got here and can't possibly know the offense and his teammates.

Hopefully, the line can continue to run block without being penalized, and then some pressure is taken off of MH over the next month. Hopefully he gets rid of the ball quickly and the receivers make plays. Hopefully we protect well enough for a few intermediate to deep shots each game (I don't think MH hit any deep balls in his two weeks starting).

Thank you, MOS! Seriously, thanks. When I decided to throw this question into a thread, this was the intended responses I thought I'd receive along with other points of view. I, in no way, wanted to throw salt into an already festering wound (Luck, out). I really got to thinking about this last night and what resources the Colts could fall back on with Whitehurst at the helm if MH went down. So, to get back to the subject, if this were to happen, would this in any way shape or form make an impact for next season from Irsay, Grigson, and the coaching staff(s) that may or may not be here?

I'm a planner by nature. I like to look long term and scope possible scenarios & solutions on what ifs. I know that you can "what if" yourself into a frenzy. However, I just like to think that I'm covering my bases for the future. I guess some took me the wrong way.

My bad.

Thank you for answering the question. So, if the team ends up with 4-12 or 5-11 no matter what, where do the Colts go from there? And, getting back to the O-Line, my reference to "stepping-up" seems to have been taken lightly. My concern with MH is very much so. Do you think the O-Line has that mentality of "stepping-up" to the degree of consciencely & constantly doing whatever it takes to protect Matt in the pocket/on the run, etc. (even at the cost of penalty)? I posed this thread to get a read on these very things.

As Superman said, Chud has to get this line on the same page.  The good part is MH is not going to make too many runs like Luck, they just need to keep him safe in the pocket.  Oddly, the Colts o-line has only allowed 18 sacks, being the 20th most/12th least, but they have allowed the 4th most QB hits.  Other teams at the top of the hit list, are also at the top of the sack list.  Part of it could be the QBs, mainly Luck, taking hits to complete passes or make plays.  But on the other end you can say he is getting the ball off quick enough not to take the sack.  Either way, improvement needs to be made from the personnel and play calling should be adjusted. 

As far as what if Hasselbeck goes down and where do the Colts go from there?  Expect Irsay to clean house(fire Grigson and not resign Pagano), a top ten draft pick, hopefully a pass rusher and a draft with key offensive line positions drafted in the early to mid rounds.  

I think the O-LINE will step-up to the best of their ability.     I think running the "Hasselbeck Offense" (more 3 and 5 step drops and less 7 step drops) will help the whole offense run better.

I think a recent thread showed the line is actually not doing too terribly.    I thought I had read here that they're roughly ranked in the lower teens,  so roughly average....

If I'm wrong here (and I might be)  then I'm sure someone will come along and correct me....

A simplified offense with Chud making the calls and Matt executing things will be better for all....     That's my hope at least....

I think Matt hit one late in the Houston game off a 3 or 5 step drop,  up the left (far) sidelines to TY Hilton on a 3rd down.    I think it went for about 40-45 yards or so, but I think it clinched the game for the Colts.

So you want the unit that's been the best to step up? Not anyone else?

TK, that's not what I meant by stepping up. Like I stated in a later post, my bad. Should've worded it better. What I meant was, do you think the O-Line will make a concerted effort to protect MH at all costs despite penalties & the like, knowing that if he falls to injury, it could change the course of the Colts on much grander scale for the rest of the season & next? And yes, it's not just the line that has to step up. Receivers, the defense, the run, et.al have to step up as well in order to make a run for the rest of the season, and deep into the Playoffs. (if we make it)

Read my response to Superman's post, as well. Thanks.

TK, that's not what I meant by stepping up. Like I stated in a later post, my bad. Should've worded it better. What I meant was, do you think the O-Line will make a concerted effort to protect MH at all costs despite penalties & the like, knowing that if he falls to injury, it could change the course of the Colts on much grander scale for the rest of the season & next? And yes, it's not just the line that has to step up. Receivers, the defense, the run, et.al have to step up as well in order to make a run for the rest of the season, and deep into the Playoffs. (if we make it)

Read my response to Superman's post, as well. Thanks.

The offensive line isn't the problem though. They protected Matt well against the Texans

Matt gets the ball out quicker than Andrew

He'll be fine. I'd think the coaches should wanna step up more than anybody. Get the running game going to help Hasselbeck

I will be watching how the OL "looks" without Andrew back there.

The OL showed improvement last week. Was it them or better playcalling and getting the ball away quicker?

I wonder just how much Luck's taking a beating (in pocket area) and what we see as poor OL play are related, and in fact feed off each other.

I think the OL can be MUCH better as long as the OC and QB help them out a little.

Its a bummer about Andrew, but this is an exciting time too. We can now clearly se what talent we have around him.

I will be watching how the OL "looks" without Andrew back there.

The OL showed improvement last week. Was it them or better playcalling and getting the ball away quicker?

I wonder just how much Luck's taking a beating (in pocket area) and what we see as poor OL play are related, and in fact feed off each other.

I think the OL can be MUCH better as long as the OC and QB help them out a little.

Its a bummer about Andrew, but this is an exciting time too. We can now clearly se what talent we have around him.

Now that. That's what I've been looking for. Nice, WM!