Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King Reports Colts And Manning Open To Pushing Back Date

GoColts8818

Peter King just said on the NBC pregame show that he is hearing that both the Colts and Peyton Manning are open to pushing back the date he is due to get his roster bonus. Clearly there could be several reasons for this.

Dungy was asked what he thought and he said Irsay makes decisions as much with his heart as he doe swith this head and because of this he thinks Manning will be our QB next year and we will draft Luck. He also said that Polian was looking really hard at RGIII.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter King just said on the NBC pregame show that he is hearing that both the Colts and Peyton Manning are open to pushing back the date he is due to get his roster bonus. Clearly there could be several reasons for this.

Dungy was asked what he thought and he said Irsay makes decisions as much with his heart as he doe swith this head and because of this he thinks Manning will be our QB next year and we will draft Luck. He also said that Polian was looking really hard at RGIII.

Just saw that. One reason could be the trade date. But even with that, I'm not sure what this means.

Just saw that. One reason could be the trade date. But even with that, I'm not sure what this means.

Could very well be.

It could also be if Manning wants to be here he wants to give the Colts as long as they can to see if he's healthy knowing that if they are unsure about his health they will release him.

By the same token if he wants out and knows the Colts wont release him it's worth it to him to push the date back to it possiable to look into a trade with him.

This move has much more to do with Manning's recovery than it does the trade date. If Manning is traded his roster/signing bonus become immediately due in full and will count against the Colts 2012 cap. What I think this really does is give the medical staff a chance to evaluate Manning much closer to the draft so the team can make the most "up to date" decision based on Manning's condition. Remember that he has still not passed a physical to PLAY football in the NFL. They want to see this before making any final decisions in the draft.

I found it interesting that Dungy just mentioned Irsay making decisions as much with his heart as his head and thinking Caldwell will be here next season, I personally think the Caldwell decision will depend on the GM he wants to hire. I wouldnt mind RGIII however I still think luck is our best chance at continuing the great legacy the Colts have built over the last decade, and I really believe that if we are to win another superbowl in the next 3 years Manning is the guy for us to do that with.

wow i wasnt expecting pollian to like RGIII. what are the reasons to push back the date?

btw i have no doubt that jim wants luck and he wants PM on the same roster, i just dont see how he is going to make it work...maybe they both are on the team..but at what cost? would we even compete?

If Peyton pushes back the date the Colts could trade him(if healthy) and get a ransom to go with Luck. Not saying that's what they should do or will do but it is a possibility for all of you looking at this as a good sign. I still think this might be the right move for Manning if he REALLY wants another SB because I don't see it happening here in just a couple of years.

I can only see good things coming from this. Maybe Manning will, yet again, restructure his contract so that he can get/keep more all star players around him for a serious run at the SB.

I'm not buying this, but if it were to happen, then it will come with some concessions. I.e.(a no trade clause where Manning would have to agree to a move), (an agreement about what direction the franchise is headed),

If Manning wants out, he's better off not moving the due date and forcing the Colts to make a decision. Moving the date would give away a lot of leverage that he does have.

I'm not buying this, but if it were to happen, then it will come with some concessions. I.e.(a no trade clause where Manning would have to agree to a move), (an agreement about what direction the franchise is headed),

If Manning wants out, he's better off not moving the due date and forcing the Colts to make a decision. Moving the date would give away a lot of leverage that he does have.

That's true as well. I don't see him being THAT loyal to help the Colts and hurt whatever team he would be going to. Pushing the date back could mean that his recovery is not going as well as expected. I guess it could also mean he only wants to play for the Colts but he doesn't want them to have to pay that big bonus if in fact he never comes back again. Still so much up in the air.

If Peyton pushes back the date the Colts could trade him(if healthy) and get a ransom to go with Luck. Not saying that's what they should do or will do but it is a possibility for all of you looking at this as a good sign. I still think this might be the right move for Manning if he REALLY wants another SB because I don't see it happening here in just a couple of years.

I really hope this is the case. Im one of the few saying we should etiher have Luck or Manning on the roster, NOT BOTH. We would have way too much money tied up in the QB position not being able to fill the rest of the team with talent and therefore NO SUPERBOWLS!! I personally would rather go fresh with Luck and see what we could get for Manning giving Luck as much talent around him as possible. I just worry Peyton could only have 2 years or so left and Luck is here for awhile.

That's true as well. I don't see him being THAT loyal to help the Colts and hurt whatever team he would be going to. Pushing the date back could mean that his recovery is not going as well as expected. I guess it could also mean he only wants to play for the Colts but he doesn't want them to have to pay that big bonus if in fact he never comes back again. Still so much up in the air.

I agree, there is no reason for him to hurt his new team and it is not like there would be a windfall of picks considering his situation.

It could mean that, but from everything I've read, his situation will be as good as its going to get before the due date, so that might not play into it.

If he knows he's done, then he retires and they don't pay the option.

Dude why are you siding with Peyton on this? We want to do whats best for the FRANCHISE! I have no problem with Peyton and Irsay doing this and I could definately see it happening unlike yourself.

Dude why are you siding with Peyton on this? We want to do whats best for the FRANCHISE! I have no problem with Peyton and Irsay doing this and I could definately see it happening unlike yourself.

It's not siding with anyone. Just viewing both sides of the road. I don't see the logic of doing it from Peyton's perspective if he's not going to be here, and if he does move, it will come with some form of concession from the Colts.

I am not a NFL contract guru so I am asking this in hopes someone else on here knows...... If Peyton pushes it back does that then allow Colts to trade him prior to taking the $28M bonus?

That could be an option depending on the agreed up on date. He would still account for 10.6 million against our salary cap, but if they found a team to accept the terms of his contract(not likely minus an extremely thorough physical and medical review and workout), prior to paying him the option bonus, then that would be the other teams problem.

Im thinking this could be a trade or renegociate the contract.... but i kinda figured the part about RGIII... and i still think the colts will draft him, the colts are in a rebuilding stage you cant "rebuild" with a backup which is what luck would be... trading him would bring draft picks for sure.

That could be an option depending on the agreed up on date. He would still account for 10.6 million against our salary cap, but if they found a team to accept the terms of his contract(not likely minus an extremely thorough physical and medical review and workout), prior to paying him the option bonus, then that would be the other teams problem.

Thanks. I think if that does end up happening pending on the push back date this could open up more speculations on what we will do and offers even more options to the franchise.

Im thinking this could be a trade or renegociate the contract.... but i kinda figured the part about RGIII... and i still think the colts will draft him, the colts are in a rebuilding stage you cant "rebuild" with a backup which is what luck would be... trading him would bring draft picks for sure.

Why do people still assume Manning is coming back when it is still WAY up in the air?

Why do people still assume Manning is coming back when it is still WAY up in the air?

Why would you NOT assume that?... if anything it makes sense to get him and not draft luck and get RGIII which is what im guessing BP was going to do from the way the OP sounded.

Manning doesnt want to leave he has always said he wanted to retire a Colt. Yes business is business but if you havent paid attention to his history with the team he is willing to do what it takes to win and what is best for the team

Manning doesnt want to leave he has always said he wanted to retire a Colt. Yes business is business but if you havent paid attention to his history with the team he is willing to do what it takes to win and what is best for the team

Whats with your avatar? Lol

Why would you NOT assume that?... if anything it makes sense to get him and not draft luck and get RGIII which is what im guessing BP was going to do from the way the OP sounded.

The BP thing makes it even more likely Irsay is sold on Luck. In the presser he didn't sound too confident about Manning's future as far as being able to sustain hits and his long term health. That's why I would not assume that. The fact that Manning may be willing to push the date back could be more evidence we may have seen the last of his football career.(heaven forbid)

Its so laughable that Dungy loves Griffin (refuse to go with the stupid moniker). Dungy still tries to influence the Colts from afar. Luck is as close to a guarantee as there is for a future elite level NFL QB. Griffin is a huge gamble a huge, inexperienced, undersized, lacking big game competition...gamble. Theres no chance the Colts draft Griffin.

Oh I know his history fairly well. He's retooled his contract each and every time asked, and volunteered to do so a few times that they didn't take him up on it.

Like you said business is business, and retooling his contract is business and if he does it this time there will be some incentive to him and protections for him doing so.

What??? You say they won't draft Luck because he'd be a backup, but then you say they'll draft RG3(which they will not BTW). How does that make even the smallest bit of sense?

RG3 is that good Polian knew he had to do his homework not to >>> this one up. Andrew Luck is not the consensus overall #1 and will lose more ground to Griffin once the combine rolls around

While you're at it oh fortune teller please tell me who's going to win the superbowl this year and by how much? You don't know at all that Griffin will gain ground on Luck when it comes to the #1 pick. We don't know what will happen till the draft when it comes to the final stock of the players.

Polian was fired. If anything it means maybe Irsay wanted luck and polian wanted rg3.

Agree or disagree, I hope our GM, goes over every throw that Luck, RGIII, JBIV, BSV, and every QB ranked to go in the top 3 rounds and looks at free agent options as well.

I sure hope they do their due diligence as opposed to just setting their sights on one man.

For the record JBIV and BSV are made up names, so I'm not attempting to stump anyone.

Polian was fired. If anything it means maybe Irsay wanted luck and polian wanted rg3.

Not that I really take anything Dungy reports as credible, but If he thought Polian would seriously pick RG3 over Luck, then Polian was either lying to him because he knew Dungy would run his mouth about it on TV, or its true that Polian had flat lost his freakin mind.

This is good...

that means the draft may occur BEFORE Irsay has to extend Manning..

Manning doesnt need the money (easy for me to say)

I'd bet he just wants to play...and the chance to convice Irsay he can