Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King Reports Colts And Manning Open To Pushing Back Date

GoColts8818

If it were so WAY up in the air, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Manning would be retired and we would have nothing to discuss.

True..if Manning's surgery had not been successful....it would be all over for him

..or he a t least would have another surgery.

That does not seem to be the case..

Its all about timing now.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Brandt on twitter:

So does this tweet mean that the players union will not allow them to push the date back. If thats the case, People should really start wrapping their minds around Manning not being here. No way Irsay hands out 28 million if Manning is not 100% at that time.

Peyton must have felt bad he got paid this season for doing nothing and let them push it back.... guy should be in there restructuring the deal so if/when they select Luck we can still have room to pick up some pieces.

Yeah, you're right. He hasn't done enough for this franchise. I'm sure he was way more ticked off than you were that he had to sit this season out. I can't believe anyone who claims to be a Colts fan would even dream of insinuating that Peyton Manning values his financial interests over putting a quality team on the field.

Okay let's play a what if game.

Before we do this though I want to state I think Manning is coming back and we are drafting Luck so if you just want to respond to tell me Manning will be a Colts next year or we can't have both that's fine but that's not really the point of this.

Let's say Manning comes back healthy and pushes back his due date on his bonus and we decide to trade him what is your asking price for Peyton Manning?

Dude why are you siding with Peyton on this? We want to do whats best for the FRANCHISE! I have no problem with Peyton and Irsay doing this and I could definately see it happening unlike yourself.

Since when are Peyton and "the FRANCHISE" on opposite sides? Maybe he realizes that without Peyton there is no franchise.

Thank god Polian was fired. Imagine if he drafted RG3 instead of Luck? imagine the outrage on this forum..

To be fair Dungy never said Polian was going to draft RG3 over Luck he just said he was watching a lot of tape on RG3 and it would not have shocked Dungy if he took RG3 becuase according to Dungy Polian thinks outside the box and sighted the Edge pick as an example. What he failed to mention was that the year before Polian took Manning when while it was debated a good chunk of people figured Manning would be the top pick so it wasn't nearly as thinking outside the box as Edge was. I wouldn't read too much into what Dungy said because 1, Polian isn't here and 2. as Patrick pretty much called Dungy out for being a RG3 lover right after his comments as to suggest that was more Dungy's thought than Poilan. I am not shocked at all that Polian was watching tape on RG3 remember till he day before he was fired we hadn't locked up the top pick and he was doing his homework.

RG3,McNabb,Vick,Young,McNair and that desaster in Oakland. Athletes,loads of talent,can throw the ball a long ways, very exiting.Down side, can't read defenses,no leadership skills, brake and run nine times out of ten. Every year the talking heads try to push these guy's up to the top of the QB ranks. Look how many years the Steelers wasted on Cordell stewert. Jacksonville blew it with thier brillint starters until this year. Pocket passers that study film and only make the news on the field,and leave nite clubs before closing time will be NFL elite quarterbacks. Robert Griffin 111 will live down to expectations.

RG3,McNabb,Vick,Young,McNair and that desaster in Oakland. Athletes,loads of talent,can throw the ball a long ways, very exiting.Down side, can't read defenses,no leadership skills, brake and run nine times out of ten. Every year the talking heads try to push these guy's up to the top of the QB ranks. Look how many years the Steelers wasted on Cordell stewert. Jacksonville blew it with thier brillint starters until this year. Pocket passers that study film and only make the news on the field,and leave nite clubs before closing time will be NFL elite quarterbacks. Robert Griffin 111 will live down to expectations.

I would say it's very unfair to drop McNair in that group. He was a very good QB in this league for a lot of years and took a team to the Super Bowl and won an MVP award.

Peyton must have felt bad he got paid this season for doing nothing and let them push it back.... guy should be in there restructuring the deal so if/when they select Luck we can still have room to pick up some pieces.

Ummm...actually he was the one who CHOSE to take less money than was offered to him in order for the rest of the team to have more, remember? And he has always structured/restructured his contract when they needed him too. He has a new contract now. Isn't it a little soon to ask him to redo it already?

So does this tweet mean that the players union will not allow them to push the date back. If thats the case, People should really start wrapping their minds around Manning not being here. No way Irsay hands out 28 million if Manning is not 100% at that time.

Totally agree and I just don't see Manning being 100% in 8 short weeks as slow as the nerve regeneration has been going so far. The clock is ticking.

Since when are Peyton and "the FRANCHISE" on opposite sides? Maybe he realizes that without Peyton there is no franchise.

We will move on with or without Peyton.

He has done a lot for this city. He got us LOS and kept the colts here in Indy. But that doesn't mean the new gm and Irsay won't trade/release him. Would be sad to see him go but they gotta decide what's best for the colts not PM.

Totally agree and I just don't see Manning being 100% in 8 short weeks as slow as the nerve regeneration has been going so far. The clock is ticking.

Why are people spreading misinformation like this?

Manning was practicing in pads with teammates a month ago throwing with good velocity using the same script that the starting QB (Orlovsky) used. He wanted to play!

He could have passed his physical but failed so he could use team facilities and trainers to continue rehab.

Why are people spreading misinformation like this?

Manning was practicing in pads with teammates a month ago throwing with good velocity using the same script that the starting QB (Orlovsky) used. He wanted to play!

He could have passed his physical but failed so he could use team facilities and trainers to continue rehab.

This guy again

One reason for this could be that you can only negotiate one contract per league year.

Manning's bonus is due before the new league year starts, thus could be the reason that he can't redo the deal to push it back.

I didn't think it could be redone yet. Makes sense.

I really hope this is the case. Im one of the few saying we should etiher have Luck or Manning on the roster, NOT BOTH. We would have way too much money tied up in the QB position not being able to fill the rest of the team with talent and therefore NO SUPERBOWLS!! I personally would rather go fresh with Luck and see what we could get for Manning giving Luck as much talent around him as possible. I just worry Peyton could only have 2 years or so left and Luck is here for awhile.

I agree that having both QBs ties up too much money, but aren't we kind of >>>ed in that regard? In order for us to have manning in the position to trade him, we're still gonna have to pay that big bonus aren't we? Otherwise, we'd have to trade him and his contract and the other team has to pony up the bonus money. Would anyone be willing to give up draft picks for the right to Manning and the right to pay that huge bonus? Doubtful.

The BP thing makes it even more likely Irsay is sold on Luck. In the presser he didn't sound too confident about Manning's future as far as being able to sustain hits and his long term health. That's why I would not assume that. The fact that Manning may be willing to push the date back could be more evidence we may have seen the last of his football career.(heaven forbid)

As for the Luck or Griffin thing either of those QB's will be awesome for the colts, just thinking of a scrambling QB makes me happy... as for manning what the colts have always wanted (if they were willing to keep him) would be to push the date back so i dont think its anything bad about peytons health, it surely has to do with his contract i know that.

What??? You say they won't draft Luck because he'd be a backup, but then you say they'll draft RG3(which they will not BTW). How does that make even the smallest bit of sense?

Im sure you dont need me explaining this.. RGIII still has raw talent compared to luck who just looks like he could start any time... common sense is if you have peyton "healthy" then you trade down and draft griffin while geting another 1st round pick... i mean it makes all the sense in the world... but i understand if peyton isnt healthy then you draft luck because you dont have the time of brining someone along slowly (not sayiing that Griffin needs that)

How come everyone is ignoring the post that said that the NFLPA says the date can't be moved back.

I'll be honest I don't know who the guy is that tweeted it also, I've seen often times when the NFLPA says something can't happen it means we don't want it to happen. I am not saying they are wrong because they could very well be right. I don't know enough about the CBA to say if they are right or wrong. Like someone else said in this thread it would make sense that a player can't sign two contracts in one league year which might be what has to happen for it happen. I am sure now that it's been reported one of these NFL guru's will figure it out if it can happen or not and tell us.

This move has much more to do with Manning's recovery than it does the trade date. If Manning is traded his roster/signing bonus become immediately due in full and will count against the Colts 2012 cap. What I think this really does is give the medical staff a chance to evaluate Manning much closer to the draft so the team can make the most "up to date" decision based on Manning's condition. Remember that he has still not passed a physical to PLAY football in the NFL. They want to see this before making any final decisions in the draft.

Exactly.

No way manning is 85-90% recovered like some yahoos are saying.

I'll be honest I don't know who the guy is that tweeted it also, I've seen often times when the NFLPA says something can't happen it means we don't want it to happen. I am not saying they are wrong because they could very well be right. I don't know enough about the CBA to say if they are right or wrong. Like someone else said in this thread it would make sense that a player can't sign two contracts in one league year which might be what has to happen for it happen. I am sure now that it's been reported one of these NFL guru's will figure it out if it can happen or not and tell us.

The guy who tweeted is a legal expert who I followed during the lockout. He seemed to know the ins and outs of everything, but this sounds like no one quite knows for sure.

http://www.huffingto...m/andrew-brandt

Andrew Brandt is president of a new and successful interactive web site --

The National Football Post

-- featuring news, information and experienced insider insight and analysis on America's most popular sports league, the NFL. The site is

nationalfootballpost.com

and has received a strong initial response and critical acclaim.

Brandt is also a Lecturer in Sports Business at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, teaching Sports Law and Negotiations.

After attending Stanford University and Georgetown University Law Center, Brandt has had a career on both sides of professional sports. Brandt has been a player representative, first for ProServ in Washington, DC, representing top athletes such as Michael Jordan and Boomer Esiason -- and later for Woolf Associates in Boston, representing NFL players including Matt Hasselbeck, Adam Vinatieri and Ricky Williams.

Brandt has also spent many years on the team side of professional sports, first as the inaugural General Manager of the Barcelona Dragons in the NFL's World League, at that time the youngest general manager in professional sports, and then in the NFL.

Brandt was Vice President of the Green Bay Packers from 1999-2008, negotiating all player contracts, managing the NFL Salary Cap and handling football operations. And, in the 2009 NFL offseason, Brandt consulted for the Philadelphia Eagles, handling player contract negotiations and Salary Cap management.

Brandt is a regular contributor to the Fox Business News, ESPN Radio and Sporting News Radio; and a sought-after speaker on the Business of Sports.

Brandt plays jazz piano and enjoys competing in 5k races and triathlons. Born in Washington, D.C., Andrew and his wife, Lisa, have two sons.

He's legit.. Like an unbiased and better credentialed Florio. Well I shouldn't even put Florio in the same sentence.

So you're basically saying that black QBs can't be considered elite? I find you're statement to be very racist to say the least.

My understanding is that Griffin is very intelligent and has exceptional leadership skils. McNabb was an excellent QB in his prime, as was McNair.

I can't believe anyone who claims to be a Colts fan would even dream of insinuating that Peyton Manning values his financial interests over putting a quality team on the field.

Well when he pays some back and/or comes in and restructures we can lay that to rest ...

Isn't it a little soon to ask him to redo it already?

Considering he didnt play a down this year and we have no idea if he will be back or not - No, its not too early.

I'm not buying this, but if it were to happen, then it will come with some concessions. I.e.(a no trade clause where Manning would have to agree to a move), (an agreement about what direction the franchise is headed),

If Manning wants out, he's better off not moving the due date and forcing the Colts to make a decision. Moving the date would give away a lot of leverage that he does have.

Manning doesn't want out and Irsay doesn't want him gone. IMHO.

28 million is a pittance compared to the amount of jack and esteem that Jim has received since 2000, due in a large part to the presence of Peyton Manning. I am amazed at how fans become selfish for wins and throw any loyalty out the window. This isn't just a great QB who brought us all a championship, he is the freaking goat who helped bring Jim's Colts from the bottom to the top.

I go on record that even if PM does not heal one bit more between now and when the contract must be signed (however they work that out), Jim will pay him the money.

I think everyone needs to remember the new rule that is going into effect this year. The largest contract a NFL rookie can sign is a 4 year 16 million dollar contract. So that would mean Luck would make 4 million a year. Unless I am wrong, I don't understand how all of the sportscasters are saying the Colts will have 50 million wrapped up in one position next year.

I think everyone needs to remember the new rule that is going into effect this year. The largest contract a NFL rookie can sign is a 4 year 16 million dollar contract. So that would mean Luck would make 4 million a year. Unless I am wrong, I don't understand how all of the sportscasters are saying the Colts will have 50 million wrapped up in one position next year.

The 50 million comment is based on Manning's option being picked up and is actual cash spent, not a salary cap #.

Here is the Math

Manning Option 28 million

Manning Base Salary 7.4

Luck Signing Bonus Call it 15million as a conservative figure

Luck Base Salary call it 400k

Manning actual cash 35.4 million

Luck actual cash 15.4 million

Total not counting a QB 3 50.8 million

Approximately 21 million cap hit

I'm not buying this, but if it were to happen, then it will come with some concessions. I.e.(a no trade clause where Manning would have to agree to a move), (an agreement about what direction the franchise is headed),

If Manning wants out, he's better off not moving the due date and forcing the Colts to make a decision. Moving the date would give away a lot of leverage that he does have.

I think he should get a no trade clause then. It just really seems that Peyton wants to retire a Colt. I dont think he wants to go to another team and try to start all over. He is someone that is very aware of the stigma that sticks to QBs, or any player that is great, that tries to win with another team late in their career. It just doesnt happen very often and they usually end up a joke on some late night talk show.

I found it interesting that Dungy just mentioned Irsay making decisions as much with his heart as his head and thinking Caldwell will be here next season, I personally think the Caldwell decision will depend on the GM he wants to hire. I wouldnt mind RGIII however I still think luck is our best chance at continuing the great legacy the Colts have built over the last decade, and I really believe that if we are to win another superbowl in the next 3 years Manning is the guy for us to do that with.

This move has much more to do with Manning's recovery than it does the trade date. If Manning is traded his roster/signing bonus become immediately due in full and will count against the Colts 2012 cap. What I think this really does is give the medical staff a chance to evaluate Manning much closer to the draft so the team can make the most "up to date" decision based on Manning's condition. Remember that he has still not passed a physical to PLAY football in the NFL. They want to see this before making any final decisions in the draft.

Great points!

Agree or disagree, I hope our GM, goes over every throw that Luck, RGIII, JBIV, BSV, and every QB ranked to go in the top 3 rounds and looks at free agent options as well.

I sure hope they do their due diligence as opposed to just setting their sights on one man.

For the record JBIV and BSV are made up names, so I'm not attempting to stump anyone.

ROFL

But seriously, good points. I hope they are doing every bit of research possible: both with the future/back up QB, as well as with Mr. Manning.