Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is our o line truly bad.....

csmopar

I'll admit, i thought our Oline ranked in the bottom of the league but was listening to 1070, they were listing out the ranking by area of our Oline stats....

Pass Block *. : 12th in the league

Run Blocking: 16th in the league

Running yards per carry : 16th in league

Running yards per game: 21st in league

Time to throw: 4th most allowed time to throw in the league

Holding Calls: most in the league(BAD)

Luck 3rd slowest release time in the league.

Just thought these were interesting stats.  Perhaps the problem isn't the personel after all.. maybe its the scheme and the QB

The Oline isn't great, but Luck is the one holding the ball for upwards of 4 seconds per snap. They've definitely gotten better than they were in the first two games, but they still "hold" a lot, which still screws up our offense even more than it already is. I'd say the line is adequate or slightly above that. 

I'll admit, i thought our Oline ranked in the bottom of the league but was listening to 1070, they were listing out the ranking by area of our Oline stats....

Just thought these were interesting stats.  Perhaps the problem isn't the personel after all.. maybe its the scheme and the QB

That is correct, the OL has had it's issues,  but it's pretty far down the list in terms of reasons why the Colts are lacking as an offensive unit. However, just as there were Manning sympathizers, there is the same for Luck. To some it's everyone else's fault. Luck just hasn't played well, and with the way he's been playing, he's not helped the OL out at all. It's been nothing but a bad chain reaction from Pep down to the OL. In no way am I saying we have this "great OL", but they are much better than they have been given credit for. They are still improving and can get better, and hopefully come the end of the season, much like last year in the playoffs, they can start peaking.

As much as I have criticized Luck for his play, since the beginning of the season, if the "switch" flips for him, and Chud can help him adjust throughout the game, this offense will be hard to stop. I really HOPE Chud can help Luck and this offense out, to which I believe he will.

Their holding penalties are overly exaggerated as well. AT LEAST 1/3 of them were very questionable.

Also, in terms of the "Rush" rankings, those need to be taken with a grain of salt. I think the Colts are much better than that, but there is such a small sample size due to the under-utilization of the run game. We get more balanced and I FIRMLY believe those stats jump a good handful of spots.

Running yards per carry : 16th in league

Running yards per game: 21st in league

Just thought these were interesting stats. Perhaps the problem isn't the personel after all.. maybe its the scheme and the QB

Luck's fault for those stats

The Tillman int on the 2nd drive, could've ran. Instead he held the ball and threw a dumb pass

There were numerous plays he could've took off an ran instead of passing the ball. Or throw the ball away.

I've seen every game this year courtesy of NFL Sunday ticket and I don't remember a single time Andrew threw the ball out of bounds living to fight another day

And that probably includes the games where Louis and Herremans were playing.  I wonder what the stats would be for the line as it is currently staffed.

I personally think our O-Line has had its struggles, but it is the best line we have put in front of Luck since he has been here. It is definitely an average line nothing special, but better than many other units except for penalties. I am pretty sure that I read a tweet from Dan Dakich saying that on Luck's first INT of the CAR game that he had 6.1 seconds to throw the ball and still threw a pick. That sure doesn't sound like a blocking issue to me. Luck's decision making at the moment isn't what it used to be, and it is baffling many experts on what is wrong causing many experts to point fingers at the O-Line to keep Luck shinning. I think once Luck's decision making and play improves again you will start to hear much less about our O-Line.

Luck's fault for those stats

The Tillman int on the 2nd drive, could've ran. Instead he held the ball and threw a dumb pass

There were numerous plays he could've took off an ran instead of passing the ball. Or throw the ball away.

I've seen every game this year courtesy of NFL Sunday ticket and I don't remember a single time Andrew threw the ball out of bounds living to fight another day

he hasn't this year once

Huh, it would have thunk it?  Oh yeah... me  (and several others on this board like Superman, 21isSuperman

We have been saying since the switch was made that the line is playing well... not great, not elite but playing well since the switch was made.  Losing Holmes for the past 6 quarters hurts that.  But the oline is fine.  Reitz is playing well enough at RT where the Colts can allow Good to develop or draft a guy that won't have to be ready for a year or two.  Get a center to back up Holmes since he does have a history of injuries.  But the line is starting to look like a line the Colts can depend on for the next several years.

Holding has been a problem this year and I know it's happened on some running plays but I wonder how many of those holding calls would be eliminated if Luck got rid of the ball quicker?