Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In 50 words or less, what is wrong with Andrew Luck

CR91

This is impossible, but I'll try.  IMHO he's still hurt and his confidence is at an all time low, not just in himself but also in those around him.  It's obvious.  I also don't think he believes in this current regime that they know what they are doing.

I think he trusts the coaches.  He puts a lot of weight on his own shoulders to move the football, thus causing an unimaginable stress level for a kid on center-stage in the biggest sport in the country. No doubt he has a lingering pain he's still dealing with plus he's dealing with Pep learning how to be an OC in the NFL and terribly weak O-line. 

I think because of all of the hits Andrew has taken over the last 3 seasons then it continued against the Bills and Jets he is panicking in the pocket now more, sick of getting hit on every play, weary of it. I also think Andrew got injured in the Bills game but we will never know the truth on that one because he was getting up slow after being hit in that game in the 2nd Half. He has never been injured before so that probably has shook his confidence to go along with everything else. Is there ever going to be a game where our Defense holds someone below 20 points? Ok we have had 1 but it was the crappy Jags at home. Every other team we have played this season has scored at least 20 or more!

I'm terrible at detecting sarcasm over the internet, but please tell me you were joking, because if you included all of the text in my previous post, it would've been six words....

OOOPS!  I am on a roll of mistakes today...must be naptime.....when I put a smile it is supposed to be friendly, funny and sometimes a joke.  Like this one.  If I am really sarcastic and snide, there is the sarcasm emoticon.   :sarcasm:   Need more  :sip:

On the radio today here they had an NFL reporter, can't remember his name but they asked him about Luck and he had some interesting thoughts which I will summarize.'

1) He felt the Colts should have rested him verse the Pats given his shoulder is not 100 percent. Let him heal another week as Hasselbeck showed he could steer the ship well in his absence

2) Different agendas are making life difficult. Pagano needs to win now to save his job; Grigson wants to win now but also has his eye on the future to be competitive long term; Irsay is unpredictable but wants the SB badly and will lay this season at someone's feet.

3) Says Luck's agent has to be going ballistic as Luck is in basically a contract year and his future is at stake with the shoulder. Compared him to RG and his situation in Washington where the Skins kept playing RG.

On the radio today here they had an NFL reporter, can't remember his name but they asked him about Luck and he had some interesting thoughts which I will summarize.'

1) He felt the Colts should have rested him verse the Pats given his shoulder is not 100 percent. Let him heal another week as Hasselbeck showed he could steer the ship well in his absence

2) Different agendas are making life difficult. Pagano needs to win now to save his job; Grigson wants to win now but also has his eye on the future to be competitive long term; Irsay is unpredictable but wants the SB badly and will lay this season at someone's feet.

3) Says Luck's agent has to be going ballistic as Luck is in basically a contract year and his future is at stake with the shoulder. Compared him to RG and his situation in Washington where the Skins kept playing RG.

#3 is ridiculous, this nothing like the RG3 situation. I will just leave it at that.

He's injured, frustrated at constantly being knocked around because the putrid o line, and he's not a good liar.  He gets interviewed every Monday by a local news station.  When they ask him if he's injured or if there are problems between Grigson and Pagona, he simply say "No" but his face and mannerisms say otherwise.  

Reporter was Will Brinson. Just looked it up. He was on our local station here - Toucher and Rich.

Well he is wrong regarding #3. He has no clue if he thinks 3 is true. Luck's injury isn't career threatening like RG3's was/is.

An injury to the throwing shoulder is much more career threatening for Qb than a leg injury. But the point he was making was that the Skins kept playing RG while injured and he sees that as comparable to Luck.

An injury to the throwing shoulder is much more career threatening for Qb than a leg injury. But the point he was making was that the Skins kept playing RG while injured and he sees that as comparable to Luck.

I disagree regarding your injury comment unless he is out there playing with something broken or separated which if it was that bad he wouldn't be able to play. If Luck felt like he couldn't go I am sure he wouldn't play as he has already sat out for 3 weeks. Your legs are everything and once you blow your knee out you are usually never the same. RG3 would disagree with you I am sure of it. So would Carson Palmer.

I think he's still a little hurt, he's holding onto the ball way to long, the o-line has been awful and he's not spreading the ball around like he sually does.  It seems like he wants to hit Moncrief and T.Y. and thats it.  Allen. Doyle, Fleener and Johnson can all catch passes.  I think he needs to throw the ball away sometimes too instead of forcing passes that tend to get intercepted.  I hope he can get it turned around because he's alot better than what he has shown this year.

I disagree regarding your injury comment unless he is out there playing with something broken or separated which if it was that bad he wouldn't be able to play. If Luck felt like he couldn't go I am sure he wouldn't play as he sat out for 3 weeks. Your legs are everything and once you blow your knee out you are usually never the same. RG3 would disagree with you I am sure of it.

There are injuries you have that you play through. Luck is not 100 percent and it is his throwing shoulder. There is no worse injury for a QB than his throwing arm. Luck would gladly take a lower body injury over a throwing arm. Any QB would. That being said, RG had a more serious injury in terms of blowing his knee out twice but a shoulder is never something a QB wants to mess with. Brinson point was given the state of the season, why not sit him so he can heal fully. Hasselbeck has shown he can win some games.

There are injuries you have that you play through. Luck is not 100 percent and it is his throwing shoulder. There is no worse injury for a QB than his throwing arm. Luck would gladly take a lower body injury over a throwing arm. Any QB would. That being said, RG had a more serious injury in terms of blowing his knee out twice but a shoulder is never something a QB wants to mess with. Brinson point was given the state of the season, why not sit him so he can heal fully. Hasselbeck has shown he can win some games.

I get the point, I just don't think Andrew's injury is that bad or career threatening is my point because if it was he wouldn't be playing IMO, it's my opinion, and the Colts organization wouldn't risk playing him if they examined his shoulder and their was structure damage. I see no way that would happen. We aren't Washington haha. RG3 was still clearly injured to the point he shouldn't of been out there and it was obvious. A QB's legs is where he gets most of his power from like a pitcher + once you blow out a knee you lose your speed in most cases. I am not dumb enough to sit here and say a QB's throwing arm isn't important, it obviously is but I don't think he is injured to the point where it is career threatening. Like I said if he was, Irsay would sit him out for the season and he would have surgery, just my take.

I think he's still a little hurt, he's holding onto the ball way to long, the o-line has been awful and he's not spreading the ball around like he sually does.  It seems like he wants to hit Moncrief and T.Y. and thats it.  Allen. Doyle, Fleener and Johnson can all catch passes.  I think he needs to throw the ball away sometimes too instead of forcing passes that tend to get intercepted.  I hope he can get it turned around because he's alot better than what he has shown this year.

I think he is sick of getting hit within 2 seconds is a big part of the problem. On one play when we had a key 3rd and 1, he was hit within a second and had no pocket and got sacked. All teams have to do is blitz against us and we are screwed. Hass looked good but it was only because we played the Jags and Texans.

I think he is sick of getting hit within 2 seconds is a big part of the problem. On one play when we had a key 3rd and 1, he was hit within a second and had no pocket and got sacked. All teams have to do is blitz against us and we are screwed. Hass looked good but it was only because we played the Jags and Texans.

I don't disagree, I think the O-line is a problem.  Luck still holds onto the ball way to long and stares down his recievers.  I also think they should forget this rushing restriction crap they have on Gore.  I understand he's older but he averages 4.5 yards a carry or close to it.  We should run the ball more especially with Bradshaw back.  I think it would help alot.

I don't disagree, I think the O-line is a problem.  Luck still holds onto the ball way to long and stares down his recievers.  I also think they should forget this rushing restriction crap they have on Gore.  I understand he's older but he averages 4.5 yards a carry or close to it.  We should run the ball more especially with Bradshaw back.  I think it would help alot.

Yeah we need to start running Gore more now as the season will be half way over shortly, he has had decent success and we are paying him a lot of money so it's time. We cant fall to 3-5, well maybe we can because we are in a bad Division and aren't getting HFA anyway LOL. I expect Bradshaw to get more carries too against Carolina. I hope.

David Carr never done squat in the NFL, Andrew is a lot better and has played well in the past with a mediocre line. Carr as a starter was 4-12, 3-8, 7-9, 2-14 in his first 4 seasons. Andrew 11-5, 11-5, 11-5, 1-4. Andrew much better athlete that can run and scramble better too.

You missed the point that poster was trying to make.  David Carr was a highly ranked prospect coming out of college with huge expectations because he was incredibly talented.  However, he was drafted to the Texans who never really put forth the effort to give him even an average offensive line so he was hit way, way too much.  The hits wound up getting in his head and he was never the same QB after those first few years, and that's why many believe he never lived up to expectations.  

So in that regard, yes this season, Luck's regression could very well be partly due to what many people refer to as "David Carr Syndrome" where a good to great QB gets hit so much that he loses confidence in himself and/or those around him.  In Carr's case, he was never able to recover.  I don't think that will be the case with Luck though.

You missed the point that poster was trying to make.  David Carr was a highly ranked prospect coming out of college with huge expectations because he was incredibly talented.  However, he was drafted to the Texans who never really put forth the effort to give him even an average offensive line so he was hit way, way too much.  The hits wound up getting in his head and he was never the same QB after those first few years, and that's why many believe he never lived up to expectations.  

So in that regard, yes this season, Luck's regression could very well be partly due to what many people refer to as "David Carr Syndrome" where a good to great QB gets hit so much that he loses confidence in himself and/or those around him.  In Carr's case, he was never able to recover.  I don't think that will be the case with Luck though.

I understand the point why people say David Carr because he was hit a ton like Andrew has been but I just think Andrew is in a slump and our organization will get it right eventually like they did with Peyton after his 4th season. I think we will get better Coaching here and start building a better Line. Irsay may have had his problems in the past with drinking and drugs but he is a GREAT owner Football wise and is smart. We aren't Houston or Washington.

His shoulder not being 100% could easily explain his lack of long ball accuracy.  At this point, if he isn't 100% he shouldn't be playing.  Also #2 is a very good point.  

I will add that Grigson failing to build up the o-line in the offseason, and poor play calling/coaching from both the OC and OLC.  

I understand the point why people say David Carr because he was hit a ton like Andrew has been but I just think Andrew is in a slump and our organization will get it right eventually like they did with Peyton after his 4th season. I think we will get better Coaching here and start building a better Line. Irsay may have had his problems in the past with drinking and drugs but he is a GREAT owner Football wise and is smart. We aren't Houston or Washington.

I agree, Irsay is a good owner and hates losing.  He will get it right, but I think this season is lost.  Just need better people around Luck to support him, especially coaches and an actual o-line that protects him. 

I agree, Irsay is a good owner and hates losing.  He will get it right, but I think this season is lost.  Just need better people around Luck to support him, especially coaches and an actual o-line that protects him. 

Yeah this season isn't what anyone expected. I still think we make the Playoffs because of our crappy Division though, at 7-9, 8-8? but Irsay hates losing and knows he has a once in a lifetime generation QB. He isn't going to screw this up.