Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots fan back for a recap

BlazeDaring

Morning all, I'm back.  I posted last week but my post got merged with another post (not sure why this happens here, doesn't happen on any other board).  Anyway, still not here to troll.  That was an exciting game.  Indy came much harder than I thought they would.  Couple observations.

1.  Refs were terrible on both sides but Indy definitely got the worse of it.  We all know that ball changes hands 3 or 4 times in those pile ups and so at one point NE might have had  possession and it was wrestled away but since you can't prove that I don't like that they won't overturn the call.  HUGE break for NE there.

2.  Indy was much more aggressive than I expected.  The onside kick after the pick 6 was brilliant.

3.  I don't know what to say about the fake punt.  Even Pagano's explanation of the reason for doing it doesn't make sense.  NE is too well coached for that stuff.  I listened to Roosevelt Colvin this morning (who now lives in Indy) and he even said they practiced that situation every week.  Different special teams formations and how to handle them.  Not sure what the thinking there was, not to mention the execution.

4.  Speaking of Indy coaching, what happened to that balanced offense in the first half. Crossing routes, check downs, back out of the backfield, mix in a run or two and Indy was moving.  In the second half it was all 20 yard outs and deep crosses.  Should have stuck to the short stuff and nickel and dime their way down field, keep Brady off the field.

5.  Edelman's finger looked like those mini hot dogs

6.  Brady was off.  Not accurate at all.  Easily his worse game which I will give Indy credit for.  Just enough pressure to keep him moving in the pocket.  The lack of healthy offensive linemen didn't help but its football.  Injuries are part of the game.

Overall a good game.  Thank you for letting me rant on your board.  Please don't merge this post with others since its the only one coming from a Pats fan its kinda different.  Everyone have a good week. 

Morning all, I'm back.  I posted last week but my post got merged with another post (not sure why this happens here, doesn't happen on any other board).  Anyway, still not here to troll.  That was an exciting game.  Indy came much harder than I thought they would.  Couple observations.

1.  Refs were terrible on both sides but Indy definitely got the worse of it.  We all know that ball changes hands 3 or 4 times in those pile ups and so at one point NE might have had  possession and it was wrestled away but since you can't prove that I don't like that they won't overturn the call.  HUGE break for NE there.

2.  Indy was much more aggressive than I expected.  The onside kick after the pick 6 was brilliant.

3.  I don't know what to say about the fake punt.  Even Pagano's explanation of the reason for doing it doesn't make sense.  NE is too well coached for that stuff.  I listened to Roosevelt Colvin this morning (who now lives in Indy) and he even said they practiced that situation every week.  Different special teams formations and how to handle them.  Not sure what the thinking there was, not to mention the execution.

4.  Speaking of Indy coaching, what happened to that balanced offense in the first half. Crossing routes, check downs, back out of the backfield, mix in a run or two and Indy was moving.  In the second half it was all 20 yard outs and deep crosses.  Should have stuck to the short stuff and nickel and dime their way down field, keep Brady off the field.

6.  Brady was off.  Not accurate at all.  Easily his worse game which I will give Indy credit for.  Just enough pressure to keep him moving in the pocket.  The lack of healthy offensive linemen didn't help but its football.  Injuries are part of the game.

Overall a good game.  Thank you for letting me rant on your board.  Please don't merge this post with others since its the only one coming from a Pats fan its kinda different.  Everyone have a good week. 

2 thumbs up for not being the typical arogant pats fans we normally have here.  Very refreshing and you, my friend, are 100% right in this post.

LOL, I know what to say about the fake punt, but I would get in trouble for posting. :)

Good post.

Brady was off?? He threw four TDs and one INT that was tipped off a broken finger

I've watched every game of his career and he was off last night.  He completed passes but usually they're right in stride giving the receiver time to turn up and gain more yards.  The throws were behind a lot of receivers so you saw Indy able to limit the yards after catch.  Perfect example was Dion Lewis on the 3rd and 2 play in the flats.  Normally that is to his outside and he turns up for the first down.  Throw was behind and the Indy defender made the play.  I think it was the Indy rush that was able to make him throw a little earlier than he wanted to.

If anything I'm more * that abandoned the play calling from the first half. That's what got us the lead. That's what was working. We had the onside kick and that jv punt play was pathetic

I liked the onside kick.  Almost worked.  But you're right.  The play calling changed in the second half and that is where NE got pressure on Luck.  When he was getting rid of the ball quick they never touched him.

but do we need all the threads?

Maybe not but I'm only here for today. After today I move to the Jets board (they don't like me much there) so I'd like to keep this one open.  But I understand if you have rules and want to merge it.  I just hate those posts that get 200 replies.  Your posts get lost and if you just logged in you can't keep track from the beginning.

Maybe not but I'm only here for today. After today I move to the Jets board (they don't like me much there) so I'd like to keep this one open.  But I understand if you have rules and want to merge it.  I just hate those posts that get 200 replies.  Your posts get lost and if you just logged in you can't keep track from the beginning.

I have to avoid the Jets board. I don't think there is any moderation in what you can post and most people's pics are of chicks in bathing suits or thongs and I'd be at work looking....had to step away

I have to avoid the Jets board. I don't think there is any moderation in what you can post and most people's pics are of chicks in bathing suits or thongs and I'd be at work looking....had to step away

Yeah its kind of a marshall law there.  Not many rules.  Dallas is the same way, they post whatever they wanted.  Then started talking about Brady's wife like Greg Hardy did and I said it was classless they banned me for trolling.  I wore that like a badge of honor.

Yeah its kind of a marshall law there.  Not many rules.  Dallas is the same way, they post whatever they wanted.  Then started talking about Brady's wife like Greg Hardy did and I said it was classless they banned me for trolling.  I wore that like a badge of honor.

Read the gameday thread on this board. 

Honestly, your veiw of the game seemed fairly accurate. I'll add a few:

Luck was off today as well.  Overthrew many open guys down the feild, and in middling yardage.

A lot of pats fans complain it was a bogus PI call in the endzone to the TE, but he had his hands in the face mask of the defender while the ball was in the air, PI every day,..all day. one of the few correct calls by the officiating.  Holding was called a LOT when worse is let go.

Indy went away from the run when it was being a bread and butter play for them in the first half, but then....Blunt did not get the carries he should have had either being he was tearing it up as well.  I'll attribute that to Brady wanting to be more aggressive as well.

Edelmans injury probably attributed to the pick 6, and also probably why Brady started looking to others in the passing game.

there were NO screens thrown by Indy that I remember, and with T.Y. and Dorsett's speed, that should have been used a few times when they were 3rd and short.

This game was closer than many want to admit.  A botched play here (ovbvious 4th and 3 mention) or a fair call there..(not multiple things, just one of many choices) and the outcome of the game could have went the other way.

Both team were respectful to each other with media before and after the game, which was a pleasant surprise considering the events leading to it. ( sadly. the same cannot be said of many fans of both sides...)

Game was a nail biter!!! My thoughts as a pats fan are this:

-colts were running very well all game but got away from it.(no idea why)

- All the injuries the Pats got were just insane.

- the Colts D plan was innovative by plugging up the middle, but IMO when the Pats put in the PS Olineman it was time to start putting pressure on his side.

- I had the feeling the Colts were playing like a team nothing to lose last night. I don't know why but just felt like they and the coaches were trying anything.

- I was impressed with the Pats bubble gum and chicken wire CB held there own and Butler is showing flashes of a potential top corner.

- still confused how the Pats got the onside kick call, and wth the colts were thinking on that 4th down fake punt.

- Luck seemed to lose something late in the game, could that been fatigue for being out for 2 weeks? Or the shoulder flailing up?

My thoughts on this game. Colts would have won with better coaching. Honestly, that's about my biggest take away. That fake punt? Let's let Luck throw it 30 times in the second half.. Just brutally bad. 

The refs wanted a lot of face time too. The O-line and holding is getting ridiculous.

My thoughts on this game. Colts would have won with better coaching. Honestly, that's about my biggest take away. That fake punt? Let's let Luck throw it 30 times in the second half.. Just brutally bad. 

The refs wanted a lot of face time too. The O-line and holding is getting ridiculous.

the holding was VERY one sided when called.

Luck was off today as well.  Overthrew many open guys down the feild, and in middling yardage.

A lot of pats fans complain it was a bogus PI call in the endzone to the TE, but he had his hands in the face mask of the defender while the ball was in the air, PI every day,..all day. one of the few correct calls by the officiating.  Holding was called a LOT when worse is let go.

Indy went away from the run when it was being a bread and butter play for them in the first half, but then....Blunt did not get the carries he should have had either being he was tearing it up as well.  I'll attribute that to Brady wanting to be more aggressive as well.

Edelmans injury probably attributed to the pick 6, and also probably why Brady started looking to others in the passing game.

there were NO screens thrown by Indy that I remember, and with T.Y. and Dorsett's speed, that should have been used a few times when they were 3rd and short.

This game was closer than many want to admit.  A botched play here (ovbvious 4th and 3 mention) or a fair call there..(not multiple things, just one of many choices) and the outcome of the game could have went the other way.

Both team were respectful to each other with media before and after the game, which was a pleasant surprise considering the events leading to it. ( sadly. the same cannot be said of many fans of both sides...)

You're right about Luck.  Don't know if that was the injury changing his mechanics or just being rusty but he missed some open receivers.  Missed that in my opening posts. 

The media is who was leading the charge about this being some sort of grudge game and made a lot more out of it than the players did. The players knew that when the game started it was football as usual. It is not over, There will be some media person somewhere who will take something and turn it into something to sell their pile of crap face, air or print time.

The media is who was leading the charge about this being some sort of grudge game and made a lot more out of it than the players did. The players knew that when the game started it was football as usual. It is not over, There will be some media person somewhere who will take something and turn it into something to sell their pile of crap face, air or print time.

you're right.  and as a Pats fan I've seen so many interviews where they try to get NE to feed into these things and they never do.  I get they are doing their job but at some point you'd think the media would just realize it and not bother.  so many other football related questions you can get them to talk about.  even if this was a "revenge" game for them (and I think it was to some) they are never going to come out and say it. 

Oh one thing I wanted to add, Collins block of the extra point... I was like wait he wasn't offside? How the heck did he get back there so quickly! That was just a wow athletic play I thought.

Pretty good play I thought to block the extra point. Kam Chancellor did it 2 times in a row last year I believe. Pretty insane.

Brady was off?? He threw four TDs and one INT that was tipped off a broken finger

I thought Brady was off as well. It was one of his worst looking performances dating back to week 4 of last season. I know the 4 TD/1 quirky INT don't show that, but he missed a lot of passes/reads that he normally nails. There were at least 4-5 I can think of that were very atypical of him. 

NE is too well coached for that stuff.  I listened to Roosevelt Colvin this morning (who now lives in Indy) and he even said they practiced that situation every week.  Different special teams formations and how to handle them.  Not sure what the thinking there was, not to mention the execution.

This. Until the end of freaking time. 

There will never be a good spin to put on whatever that was. That play was dead upon design. 

Good post

Good post.  The big point you hit on was the play calling.  Its turning into the story of the season.   I don't know if its the OC or Luck but they can't seem to remain balanced offensively.  Luck hasn't played in 3-weeks so being balanced and running the football has to be the plan to win.  3-and-outs are a sure fire way to get beat by Brady.  Not to mention sustaining drives is the only way to control Brady.  Face it i never felt like the Colts defense was doing anything more than bend but don't break.  Not going to cut it.

This. Until the end of freaking time. 

There will never be a good spin to put on whatever that was. That play was dead upon design. 

Amazing avatar. I just saw one with Harry and Lloyd on it, as well as denzel washington and crying michael jordan. Again, the fact that this is in our playbook should scare all Colts fans. Completely proves the coaching staff is not mentally equipped to compete outside the AFC South.

It would have been fine if that onside kick was like you described. If NE actually has possession and the refs said the whistle blew , I have no problem with it. The problem is the replay showed that Pat on the bottom never had possession and the ball squirted out to his left. It then showed Montcrief starting to gather it in but never showed him gaining complete control or possession either. I's pretty obvious that if Montcrief came out with the ball , he must have recovered the fumble. I mean Jesus use a little common sense as the replay clearly shows the player that the ref mistakenly thought recovered the ball DIDN'T come close to doing so. It then shows the guy that came out with the ball gathering it in. Duh...... 

Yeah, I disagree.  From the TV angles shown, it was a Patriots player who clearly landed on and secured the ball. At that point, the play is over, and just because a Colts player wrests it from the hands of the Patriots player does not make it Colts ball. 

It would have been fine if that onside kick was like you described. If NE actually has possession and the refs said the whistle blew , I have no problem with it. The problem is the replay showed that Pat on the bottom never had possession and the ball squirted out to his left. It then showed Montcrief starting to gather it in but never showed him gaining complete control or possession either. I's pretty obvious that if Montcrief came out with the ball , he must have recovered the fumble. I mean Jesus use a little common sense as the replay clearly shows the player that the ref mistakenly thought recovered the ball DIDN'T come close to doing so. It then shows the guy that came out with the ball gathering it in. Duh...... 

Well I don't know if it was obvious he recovered the fumble.  Its obvious he was the last one with it.  But technically if the Patriots player had it and it was wrestled away in the pile then it should be NE ball because he had possession and was touched down.  The problem I have is the original call of NE had it made it so it was impossible to overturn because you cant get enough evidence to show he didn't.  I think these refs are too quick with the whistle and their original calls have to be "overturned" which requires definitive evidence.  Why not just make the call on the field and let the end result of the replay decide the play.  It would have been Colts ball.  They lock themselves into a call and then need a lawyer and judge to overturn.  Flaw in the system and the Colts definitely got hosed.

Well I don't know if it was obvious he recovered the fumble.  Its obvious he was the last one with it.  But technically if the Patriots player had it and it was wrestled away in the pile then it should be NE ball because he had possession and was touched down.  The problem I have is the original call of NE had it made it so it was impossible to overturn because you cant get enough evidence to show he didn't.  I think these refs are too quick with the whistle and their original calls have to be "overturned" which requires definitive evidence.  Why not just make the call on the field and let the end result of the replay decide the play.  It would have been Colts ball.  They lock themselves into a call and then need a lawyer and judge to overturn.  Flaw in the system and the Colts definitely got hosed.

As I stated , if NE had possession and was wrestled away , I have no problem with the call. That did not happen. NE never had that ball. Here's what I would bet at least 10K on. The ref that awarded the ball to NE thought the player on the bottom that first touched the ball had recovered it. The replay showed 100% that he did not recover it . So if you see the player you thought recover the ball didn't... and then see the player that came out with the ball start to gather it in , you should reverse the call. Pretty obvious that the ball wasn't recovered by that O lineman. So why couldn't the official reviewing it ask the ref that awarded the ball to NE if that indeed is what he "thought" he saw. Pretty easy correction to right a brutal crappy call. 

I've watched every game of his career and he was off last night.  He completed passes but usually they're right in stride giving the receiver time to turn up and gain more yards.  The throws were behind a lot of receivers so you saw Indy able to limit the yards after catch.  Perfect example was Dion Lewis on the 3rd and 2 play in the flats.  Normally that is to his outside and he turns up for the first down.  Throw was behind and the Indy defender made the play.  I think it was the Indy rush that was able to make him throw a little earlier than he wanted to.

Exactly.  Brady was off.

A lot of people on this board don't understand the value of hitting a receiver in stride, on the numbers, so he doesn't have to lose half a step.  THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT thing for an NFL QB to do. Luck is pretty bad actually, and it has nothing to do with his shoulder.  He always has been, especially with short crossing routes.  The receiver usually has to make a funky catch that either slows him down if not making him leave his feet.  Our current coaching staff has not helped Luck to develop in this area.  I want to say that Luck is almost as bad as Michael Vick in hitting receivers on the numbers...but I'd get blasted.

And, your assessment of our second half offense is correct.  We got away from what got us points and yardage in the first half.  It started with our first series of the second half where I think Luck and Pep panicked after NE scored on the opening drive.  The evidence being Luck bouncing a pass to a wide open TY along the sideline.  Problem was, it was about a 15 to 20 yard out to the wide side of the field.  A tough throw for anybody.  Poor play call there...reminiscent of trying to get big chunks of yards because your team is behind late in the game.  In that situation, a dink and dunk drive could at least yield a FG.

Ok Colts fans.  Its been fun but I need to move onto the Jets board (always feel dirty after going there).  You guys have been a lot of fun.  Gotta love a respectful board that talks football instead of trash.  I hope NE and Indy meets up in the playoffs because its always a good time.  Keep Luck off the ground and I have no doubt you'll be there.  Take care of the Saint's this weekend.  Watch out for Watson going up the seems, its basically all they have anymore.  Be good.  Go Pats (had to throw that in there)

Ok Colts fans.  Its been fun but I need to move onto the Jets board (always feel dirty after going there).  You guys have been a lot of fun.  Gotta love a respectful board that talks football instead of trash.  I hope NE and Indy meets up in the playoffs because its always a good time.  Keep Luck off the ground and I have no doubt you'll be there.  Take care of the Saint's this weekend.  Watch out for Watson going up the seems, its basically all they have anymore.  Be good.  Go Pats (had to throw that in there)

You were okay for a Patriots fan. :P