Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Other Teams Interviewing, Irsay Needs To Get With It

Pancake Block

NFL Network is reporting that Reggie McKenzie from the Packers is interviewing with the Raiders today for the GM position. The Packers OC (Philbin) is also interviewing with the KC Chiefs HC position. It's already been reported about Jeff Fisher interviewing with the Dolphins and Rams. Irsay created a vacuum in the Colts organization and he needs to step up quickly before all the top guys have already been snatched up by the competition. On a side note, I look for Polian to be a Chicago Bear soon.

My gut tells me,he'll name himself our next 'GM'.But i'm hoping for jerry angelo.I like his defensive drafting style.That's exactly what we need,because our offense is already in place,if manning returns.

Well I think your gut will be wrong on him naming himself to GM position. He wants someone that can be the GM and the owner wouldn't be that person. JMO of course.

My gut tells me,he'll name himself our next 'GM'.But i'm hoping for jerry angelo.I like his defensive drafting style.That's exactly what we need,because our offense is already in place,if manning returns.

You don't have a long history of following the Colts, do you?

:spit:

That's like hoping for kidney surgery.

He's been the GM before.

And recognized the fact that he was not very good at it.

Do you really think he will call a press conference in a few weeks to announce that "after a long, exhaustive search to replace the future Hall of Famer Bill Polian as GM, I have concluded the best candidate is me."

And recognized the fact that he was not very good at it.

Do you really think he will call a press conference in a few weeks to announce that "after a long, exhaustive search to replace the future Hall of Famer Bill Polian as GM, I have concluded the best candidate is me."

Sure, of he wants the fan base to start panicking.

NFL Network is reporting that Reggie McKenzie from the Packers is interviewing with the Raiders today for the GM position. The Packers OC (Philbin) is also interviewing with the KC Chiefs HC position. It's already been reported about Jeff Fisher interviewing with the Dolphins and Rams. Irsay created a vacuum in the Colts organization and he needs to step up quickly before all the top guys have already been snatched up by the competition. On a side note, I look for Polian to be a Chicago Bear soon.

And he thinks the media is tough in Indy!He better tone it down up there, or he will be destroyed.

And he thinks the media is tough in Indy!He better tone it down up there, or he will be destroyed.

Thanks I was thinking the same thing and personally I can't see him and Lovie getting along too well and from what I have read that was part of the problem and the GM was let go. It was also in the article that I read that it was a package deal with him and his son. Maybe it's time that Bill let Chris find his own job. Ya Think :yes:

The colts dont need any big name ppl to become GM or Head Coach... Jim already said its not gonna be a big name or popular GM that everyone knows, as for Head Coach i really dont see a problem with seeing what caldwell can do with a COMPETITIVE team.

If I remember correctly Tobin was the GM in the 90's and I can't remember before that but I'm sure someone knows the answer. Maybe they will chime in.

Irsay was one of the worst GMs in the history of the sport, but his father was the owner at the time. I've assumed both that the father wanted the son to be GM for reasons that had nothing to do with the best interests of the team, and more importantly I've assumed that Irsay KNOWS how horrible he was, and wouldn't dream of going down that road again.

Thanks I was thinking the same thing and personally I can't see him and Lovie getting along too well and from what I have read that was part of the problem and the GM was let go. It was also in the article that I read that it was a package deal with him and his son. Maybe it's time that Bill let Chris find his own job. Ya Think :yes:

Nothing like following daddy around to get a job.

Ok so you can interview other teams OCs but you can't contact other team's players?

With permission from the other team. It's still considered tampering to do so without permission. I do wonder, however, if you could talk to other teams players with permission. Not that you'd ever get it.

Irsay was one of the worst GMs in the history of the sport, but his father was the owner at the time. I've assumed both that the father wanted the son to be GM for reasons that had nothing to do with the best interests of the team, and more importantly I've assumed that Irsay KNOWS how horrible he was, and wouldn't dream of going down that road again.

Irsay wasn't THE WORST GM ever He just tried to BUY FREE AGENTS to fill holes that usually underperformed once the got here. His drafts were OK! at best.

I really liked how year after year he completely neglected the WR position in Chicago especially when he got Cutler and still acted like Hester was a real WR in this league. His offense was seriously Cutler and Forte and that is it. That team was even more one sided then ours was.

Did the Packers give permission for these teams to interview these guys because my understanding was coaches/front office personnel was off limits until the playoffs were over.

Well I think your gut will be wrong on him naming himself to GM position. He wants someone that can be the GM and the owner wouldn't be that person. JMO of course.

I have a feeling that the GM role may be split with one part being specifically focused on team personnel and the other on the business aspects of the franchise. The business side might end up residing within the family, but the football side would stay with a football person from outside.

The colts dont need any big name ppl to become GM or Head Coach... Jim already said its not gonna be a big name or popular GM that everyone knows, as for Head Coach i really dont see a problem with seeing what caldwell can do with a COMPETITIVE team.

He absolutely DID NOT say that! In fact he said just the opposite. He said he wouldn't rule out a big name HC or GM.

I swear(and im not just talking about you), but people do not listen and then they come here and make statements as if they are facts. If Irsay knew how many times he was misquoted on these boards he could spend the rest of his life in courts dealing with defamation lawsuits.

And recognized the fact that he was not very good at it. Do you really think he will call a press conference in a few weeks to announce that "after a long, exhaustive search to replace the future Hall of Famer Bill Polian as GM, I have concluded the best candidate is me."

No - I expect him to tweet it.

Irsay wasn't THE WORST GM ever He just tried to BUY FREE AGENTS to fill holes that usually underperformed once the got here. His drafts were OK! at best.

Actually I don't remember him buying free agents at all, and his record with high draft picks was utterly abysmal. But the real problem was the trades. In his desire to win NOW, he threw away first and second round draft picks like they were meaningless, rather than the entire foundation of a successful franchise. Specifically, the Eric Dickerson, Fredd Young, and Jeff George trades. Just an absolute nightmare. He was worse than a senile Al Davis - just destructive to his own team.

Some people probably liked the Dickerson trade because it conveyed some measure of respectability, but I hated it myself. The Young trade was probably the worst. 1989 and 1990 first round draft picks for a LINEBACKER who was gone after 1990. Are you kidding me?

Of course if they had just kept Cornelius Bennett, they wouldn't have had a need for Young (and they would have had three more draft picks.). Ironically Polian was on the other end of the deal, and while he gave up even more than the Colts did, he got a rookie who became the foundation of his defense for 9 years (and four SB trips) rather than a RB with way too many carries under his belt already.

Way too short sighted, no patience, didn't do his due dilligence, questionable evaluator of talent. Just a lousy GM.

I have a feeling that the GM role may be split with one part being specifically focused on team personnel and the other on the business aspects of the franchise. The business side might end up residing within the family, but the football side would stay with a football person from outside.

You may well be right, because Polian was a lot more than the GM. My hope is that we bring in an up-and-comer from another team - but that's all about talent evaluation. The odds of the new guy having sufficient backround to run all football operations isn't terrific, nor is it necessary. Thats an administrative function, and he has three daughters sitting there with titles and probable little in the way of actual responsibilities. There are only so many hours in the day, and we need someone who can put together a football team far more than we need someone who can run a business.

I really liked how year after year he completely neglected the WR position in Chicago especially when he got Cutler and still acted like Hester was a real WR in this league. His offense was seriously Cutler and Forte and that is it. That team was even more one sided then ours was.

Did the Packers give permission for these teams to interview these guys because my understanding was coaches/front office personnel was off limits until the playoffs were over.

You can request permission from I think it's Goodell or the team just as long as they approve.

NFL Network is reporting that Reggie McKenzie from the Packers is interviewing with the Raiders today for the GM position. The Packers OC (Philbin) is also interviewing with the KC Chiefs HC position. It's already been reported about Jeff Fisher interviewing with the Dolphins and Rams. Irsay created a vacuum in the Colts organization and he needs to step up quickly before all the top guys have already been snatched up by the competition.

How do you know that Irsay isn't on the phone interviewing people?

y

Yes, and he will be competing for attention, too. How many current and ex-Bears players and coaches have their own radio and tv shows. Also, as you stated, the Chi Town media won't stand for his insular, me against the world view of management.