Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

List of possible 2016 HC Candidates.

Dustin

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All but a foregone conclusion that this is Pagano's last year in Indy.

Here are some HC Candidates I've put into tiers ranking from most-likely to least-likely. Bolded names make my wish-list. 

Most Likely Candidates: 

Pat Shurmur, OC, Philadelphia

Pep Hamilton, OC, Indianapolis

Adam Gase, OC, Chicago

Greg Roman, OC, Buffalo

Teryl Austin, DC, Detroit

Moderate Chance: 

Mike Smith, FA

Kyle Shanahan, OC, Atlanta

Doug Marrone, OL, Jacksonville

Hue Jackson, OC, Cincinnati

Not Very Likely: 

David Shaw, HC, Stanford

Josh McDaniels, OC, New England

Bill Lazor, OC, Miami

Jon Gruden, FA

LOL No (aka no chance):

Nick Saban, HC, Alabama

Urban Meyer, HC, Ohio State

Why do you believe Meyer and Saban to be LOL. Grigson?

Nonsense to all those.

Let us just get this fixed once and for all and hire

Bill Belichick

A man can dream the impossible dream. I don't like BB, but can live with him to get a SB or two. :peek:

PS: Yes, I know is it a LOL No (aka no chance)

You would trade winning a SB for having the cloud of being a cheater hung on our team! No Thank you but I find that totally unacceptable!!

They have great gigs where they are at coaching college powerhouses. I am sure they are in no hurry to leave Ohio State and Alabama especially to be told what to do by Grigson.

Guys have had great gigs before and left...that's nothing new. Plus, a place like Alabama wears on a guy. Hell, Saban left LSU for a bad NFL job.

Here are some HC Candidates I've put into tiers ranking from most-likely to least-likely. Bolded names make my wish-list. 

Most Likely Candidates: 

Adam Gase, OC, Chicago

Greg Roman, OC, Buffalo

Moderate Chance: 

Mike Smith, FA

Not Very Likely: 

David Shaw, HC, Stanford

Bill Lazor, OC, Miami

Jon Gruden, FA

LOL No (aka no chance):

Nick Saban, HC, Alabama

First, I don't see how this is a 'foregone conclusion' only 1 week into the season.  I think Andrew Luck will have some say about the future and structure of this organization when he begins to seriously renegotiate his contracts and it doesn't sound like a good thing if the reason for the tension is because Grigson wants too much control.

Gruden!!!

Gruden was never a good coach.  He took what Tony Dungy built and won a super bowl then ran the organization into the ground.  It would be a terrible idea to hire Gruden.

Grigson is the kink in the chain to keep us from getting any good coaching candidate.

Irsay is also a kink in the chain.  He seems to be off his rocker, not just with his arrest and all, but with his weird tweets and unpredictable behavior.  Also, look at what Pagano has done -- took (or at least seriously helped) take the worst team in football -- 2-14 (and yea, we were in the AFC South that year) -- to 3 straight 11 win seasons.  Say we win 10+ games again and Pagano gets fired after his 4th year of 10+ wins in a TOTAL rebuild situation-- what kind of coach wants to come into an environment like that? (Andrew Luck would be the only reason someone else would want to step into this position).

First, I don't see how this is a 'foregone conclusion' only 1 week into the season.  I think Andrew Luck will have some say about the future and structure of this organization when he begins to seriously renegotiate his contracts and it doesn't sound like a good thing if the reason for the tension is because Grigson wants too much control.

Gruden was never a good coach.  He took what Tony Dungy built and won a super bowl then ran the organization into the ground.  It would be a terrible idea to hire Gruden.

Irsay is also a kink in the chain.  He seems to be off his rocker, not just with his arrest and all, but with his weird tweets and unpredictable behavior.  Also, look at what Pagano has done -- took (or at least seriously helped) take the worst team in football -- 2-14 (and yea, we were in the AFC South that year) -- to 3 straight 11 win seasons.  Say we win 10+ games again and Pagano gets fired after his 4th year of 10+ wins in a TOTAL rebuild situation-- what kind of coach wants to come into an environment like that? (Andrew Luck would be the only reason someone else would want to step into this position).

Another very good point. Yes Irsay is another kink because your job stability as a HC here isn't very good. If Irsay don't think you are the guy to get him multiple championships then you are gone, and I think that Pagano is going to be the first to see this.

"List of possible 2016 HC Candidates"

I would rather start with a list of 2015 OC candidates and make that change immediately...even if we need to start by letting Chud call the plays.  Ditch Pep...he's a college OC learning on the job at the Colts expense.

Speaking of changing OCs, what would people think of the Colts using a zone scheme? It just crossed my mind watching the Falcons game now that Kyle Shanahan is their OC.

He's the kind of guy that will control his own destiny when teams come calling. And after working in New England all these years and seeing what works and what doesn't, he's not going to sign up to coach a team he has no control over. So like, maybe you should chill out.

Chill out? For what?

If the rumors are true and Grigson is the root of a lot of these problems we just need to clean house and start over ... a coach that will be Grigson's "Yes Man" is definitely not the answer.

Um, I thought the rumors got started because of reported friction between pagano and grigson. When is there "friction" in a relationship where one of them is just a "yes man"? It kind of sounds like pagano is the opposite of that and (assuming there's anything to the rumors ) it's the fact that he's NOT a "yes man" that is causing the problems.

Gruden is incredibly overrated. He's like a 6/10.

So what is Pagano out of 10?

Gruden got Rich Gannon an MVP. And its funny how nobody ever brings up how someone else took Gruden's team to a super bowl

Gruden is incredibly overrated. He's like a 6/10.

I take a Gruden 6 any day

Not even remotely the point.

You're telling me he's overrated and 6/10. To get a feel for your scale, I want to know what u consider Pags.

I think John Gruden would have multiple sbs if he was in Tampa during the Dungy yrs. I think Gruden would've got Peyton multiple championships. I think Gruden is a better coach than Dungy.

You're telling me he's overrated and 6/10. To get a feel for your scale, I want to know what u consider Pags.

I think John Gruden would have multiple sbs if he was in Tampa during the Dungy yrs. I think Gruden would've got Peyton multiple championships. I think Gruden is a better coach than Dungy.

Pagano has coached 42 games. Gruden has an 11 year track record. I judge them differently because of that. It's probably not even worth it to compare, but so far Pagano is about a 6/10 also. After 42 games, Gruden was probably a 7-8. After his first year in Tampa, he was mediocre, at best.

Dungy is also overrated, and had critical flaws that probably cost the Colts some success.

U notice this too. LOL

Gruden's problem in Tampa was Brad Johnson got old amd he could never find a qb. Lets see what Pagano's record would be if he didnt luck into a top 10qb.

Not just Pagano...see how ANY coach does without a good QB.

I certainly don't think Gruden would be a downgrade.

God, why do colts fans claim Gruden isn't/wasn't a good coach? Just because he made St Tony look bad.....

I don't care about how Dungy looked. That's ridiculous.

How about Gruden was six games over .500 in 11 years? And after the SB, was 5 games under .500? He's supposed to be an offensive minded coach who is great with QBs, but his teams came to be known for terrible QBing. The Bucs completely fell apart under his watch, over the course of 7 seasons.

Overrated.

I wouldnt even debate that w/ anyone. Someone trying to debate that is a troubled individual.

As fir the topic, I forgot the Mangenius. He has this 9ers d looking good

In 11 seasons, Gruden's teams were six games over .500.

Only coach more overrated then Gruden around here is Jeff Fisher.

In 11 seasons, Gruden's teams were six games over .500.

Only coach more overrated then Gruden around here is Jeff Fisher.

Fisher has at least built a defense wherever he's been. I think he's overrated, but he's better than Pagano too.

Grunden's record suffered at the end. His team got old and he could never rebuild. Old Jeff Garcia, Shaun King, Chris Simms, and Brian Griese will get u that record.

This whole talk of Grigson wanting total/as much control of the team as possible has me really worried. Cause see my NHL team Washington decided to run like that (have the gm make most if not all decisions) and our team went from one of the best in the league to one of the worst. Now granted this is football but the results i doubt, will differ too much. Hopefully this is all just nonsense and we can get back to worrying about football.

if this is true then Irsay should get rid of him. Ego maniacs can destroy franchises.  Especially when they think they know everything and don't know what they don't know.  Griggs is really starting to rub me the wrong way. 

How about Gruden was six games over .500 in 11 years? And after the SB, was 5 games under .500? He's supposed to be an offensive minded coach who is great with QBs, but his teams came to be known for terrible QBing. The Bucs completely fell apart under his watch, over the course of 7 seasons.

Overrated.

I don't know why you think the post was directed at you....it wasn't.

Gruden has .540 winning %.....Parcells is .570....big deal.

There are many reasons the Bucs went downhill after the SB win.....salary cap issues, injuries, changes in personnel.

I don't care whether he was a QB guru or not, but his QB's were Gannon (MVP), Rodney Pete, Ty Detmer, Brad Johnson, Shaun King, Chris Simms, Brian Griese, Bruce Gradkowski and Jeff Garcia. He's a coach, not a miracle worker.

Is he great? I don't know. But the dislike for the guy on this forum is odd.

Why do some want Mike Shanahan?  He was awful for the Redskins and ruined his rookie "franchise QB"  by playing him while injured in a playoff game.   He showed callous disregard for the franchise's future and looked on emotionlessly as RG3 was carted off the field.   I wouldn't want him anywhere near Andrew Luck.

Sure he was good coach  with the Broncos but that seems like almost a decade ago.   He's hasn't done much of anything lately.  I'd rather keep Pagano over Mike Shanahan.

Most Likely Candidates: 

Adam Gase, OC, Chicago

Greg Roman, OC, Buffalo

Moderate Chance: 

Mike Smith, FA

Not Very Likely: 

David Shaw, HC, Stanford

Bill Lazor, OC, Miami

Jon Gruden, FA

LOL No (aka no chance):

Nick Saban, HC, Alabama

Nonsense to all those.

Let us just get this fixed once and for all and hire

Bill Belichick

A man can dream the impossible dream. I don't like BB, but can live with him to get a SB or two. :peek:

PS: Yes, I know is it a LOL No (aka no chance)

How about a guy that coach along side the hoodie and knows all his philosophies? Matt Patricia, DC Patriots. He would be way better than Josh McDaniels. Like for serious...If we want to defeat the enemy, we must become the enemy. 

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/01/30/patriots-defensive-coordinator-matt-patricia-star-the-making/a301PdyADueaLsByvSt7rO/story.html

“Matt Patricia has every bit as much to do with the Patriots defensive success as anyone in Foxboro,” former Patriots linebacker Matt Chatham wrote for Football by Football. “What plays teams run with their players, how well they’re prepared to execute those plays, and when specifically to call them...that’s what it’s all about. Your puppet won’t work without a great puppeteer.”

Overrated.

I don't want Gruden either.  Not that impressed with him as a head coach.  He is all offense and no defense. Gruden inherited a Super Bowl caliber defense in Tampa and it eroded badly under his watch.   Not interested.

Why do some want Mike Shanahan?  He was awful for the Redskins and ruined his rookie "franchise QB"  by playing him while injured in a playoff game.   He showed callous disregard for the franchise's future and looked on emotionlessly as RG3 was carted off the field.   I wouldn't want him anywhere near Andrew Luck.

Sure he was good coach  with the Broncos but that seems like almost a decade ago.   He's hasn't done much of anything lately.  I'd rather keep Pagano over Mike Shanahan.

He made the playoffs with RG3 and Jake Plummer/Brian Griese......believe he beat the Patriots and God himself Bill Belichick in the playoffs with the latter. He may be a jerk, but he was doing something right.

Why do some want Mike Shanahan? He was awful for the Redskins and ruined his rookie "franchise QB" by playing him while injured in a playoff game. He showed callous disregard for the franchise's future and looked on emotionlessly as RG3 was carted off the field. I wouldn't want him anywhere near Andrew Luck.

Sure he was good coach with the Broncos but that seems like almost a decade ago. He's hasn't done much of anything lately. I'd rather keep Pagano over Mike Shanahan.

mike didn't really want a QB like RG3 it's not his style QB and ownership was to stuck on him for them to bench him. he would love to have a true pocket passer and pro style QB in Luck also his ZBS would be great for us and our run game.