Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is The "sky" The Limit For This Offense?

bluephantom87

Expectations are HIGH for the Colts especially Luck and the offense! So many pubs and analysts say this should be one of if NOT the most EXPLOSIVE offenses in the NFL!!! They say Indy's skillset on offense is insane because they can ATTACK you in SO many ways. Whether it's spreading teams out with multiple wr sets (in which MOST teams lack the depth of quality cbs to match) or by using two te's sets with a healthy D Allen and Fleener (a lot of pressure on lbs to cover) with some guy named Luck (headed to elite status) as the triggerman. Throw in a work horse rb named Gore who can punish and make teams RESPECT the run game (a play action dream) is why the HYPE is real. To me a lot must come together STARTING with that o-line who must gel to become at least average. I think they can based on what I saw toward the END of last season and against the Rams talented front seven in the "dress rehearsal" preseason game. My BIGGEST CONCERN is the COACHING STAFF holding this offense back. Pep has gotten better but I still think is limited when it comes to running a WIDE OPEN ATTACK FIRST offense! I don't know if it comes from Chuck and his principle believe of ESTABLISHING the run first that plays into the overall gameplan or what. TOO many times last year I saw the Colts start games super slow trying to ESTABLISH the non run game with T Rich only to put the ball in Luck's hands and start scoring points. Against the bad teams (afc south) they could recover from slow starts and score crazy points but against the better playoff bound teams they were destroyed by halftime almost. My point is that the formula was ALWAYS the same and that's why I have little faith in this staff's ability to ATTACK different ways WEEK to WEEK based on the opponents weakness. Thoughts?

Expectations are HIGH for the Colts especially Luck and the offense! So many pubs and analysts say this should be one of if NOT the most EXPLOSIVE offenses in the NFL!!! They say Indy's skillset on offense is insane because they can ATTACK you in SO many ways. Whether it's spreading teams out with multiple wr sets (in which MOST teams lack the depth of quality cbs to match) or by using two te's sets with a healthy D Allen and Fleener (a lot of pressure on lbs to cover) with some guy named Luck (headed to elite status) as the triggerman. Throw in a work horse rb named Gore who can punish and make teams RESPECT the run game (a play action dream) is why the HYPE is real. To me a lot must come together STARTING with that o-line who must gel to become at least average. I think they can based on what I saw toward the END of last season and against the Rams talented front seven in the "dress rehearsal" preseason game. My BIGGEST CONCERN is the COACHING STAFF holding this offense back. Pep has gotten better but I still think is limited when it comes to running a WIDE OPEN ATTACK FIRST offense! I don't know if it comes from Chuck and his principle believe of ESTABLISHING the run first that plays into the overall gameplan or what. TOO many times last year I saw the Colts start games super slow trying to ESTABLISH the non run game with T Rich only to put the ball in Luck's hands and start scoring points. Against the bad teams (afc south) they could recover from slow starts and score crazy points but against the better playoff bound teams they were destroyed by halftime almost. My point is that the formula was ALWAYS the same and that's why I have little faith in this staff's ability to ATTACK different ways WEEK to WEEK based on the opponents weakness. Thoughts?

The offense will be very good. Gore will help because he will take advantage of any little opening the O-Line gives him. I still think the defense is what keeps the Colts from being the best team in the NFL.

I expect the offense to be very good but maybe not as explosive as some are hyping them up to be. I don't think it will be a record breaking type of offense but one that will be able to do multiple things very effectively.  I think the offensive line holds them back from being a true juggernaunt.  I feel that our offense as a unit will get stronger as the season goes on so long as they can stay relatively healthy.  Someone key will probably go down at some point.  Our offense's ability to adjust to that will be pivitol. 

The offense will be very good. Gore will help because he will take advantage of any little opening the O-Line gives him. I still think the defense is what keeps the Colts from being the best team in the NFL.

I agree!!! Which is why the coaches MUST take on the mindset to come out in ATTACK MODE on offense. Put the PRESSURE on opposing team defenses by attacking weaknesses. If I play a team that CAN'T stop the run POUND them with Gore. If a team has a WEAK secondary SPREAD them out. I think another reason Chuck wants that ground and pound game is to KEEP the opposing offense on the bench because OUR defense is suspect but MOST teams that RELY on "ground and pound" have game manager qbs and have STRONG defenses.  

As long as the offensive line comes through. I think Dorsett is the X Factor though. Unless you give him the respect of a top WR he's a miss match on the 3rd or 4th CBs he'll be going against. Meaning he'll be open more times than not in a 3 WR set.

likewise I see Dorsett stealing more snaps from Moncrief because of how easily he gains separation and not against just scrubs..Moncrief has the speed and size but he doesn't gain great seperation nor does he know how to use his size to his advantage yet I like em he just needs to learn to use his physical advantages to the best of his abilities.

I agree!!! Which is why the coaches MUST take on the mindset to come out in ATTACK MODE on offense. Put the PRESSURE on opposing team defenses by attacking weaknesses. If I play a team that CAN'T stop the run POUND them with Gore. If a team has a WEAK secondary SPREAD them out. I think another reason Chuck wants that ground and pound game is to KEEP the opposing offense on the bench because OUR defense is suspect but MOST teams that RELY on "ground and pound" have game manager qbs and have STRONG defenses.  

I think the only real hope that this defense is at least mediocre is that the offense will keep them off of the field and they should not be worn out. That will be offset by the defense not being able to get off of the field with third and long.

I agree!!! Which is why the coaches MUST take on the mindset to come out in ATTACK MODE on offense. Put the PRESSURE on opposing team defenses by attacking weaknesses. If I play a team that CAN'T stop the run POUND them with Gore. If a team has a WEAK secondary SPREAD them out. I think another reason Chuck wants that ground and pound game is to KEEP the opposing offense on the bench because OUR defense is suspect but MOST teams that RELY on "ground and pound" have game manager qbs and have STRONG defenses.

Lol the coaches aren't that smart idk how many times we forcefully ran into defenses with strong run def when they had a horrible secondary never have an adjustment till the middle of the third qtr

likewise I see Dorsett stealing more snaps from Moncrief because of how easily he gains separation and not against just scrubs..Moncrief has the speed and size but he doesn't gain great seperation nor does he know how to use his size to his advantage yet I like em he just needs to learn to use his physical advantages to the best of his abilities.

I think Moncrief will play more because it is difficult to have two very small receivers in the game at once.

I think Moncrief will play more because it is difficult to have two very small receivers in the game at once.

Not really. Most CBs are 5'11"-6'0" anyways so it's not like a terrible mismatch. Like I said though, Dorsett will be better than most people he's matched up against.

Let's use the Jets to illustrate. If the Colts come out in a 3 WR set with Hilton and Johnson outside, and Dorsett in the slot, what's the coverage? T.Y. Might be too quick for Revis so Cromartie is on him, plus probably a safety over top. Revis goes one on one with Johnson.

That leaves Dorsett who has 4.2 speed alone with....whoever the Jets slot corner is. Mismatch.

I don't think anything has changed. The determining factor is the OL. Since that has not gotten any better I cannot honestly see us running the ball any better than last year. Frank Gore is not a miracle worker. He cannot run through imaginary holes. I honestly do not see him rushing for more than 600 tops, if he lasts long enough to even get to that number. Dorsett is no answer to anything either. He will be on IR by mid season or sooner. I think we are in for a rude awakening in Buffalo.

Lol the coaches aren't that smart idk how many times we forcefully ran into defenses with strong run def when they had a horrible secondary never have an adjustment till the middle of the third qtr

This all goes back to Chuck and being stubborn to a fault!! I don't like him as a hc because I don't see the willing or maybe the know how to ADAPT or GAMEPLAN  on a weekly basis period! I personally don't like coach Pop of the NBA or Belichick of the Pats but I RESPECT the hell out of their coaching abilities. Both will put their teams in the best position to win by ATTACKING weaknesses. Until the Colts show they can STOP the run Belichick will CONTINUE to use journeyman backs to have CAREER days against the Colts. The great coaches have that "it" factor whether through motivation or x's and o's but ALL have that drive for winning. Do you think ANY of the greats would've had an injured 20% Reggie Wayne on the field (who was getting worse and PRODUCING little due to said injuries) down the stretch heading into the playoffs ONLY to act surprised he gave you ZERO CATCHES / ZERO YDS while STARTING and taking up space in ALL 3 playoff games? Or by handcuffing your team MOST of the season with T Rich WASTING time with his 2yds and a cloud of dust. The traits that Chuck LACKS (as hc) are the very traits NEEDED to become a GOOD coach trying to blossom into a GREAT coach!

I don't think anything has changed. The determining factor is the OL. Since that has not gotten any better I cannot honestly see us running the ball any better than last year. Frank Gore is not a miracle worker. He cannot run through imaginary holes. I honestly do not see him rushing for more than 600 tops, if he lasts long enough to even get to that number. Dorsett is no answer to anything either. He will be on IR by mid season or sooner. I think we are in for a rude awakening in Buffalo.

Dorsett on IR by mid season or sooner??  Frank Gore only getting 600 yards if he even lasts long enough to get to that number??  Laughable at best, Gore has shown NO signs of slowing down. Way to troll the Colts forum  ROFL   :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

That's not true at all!!! It's about who can catch, run a good route and get open. Size has very little to do with that. Dorsett and Hilton make up for thier lack in size with top end speed and quickness. A corner is gonna have a tough time staying with Dorsett. If Dorsett puts one move on a CB and gets by him, he's gonna seperate and get open. He's that fast and quick. T.Y has that same ability.

Just a bunch of negative Nancy hogwash.... that's all this is. No substance or evidence for any of it!!!

Of course there is no evidence of future performance ..... it has not happened yet. Proof will be in the pudding.

So what you said is hogwash and means nothing. Which is what my point was. And if you ask alot of people, they will say our offensive line has been improving little by little. And Gore in the few carries he's had has looked good and like the Gore we all know. And the Dorsett assumption is just silly and stupid quite frankly. Everything you said has not been made evident in any way by pre season or the off season.

Goodness......    here we go to start the new year.

Playing an attack first offense puts the defense at risk.    Score quick,  score first,  score in a hurry,  also translates to the defense not getting any rest.      The team would like nothing more than drives that last 5-7 minutes!    We want to win the time of possession battle.

And where were our weapons last year for this explosive offense?   Reggie Wayne was a shadow of himself for half a season.

So, after TY Hilton,   who was Luck throwing to?    Nicks never panned out.   Moncrief was a rookie.   Griff was Griff.

Allen was hurt for a fair amount of the year and played at 70 percent according to him.

Our OL was average at best,  and where was our running game? 

Pep turned a poor running game into a short quick passing game to Boom to try and generate a faux running game.

I think Pep's done a pretty decent job under very difficult circumstances.    We're top-5 in points and yards.

What more do you want?

As for this year,  I think the offense will be even better.    Perhaps a lot better.

It's on Luck. If he can stop turning the ball over at an alarming rate this offense will be great.

At an alarming rate?.... Luck had a TD to INT ratio of 2.5 last season... placing him firmly in 10th out of the starting qb's last season. 

Better than the following players:

Joe Flacco, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Mathew Stafford, Cam Newton     and obviously a boatload more......

Alarming rate.... honestly....

Peyton had 16 INT's in 2009 and nobody seemed to think he was turning it over at an alarming rate. Yes, Peyton had 16 in his 12th season when we started 14-0 and he was a Veteran and we won MVP. 16 INT's isn't that much when you throw 40 TD's and win 11 games. That stat is so misleading. How do you go back and look at old Threads on this Site? Also I have posted more than once but my profile shows only 1 Post? By the way glad Wayne decided not to play for those cheaters in NE. Love ya Reggie!

At an alarming rate?.... Luck had a TD to INT ratio of 2.5 last season... placing him firmly in 10th out of the starting qb's last season.

Better than the following players:

Joe Flacco, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Mathew Stafford, Cam Newton and obviously a boatload more......

Alarming rate.... honestly....

Fumbles don't count as turnovers now?