Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Debris From Lucas Oil Stadium Roof Injures 3

chad72

Irsay pushed for this rule change allowing teams to open or close their roofs at half-time. We now see why this is a bad idea...fluke or not

Has there been an official statement on this? Do you guys think this rule change will be reversed or at least the teams will use common sense and not open/close the roof when the stadium is filled?

Has there been an official statement on this? Do you guys think this rule change will be reversed or at least the teams will use common sense and not open/close the roof when the stadium is filled?

I haven't heard anything official, but I would be willing to bet that the league retracts that idea for the regular season.

haha No matter how much money is contributed to its construction, it's still mechanical which means it can still break..

Exactly, no matter how much money is spent on the latest innovate advancements freak accidents can still happen even though no one is literally at fault. 

I'm just glad to hear that nobody died as a result of this accident. It's actually amazing that stuff like this rarely transpires in other NFL stadiums to tell you the truth. 

Besides, I'd hate to see any of my forum friends get hurt. 

Irsay pushed for this rule change allowing teams to open or close their roofs at half-time. We now see why this is a bad idea...fluke or not

You're not gonna slam Irsay for this accident are ya? Seriously? That bolt can could have fallen at any time regardless of whether or not a Preseason game was being played or not. 

Jim probably paid their hospital bill & will take care of the injured parties personally. Irsay is a darn nice guy & I will never slam him. 

Okay, I'll admit I do tease him once in awhile concerning his "and um" usage at press conferences once in awhile & I should know better. Sorry Jim. My apologies but I have tremendous admiration for his desire to win every season & I respect his candor about his struggles with pills & alcohol & his continued commitment to get help & treatment when necessary. That takes guts being honest with your fanbase & I love Jim for that level of truth telling overall. 

You're not gonna slam Irsay for this accident are ya? Seriously? That bolt can could have fallen at any time regardless of whether or not a Preseason game was being played or not.

Jim probably paid their hospital bill & will take care of the injured parties personally. Irsay is a darn nice guy & I will never slam him.

Okay, I'll admit I do tease him once in awhile concerning his "and um" usage at press conferences once in awhile & I should know better. Sorry Jim. My apologies but I have tremendous admiration for his desire to win every season & I respect his candor about his struggles with pills & alcohol & his continued commitment to get help & treatment when necessary. That takes guts being honest with your fanbase & I love Jim for that level of truth telling overall.

Not sure what your definition of "slamming" someone is, but that isn't the case. It was simply a statement.

I haven't heard anything official, but I would be willing to bet that the league retracts that idea for the regular season.

I always wondered how owners in league meetings view freak accidents like this one at LOS. In other words, is one accident too many or do they view it like a state's Dept. Of Transportation sees a dangerous stretch of road? Translation: A specific number of injuries/fatalities must occur before the road gets modified or guard rails get put up etc. etc. 

Not trying to be morbid here. Just curious to get a window into how several owners think about fan safety inside home stadiums that's all. Food for thought I guess. 

Not sure what your definition of "slamming" someone is, but that isn't the case. It was simply a statement.

Okay, I accept the fact that your statement was an innocent one ID4U with no bias intended toward Irsay directly. However, your sentence at least to me anyway, created the false inference that because Jim favored opening the roof at halftime & somebody got hurt the approval to do this was a horrible idea & it needs to be changed. Why? 

"Irsay pushed for this rule change allowing teams to open or close their roofs at half-time. We now see why this is a bad idea...fluke or not" 

You don't usually forbid doing a procedure over a rare mishap. It would set a knee jerk reaction to accidents & revised rules that are extremely remote & you can't dramatically change rules over an accident that will not be frequently repeated in close proximity to the 1st accident. 

The policy or rule is not a bad idea. Why change it over an accident that might not occur inside LOS for another 10 years? Let's compromise: We allow the roof to be opened at halftime & just increase mechanical inspections prior to the games themselves. Just a suggestion. Let's not overreact here. That's all I'm saying. 

Exactly, no matter how much money is spent on the latest innovate advancements freak accidents can still happen even though no one is literally at fault. 

I'm just glad to hear that nobody died as a result of this accident. It's actually amazing that stuff like this rarely transpires in other NFL stadiums to tell you the truth. 

This more than likely was some sort of a design flaw rather than a freak accident.

I guarantee that Irsay and anyone else that was/is involved in building the stadium had a very stressful and busy night last night.

When there is a failure that causes injury, whether it be a structure, automobile, medical implants, etc., someone has to answer for that. Even though it wasn't his fault, Irsay will be the one held accountable and will have to answer the questions why, how this happened and ensure that it won't happen again.

I bet the contractors, engineers, technicians and other crew are at the stadium right now trying to figure the root cause and making sure it doesn't happen again. Maybe those bolts were used with out of spec material and will all need to be replaced...maybe something else. I don't know, but in the meantime they should not open the roof with people inside.

I know the chance of getting hit by a sheared bolt is very low but if the risk can be minimized...Yada...yada...

I always wondered how owners in league meetings view freak accidents like this one at LOS. In other words, is one accident too many or do they view it like a state's Dept. Of Transportation sees a dangerous stretch of road? Translation: A specific number of injuries/fatalities must occur before the road gets modified or guard rails get put up etc. etc. 

Not trying to be morbid here. Just curious to get a window into how several owners think about fan safety inside home stadiums that's all. Food for thought I guess.

It wasn't a freak accident. Sometging caused that bolt to break and I bet they are trying to figure it right now.

I never cared for retractable roofs anyway.  I'd rather have a stadium built that can provide a measurable home field advantage, i.e. redirecting noise to the field.

I agree with this 100%.  I wouldn't care about having a retractable roof.  If I'm designing a stadium, one of the main things I'd ask of the engineers is that all crowd noise is directed towards the field

Imperfect world, screws and bolts fall out all the time...1st time hearing something like this happening in the NFL 

This more than likely was some sort of a design flaw rather than a freak accident.

I guarantee that Irsay and anyone else that was/is involved in building the stadium had a very stressful and busy night last night.

When there is a failure that causes injury, whether it be a structure, automobile, medical implants, etc., someone has to answer for that. Even though it wasn't his fault, Irsay will be the one held accountable and will have to answer the questions why, how this happened and ensure that it won't happen again.

I bet the contractors, engineers, technicians and other crew are at the stadium right now trying to figure the root cause and making sure it doesn't happen again. Maybe those bolts were used with out of spec material and will all need to be replaced...maybe something else. I don't know, but in the meantime they should not open the roof with people inside.

I know the chance of getting hit by a sheared bolt is very low but if the risk can be minimized...Yada...yada...

To me, this incident is like an automobile recall for a faulty ignition switch. Does the car company go belly up & file for bankruptcy? No, they fix the actual problem even if it is a design flaw. If you wanna temporarily ban opening the roof at halftime until you are confident that the problem has been resolved fine, but you don't modify a rule permanently over a bizarre technical glitch forever. That's insane & not practical at all. 

Yes, any NFL owner is responsible for the safety of their fan base within reason of course. Naturally, no owner wants any fan to get hurt, but come on, you can't life your life based on what might happen. 

I agree.  I do however, love the window open, which shows a great view of downtown Indy.   It's a great site to see.

That's definitely a nice touch.  I'm not saying I want our stadium to be just like Century Link, but if we had a similar design, you'd be able to see much of downtown Indy if it the same way Lucas Oil is now.  Of course, on the other side, you'd see a bunch of parking, traffic, and warehouses.  Maybe close that side up, lol.

To me, this incident is like an automobile recall for a faulty ignition switch. Does the car company go belly up & file for bankruptcy? No, they fix the actual problem even if it is a design flaw. If you wanna temporarily ban opening the roof at halftime until you are confident that the problem has been resolved fine, but you don't modify a rule permanently over a bizarre technical glitch forever. That's insane & not practical at all. 

Yes, any NFL owner is responsible for the safety of their fan base within reason of course. Naturally, no owner wants any fan to get hurt, but come on, you can't life your life based on what might happen.

LOL...what?

Your reply has nothing to do with my post.

Ok, let's use your automobile ignition comparison. If they continue to open the roof with people inside without finding the cause of the failure and making the appropriate fix to ensure it doesn't happen again, that would be like the auto manufacturer NOT having the recall and telling the consumers "we will not fix this, fend for yourselves."

I can guarantee if they ignore the issue and it happens again someone will be in deep doodoo.

And who said anything about living life based on what might happen?

Imperfect world, screws and bolts fall out all the time...1st time hearing something like this happening in the NFL 

Vikings construction worker (roofer) died last week while working on their new stadium.

"The death of a construction worker on the Minnesota Vikings' new stadium occurred after he slid down a roof, broke through a guardrail and fell to an elevated platform below, said a report released Tuesday on the state Department of Labor and Industry's fatality investigation page."

Not sure if you heard it but that is scary. Like a penny dropped from the Empire State building, the bolt can cause a lot of damage if it fell from the roof. Irsay is probably doing damage control or the CIB is.

http://www.wthr.com/story/29957064/woman-injured-by-falling-debris-at-lucas-oil-stadium

A penny reaches it's terminal velocity at about 50 feet, and will travel no faster no matter how high you drop it from. It would maybe sting a bit from the top of the Empire State building, but that's it. It would hurt more if I threw it at you. 

Thank you science. 

Anywho....I'd say this "bolt" must've been rather large to injure three people that seriously. 

Vikings construction worker (roofer) died last week while working on their new stadium.

"The death of a construction worker on the Minnesota Vikings' new stadium occurred after he slid down a roof, broke through a guardrail and fell to an elevated platform below, said a report released Tuesday on the state Department of Labor and Industry's fatality investigation page."

Sorry thought you sent another message my bad and Yes I heard about that but meant the 1st time a fan got hurt during a game do to falling debris from a stadium