Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

dorsett highlights

CR91

Can you say crazy hype!? ^^^^

As most probably know by now I think all of this hype is a little over the top.

I get it a first round pick but settle the hype down! Someone may be really disappointed.

Give the guy some time. He isn't not T.Y. Hilton 2.0!

He is his own player and was drafted in the first round. To have the expectations of him performing like T.Y. Hilton are not really fair to him.

I get it that he was our first rounder but the hype is crazy!

I get it a first round pick but settle the hype down! Someone may be really disappointed.

He is his own player and was drafted in the first round. To have the expectations of him performing like T.Y. Hilton are not really fair to him.

That's what happens when people are deprived of football for a whole offseason

its not really hype. the kid has everything you look for speed, hands, and a good head on his shoulders. add some legit route running and eventually it will be more then just assumed hype

Man I cant wait to see Dorsett and Hilton on the field together. Then you throw in a big 6'3 beast or two like AJ and Moncrief and our offense is going to be close to unstoppable. Teams are really going to struggle defending the pass against us. Especially now that we'll have a run game. But yeah I absolutely love Dorsett. But I wonder how the playing time will be worked out with Dorsett, Moncrief, and Carter? AJ and TY are the main guys, but then I think Dorsett may be the 3rd. But I'm  expecting big things from Moncrief, and Carter's been looking good too. We'll definitely be seeing a lot of 4 receiver sets.

What are you talking about? Someone posted a highlight reel from college... Where's the hype?

Man I cant wait to see Dorsett and Hilton on the field together. Then you throw in a big 6'3 beast or two like AJ and Moncrief and our offense is going to be close to unstoppable. Teams are really going to struggle defending the pass against us. Especially now that we'll have a run game. But yeah I absolutely love Dorsett. But I wonder how the playing time will be worked out with Dorsett, Moncrief, and Carter? AJ and TY are the main guys, but then I think Dorsett may be the 3rd. But I'm  expecting big things from Moncrief, and Carter's been looking good too. We'll definitely be seeing a lot of 4 receiver sets.

im gonna guess its gonna be more about what team we're facing and if rather size or speed is the best way to combat what their trying to do defensively or if they focus too much on the pass, run the ball down their throats 20 times with gore

Why should we settle down? We're fans, and that's what fans do. If we temper our expectations, will the Colts will do better? I'm tired of people telling us fellow fans to temper our enthusiasm. If you want to mellow out, that's cool. But some of us get into it big time, and like to think positive. Why in the world would you tell anyone to chill out? If one of us is pumped up about our team, that's OK. This is what being a fan is all about.

I can not wait to see this guy play this year. The little that I got a chance to see him play last year. I realize then there are two kind of fast when you're talking about speed. There is fast and Jamaica fast. Dorsett is Jamaica fast. He got that type of speed you see once every four years when the summer Olympics comes on. Thats he new nickname Jamaica. All jokes aside this season there will be no more doubling TY. I can't wait until game one in Buffalo.

The winner in this whole deal is Frank Gore and our defense.      Frank will have a HUGE yr.  ANd the D will finally be able to stay rested on the sidelines.  But dont get me wrong...  Luck will be able to score on practically every play

I agree. Gore won't have 8 in the box, and if he does, Luck will make them pay.(audibles) You can only defend so many people. I'm salivating at what our O can do. We might re-write the record books. If our D is even average, we should have no problem getting to the Bowl.

The winner in this whole deal is Frank Gore and our defense.      Frank will have a HUGE yr.  ANd the D will finally be able to stay rested on the sidelines.  But dont get me wrong...  Luck will be able to score on practically every play

Agree on Gore. I think we'll finally have another 1,000 yard running back this year. He wont get much over 1,000 because we'll throw the ball so much but Gore's gonna be a great addition to our offense. He's one of those special type guys who doesn't really slow down with age. He's still got 2 more good years in him at least.

I agree. Gore won't have 8 in the box, and if he does, Luck will make them pay.(audibles) You can only defend so many people. I'm salivating at what our O can do. We might re-write the record books. If our D is even average, we should have no problem getting to the Bowl.

Totally agree. And I think our defense can be pretty good this year. We should be able to put consistent pressure on the QB for one thing. Remember how frustrating the Steelers game was? When Ben had all day in the pocket because we couldn't get any pressure on him? Getting Mathis back, Signing Cole, and the development of Newsome should take care of that. And as for the D-Line Its going to be big having Art Jones healthy. Look for him to be a force this year.

its not really hype. the kid has everything you look for speed, hands, and a good head on his shoulders. add some legit route running and eventually it will be more then just assumed hype

I'm not saying he doesn't have those things. He just hasn't even played in an NFL game yet. But I can agree with you!

Why should we settle down? We're fans, and that's what fans do. If we temper our expectations, will the Colts will do better? I'm tired of people telling us fellow fans to temper our enthusiasm. If you want to mellow out, that's cool. But some of us get into it big time, and like to think positive. Why in the world would you tell anyone to chill out? If one of us is pumped up about our team, that's OK. This is what being a fan is all about.

I didn't attack anyone nor did I tell anyone to settle down. I'm giving my opinion that I think there is a lot of hype but he hasn't even played an NFL game yet! I'm just saying it's not even really fair to Dorsett to expect him to be like T.Y.

I'm saying that the hype is so large if Dorsett doesn't have a great season people will be disappointed and SOME people will be saying "BUST" which wouldn't be true at all! I'm just saying he may take time to develop. I don't expect him to be the best rookie receiver of all time like some make it sound like. Imo Dorsett's college career really wasn't that great. (It was alright) and he hasn't played an NFL game yet (soon). I can't see how SOME think he is basically the best rookie receiver out there.

Actually I think Trent Richardson ruined most people's, including mine trust in hyping up a player for so long and just being completely disappointed! haha

It's not like I'm not excited for Dorsett! I think he can be good. I'm more excited for Geathers or Anderson though.

What are you talking about? Someone posted a highlight reel from college... Where's the hype?

There have been multiple threads about him.... That's what I'm talking about. Also see 3rd comment. (#1 receiver in this years draft) a lot of hype! Not saying the comment is wrong. Just using it as an example of the "hype" I'm talking about.

I think our main formation will be a 3wr set, TY,AJ, and Dorsett.

As much as the fans hyping the Colts up. I don't think this team over confident. Not the way they got worked in New England in the AFC Championship game. Starting with the GM, and the whole deflate gate. Down to everybody that brought in, free agents, the draft. This team is hungry to say the least. One team the Colts will beat in the ground is New England. I think the Colts will drop 50 on the Pats. And they will still be passing. Teams will have to put their best Conners on TY and Dorsett Just imagine what A and Gore will do

I didn't attack anyone nor did I tell anyone to settle down. I'm giving my opinion that I think there is a lot of hype but he hasn't even played an NFL game yet! I'm just saying it's not even really fair to Dorsett to expect him to be like T.Y.

I'm saying that the hype is so large if Dorsett doesn't have a great season people will be disappointed and SOME people will be saying "BUST" which wouldn't be true at all! I'm just saying he may take time to develop. I don't expect him to be the best rookie receiver of all time like some make it sound like. Imo Dorsett's college career really wasn't that great. (It was alright) and he hasn't played an NFL game yet (soon). I can't see how SOME think he is basically the best rookie receiver out there.

Actually I think Trent Richardson ruined most people's, including mine trust in hyping up a player for so long and just being completely disappointed! haha

It's not like I'm not excited for Dorsett! I think he can be good. I'm more excited for Geathers or Anderson though.

I think it's pretty obvious you never watched him or Miami play. As Superman pointed out to you in a previous post, Dorsett had Stephen Morris and a freshmen last year (Brad Kaaya) throwing him the ball -  calling them average is being very generous. On top of that, that offense went through Duke Johnson first and THEN everybody else. So for the guy to put up close to 900 yards on only 36 catches, yes that's close to 25 yards a catch, is beyond impressive. He went in the first for this very reason, he maximized what little opportunity he got. Thankfully he did only produce what he did because had he been in a pass happy offense, his numbers would have been off the charts and Dorsett probably isn't a Colt right now.

I think we'll be in 3 and 4 WR sets roughly 30-50% of the time, so our 3rd and 4th WR's should get plenty of snaps.

As Irsay/Grigson/Pagano said after the draft,  if our 3rd and 4th WR's are better than their 3rd and 4th CB's,  then we have a winning formula.     The possibilities are huge for the Colts.

And so far, my favorite quality about Dorsett is that we're asking him to learn all four WR spots and he appears to be catching on really, really well.     He doesn't appear to be overwhelmed yet.

Of course,  all that changes once we start playing games.     Pre-season games will be the first test.   And then regular season games will be the ultimate test.     But so far,  so good....    :thmup:

There have been multiple threads about him.... That's what I'm talking about. Also see 3rd comment. (#1 receiver in this years draft) a lot of hype! Not saying the comment is wrong. Just using it as an example of the "hype" I'm talking about.

I don't see how fans being excited about their team's first round draft pick is equal to "hype." I also don't see a lot of people saying he's going to perform like Hilton (I don't really see anyone saying that, to be honest). Most people around here realize that he's not going to have a great year, statistically speaking, barring injuries ahead of him.

I think it's pretty obvious you never watched him or Miami play. As Superman pointed out to you in a previous post, Dorsett had Stephen Morris and a freshmen last year (Brad Kaaya) throwing him the ball -  calling them average is being very generous. On top of that, that offense went through Duke Johnson first and THEN everybody else. So for the guy to put up close to 900 yards on only 36 catches, yes that's close to 25 yards a catch, is beyond impressive. He went in the first for this very reason, he maximized what little opportunity he got. Thankfully he did only produce what he did because had he been in a pass happy offense, his numbers would have been off the charts and Dorsett probably isn't a Colt right now.

Brad Kaaya might wind up being pretty good in college, but last season, a lot of his yardage came from YAC on passes to Dorsett and Duke Johnson. He also had a pretty nice TE in Clive Walford, their second leading receiver. All three of those guys are now in the NFL. That's over 60% of Kaaya's passing yardage from 2014. Let's see what he does this year.

Brad Kaaya might wind up being pretty good in college, but last season, a lot of his yardage came from YAC on passes to Dorsett and Duke Johnson. He also had a pretty nice TE in Clive Walford, their second leading receiver. All three of those guys are now in the NFL. That's over 60% of Kaaya's passing yardage from 2014. Let's see what he does this year.

Without a doubt Brad could, he didn't have a terrible Frosh year by any means, but Dorsett was hindered by him and Johnson. Good thing Al Davis had passed on because Dorsett might have been a Raider regardless of what he had done statistically last year. His measurables alone would have had Al Davis giddy.

Dorsett is very good, but Carter will be better (you can't teach blood-lines), also Moncrief, Johnson and T.Y. will be better than him as well.  (wow, i really went out on a limb there.....)

bloodline is overrated. how did jerry rice's son do in the nfl? how did joe montana's son do? how did walter payton's son do?

You need a Valium. Let it go dude.

You guys are naysayers........... (bad attitude folks)

Dorsett WILL be the first player selected to the HOF..... while he is still playing.... maybe next year 

Ok...... but seriously

I am excited to see what this kid can do

We might just have the offense that no one can keep up with............

(Think basketball)

Who needs a defense?

LOL

I'm excited to watch him play and see what he can do! Everyone knows how I feel by now!

The highlight tape does look good! I went to a couple training camps and he did play well at those practices. If Luck can build that timing with all of his receivers this year (which he most likely will) it will be a dangerous offense. I think Dorsett will be used in some exciting ways! Let's see if he produces. As long with all of the other Rookies who can try and help this team get over that AFC Championship game hump!

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/27/8465741/2015-nfl-draft-phillip-dorsett-miami-scouting-report-breakdown

Here is another great article showing his skills. HOW DID KAAYA NOT GET HIM THE BALL ENOUGH

Duke Johnson is why.. As I said in a previous post be thankful he didn't get thrown to a ton or he would have probably went off statistically and been drafted much higher.

Duke Johnson is why.. As I said in a previous post be thankful he didn't get thrown to a ton or he would have probably went off statistically and been drafted much higher.

True, I loved Duke I wanted us to get him but I am ok with Robinson. Even so, they were so close to beating FSU this year. Maybe a couple more passes to Phillip could have made the difference

bloodline is overrated. how did jerry rice's son do in the nfl? how did joe montana's son do? how did walter payton's son do?

there are just as many examples of father-son bloodlines working out great.  probably more (think about other sports as well, it isn't a coincidence.) 

To be honest, I think Dorsett is a better player than TY coming out of college.  TY and Dorsett have very similar speed (just saw Dorsett say in an interview that TY is the fastest player he's ever played with and it is hard to tell who out of the 2 of them is faster), but I think Dorsett has better hands and route-running skills coming out of college than TY did.  Now if he can learn from TY and Andre, I think he actually has more potential than TY, which is pretty scary.  I have always trusted Edgerrin James' football knowledge and have heard him say multiple times that Dorsett has the potential to be GREAT.

I think the O and the D will really need to help eachother this year.  If the O can get off to quick starts, which we have struggled with the past couple seasons, it should allow the D to pin their ears back and go after the QB.  We certainly have the pass-rushers to do this (even if Mathis isn't fully healthy, I think Cole and Newsome can be very good, a healthy Mathis is a huge bonus).  We finally have a solid RB in the Luck-era -- if we can get early leads, I see no reason why we won't be able to kill the clock with our running game and 2 TE sets.  What makes the O so scary to me is, if they stay healthy, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to move the ball at will on pretty much any team.

However, there will be games vs. teams like Pittsburgh, New England, and maybe Denver in the AFC and teams like Philly, Dallas, NYG, Green Bay, and maybe Seattle in the NFC where the other offense will have serious fire power.  We will need our D to be above average in these games -- as much as I like and trust Luck, it is going to be hard to put money against Brady, Big Ben, Rogers, or Eli (who is one of the most clutch post-season performers ever) in a big game that comes down to one play or one drive.  So, while the D should benefit from the O, we need them to be much improved from last year to avoid the 40 and 50 plus point games against us.

IMO, it will be crucial for us to win most of our 'big games' in the regular season because home field advantage will be HUGE for this team come playoff time, especially with the speed of our offense -- we'll be much more suited to play under our roof than in the elements that Pitts, NE, Denver, etc.. could bring.

Dorsett is very good, but Carter will be better (you can't teach blood-lines), also Moncrief, Johnson and T.Y. will be better than him as well.  (wow, i really went out on a limb there.....)

This is premature, IMO.  I think Johnson is better than Carter and they are very similar (my hope is that Carter learns from Johnson for a year or 2, has the ability to perform if we give Johnson a few plays of rest during that time, and then really comes into his own).  Dorsett and TY are very similar receivers as well.  Moncrief, IMO, is kind of a hybrid of the other 4 -- blazing speed (like TY/Dorsett) and very good size (Johnson and Carter), but not as precise of a route runner or as good of hands as any of them (though, a good offseason may have changed this). 

I think Johnson and TY are going to put their numbers up, for sure.  The other 3, I think will be a week to week basis -- depending on how the game is going and what our game plan is.  Moncrief and Dorsett both have the ability to blow the roof off of defenses and I envision both of them doing some multiple times this year -- whereas Carter seems to be much better suited as a possession WR, which I imagine we will need often times to kill clock and hold on to leads.

• 2 weeks later...

there are just as many examples of father-son bloodlines working out great.  probably more (think about other sports as well, it isn't a coincidence.) 

I can only think of the mathews and mannings off the top of my head