Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hakeem Nicks says he wasn't a "Good Fit" with Colts

TKnight24

Hakeem Nicks says he wasn't a very good fit in Pep Hamilton's system with the Colts http://t.co/y0942ml1ZB

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

August 2, 2015

Not sure how you're not a good fit when you're getting passes thrown to you, you're just not making plays but whatever makes him happy. Now he has a rookie throwing him the ball. If he doesn't succeed there, we'll see what his excuse is

So you don't have to click the link to find out what he said:

Pep Hamilton's Colts offense wasn't a very good fit for his skills, Nicks said, but Ken Whisenhunt's scheme is.

"It's more one-on-one, trips backside, vertical throw, shallow-cross game, that's more of my style if you look at my past history, where I excelled," Nicks said.

Pep Hamilton's Colts offense wasn't a very good fit for his skills, Nicks said, but Ken Whisenhunt's scheme is.

"It's more one-on-one, trips backside, vertical throw, shallow-cross game, that's more of my style if you look at my past history, where I excelled," Nicks said.

When was the last time he excelled?

We misused him often for sure, Way to many short passing routes trying to get him in space instead of trying to send him vertical often allowing him to use his height, Look at his splits on ESPN from 11--40 yards 11 receptions 207 yards 18.8 yards per reception 3 TD's  http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/12586/hakeem-nicks

It don't show targets in those areas unfortunately....you would think if your going to show receptions you would show targets in those splits as well

We misused him often for sure, Way to many short passing routes trying to get him in space instead of trying to send him vertical often allowing him to use his height, Look at his splits on ESPN from 11--40 yards 11 receptions 207 yards 18.8 yards per reception 3 TD's  http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/12586/hakeem-nicks

It don't show targets in those areas unfortunately....you would think if your going to show receptions you would show targets in those splits as well

I think the reason we "misused him for sure" is that the guy wasn't in shape for most of the year and he couldn't separate from defensive backs.

Why have him go vertical when he was rarely open when we did send him deep?

I think the reason we "misused him for sure" is that the guy wasn't in shape for most of the year and he couldn't separate from defensive backs.

He's never been the guy who gets much separation from his defenders. He goes over the top of the CB. He's a vertical, one on one, size vs size guy. Look at the pass he caught in the wild card game. That's who he is. He didn't have his defender beat, but he went over him for the catch.

I agree with the ability to get separation part, It was not there consistently but that's not his game(The dude ran a 4.63 40 at the Combine). I don't recall any rumblings of him being out of shape but I have slept since he left so I might have forgotten them, But you send him deep trying to take advantage of his size instead of throwing him these 10 yards and in routes trying to get him in space, There are receivers in the NFL who don't have great deep speed who did well going deep because they could use there size which Nicks has compared to the average Corner, My point is I think we had to try more to him deep, He did catch some deep including 1 vs the Bengals in the playoffs that went for 45 yards, A 26 yarder vs the Texans that went for a td

He was clearly a disappointment but I think we misused him or did not try hard to get the ball to him deep

Nicks never had success with Luck, but he appeared to click with Hasselbeck. I still can't quite explain that little mystery. Not a slam on Matthew BTW. 

I was so disappointed in Nicks. Man, he let me down big time. His glory days with the Giants are dead & gone now. I just don't see him setting the NFL world on fire with Tennessee personally. 

He's never been the guy who gets much separation from his defenders. He goes over the top of the CB. He's a vertical, one on one, size vs size guy. Look at the pass he caught in the wild card game. That's who he is. He didn't have his defender beat, but he went over him for the catch.

By the wildcard game,  Nicks was in the best shape he'd been in all season.   He started coming around sometime in November/December.     He was lighter on his feet,  he had a little suddenness to his game,  a bit of a burst.    All the things that were mostly missing through camp, pre-season and at least the first half of the regular season -- maybe longer.

I agree with the ability to get separation part, It was not there consistently but that's not his game(The dude ran a 4.63 40 at the Combine). I don't recall any rumblings of him being out of shape but I have slept since he left so I might have forgotten them, But you send him deep trying to take advantage of his size instead of throwing him these 10 yards and in routes trying to get him in space, There are receivers in the NFL who don't have great deep speed who did well going deep because they could use there size which Nicks has compared to the average Corner, My point is I think we had to try more to him deep, He did catch some deep including 1 vs the Bengals in the playoffs that went for 45 yards, A 26 yarder vs the Texans that went for a td

He was clearly a disappointment but I think we misused him or did not try hard to get the ball to him deep

There was an ESPN Insider story talking about how he wasn't in shape in camp or the 1st half of the season.    It didn't get much attention here.

I think Nicks started coming around in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.    By then, he had played his way into better shape.

Put another way,  toward the end of the season,  we were desperate for wide out targets.   Wayne was a shadow of himself.  Teams focused on Hilton.   Moncrief was a rookie.    We finally targeted Nicks more.    But he looked (to my eyes) to be in much better shape.

I have no issue with how we used him.    But I do have an issue with how Nicks blew his opportunity here.    If you'll remember,  he was among the last FA WR's to sign.   Almost no one was interested in him this past off-season.    There's a good reason for that.

There was an ESPN Insider story talking about how he wasn't in shape in camp or the 1st half of the season.    It didn't get much attention here.

I think Nicks started coming around in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.    By then, he had played his way into better shape.

Put another way,  toward the end of the season,  we were desperate for wide out targets.   Wayne was a shadow of himself.  Teams focused on Hilton.   Moncrief was a rookie.    We finally targeted Nicks more.    But he looked (to my eyes) to be in much better shape.

I have no issue with how we used him.    But I do have an issue with how Nicks blew his opportunity here.    If you'll remember,  he was among the last FA WR's to sign.   Almost no one was interested in him this past off-season.    There's a good reason for that.

"Almost no one was interested in him this past off-season.    There's a good reason for that."

I agree but a reason we don't know....It could have been injury history. Teams wont just not sign a player who can put up 1000 yards because he isn't in great shape...They will at least bring him in to get a first hand look. As to the insider story I don't have a subscription so I could not read the story, On the last game of the 2013 season (with the Giants then) he sprained his ankle which I wonder if that had some carry over affect while he was a Colt, Im not sure one way or the other but it very well could have.......The ankle was likely 100% but that don't mean his strength was.

Any way you slice it I agree he was a big disappointment...Very frustrating especially the fact that he was not even a factor vs NE in the playoffs

So this is Nicks saying he isn't a dynamic, fluid, flexible player? Cool. Whatever. 

Sorry, but I saw him fail to get open like 98% of the time, and we're talking vertical routes and shallow crosses, just like he claims to "excel in". 

He set himself up here: If he doesn't make an impact in Minnesota, he just told us that its on him.