Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen....... Unhappy about Colts Post?

TKnight24

Attention and credit from whom?

Keep in mind, in 2012, Allen got twice as many reps as Fleener. He missed almost all of 2013, then wasn't 100% in 2014. 

Media and other fans.  Its Fleener and Allen, not Allen and Fleener.  Kind of a perception thing.  I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken the rookie year Fleener was injured alot and Allen got most of the reps.  Second year Allen was injured and Fleener got most of the reps.  Last year they both showed glimpses of great things.  I think it will be a huge battle this year, because it is contract year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts only kept one.  IMO, I think they both are equals at this point though.  I do like what Allen brings to the table more though because we have plenty of receivers that can put up the numbers, but what Allen does in the blocking game is extremely valuable, because of the weak OL in the past.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, we're not the only ones, just the loudest. People like the hot ticket and Fleener is the hot ticket right now. Much of the same people who love Fleener now, hated him his rookie year and loved Allen. I've liked them both from the start but it was always evident Allen is just on another level.

Take away Allen's injuries and there would be no conversation here. Dwayne Allen knows that, I know that, you know that, Tony Gonzalez knows that. Hell, Coby Fleener likely knows that.

That is a valid point: "Much of the same people who love Fleener now, hated him his rookie year and loved Allen." I remember Bruce Arians on NFL Network saying that Coby had a long way to go almost as if the divide was so wide that Bruce had some reservations about Fleener's ability to make up ground & remain in the starting lineup. Just the way Arians said it with his sad tone was like when a woman says to her boyfriend "we need to talk." Uh oh. You're about to dumped, re-assigned, or cut man. Plus, Fleener's never been a great blocker. Whereas Allen excels at that. 

I just get this strange vibe that some fans think that since Luck & Fleener went to Stanford University together that this connection can never be broken. Why the hades not? I don't hate Fleener, but if you gave me a choice between Coby & Dwayne. I know who I'd send packing easy.  

Media and other fans.  Its Fleener and Allen, not Allen and Fleener.  Kind of a perception thing.  I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken the rookie year Fleener was injured alot and Allen got most of the reps.  Second year Allen was injured and Fleener got most of the reps.  Last year they both showed glimpses of great things.  I think it will be a huge battle this year, because it is contract year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts only kept one.  IMO, I think they both are equals at this point though.  I do like what Allen brings to the table more though because we have plenty of receivers that can put up the numbers, but what Allen does in the blocking game is extremely valuable, because of the weak OL in the past.

I think most of the media who actually pays attention recognizes Allen as the better overall player. And the staff obviously has shown how much they value Allen in the way they use him. I don't get this Fleener > Allen vibe that you do, but our perspectives might just be different. They have different strengths and weaknesses, and are totally different as players, so I don't really compare them to each other, personally.

Side note to the bolded, Fleener will likely never be the blocker Allen is, but he's gotten better the past couple years, and isn't as bad as people pretend. 

That is a valid point: "Much of the same people who love Fleener now, hated him his rookie year and loved Allen." I remember Bruce Arians on NFL Network saying that Coby had a long way to go almost as if the divide was so wide that Bruce had some reservations about Fleener's ability to make up ground & remain in the starting lineup. Just the way Arians said it with his sad tone was like when a woman says to her boyfriend "we need to talk." Uh oh. You're about to dumped, re-assigned, or cut man. Plus, Fleener's never been a great blocker. Whereas Allen excels at that. 

I just get this strange vibe that some fans think that since Luck & Fleener went to Stanford University together that this connection can never be broken. Why the hades not? I don't hate Fleener, but if you gave me a choice between Coby & Dwayne. I know who I'd send packing easy.

Fleener probably would have continued to struggle if Arians had stayed. He is not the type of TE that Arians prefers. Makes me wonder why the Colts drafted him with Arians as OC.

Allen has to understand why Fleener was taken before him? If anything Allen should have a grudge at other teams who passed on him in the 2nd round. From what I understood it was a mixed opinion from all the teams on what TE should go first. I think the Colts were shocked to find Allen in the 3rd round. I am glad he was there and for some to make an issue it makes no difference because the Colts have them both at this point.

Please explain that to me?  In a way that makes sense and is reasonable.

Please explain that to me?  In a way that makes sense and is reasonable.

It's not hard to understand if you think back. Fleener was drafted because he was on the Colts draft board over Allen and I guess it was because of his ties with Luck. At the time of the draft the Colts had no players on offense. No starting QB, TEs or RBs. You say the Colts better smarten up? Really? Allen is used at what he is best at. Blocking and making catches off of those blocks. Allen has missed more games being injured that he has played over the last two seasons. When Fleener and Allen are both on the field the Colts lead the league in passing offense so something is being done right. Why some feel the need to make an issue on who is better than the other is useless as they are both used together as a team. Both Allen and Fleener lead the team in TD catches. IMO way too much is being made of all this. If it's not broken don't fix it.

and hes arguably better than a couple of the players on it. 

That's kinda where my disdain is. His reaction was suggesting exactly what you said above. In this team sport of all team sports, if a player suggests that's he's "better" than another player, he damn well better be referring to a player for another team. 

There are 53 players on an NFL roster.  There are 10 players featured on there.  That doesn't mean 43 players should be upset over it.  With that said, I don't know if he's upset, or if he's just going to use it for motivation to be one of our best players next yeari

To bad Trent Richardson was not still on the team I am sure he would be upset not being on the POSTER haha

That's kinda where my disdain is. His reaction was suggesting exactly what you said above. In this team sport of all team sports, if a player suggests that's he's "better" than another player, he damn well better be referring to a player for another team.

To be fair, they were two kickers on the poster.....

Fleener is taller but not much faster (in pads, game speed) and Allen has better hops. Allen is a better route runner, better hands, and better at making receptions in traffic. Allen can play Fleener's role and excel at it. I keep saying it, I like Fleener, he's progressed well, but Allen is a rare bread with little to no weakness (maybe injuries).

Dwayne is a rare bread because the all-around TE is becoming extinct. Only he, Witten, Gronk, & Miller(if I forgot some others let me know) are the only TEs who are top notch in catching & blocking which is why it would be in our best interest to lock him up long term.

Allen is a far better and more diverse TE than Fleener could ever hope to be.  The staff using him wrong is the problem as well as his injuries.  Still, he's the only one missing from that vaunted draft class and it's a contract year.  Them leaving him off was clearly a message, either he's the odd man out or they want him to step up.  But to do so, they need to utilize his significant talents.  And that photo was a simple matter of a nice photoshop job, it wasn't posed for as a group.  I sure would prefer to keep Allen over Fleener by a mile.  

*On a silly side note, for the past two years I have used Allen as a primary receiver along with Hilton on Madden and in both years by the end of his career, he held the touchdown records (surpassing Jerry Rice) in the Madden record books for all receivers.  If the play selections have any similarity to the actual Colts playbook, there are oodles of plays where he can shred opposing teams as a computer game character.  I have him, Luck and Hilton all playing at 38 years old on the game right now.  Looking forward to the new one coming out in August.  

Fleener probably would have continued to struggle if Arians had stayed. He is not the type of TE that Arians prefers. Makes me wonder why the Colts drafted him with Arians as OC.

That is a darn good point BOTT. Fleener is the last guy Bruce would have picked. Yeah, I know Bruce was the OC not the GM or HC, but wouldn't you think in the draft room Chuck would look at Bruce & go "Can you work with this kid Coby or should we be looking at another TE." For crying outloud, everybody & their momma knows that Arians worked with Big Ben in Pittsburgh & that 1 of his go to guys was Heath Miller & what does Heath Miller do well? Block & get you the dirty, gritty yards for their RB. 

To be fair, I never saw any Stanford games that Fleener played in college, but if blocking isn't a TE's strong suit, you weigh your other options 1st before you green light signing Coby. I agree BOTT. If Arians was still our OC now, Fleener would be gone no question. 

Again, I don't hate Fleener, but I don't keep a guy who seldom blocks & dump a dude in Allen who consistently does whenever the situation demands it. This isn't a popularity contest people; It's a production contest. 

I know what people are gonna say "But SW1, doesn't availability matter & Coby is always healthy while Allen can't claim that throughout his career?" Yeah, it's a valid point Dwayne has been nicked up a lot, but I think Allen is due for a monster year. I've said it before & I'll say it again: Allen gives me confidence every time I see him lineup in a must move the chain mover down while Fleener just doesn't make me go "We got this." It's just how I feel. Allen also has tremendous body control to shield the ball from the defender, create separation, & prevent picks. 

It could also be his last year if he doesn't play that well, or gets injured again. Just balancing it out for you.

If you asking me if Dwayne Allen is the injury prone equivalent of our former SB winning safety Bob Sanders, I'd say flat out no not even close BHC. Generally, I don't see prolonged injury woes with Allen myself. 

Maybe it's wishful thinking or blissful ignorance on my part, but I really want keep Dwayne for the longhaul after this season & beyond. Yes, no one has a crystal ball to see into the future I know, but Allen must be kept in the blue horseshoe fold. I sincerely believe that. Get it done Jim Irsay. Allen is money man.  

Plus, I like my WRs & TEs to be tall & Allen is 6 ft. 3 in. tall which is another reason I frowned on the Phillip Dorsett pick initially. Phillip is only 5 ft. 10 in height. Yeah, I know TY Hilton is 5 ft 9 in. tall & very productive. That's true. I just like tall offensive weapons for Luck to find in a scrum if the protection breaks down in a hurry. 

I think most of the media who actually pays attention recognizes Allen as the better overall player. And the staff obviously has shown how much they value Allen in the way they use him. I don't get this Fleener > Allen vibe that you do, but our perspectives might just be different. They have different strengths and weaknesses, and are totally different as players, so I don't really compare them to each other, personally.

Side note to the bolded, Fleener will likely never be the blocker Allen is, but he's gotten better the past couple years, and isn't as bad as people pretend. 

My issue is this: That some Colts fans are treating the potential loss of Allen after this season as no big deal like a normal cap casualty cost of doing business. To me, the issue isn't which TE deserves to be defended more, but whose loss off the field will have the greater impact longterm down the road? Allen hands down IMO. 

I get the sense that some fans feel that Coby is being disrespected, but I would make the argument that Dwayne's contributions to this club are being if not disrespected heavily glossed over & taken for granted.