Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JJ Watt NUMBER 1!

bap1331

I agree with this.  A QB doesn't always have to be the #1 Player.   

No denying JJ is at the top of his game right now.

no doubt! I completely agree with you but i think everyone was so sure Brady was going to be #1 that JJ Watt was surprising...

especially within our own division...

So when people say, "Luck throws so many interceptions...". you say, "try facing watt twice a year!"

In a league where the offense is the focus, the man who most disrupts that deserves all the accolades he gets!

#RESPECT

Preach jmac_48! Preach! Plus, football is all about bloody pass rushers not pretty boy quarterbacks in my book. I respect Aaron Rogers, but #99 deserved the MVP not Mr. Discount Double Check. 

JJ does everything: Knock down balls, take picks to the house, shed double teams, sack QBs, & catch touchdowns better than a lot of NFL TEs in this league.

Oh yeah, no real quarterback in Houston since the Texans drafted him in 2011. 

Bob-Levey-Getty-Images.jpg

no doubt! I completely agree with you but i think everyone was so sure Brady was going to be #1 that JJ Watt was surprising...

especially within our own division...

So when people say, "Luck throws so many interceptions...". you say, "try facing watt twice a year!"

That sounds good except for 1 thing bap1331: NE not the Texans keeps ending INDY's road to the Lombardi Promiseland. 

I agree though that JJ is a huge thorn in the side of any QB he faces so you are partially right.

So when people say, "Luck throws too many interceptions..." I'd say he has little help in the running game & doesn't get enough time to survey the field from the power pigs up front.

Watt is #1.  period.  No other single player makes the kind of Impact plays he does week in and week out.  You may say, "well, Rodgers is more important to his team", yes...but I can guarantee that there were more Highlight reel type plays from Watt last year than ANY other player in the NFL.  

Honestly...I'm kind of surprised Texans didn't grab up Vick to play QB next year.  He is better than the other QB's they have plus has dangerous legs.  If they had any type of air attack to go with their run game and that defense, Watt would have a chance at NFL MVP because they'd get to the playoff's.

Watt is #1. period. No other single player makes the kind of Impact plays he does week in and week out. You may say, "well, Rodgers is more important to his team", yes...but I can guarantee that there were more Highlight reel type plays from Watt last year than ANY other player in the NFL.

Honestly...I'm kind of surprised Texans didn't grab up Vick to play QB next year. He is better than the other QB's they have plus has dangerous legs. If they had any type of air attack to go with their run game and that defense, Watt would have a chance at NFL MVP because they'd get to the playoff's.

If there was a league wide draft, Watt wouldn't be in the top three players drafted. He is great, but not the most important player in the league

If there was a league wide draft, Watt wouldn't be in the top three players drafted. He is great, but not the most important player in the league

He's still the best in the league. Just because quarterback is a more coveted position doesn't deter that. i would still pick him third behind Luck and Rodgers.

This is actually a really interesting discussion to have.  Yes, I don't think Watt would go in the top 3 picks.  But I don't think that's because he isn't talented or disruptive.  I think that's because the way the game of football is built, with so much focus on the QB.  So do we fault Watt and say he isn't the #1 player in the league simply because of his position?

Vince Lombardi once said something to the effect of if football didn't have such an unequal amount of focus on the quarterback, it would be a perfect game.  So it's not like Watt hasn't done enough to be considered the best in the league.  Not being taken in the top 3 would be because of the structure of the game, not because of his performance.  So do you give #1 to a QB because there is so much focus on them?

This is actually a really interesting discussion to have. Yes, I don't think Watt would go in the top 3 picks. But I don't think that's because he isn't talented or disruptive. I think that's because the way the game of football is built, with so much focus on the QB. So do we fault Watt and say he isn't the #1 player in the league simply because of his position?

Vince Lombardi once said something to the effect of if football didn't have such an unequal amount of focus on the quarterback, it would be a perfect game. So it's not like Watt hasn't done enough to be considered the best in the league. Not being taken in the top 3 would be because of the structure of the game, not because of his performance. So do you give #1 to a QB because there is so much focus on them?

QBs have a major impact on the outcomes of games. Even the very best d lineman can't carry a team to victory

QBs have a major impact on the outcomes of games. Even the very best d lineman can't carry a team to victory

I agree.  But does that mean Watt isn't the best player?  You put Watt in Jacksonville and the Jags are still terrible.  You put Rodgers in Jacksonville and they're a playoff team.  But that doesn't take away from how good a player Watt is.

If you subtract 1 minute variable from the Packer's entire team, they lose...not just when that variable is the quarterback. Yes that was the case 1 year but it was the defense before, the OL before, and the ST in the Seahawks game (not just the onside's kick...the ST was on crack all game) and the result was the same as it was when it was the quarterback. That's 1 of the many reasons I think Rodgers doesn't belong in these discussions.

Now yes that gives Brady an edge if you forget the whole asterisk thing for a minute (not that I'll forget it...just don't want to turn this into that whole thing). While he hasn't won a ring without a balanced team, he's won a ton of big games over the years without 1.

If I were a Colt fan I wouldn't want Luck to change. When it's 3rd and 10 and you're behind you have to try to make things happen. The only way to not throw ints is to not throw the football.

Watt is just insane. If he has 1 more good year and they finish 8-8 or 9-7...it wouldn't be out of line for him to say he's picking the dang quarterback next year or leaving lol! He's done more for his team than somebody not under center since who...OJ? On defense I'd say Deion on a good day but he never kept it up for years in a row like Watt.

How do you quantify who is better when you are talking about players that play two different positions on opposite sides of the ball

Well I would say that jj would be a better qb than ar would be d-end all around athlete would have to go to jj

theres three or four players that are close to the same level of qb as AR but no one has the skill set that JJ has

Well I would say that jj would be a better qb than ar would be d-end all around athlete would have to go to jj

theres three or four players that are close to the same level of qb as AR but no one has the skill set that JJ has

Every DE in the league would be a better qb than any qb could be a DE. My point is watt is great, but can't really change the out comes of games very often. I would never pay any defensive player 20+ million a year

Watt is #1.  period.  No other single player makes the kind of Impact plays he does week in and week out.  You may say, "well, Rodgers is more important to his team", yes...but I can guarantee that there were more Highlight reel type plays from Watt last year than ANY other player in the NFL.  

Honestly...I'm kind of surprised Texans didn't grab up Vick to play QB next year.  He is better than the other QB's they have plus has dangerous legs.  If they had any type of air attack to go with their run game and that defense, Watt would have a chance at NFL MVP because they'd get to the playoff's.

Your first paragraph isn't true at all

Your first paragraph isn't true at all

I beg to differ.  I Agree QB is the most important position, and QB's re the most valuable players to the team.  I have no issue with Rodgers getting the MVP, he was the MVP, but Watt was the best player on the field over the 2014 year.  Being MVP does not make you the best player. 

As for the part of highlight reels, I will not argue that Rodgers had a ton of highlight reel plays, but Watt had so many that it would take an hour to go over them all. He has just a few of them in his #1 announcement vid.

So I will stand by my remarks I made.  And frankly, so say they are not true is saying that these statements are conceived as facts.  But to name off whom the best player is, or what consist's of a highlight reel play, is all eye of the beholder opinion's.

If you subtract 1 minute variable from the Packer's entire team, they lose...not just when that variable is the quarterback. Yes that was the case 1 year but it was the defense before, the OL before, and the ST in the Seahawks game (not just the onside's kick...the ST was on crack all game) and the result was the same as it was when it was the quarterback. That's 1 of the many reasons I think Rodgers doesn't belong in these discussions.

Now yes that gives Brady an edge if you forget the whole asterisk thing for a minute (not that I'll forget it...just don't want to turn this into that whole thing). While he hasn't won a ring without a balanced team, he's won a ton of big games over the years without 1.

If I were a Colt fan I wouldn't want Luck to change. When it's 3rd and 10 and you're behind you have to try to make things happen. The only way to not throw ints is to not throw the football.

Watt is just insane. If he has 1 more good year and they finish 8-8 or 9-7...it wouldn't be out of line for him to say he's picking the dang quarterback next year or leaving lol! He's done more for his team than somebody not under center since who...OJ? On defense I'd say Deion on a good day but he never kept it up for years in a row like Watt.

Stephen A Smith said after the NFCCG that he wished Rodgers had more of Brady's killer instinct in big games. And I agree about Luck. You take the good with the bad. He needs to cut down on the turnovers over all but not to the point that he becomes timid. It is a fine line but the great ones are able to do it and do it consistently.

Well Watt plays both sides of the ball sometimes AND scores touchdowns... I think if Brady and Rodgers wanna be as good as JJ... well then their just gonna have to start playing a few downs on the D-line... If they log some sacks next yeart then im sure their places on the 2016 list will be higher.

I beg to differ.  I Agree QB is the most important position, and QB's re the most valuable players to the team.  I have no issue with Rodgers getting the MVP, he was the MVP, but Watt was the best player on the field over the 2014 year.  Being MVP does not make you the best player. 

As for the part of highlight reels, I will not argue that Rodgers had a ton of highlight reel plays, but Watt had so many that it would take an hour to go over them all. He has just a few of them in his #1 announcement vid.

So I will stand by my remarks I made.  And frankly, so say they are not true is saying that these statements are conceived as facts.  But to name off whom the best player is, or what consist's of a highlight reel play, is all eye of the beholder opinion's.

I'm not disputing Watt's greatness, but Rodgers makes more "wow" throws than anyone since Marino. They might not make a highlight reel, but it sure is impressive.

90% of the time I'd agree with your stance on QBs Jvan, but in 2007 Justin Tuck, JPP, Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, & Antonio Pierce basically beat the Patriots on their own 17-14. 

90% of the time I'd agree with your stance on QBs Jvan, but in 2007 Justin Tuck, JPP, Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, & Antonio Pierce basically beat the Patriots on their own 17-14.

Except that is six guys some of whom are line backers. And Eli, David Tyree and Plaxico had a pretty good hand in it as well down the stretch

Except that is six guys some of whom are line backers. And Eli, David Tyree and Plaxico had a pretty good hand in it as well down the stretch

Yeah, Eli, Plaxico, & Tyree played their part but Justin Tuck, JPP, & Michael Strahan kept NE's high octane offense from scoring. Also, if we are being honest, NFL referee Mike Carey not blowing that hail mary throw to Tyree dead basically won that SB. I thought Eli was going to get sacked. 

Just to be clear, Carey made the right call. :thmup: