Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

upgrades?

OLD FAN MAN

Offensive line should be upgraded. It was terrible all season until the post season. The young guys should be better and bringing in a couple free agents That could possibly start with Heenan and Herremans doesn't hurt the offensive line in any way either!

Somewhat upgraded.

Saftey position is uprgaded somewhat now that Landry is gone. He made some plays but hurt the defense more than he helped. I think Lowery can Atleast be as good or better than him. Obviously lost Sergio but drafted Geathers which could be a good pick.

Somewhat upgraded

Front 7 help was very needed. Lost Redding. Langford got a decent amount of flak but I think it was a great signing. If Arthur Jones can stay healthy that will be an upgrade right there. With the picks of Anderson who a lot of people like and Parry I think it will help the front 7 right away. Mathis coming back even a little should help the front 7.

Decently and most upgraded.

Not sure we upgraded the Oline or Dline.  If Cherlius isn't 100% we just shifted a player over.  Lankford might do a fine job, but Redding has been a doing a lights out job on the Dline for the last 3 years. That's big shoes to fill.

Not sure we upgraded the Oline or Dline. If Cherlius isn't 100% we just shifted a player over. Lankford might do a fine job, but Redding has been a doing a lights out job on the Dline for the last 3 years. That's big shoes to fill.

Herrimans is better than any RG last year. Langford is better than Redding was last year.

Lowery is also better than Landry or Brown was last year.

Herrimans is better than any RG last year. Langford is better than Redding was last year.

Lowery is also better than Landry or Brown was last year.

Brown >>>> Lowery.

Brown was very good last year, and it's why he got a solid contract and starting gig in Jacksonville.

Brown >>>> Lowery.

Brown was very good last year, and it's why he got a solid contract and starting gig in Jacksonville.

I know you don't like Lowery, but an argument can be made for Lowery. I don't think there's an argument for OL and DL, but Lowery and Brown are close.

Brown >>>> Lowery.

I liked the contributions Sergio made over the years with the Colts.  I agree he had some fine moments last year and was deserving of new contract with better numbers.  My question with him..... How durable will he be as a starter?  I am not sold on his tackling ability or his overall toughness.  16 games will be a challenge for him to keep that starting job.  Even with Jacksonville.

Not sure we upgraded the Oline or Dline.  If Cherlius isn't 100% we just shifted a player over.  Lankford might do a fine job, but Redding has been a doing a lights out job on the Dline for the last 3 years. That's big shoes to fill.

It would be better if you would use larger letters in your comment. Way too small.

This may be our most improved off season that I can remember

I have too agree Johnson,Gore,Herrimans,Lowery,Cole,and Langford all will start. And my favorite Irving gives us some great depth at ILB. The addition of Carter with our other talented receivers gives the Colts the best wr corp in the league. Our draft looks solid also only time will tell.

No doubt we have improved everywhere. I think the most concern is being able too stop the run consistently.

I don't know if our DT position was upgraded as I'm concerned about our run D.

The LG and RT positions are questionable as we don't know about Cherilus and D. Thomas.  If they're good to go, our O-line will be pretty good.  If they aren't, it may only be a little better.  

RB looks better as does WR.

I think safety will be better as does pass rusher.  I like the Irving signing for ILB.  

I don't know if our DT position was upgraded as I'm concerned about our run D.

The LG and RT positions are questionable as we don't know about Cherilus and D. Thomas. If they're good to go, our O-line will be pretty good. If they aren't, it may only be a little better.

RB looks better as does WR.

I think safety will be better as does pass rusher. I like the Irving signing for ILB.

Parry is really growing in me, and let's hope Chapman can offer a bit more. But in terms of O line I'm assuming and hoping Mewhort stays at LG, our 7th pick Good is also listed as RT. Only position that scares me is Center

Parry is really growing in me, and let's hope Chapman can offer a bit more. But in terms of O line I'm assuming and hoping Mewhort stays at LG, our 7th pick Good is also listed as RT. Only position that scares me is Center

When Holmes retook the C position late last season our O-line played a lot better in terms of pass protection. I believe only allowing something like 1 sack over 4 games... 

What if the team improves (like everyone thinks it has, talent-wise), but the results are the same as last year?  11 - 5, lose the AFCCG? How could this happen? A SB-winning team is much more than a collection of very talented players.

Brown >>>> Lowery.

Sergio was a backup for us and only saw playing time because of the suspension of Landry.

From what I can tell Lowery has been a starter pretty much his whole career.

How is Parry growing on you? He hasn't shown anything yet.

Langford, Geathers, Anderson, Parry, Herremans, Irving, Lowery.

We've upgraded, even though we didn't go after any big names in free agency. I think we will be overall better..

Grigson signed a committee this off-season.. Just not huge names.

I think we'll be just fine along the D Line.  We've got a reall good mix of guys in there that can play multiple positions, so much to the point that we can even look at playing Art Jones at the Nose in some key situations without losing quality at the DE position. I think we're far more versatile this year than we were last year.  The upgrades definitely help because I believe we bought in more disciplined players which is key.  In my eyes most of the run game issues were due to bad execution, bad technique, and really bad tackling.   Plus we have more guys who can create pressure from the inside in the passing game, not to mention the different pass rushers we have available.  I'm pretty optimistic about the defense in 2015 as long as we don't get hit hard by injuries.

I can't wait until the start of the season because I believe those games against the Bills and Jets are going to speak some volume about where we are at with stopping the run.  Specifically the game against the Bills, Rex Ryan has been able to gash us in similar fashion as Bellichick in previous match ups.  If we hold up well in that game, then I feel really good about what we can do going forward.  Of course I do realize it's a long season though.

I think we'll be just fine along the D Line.  We've got a reall good mix of guys in there that can play multiple positions, so much to the point that we can even look at playing Art Jones at the Nose in some key situations without losing quality at the DE position. I think we're far more versatile this year than we were last year.  The upgrades definitely help because I believe we bought in more disciplined players which is key.  In my eyes most of the run game issues were due to bad execution, bad technique, and really bad tackling.   Plus we have more guys who can create pressure from the inside in the passing game, not to mention the different pass rushers we have available.  I'm pretty optimistic about the defense in 2015 as long as we don't get hit hard by injuries.

I can't wait until the start of the season because I believe those games against the Bills and Jets are going to speak some volume about where we are at with stopping the run.  Specifically the game against the Bills, Rex Ryan has been able to gash us in similar fashion as Bellichick in previous match ups.  If we hold up well in that game, then I feel really good about what we can do going forward.  Of course I do realize it's a long season though.

I completely agree.

I think we win a nail biter up in Buffalo (due to the fact that we have a huge advantage at QB) the progression of guys like Chapman, Hughes, Kerr and Newsome are going to be pivotal for us. Arthur Jones NEEDS to stay on the field. If Parry and Anderson can come in and play and show some sort of promise.. We will be just fine. Like you said, first things first and we need to stay healthy. Buffalo is going to be a good first test, but that's a game we need to win.

Time will tell but I think our most significant upgrade (Not the biggest name upgrade) was the Herremans signing, That wont be enough though, the rest of the O Line will have to step up in the run game. That's my biggest concern, If that happens everything else will begin to fall into place much better and then we can actually be competitive with the Pittsburghs and New Englands of the world. We upgraded at OLB particularly.

I think if we could get our O Line up to snuff in the run game then if you put Gore, Ballard, Herron or whoever back there then they will be successful, That's not to say Gore is not an upgrade because he has shown he can produce but I also believe we have other Backs that can produce as well as he has so that's no concern to me. We have to be able to convert more runs into 1st downs, We cannot continue to get 1st downs when we go against the big time teams just passing the ball

Sergio was a backup for us and only saw playing time because of the suspension of Landry.

From what I can tell Lowery has been a starter pretty much his whole career.

Irrelevant. Mike McGlynn has been a starter for 3 seasons in a row (4 or the last 5) and is the worst guard in the NFL. There are a bunch of bench player who have outperformed him. 

I'm hoping this is some sort of joke

Why would it be a joke? There's nothing objective that has Lowery as a better player than Brown. Even if we go with the whole "NFL GMs know best mantra", Brown just got a healthy sized contract to start in Jacksonville and Lowery got vet min trying to win a starting spot over a rookie. 

Why would it be a joke? There's nothing objective that has Lowery as a better player than Brown. Even if we go with the whole "NFL GMs know best mantra", Brown just got a healthy sized contract to start in Jacksonville and Lowery got vet min trying to win a starting spot over a rookie.

It doesn't mean " he's better"

But for our sake I hope your wrong.

I wouldn't say that we are good a center but I'd say at least adequate.  Holmes did ok, nothing stellar, but decent.

I like Mewhort at Guard but I think he could play RT if needed and would prefer him at that position over Good-but only because I know nothing about Good.  Ulrick John can be an option as well.  

I suppose contract is one of many ways to judge who is the better player. Personally, I don't think Brown is ~$1.4 million/year better than Lowery, so to me, it is better to go with Lowery. I do think you are overstating how well Brown played last year. He was serviceable, as is Lowery. It is a splitting hairs difference that when salary is factored in makes Lowery a more viable option. If the Colts had signed back Brown, he also would be competing with a rookie for a starting spot/snaps. 

Another factor is judging who is better is advanced metrics. Last year, Brown and LaRon were pretty much equal according to PFF. Lowery was considered a top 10 FA by PFF. Brown wasn't. In fact, Brown didn't even crack their top 75 FAs (Lowery was 32). Again, PFF isn't the end all be all but I don't think you can make a sweeping, definitive statement, that Brown is a much better player than Lowery. 

I  Last year, Brown and LaRon were pretty much equal according to PFF. 

This isn't true. Brown was the 24th ranked safety while playing half the amount of snaps of those above him. He only let up 89 yards into his coverage all season. Lowery let up well over 600. 

This isn't true. Brown was the 24th ranked safety while playing half the amount of snaps of those above him. He only let up 89 yards into his coverage all season. Lowery let up well over 600. 

Over the final 7 games of the season, Landry had a +4.2 grade; Brown had a +2.4 overall grade. Brown was better in coverage and Landry better in run. Brown was +5.3 overall, meaning he was actually worse down the stretch. 

Similarly, Lowery was better in run defense and had a lower overall PFF grade (+1.1) for the year (but as you point out neither Brown or Landry played as many snaps as Lowery). Is it good or bad that Brown was 24th while playing half the snaps of those above him. Would his ranking have improved or dropped if he played more snaps? 

At any rate, if Brown was so much better according to PFF, then why was Lowery a better FA prospect according to them?

Over the final 7 games of the season, Landry had a +4.2 grade; Brown had a +2.4 overall grade. Brown was better in coverage and Landry better in run. 

If only there were more games before then. 

Similarly, Lowery was better in run defense and had a lower overall PFF grade for the year (but as you point out neither Brown or Landry played as many snaps as Lowery). Is it good or bad that Brown was 24th while playing half the snaps of those above him. Would his ranking have improved or dropped if he played more snaps? 

Improved. I have no reason to believe that his play would drop off if he played more snaps. 

At any rate, if Brown was so much better according to PFF, then why was Lowery a better FA prospect according to them?

Sample size. 

If only there were more games before then. 

Improved. I have no reason to believe that his play would drop off if he played more snaps. 

Sample size. 

I edited a bit from what you quoted but nothing overly significant. 

What reason do you have to believe his play would not drop off? I'm just asking. If his overall grade was +5.3 but was +2.4 after the bye. The opponents weren't significantly better pre-bye compared to post-bye. So, either he was better when playing more snaps (pre-bye) than when splitting snaps (post-bye), or his play declined over the course of the season. I went down this same road in your Moncrief thread with Supe...

Am I understanding you correctly that sample size matters in ranking players (why Lowery was higher than Brown) but not in assessing the effectiveness of a player (Brown is better than Lowery regardless of sample size)?

To be clear, I'm not arguing that Lowery is better than Brown. I'm arguing that Brown is not ~$1.4 million better than Lowery. 

I edited a bit from what you quoted but nothing overly significant. 

What reason do you have to believe his play would not drop off? I'm just asking. If his overall grade was +5.3 but was +2.4 after the bye. The opponents weren't significantly better pre-bye compared to post-bye. So, either he was better when playing more snaps (pre-bye) than when splitting snaps (post-bye), or his play declined over the course of the season. I went down this same road in your Moncrief thread with Supe...

He graded out +2.4 pre-bye and +2.4 post bye. While playing basically the same amount of snaps in each half (253 vs 228; so if anything, he improved over the course of the season). That's why I have no reason to believe his play would drop off. There's no evidence to support so. 

Am I understanding you correctly that sample size matters in ranking players (why Lowery was higher than Brown) but not in assessing the effectiveness of a player (Brown is better than Lowery regardless of sample size)?

Does it matter to me? Not even remotely. Might matter to other people.

He graded out +2.4 pre-bye and +2.4 post bye. While playing basically the same amount of snaps in each half (253 vs 228; so if anything, he improved over the course of the season). That's why I have no reason to believe his play would drop off. There's no evidence to support so. 

Does it matter to me? Not even remotely. Might matter to other people.

Fair enough. We can move on. 

Yes, TBD, & Yes

People sleeping on Langford cause he's not a "big name" but he about to do work this season

Langford wasn't a bad player in St. Louis until last season then he was replaced with a rookie. St.Louis has had a very good defensive front 7 the last couple of years, my only question is he has played in a 4-3 defense his whole NFL career (Miami and St.Louis) I believe, so how well will he play switching to a 3-4 defense?