Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTA Notes 5-27-15

TKnight24

Love the OTA notes, TKnight, keep em coming! Is Donte Moncrief not out there or just not making any noteworthy plays? Assuming TY and Andre are running first team, does this mean that Moncrief is running with the 3rd team (#5 and #6 WRs)?

lmao. Looking for more ammunition for the Dorsett vs. Moncrief threads, huh?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the OTA notes, TKnight, keep em coming! Is Donte Moncrief not out there or just not making any noteworthy plays? Assuming TY and Andre are running first team, does this mean that Moncrief is running with the 3rd team (#5 and #6 WRs)?

Nothing on Moncrief. So there's that

So either he's doing his job or he's not. But usually if we don't hear about you, you're doing good

No news on AJ Johnson either so don't think there's a reason to panic

Plenty of guys weren't mentioned. I believe this was the first time the media was able to cover a practice so no surprise people got left out

I'm really excited to see Swoope get some actual PT in preseason this year. Hopefully he gets more than the, roughly, 7 snaps he got late in 4th quarters last year.

I think the biggest question mark for Swoope is can he catch a ball while taking a hit or with a man right in his hip pocket. If he can do that he could be a real keeper.

I think the staff is looking at Swoope (and Sifrin) to possibly fill Fleener's role next year. This guy is an athletic freak and extremely smart. I'm a TE guy, I love TEs (in life and in football), and I have a good feeling about this guy.

Swoope said he picked up a basketball for the first time in a year a couple weeks ago. Could barely make a shot. #footballplayernow

— Steve Andress (@ColtsReporter)

May 27, 2015

Pagano on Bjoern Werner: “The biggest thing for him, I think, is just stay healthy."

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

May 27, 2015

Geesh high hopes for Werner lol 

lmao. Looking for more ammunition for the Dorsett vs. Moncrief threads, huh?

If you have to ask, this thread is ammunition enough.. haha As far as I am concerned, that debate is over. It has devolved into a "Team Donte" vs "Team Phillip" Twilight-esque crapfest.

Was more curious whether Moncrief has been participating in OTA or if hes sitting out for one reason or another.

CBear: For the most part, whenever the media (colts writers/reporters) are able to watch the OTA or practice I'll be posting long as I'm not in one of my apple juice comas

CLegacy: No problem

TK....you're alright for a pats* fan!!!!!

Just messin, thanks for the updates from "the Twitter"

If you have to ask, this thread is ammunition enough.. haha As far as I am concerned, that debate is over. It has devolved into a "Team Donte" vs "Team Phillip" Twilight-esque crapfest.

Was more curious whether Moncrief has been participating in OTA or if hes sitting out for one reason or another.

No, it's really not.

Go Moncrief!!! I hate the fact that his development will be slowed down now ( the colts are forced to play Dorsett now, since he's a 1st round pick).. hopefully he proves he's far more capable holding down that 3rd receiver spot! nothing against Dorsett but I rather see Moncrief get more snaps than him. With experience and a extra offseason to work on his awareness of nfl defenses, route running, and hands, I believe he was bound to breakout this year and at least have something around 60 catches 800 yards and 5-8 td's  (pretty good for the 3rd WR).. Also GO CARTER!!!   :number1:

I would assume Swoope has a decent shot. Jack Doyle is no Gronkowski although he's a good player. If Swoope can't beat him out there is another year on the PS I would think.

If Swoop appears to be a talent , maybe a little tough to try to slip on the practice squad. 

If Swoop appears to be a talent , maybe a little tough to try to slip on the practice squad. 

Going to be interesting to see what happens.  I want to see what he looks like when he's asked to block.

It's early, but it appears he may already offer more than Doyle in the passing game.  If his blocking is on par

or better than Doyle, then I would think it would be difficult to keep Doyle around.  We'll see I guess....

Going to be interesting to see what happens.  I want to see what he looks like when he's asked to block.

It's early, but it appears he may already offer more than Doyle in the passing game.  If his blocking is on par

or better than Doyle, then I would think it would be difficult to keep Doyle around.  We'll see I guess....

We could always keep 4 TE's too. We have a few position players that could end up saving us a roster spot on a returner. Plus Maybe we just go with 5 WR's.

We could always keep 4 TE's too. We have a few position players that could end up saving us a roster spot on a returner. Plus Maybe we just go with 5 WR's.

I think 5 is a definite number for the WRs if Duron Carter keeps trending in the right direction, possibly 6 if they decide for some reason they need to hang on to Griff Whalen or Vincent Brown.  We could keep 4 TEs, but you may want to look at keeping 4 RBs if Vick Ballard stays healthy and produces at a high level in the pre-season maybe.  I'm unsure if we could keep 4 TEs and 4 RBs on the active roster, especially if we decide to go with 6 WRs.

From a roster mechanics standpoint we may also have to monitor the surplus we have at the OLB position as well.  If Zach Hodges is coming along the way Newsome put it out there, then extra room may have to made for him as well.  It may not be wise to risk the PS on him. I could be wrong, but something to consider I think.

Like Grigson said we are going to have some hard choices to make.

I think 5 is a definite number for the WRs if Duron Carter keeps trending in the right direction, possibly 6 if they decide for some reason they need to hang on to Griff Whalen or Vincent Brown. We could keep 4 TEs, but you may want to look at keeping 4 RBs if Vick Ballard stays healthy and produces at a high level in the pre-season maybe. I'm unsure if we could keep 4 TEs and 4 RBs on the active roster, especially if we decide to go with 6 WRs.

From a roster mechanics standpoint we may also have to monitor the surplus we have at the OLB position as well. If Zach Hodges is coming along the way Newsome put it out there, then extra room may have to made for him as well. It may not be wise to risk the PS on him. I could be wrong, but something to consider I think.

Like Grigson said we are going to have some hard choices to make.

I could see us cutting Walden if all goes well with Cole, Newsome, Mathis and Hodges. I dont expect to see Werner cut, even if Walden is outplaying him.

Look for position players to be the kick returners. It will keep an extra roster spot open. I see 5 WRs; 4RBs; 4TEs, with  Duron Carter, Josh Robinson and Erik Swoope making the cut. 

A player like Hodges likely headed to PS if he stays healthy. There is just too much competition at the LB position right now. And Walden should make the team. 

Its going to be a war to make the last slots on the D-line, especially when you consider the rookie D-linemen from Stanford have an excellent chance to make the final 53. 

Players like Montori Hughes are on the bubble. 

Look for position players to be the kick returners. It will keep an extra roster spot open. I see 5 WRs; 4RBs; 4TEs, with Duron Carter, Josh Robinson and Erik Swoope making the cut.

A player like Hodges likely headed to PS if he stays healthy. There is just too much competition at the LB position right now. And Walden should make the team.

Its going to be a war to make the last slots on the D-line, especially when you consider the rookie D-linemen from Stanford have an excellent chance to make the final 53.

Players like Montori Hughes are on the bubble.

I don't know if we have enough spots for 13 skill players.

Go Moncrief!!! I hate the fact that his development will be slowed down now ( the colts are forced to play Dorsett now, since he's a 1st round pick).. hopefully he proves he's far more capable holding down that 3rd receiver spot! nothing against Dorsett but I rather see Moncrief get more snaps than him. With experience and a extra offseason to work on his awareness of nfl defenses, route running, and hands, I believe he was bound to breakout this year and at least have something around 60 catches 800 yards and 5-8 td's (pretty good for the 3rd WR).. Also GO CARTER!!! :number1:

yeah I hope his development isn't slowed either cause of Dorsett I'm a fan of bigger WRs so I'm really pulling for Carter and Moncrief one small speedster in TY was fine

I could see us cutting Walden if all goes well with Cole, Newsome, Mathis and Hodges. I dont expect to see Werner cut, even if Walden is outplaying him.

Walden had 6 sacks last year so that's something you have to take a strong look at.  I'm guessing maybe Werner even though he's younger.I think the bigger reason would be he can't stay healthy.  Production wise even though people dog him a lot he was still more productive than just about every OLB that was drafted in his class.  I really don't know what they will do to be honest.

Walden had 6 sacks last year so that's something you have to take a strong look at.  I'm guessing maybe Werner even though he's younger.I think the bigger reason would be he can't stay healthy.  Production wise even though people dog him a lot he was still more productive than just about every OLB that was drafted in his class.  I really don't know what they will do to be honest.

I think Walden is a good player. Not great, but solid, and more effective than Werner. I just don't see the coaches giving up on Werner before the regular season starts.

If Cole, Newsome, Mathis, and Hodges are our top 4 OLBS, than I could see Walden's salary making him the odd man out. If I am not mistaken, Werner's salary is guaranteed for two more seasons, which could be a reason to keep him around over Walden, especially if neither one of them are expected to see the field much.

I think Walden is a good player. Not great, but solid, and more effective than Werner. I just don't see the coaches giving up on Werner before the regular season starts.

If Cole, Newsome, Mathis, and Hodges are our top 4 OLBS, than I could see Walden's salary making him the odd man out. If I am not mistaken, Werner's salary is guaranteed for two more seasons, which could be a reason to keep him around over Walden, especially if neither one of them are expected to see the field much.

And a bone head move like that is why this coaching staff gets questioned.

Regardless of salary, you cut the weak link. Werner is the least productive of our OLB. Cut him, accept he didn't live up to the draft pick and move on. I'm not expecting Mathis till the :flyingelvis: (ironically cause that's Brady's return too) so I'd rather have Walden filling in than Werner

Waldon has two more years left on his contract , neither is guaranteed. If he were cut , the dead money cap hit would only be 500K . The represents 50% of the $1,000,000 signing bonus he received.

Regardless of salary, you cut the weak link. Werner is the least productive of our OLB. Cut him, accept he didn't live up to the draft pick and move on. I'm not expecting Mathis till the :flyingelvis: (ironically cause that's Brady's return too) so I'd rather have Walden filling in than Werner

Great move cut a player who you spent a 1st round pick on going into the 3rd year of his rookie contract after only 1 season worth of starts........Do you know how dumb that sounds? I don't think its quite the Jerry Hughes type dumb move because Werner don't have quite the raw physical talent that Hughes has....But it still a dumb move

Great move cut a player who you spent a 1st round pick on going into the 3rd year of his rookie contract after only 1 season worth of starts........Do you know how dumb that sounds? I don't think its quite the Jerry Hughes type dumb move because Werner don't have quite the raw physical talent that Hughes has....But it still a dumb move

It's a business out here. You either produce or be replaced. It's dumber to cut a solid contributor in Walden just cause you have "hope the 1st rounder is gonna work out

Both Walden & Werner are replaceable sure, but Walden is the better of the two imo

Not saying it was a wise move, just pointing out that Werners salary is guaranteed while we are now in the non-guaranteed portion of Waldens salary. I know there were a lot of Colts fans saying we overpaid Walden with a contract that pays $4m a year.(4 year, $16m with first two guaranteed)

If Walden proves to be our 5th best OLB in camp/OTAs/preseason than he isn't worth 4m in compensation. Werner can play the 5th OLB role for a fraction of the price, and maybe he finally makes good on his "potential".

Sometimes moving on from a young, ineffective player too early can be a bad call too. I'd rather have Jerry Hughes back than either Walden or Werner, and just about everyone was giving up on Hughes when we traded him to the Bills.

If we cut Werner now, theres a chance he becomes the next Jerry Hughes, a very productive pass rusher that represents a missed opportunity for our franchise.

I think Walden has been in the league long enough now, we know what he is and what we have in him. Hes either gonna be worth 4m or hes not. If hes not, I see him cut, regardless of Werners development. If Mathis is ready for wk 1, we'll have an odd man out. Just speculating that may be Walden.

It's a business out here. You either produce or be replaced. It's dumber to cut a solid contributor in Walden just cause you have "hope the 1st rounder is gonna work out

Both Walden & Werner are replaceable sure, but Walden is the better of the two imo

Its taken Walden 55 starts to get 16 sacks....Its only taken Werner the equivalent of 1 season worth of starts(16 games) to get 6 sacks and that's with missing 3 games his rookie year, Players take time to develop and that's usually more then 16 starts

Waldon has two more years left on his contract , neither is guaranteed. If he were cut , the dead money cap hit would only be 500K . The represents 50% of the $1,000,000 signing bonus he received.

Not sure if you misread that. Walden's salary in non-guaranteed. Werner's salary is guaranteed on his rookie deal.

Not sure if you misread that. Walden's salary in non-guaranteed. Werner's salary is guaranteed on his rookie deal.

I was just going to post that I did misread. I read quickly and assumed you were referring to Waldon and not Werner.

No big deal but for the record only the top part of the first round normally get fully guaranteed contracts. In Werner's case his 3rd year base in guaranteed but not his 4th .