Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL/Patriots Deflategate compromise UPDATE: Pats will not appeal

NewColtsFan

“‘I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it,'” Simms said Rodgers told them before the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/aaron-rodgers-likes-his-footballs-overinflated/

And the refs let the air out to legal limits and they played with them like that.

Or you can do what the Patriots do. The refs check the balls, then go in the bathroom and let air out, and sneak them back in and play with outside the legal limit. :)

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point. But in an earlier comment you mentioned fairness and how the Patriots was not being treated in a fair manor compared to other teams infractions. Please answer this question. If fairness is an issue with you where was the fairness in what the Patriots did to other teams? If you want fair treatment shouldn't you use fairness?

I do believe that the punishment was excessive. I've never backed from that claim. If I wasn't clear when I mentioned 'being treated fair' compared to other teams infractions then I apologize, let me try to explain what I meant. 

I'm confused by who gets to decide how severe an infraction is when compared to others. In a case like using PED's for example, there is a clear policy and the punishments therefor are consistent based on the action. Other infractions are treated differently, and much like what Yehoodi was alluding to, when looking at the precedent that was set in other situations, I don't understand why in some cases a team is simply warned or fined and in other cases, well...we see other punishments. Where is the consistency with how the NFL views infractions that compromise the integrity of the game. That's their big buzzword, they drop it at every opportunity they can, but who decided that pumping in crowd noise for a few years effects the fairness, i.e. the integrity of the game itself, less than playing with a slightly deflated football? The way people responded to hearing that the Falcons were pumping in illegal crowd noise was exponentially less negative than when news broke immediately after the AFCCG that the Patriots may have deflated footballs. I'm talking even before there were any denials and before details were even known. I feel like the way that misinformation leaked initially definitely influenced how this situation was perceived and from day one that put the Patriots on the defensive right from the beginning.

I mention other team's infractions and the penalties that were instituted as a result because I'm curious of the process by which the seriousness of an infraction is determined by the league. I think that pumping in crowd noise is much more serious than playing with a deflated ball...I think that circumventing the salary cap is incredibly more serious than playing with a deflated ball...and those instances were quite literally just dealt with by giving them a light slap on the butt. That's what I mean when I whine about fairness...I'm talking about the process from the beginning, the severity of the action, and the punishment that comes from it. 

I do believe that the punishment was excessive. I've never backed from that claim. If I wasn't clear when I mentioned 'being treated fair' compared to other teams infractions then I apologize, let me try to explain what I meant.

I'm confused by who gets to decide how severe an infraction is when compared to others. In a case like using PED's for example, there is a clear policy and the punishments therefor are consistent based on the action. Other infractions are treated differently, and much like what Yehoodi was alluding to, when looking at the precedent that was set in other situations, I don't understand why in some cases a team is simply warned or fined and in other cases, well...we see other punishments. Where is the consistency with how the NFL views infractions that compromise the integrity of the game. That's their big buzzword, they drop it at every opportunity they can, but who decided that pumping in crowd noise for a few years effects the fairness, i.e. the integrity of the game itself, less than playing with a slightly deflated football? The way people responded to hearing that the Falcons were pumping in illegal crowd noise was exponentially less negative than when news broke immediately after the AFCCG that the Patriots may have deflated footballs. I'm talking even before there were any denials and before details were even known. I feel like the way that misinformation leaked initially definitely influenced how this situation was perceived and from day one that put the Patriots on the defensive right from the beginning.

I mention other team's infractions and the penalties that were instituted as a result because I'm curious of the process by which the seriousness of an infraction is determined by the league. I think that pumping in crowd noise is much more serious than playing with a deflated ball...I think that circumventing the salary cap is incredibly more serious than playing with a deflated ball...and those instances were quite literally just dealt with by giving them a light slap on the butt. That's what I mean when I whine about fairness...I'm talking about the process from the beginning, the severity of the action, and the punishment that comes from it.

Two time offenders get a harsher penalty in all walks of life

Recipe for DeFlateGate Pie :

1 cup - McNally Dark Corn Syrup

3 Brady large eggs

1cup - Gillette Sugar

2 tablespoons of melted Jastremski butter

1 teaspoon vanilla Kraft extract

1 1/2 cups of Patriot crushed nuts

1 unbaked Needles 9 inch deep dish pie crust

Stir in the first 5 ingredients thoroughly using a Wells spoon

Pour into deflated pie crust

Bake on center Goodell rack for 60-70 minutes at 350 degrees

Let cool for 2 hours on Vincent shelf before a Patriot fan

Do not bring pie out into appeals before refrigerating

Enjoy courting your pie before all judges, jurors, and advocates to insure palates are won over

This is a freaking laugher! Pats fans have to go to other teams boards to convince other fans of how unfair their team is being treated. 

If we just say, "You are right....the rest of the world will forget the cheating and it is only THIS board that will never forgive"...will you go away?

If you agree, I'll throw in an extra "acknowledgement" of your awesome team. Just pay separate shipping and handling. 

But it's "more probable than not" that they were. I think that's the funniest thing about Colts fans...you guys all completely dismiss the likelihood that they were doing this, as I suspect MOST dome teams do. The mud will land on your team eventually, no matter what team you root for.

You can keep throwing false accusations and grasping at straws. It's quite laughable. The reason why people dismiss it is because the league investigated the Colts and found no wrongdoing, unlike what happened with the Patriots.

Actually, many other past scandals are very much like this one in terms of how it affects the integrity of the game, and I'd be happy to list some as long as Crazycolt doesn't swoop in and say I am mentioning other teams infractions as a way to justify what the Patriots did.

Remember how the Broncos won two Superbowls in the 90s? Well it turns out they circumvented the salary cap which helped them keep players that they normally wouldnt be able to. That just happened to happen the exact years that they won their Superbowls. Could you imagine the outrage if that happened now?

Remember a few years ago when the Chargers were caught using a towel on footballs that had a stick-em like substance on it. Talk about manipulating the football to gain an unfair advantage. 

Even just this year the Falcons were found to be pumping in crowd noise,...and it's well documented how crowd noise can effect a game.

Who gets to judge the severity of these infractions...you? Deflating a football is unlike any scandal the NFL has seen before? Please. If a team pulled the same thing with the salary cap that the Broncos did now, in this age of social media and the 24 hour news cycle, it would be twice the scandal that deflategate has become. Plenty of teams have done things over the years, but it was a different time then, and the masses weren't hammered over the head with it as things are now and that's the only reason that people look at these Patriots infractions as some huge unprecedented scandal.

You do realize the Broncos were punished for that violation right? Not to mention, what you are claiming happened is false: http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/5/9/8577091/the-truth-behind-the-denver-broncos-salary-cap-scandal. Don't try and compare apples and oranges please.

You do realize that the Chargers were exonerated of any wrongdoing right?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/chargers-ultimately-prevailed-in-appeal-of-towel-fine/

The Falcons were caught and punished? Not seeing the point here. You'd have a point if the Falcons got off the hook but they didn't. If you were trying to make a case here, you aren't doing a very good job.

Actually, I'm not the one who decides that. The Patriots sealed their own fate when they cheated not once but twice. The NFL levied a punishment that I am fine with. YOU and a lot of other Patriots fans are the ones that have a problem with it. But go ahead and keep deflecting.

Neuralizer1.jpg

Members of Pats team and staff cheated. Fans are foaming at the mouth from doing damage control at all the other teams boards. All they need is a standard issue neuralizer to cover their tracks and keep their inward view of untaintedness intact. 

"person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what the Patriots are capable of getting away with ...tomorrow".

Well then Aaron Rodgers cheated too. Where's that outrage?

We aren't talking about committing a crime...jesus...put it into the sports context that it actually is. Players in every sport try to get every advantage they can...its always been that way and always will be. The over reaction to this is just crazy.

And he's cheating too. Cheating is considered a punishable crime in a sports context. The example still applies, his intent was dishonest.

You can keep throwing false accusations and grasping at straws. It's quite laughable. The reason why people dismiss it is because the league investigated the Colts and found no wrongdoing, unlike what happened with the Patriots.

You do realize the Broncos were punished for that violation right? Not to mention, what you are claiming happened is false: http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/5/9/8577091/the-truth-behind-the-denver-broncos-salary-cap-scandal. Don't try and compare apples and oranges please.

You do realize that the Chargers were exonerated of any wrongdoing right?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/chargers-ultimately-prevailed-in-appeal-of-towel-fine/

The Falcons were caught and punished? Not seeing the point here. You'd have a point if the Falcons got off the hook but they didn't. If you were trying to make a case here, you aren't doing a very good job.

Actually, I'm not the one who decides that. The Patriots sealed their own fate when they cheated not once but twice. The NFL levied a punishment that I am fine with. YOU and a lot of other Patriots fans are the ones that have a problem with it. But go ahead and keep deflecting.

1. Yes, the Broncos were punished...because they broke the rules. The Patriots were punished...because they broke the rules. You asked me to list other scandals...that's what I did. I know you were trying to show how the two aren't comparable, but here's my favorite part of the article you posted:

So were the Broncos cheaters? No. Did they break league rules regarding player payment? Yes, members of the organization did, unbeknownst to Pat Bowlen and Mike Shanahan. And then those employees got canned. Connecting Spygate to the Broncos cap issues is as ridiculous as it comes.

Hmmm...people in the organization knew but the Owner and Head Coach did not? Yeah, not comparable to this situation at all! Oh but its ok, the employees that did know got fired, so no biggie!!!

2. Yes, the Chargers appealed and won. Tom Brady is appealing, and we don't know the result yet. Again, I'm talking about strength of punishment. Regardless of whether in the end the Chargers won their appeal, we still know what the punishment would have been for the offense and it was weak. 

3. Yes, the Falcons too were punished, but their punishment was very benign for an offense that I consider very seriously affecting the integrity of the game. 

Clearly you missed my point...I was talking about the punishments in relation to the severity of the actions and trying to compare them to the Patriots' situation as a way to show that in actuality, the NFL is all over the place when dealing with 'the integrity of the game'.

I was responding to this post below...where the poster made the case that doing what he did is still cheating.

No he did not take the balls into the bathroom, but he DID admit to trying to over inflate footballs in hopes that the ref's would miss it and pass them through. So where is the consistency of how the NFL views compromising the integrity of the game?

One football is easier to grip than the other. But your still right. The difference is your teams history and the fact that your team got a complaint filed against them. I don't think anyone is going to complain about over inflated balls. The world is so unfair to NE. You guys play the victim card better than anyone.

And he's cheating too. Cheating is considered a punishable crime in a sports context. The example still applies, his intent was dishonest.

So there it is.

When talking about the integrity of the game, it seems that the NFL is not consistent with their feelings towards those who compromise it. Maybe now you understand a little bit just what has been so troubling in all this for Patriots fans. 

One football is easier to grip than the other. But your still right. The difference is your teams history and the fact that your team got a complaint filed against them. I don't think anyone is going to complain about over inflated balls. The world is so unfair to NE. You guys play the victim card better than anyone.

Whoops aaaaaand we're back. So the exact same act of cheating is different because in one case there was a complaint and in the other there wasn't? See this is where you lose me. Again, if it's truly about the integrity of the game, then the NFL should be consistent in terms of how they approach it. If it's truly about the integrity of the game, the NFL should try and prevent the violation, not try to catch it.

So there it is.

When talking about the integrity of the game, it seems that the NFL is not consistent with their feelings towards those who compromise it. Maybe now you understand a little bit just what has been so troubling in all this for Patriots fans. 

Moral of the story:  Don't cheat, then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

1. Yes, the Broncos were punished...because they broke the rules. The Patriots were punished...because they broke the rules. You asked me to list other scandals...that's what I did. I know you were trying to show how the two aren't comparable, but here's my favorite part of the article you posted:

So were the Broncos cheaters? No. Did they break league rules regarding player payment? Yes, members of the organization did, unbeknownst to Pat Bowlen and Mike Shanahan. And then those employees got canned. Connecting Spygate to the Broncos cap issues is as ridiculous as it comes.

Hmmm...people in the organization knew but the Owner and Head Coach did not? Yeah, not comparable to this situation at all! Oh but its ok, the employees that did know got fired, so no biggie!!!

2. Yes, the Chargers appealed and won. Tom Brady is appealing, and we don't know the result yet. Again, I'm talking about strength of punishment. Regardless of whether in the end the Chargers won their appeal, we still know what the punishment would have been for the offense and it was weak. 

3. Yes, the Falcons too were punished, but their punishment was very benign for an offense that I consider very seriously affecting the integrity of the game. 

Clearly you missed my point...I was talking about the punishments in relation to the severity of the actions and trying to compare them to the Patriots' situation as a way to show that in actuality, the NFL is all over the place when dealing with 'the integrity of the game'.

You are trying equate an accounting problem with something that directly happened on the field. Again, the Broncos were punished for this violation so I don't see your point in bringing it up. I asked you to list scandals that were comparable to this and this is not.

The Chargers didn't just appeal, they were cleared of any wrongdoing. Even if Brady has his suspension reduced, it doesn't make him any less guilty. It was "more probable than not" that he did this. His suspension being reduced to 2 or 1 game(s) doesn't change that. The fact that the Patriots organization ALSO got reprimanded and decided not to fight it shows they were indeed guilty as well. After all, if they are innocent, why not fight it? The way Patriots fans talk on here, they believe they could get Goodell axed and have the Patriots run the league themselves LOLOL.

There we go: "that I consider very seriously affecting the integrity of the game.". For someone asking me if I get to judge the severity of these actions, you seem to be doing a whole lot of judging yourself.

In your eyes, the NFL may be "all over the place" but in reality, they are doing their best to fit the punishment with the infraction committed. If you have a problem with that, that's on you. Don't expect infractions to all be punished equally when they are not all equal in nature.

Actually, many other past scandals are very much like this one in terms of how it affects the integrity of the game, and I'd be happy to list some as long as Crazycolt doesn't swoop in and say I am mentioning other teams infractions as a way to justify what the Patriots did.

Remember how the Broncos won two Superbowls in the 90s? Well it turns out they circumvented the salary cap which helped them keep players that they normally wouldnt be able to. That just happened to happen the exact years that they won their Superbowls. Could you imagine the outrage if that happened now?

Remember a few years ago when the Chargers were caught using a towel on footballs that had a stick-em like substance on it. Talk about manipulating the football to gain an unfair advantage. 

Even just this year the Falcons were found to be pumping in crowd noise,...and it's well documented how crowd noise can effect a game.

Who gets to judge the severity of these infractions...you? Deflating a football is unlike any scandal the NFL has seen before? Please. If a team pulled the same thing with the salary cap that the Broncos did now, in this age of social media and the 24 hour news cycle, it would be twice the scandal that deflategate has become. Plenty of teams have done things over the years, but it was a different time then, and the masses weren't hammered over the head with it as things are now and that's the only reason that people look at these Patriots infractions as some huge unprecedented scandal.

The Broncos didn't circumvent the salary cap. What they did had no impact on their salary cap. As a matter of fact, the primary issue with them was non-disclosure, as it's legal to defer payments to players, but needs to be disclosed. Agreeing not to cut a player before paying him a future roster bonus is probably an illegal promise, but it's implied in every contract that includes a future roster bonus (no player signs a contract anticipating that they're going to be cut). And they were fined $2m and lost a third round draft pick. I'm not sure how this supports your point that the Patriots are being treated unfairly.

Speaking of circumventing the cap, the last teams to actually do that were docked actual cap space, which severely affected both teams (probably more than losing a first round draft pick will hurt the Patriots). It's not like they got off easy, so I don't understand how this supports your point, either.

The Chargers were exonerated.

The Falcons admitted to wrongdoing, fully cooperated with the league's investigation, and accepted their penalties without starting a website designed to debunk the league's findings. Again, not sure how this supports your point, and I definitely disagree with the idea that fake crowd noise is a more serious offense than non-compliant game equipment.

You're acting like the Patriots are the only team that has been penalized harshly by the league for serious rules violations. They aren't.

Actions detrimental to the league.  1st infraction- Kraft-$250.000, Belichick-$500.000. loss of one draft pick.  2nd infraction- Kraft-$1,000.000, Brady-4 game suspension, loss of two draft picks. The 2nd fine and suspension was more severe because it was the 2nd infraction and the refusal to cooperate with investigation. It may not seem fair to a Patriot fan but fairness has zero to do with it. Do you honestly think the fine and suspension was not OKed by the other owners? Yes Goodell has sole responsibility for the issue of fines and suspensions but you can best believe he converses and gets approval from majority owners before making any moves. Goodell is hired and can be fired by majority ownership and is the paid face for them. He is a well paid yes man who really does nothing on his own. The owners are in control and do not want to face the media or the public so that is Goodell job. Think about it. Kraft dropped this after the owners meetings.

Brett Favre - refuses to turn over phone to NFL in investigation of his 'sexting' scandal...penalty = $50K

Tom Brady - refuse to turn over phone to Wells...penalty: 4 game suspension

The inconsistency and hypocrisy of this league is astonishing. This penalty would be the equivalent to the NBA suspending Michael Jordan for a quarter of a season because of some minor rules infraction.

Favre- criminal court, Brady-NFL court and teams 2nd offense.

Borges isn't well liked around here and often anti patriot. Still I can believe this to be so.

Borges isn't well liked around here and often anti patriot. Still I can believe this to be so.

Ah, I don't know Boston media that well. Anyone pushing that idea might have zero credibility. I don't know. I just saw the story on Reddit and shared it.

Whoops aaaaaand we're back. So the exact same act of cheating is different because in one case there was a complaint and in the other there wasn't? See this is where you lose me. Again, if it's truly about the integrity of the game, then the NFL should be consistent in terms of how they approach it. If it's truly about the integrity of the game, the NFL should try and prevent the violation, not try to catch it.

And now we've somehow made it back to the oh, so compelling argument that the Patriots need to be babysat just so they don't cheat.  It absolutely has to be about integrity of the game when what your suggesting is that the NFL should have to hold the Patriots hands every step of the way just so that the Patriots don't do things like break the rules and conceal it.  It couldn't be about anything else because we're not talking about the league ensuring that the balls remain at the same pressure from the time they test them to the time they make it to the field.  We're talking about the NFL being required to keep tabs on the Patriots just so they can keep their professionalism in tact, which by the way is something that should be accomplished with self-policing.  Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking, and it seems that you are suggesting the Patriots need someone to be their integrity police...it's honestly baffling that you are making this a point of contention.  

Recipe for DeFlateGate Pie :

1 cup - McNally Dark Corn Syrup

3 Brady large eggs

1cup - Gillette Sugar

2 tablespoons of melted Jastremski butter

1 teaspoon vanilla Kraft extract

1 1/2 cups of Patriot crushed nuts

1 unbaked Needles 9 inch deep dish pie crust

Stir in the first 5 ingredients thoroughly using a Wells spoon

Pour into deflated pie crust

Bake on center Goodell rack for 60-70 minutes at 350 degrees

Let cool for 2 hours on Vincent shelf before a Patriot fan

Do not bring pie out into appeals before refrigerating

Enjoy courting your pie before all judges, jurors, and advocates to insure palates are won over

haha- good one

And now we've somehow made it back to the oh, so compelling argument that the Patriots need to be babysat just so they don't cheat.  It absolutely has to be about integrity of the game when what your suggesting is that the NFL should have to hold the Patriots hands every step of the way just so that the Patriots don't do things like break the rules and conceal it.  It couldn't be about anything else because we're not talking about the league ensuring that the balls remain at the same pressure from the time they test them to the time they make it to the field.  We're talking about the NFL being required to keep tabs on the Patriots just so they can keep their professionalism in tact, which by the way is something that should be accomplished with self-policing.  Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking, and it seems that you are suggesting the Patriots need someone to be their integrity police...it's honestly baffling that you are making this a point of contention.  

Quoted for truth.

I'm sure it feels good to think this given your team's struggles against the Patriots...but you are simply not correct about it. Belichick will be a first ballot hall of famer. Brady will be a first ballot hall of famer, and 20 years from now, the NFL network will be running tribute videos of the "Great Patriots Dynasty" just like they run them now for their past great champions. Sure - a few angry shut-ins may still be shaking their fist at the tv and incoherently screaming "Bu-bu- SPYGATE!! DEFLATEGATE!!!!!"....but that's the extent of it.

Who has struggled against the Patriots? We knocked you out 2 out of 4 times on your home field, and no one knows if the other two are tainted !

Girlzarefanstoo, on 20 May 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:snapback.png

I agree with 99% of your post, except the "You can't STING and HONEST, INNOCENT person" line.  John DeLorean was a friend of mine and he was the victim of a sting based on mob-like threats against his family.  And he was approached first to do the transaction, he wasn't seeking to do it.  You can sting an honest person, but this wasn't a sting in any way shape or form.  

Sorry, but regardless of the merit of your statement it is so completely inapplicable to this topic it almost seems like a trolling of the point.   You're talking corruption and unless you feel the NFL or organized crime forced Brady to deflate the ball, then it simply isn't comparable.  If someone DID do that, it would be a much much bigger story and would likely end his career more than just the cheating did.  But no organized crime was inferred here.  As for Delorean, if what you say is true, then he wasn't stung, he was unlawfully blackmailed, which is entirely different.  

You may not know me, but those who do here will vouch for me.

So I have two points... well three actually 

1.  I never troll :-)

2.  I absolutely don't lie - I only relate what John shared with me many times over the 10 years or so I knew him before his passing.  

3.  I was only pointing out an extreme example that I had personal knowledge of, that made your statement not 100%.  Innocent people do get caught up in stings.  HOWEVER it's a moot point as the NFL didn't run a sting operation.  

Just out of curiosity why isn't Borges well liked? Is it because he sees and tells it like it is or because he is not a home town homer? From an outsider looking in there are quite a few media hounds in the New England area who think there couldn't possibly anything negative about the Patriots. They jump the gun as to defend the Patriots way before anything can be proved or deemed false. Some of the articles I have read are so slanted and bias they become a joke in an outsiders mind. There is no need to go into details as we all know what I mean.

To tell you the truth, crazycolt1, I actually made two pecan pies today. I was in the process of reading the recipe and it just hit me to switch the product names around for the DeFlateGate names for a light-hearted post.

Now you will have me craving me some pecan pie, lol- It's nice to have a laugh with all this nonsense going on for sure.

This is the same league that investigated the Ray Rice situation and determined that nobody in the NFL had ever seen the elevator video prior to TMZ releasing it, right? Just checking.

This is the same league that investigated the Ray Rice situation and determined that nobody in the NFL had ever seen the elevator video prior to TMZ releasing it, right? Just checking.

I'm amazed at the level of deflection going on here. You just might be giving amfootball a run for her money.

if you have a problem with the league, please write them a letter and voice your concerns. I'm sure you'll be one of many other Patriots fans complaining.

Boo hoo, deflection.  Boo hoo...other people are worse.  Boo hoo...they hate us cuz tehy aint us.  Boo hoo...Tom's the best!

Honestly, it's pathetic.

To tell you the truth, crazycolt1, I actually made two pecan pies today. I was in the process of reading the recipe and it just hit me to switch the product names around for the DeFlateGate names for a light-hearted post.

I've been craving a pecan pie lately...is that recipe above accurate (minus of course, the patriot references)?