Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Last Night Prove We Dont Need To Rebuild?

oldunclemark

What we may have proven the last 2 weeks is that we are still the best team in our division....

Without Manning, Brackett, Clark and Bullitt.

..we topped the other 2 top teams...in our division

They have injuries too..but nothing of the caliber of players we're missing.

Clearly there is no need to rebuild YET...

...so return with the same cast plus a couple of high drafts in 2012

..and make another playoff run..

Its not just winning about the division, its about building a team that can make plays in the playoffs. we need to rebuild. imo rebuilding is doing what u said. using the draft picks to get great players now (that will still be on the team in the future) and also agressively attacking free agency. maybe dont resign wayne but grab blackmon. that frees up money for free agency. Draft a qb project like foles or moore. we can rebuild and win at the same time as long as we have Mr. 4-time MVP.

Its not just winning about the division, its about building a team that can make plays in the playoffs. we need to rebuild. imo rebuilding is doing what u said. using the draft picks to get great players now (that will still be on the team in the future) and also agressively attacking free agency. maybe dont resign wayne but grab blackmon. that frees up money for free agency. Draft a qb project like foles or moore. we can rebuild and win at the same time as long as we have Mr. 4-time MVP.

Supreme...

I agre 100% on Kellen Moore...He's a perfect fit behind Manning....and he KNOWS he wont play right away/

But he's a sawed-off Drew Brees.....folks are missng out on him...

But have a team that can make plays in the playoffs...

We still have the 2009 squad.......

Remember..50% of the starters are the same as 2009..

I think the rebuild can hold off for 2 or 3 years while we go for the title...

As long as we can win 10-12 games a year....we are 2 games away from the Super Bowl...

Resign Reggie...and Saturday and Mathis ....draft a couple of 'shovel-ready' projects and lets not quit on this group...

Dont blow up 13 good years because of 13 bad weeks..

Supreme...

I agre 100% on Kellen Moore...He's a perfect fit behind Manning....and he KNOWS he wont play right away/

But he's a sawed-off Drew Brees.....folks are missng out on him...

But have a team that can make plays in the playoffs...

We still have the 2009 squad.......

Remember..50% of the starters are the same as 2009..

I think the rebuild can hold off for 2 or 3 years while we go for the title...

As long as we can win 10-12 games a year....we are 2 games away from the Super Bowl...

Resign Reggie...and Saturday and Mathis ....draft a couple of 'shovel-ready' projects and lets not quit on this group...

Dont blow up 13 good years because of 13 bad weeks..

i think we mostly agree. i want to draft blackmon. let wayne go. imo that is rebuilding while also not hurting our chance to win, maybe even improve it. by year 2, i think blackmon would be better than wayne at age 34 and his timing with manning would he better.

I think that we are in some kind of weird place between being a good team and a team that is rebuilding. No doubt we need to get some new talent in to prepare for the future, but I feel like the guys we have now are still great for the most part. Next year we have to do a good job of capitalizing on the talent we have, as well as building for down the road.

i think we mostly agree. i want to draft blackmon. let wayne go. imo that is rebuilding while also not hurting our chance to win, maybe even improve it. by year 2, i think blackmon would be better than wayne at age 34 and his timing with manning would he better.

Yeah..we don t have any issues...

From what I can see..Blackmon is a stronger, younger faster version of Wayne...

..and we can get him and Kellen Moore later...and maybe fill our DB needs in the second round

We cant sign Reggie for 2 of 3 years...He's a great guy but..no

Remember how Marvin Harrison looked in the final days???

I could be getting fooled but our secondary suddenly looks adequate..

Yeah..we don t have any issues...

From what I can see..Blackmon is a stronger, younger faster version of Wayne...

..and we can get him and Kellen Moore later...and maybe fill our DB needs in the second round

We cant sign Reggie for 2 of 3 years...He's a great guy but..no

Remember how Marvin Harrison looked in the final days???

I could be getting fooled but our secondary suddenly looks adequate..

we are almost on the exact same wavelength about all of this....

i think im seeing them as adequate too...still i want cb help by the third round because i dont trust lacey against brady, brees, or ben. want a player too that can cover well against gronkowski and miller. maybe that is a safety or anoher cb. just want a football player that can fill that role.

we are almost on the exact same wavelength about all of this....

i think im seeing them as adequate too...still i want cb help by the third round because i dont trust lacey against brady, brees, or ben. want a player too that can cover well against gronkowski and miller. maybe that is a safety or anoher cb. just want a football player that can fill that role.

I'd also like to see us get into the 6-foo7 basketball 'power forward' tight end business...

Everybody loves Dallas Clark...but he's missed most of 2 seasons now...

....We could use a big tall pass catcher for goal line situtations

I think that we are in some kind of weird place between being a good team and a team that is rebuilding. No doubt we need to get some new talent in to prepare for the future, but I feel like the guys we have now are still great for the most part. Next year we have to do a good job of capitalizing on the talent we have, as well as building for down the road.

I am with you the Colts are at a crossroads of rebuilding and still having a quality team. But with a trade back...all those extra draft picks would infuse talent into the roster right away, and allow the Colts to resign Mathis and Wayne. So in the draft the Colts would need, a NT, CB, SS, Weakside LB, G... that is five pieces that is three rounds of picks if trading with a team for their first and second round picks and what if its Cleveland who has multiple first round picks, in just one offseason there is youthful talent infused all over the roster! Just by choosing not to take Luck! And you can still get a QB this year later on or next year with the ammo to trade up next year if need be!

I'd also like to see us get into the 6-foo7 basketball 'power forward' tight end business...

Everybody loves Dallas Clark...but he's missed most of 2 seasons now...

....We could use a big tall pass catcher for goal line situtations

Exactly. a tight end like gronkowski or grahm would make our o almost unstoppable. the nfl has not yet figured out a way to stop those type of guys. clark has been very good for us but he is getting up there. if the te could also block well our running game would be much improved. a wr, og (or ot moved over), qb, dt, cb, and te should all be addressed in the draft or in free agency.

The year of our Super Bowl win, we re-added 1 player on defense (Morris) and had Dungy straightnen out their fundamentals and our defense played extremely good. Already, we see the difference since Coyer was let go and how our defense responded to our linebacker's coach. I think secondary is the main issue. We need a player who can routinely get interceptions, force fumbles, knock down passes, etc. We get almost zero turnovers on defense. That would greatly help us.

Exactly. a tight end like gronkowski or grahm would make our o almost unstoppable. the nfl has not yet figured out a way to stop those type of guys. clark has been very good for us but he is getting up there. if the te could also block well our running game would be much improved. a wr, og (or ot moved over), qb, dt, cb, and te should all be addressed in the draft or in free agency.

Dwayne Allen. Or to save draft picks, Coby Fleener in the 3rd or 4th

We just need to fill a few holes in the defense. A big DT to sit opposite Nevis, and a shut down corner. Jerrod is a good CB. Lacey, I'm not going to lie I didn't like him and wanted him off the field early in the season. He has woken up after the benching though. He would be a good number three. Possibly a SS. Melvin does produce for us, but injured two season now. Maybe he will turn around need season. We go to be safe though.

We just need to fill a few holes in the defense. A big DT to sit opposite Nevis, and a shut down corner. Jerrod is a good CB. Lacey, I'm not going to lie I didn't like him and wanted him off the field early in the season. He has woken up after the benching though. He would be a good number three. Possibly a SS. Melvin does produce for us, but injured two season now. Maybe he will turn around need season. We go to be safe though.

I doubt Lacey will be a SS. hes a bit small at 5 10' 177 pounds. To make matters worse for Bullitt, it's the same shoulder twice in a row

I doubt Lacey will be a SS. hes a bit small at 5 10' 177 pounds. To make matters worse for Bullitt, it's the same shoulder twice in a row

Bullitt can stay a Colts, only if he is used as a special team player and SS back-up..that would make sense to me, and would be quality, as Bullitt plays solid on special teams, he is not a starter, lets not pretend like he is much more than that! I take Bobby Bob back and his injury prone self before I start Bullitt...

Bullitt can stay a Colts, only if he is used as a special team player and SS back-up..that would make sense to me, and would be quality, as Bullitt plays solid on special teams, he is not a starter, lets not pretend like he is much more than that! I take Bobby Bob back and his injury prone self before I start Bullitt...

Just to be clear here. I think Bullit sucks. I was just replying to Fx Stryker about bullit. I wouldnt mind if he gets cut

Just to be clear here. I think Bullit sucks. I was just replying to Fx Stryker about bullit. I wouldnt mind if he gets cut

No I didnt imply that about you, I was just building off of what you said abotu Bullitt..my bad. But glad we are both on the same page, I think his $3 million cap hit is a little so so for me.. thats a large amount for a back-up, but if he excelled on special teams I could live with it... I guess it depends what it would free up releasing him this year.

Hello..Andre../Let me introduce you to Peyton Manning....

(But I see your point,. Jaric...We beat a crippled up bunch of Texans)

And that's to our credit. We've certainly had our own injury issues.

As to the original question, I guess that depends on what you mean by rebuild? If that's to cut everyone and start over, I don't think that was a good idea before we won two games. There are some good players here. But there is some dead weight as well. Winning two (possibly 3) games doesn't change that.

We need to shake out the dead weight. Inject some talent at key positions. And for the love of all that's holy we need to send Ryan Diem and Linkenbacher packing as soon as humanly possible

If you want to call that rebuilding, then we need to rebuild.

we did good against the run, let some plays go, but that was good blocking too. Still dont know about the pass defense, these guys may be more comfortable next year and play better coverage

although they if they can stop arian and chris, then they are doing something right, and with better scoring offense then back to old days.

we did good against the run, let some plays go, but that was good blocking too. Still dont know about the pass defense, these guys may be more comfortable next year and play better coverage

although they if they can stop arian and chris, then they are doing something right, and with better scoring offense then back to old days.

171 yards rushing...5.5 yards/carry

I guess I have a different definition of the phrase "good against the run"

Let's face it, the defense won the last one. A nice drive at the end (with help from penalties), but not much else. And two big runs by brown helped seal the one prior. Offensive stats weren't great in either.

What I liked is that the team never seemed to quit. This says alot imo.

Any coincidence the Defense seemed to get a spark when Coyer was let go? They seemed faster, more comfortable. I haven't really looked closely at any changes. Anyone else?

Call me naive, but all along I've thought we still need to address the areas we've known all along this season. Some were addressed in the draft and FA. More to come in this draft.

If Manning's back this year, I think we can squeak 2 or 3 yrs more from our core.

If Manning is done and we do take Luck, maybe we "slightly" rebuild.

But a total overhaul?

I agree. Clark has unique abilities but he's different.

I liked the move NE made to grab Gronk and Hernandez. Two flexible good TEs. Those two are paying off.

TEs of top level are hard to find. Think about it for a minute. There aren't many. maybe less than top QBs.

What we may have proven the last 2 weeks is that we are still the best team in our division....

Without Manning, Brackett, Clark and Bullitt.

..we topped the other 2 top teams...in our division

They have injuries too..but nothing of the caliber of players we're missing.

Clearly there is no need to rebuild YET...

...so return with the same cast plus a couple of high drafts in 2012

..and make another playoff run..

I suppose that is one perspective among many.