Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Last Night Prove We Dont Need To Rebuild?

oldunclemark

What we may have proven the last 2 weeks is that we are still the best team in our division....

Without Manning, Brackett, Clark and Bullitt.

..we topped the other 2 top teams...in our division

They have injuries too..but nothing of the caliber of players we're missing.

Clearly there is no need to rebuild YET...

...so return with the same cast plus a couple of high drafts in 2012

..and make another playoff run..

They were missing their starting QB, starting WR and starting DE/LB (all 3 probowlers) Not sure who else they were missing but seemed like I recall a few other important peices missing. They had a very solid team, we sucked as soon as Manning went out. We need more pieces than this draft will provide us and the FA parts may come in the way of Wayne or Mathis.

Yeah..we don t have any issues...

From what I can see..Blackmon is a stronger, younger faster version of Wayne...

..and we can get him and Kellen Moore later...and maybe fill our DB needs in the second round

We cant sign Reggie for 2 of 3 years...He's a great guy but..no

Remember how Marvin Harrison looked in the final days???

I could be getting fooled but our secondary suddenly looks adequate..

Wayne has said he will take a 2 year contract but it is the price he will seek that concerns me alot. He has always been about precise routes and his strong hands. Blackmon may be a faster better version of Wayne or TO but he is not going to come in and produce at Wayne's level this year and maybe not 100% for the following season. It takes WR's at least 1 year to produce solid results generally and this system has so many reads into each play, no way he picks that up in the first year, no way. So his results don't pay off this year. I agree he may be a great choice in a full rebuild though.

ol got exposed, we need at least 1 G

I like the refresh of the center over to the entire RT side as well. I do like what I seen from Ijalana and quite honestly, Ojinaka provided a nice presence, can he be a gaurd? Is anyone on the IR list (Jamie Thomas) going to provide any help next season? I take at least 1 Gaurd/OT in the first round or the second round pick.

I am with you the Colts are at a crossroads of rebuilding and still having a quality team. But with a trade back...all those extra draft picks would infuse talent into the roster right away, and allow the Colts to resign Mathis and Wayne. So in the draft the Colts would need, a NT, CB, SS, Weakside LB, G... that is five pieces that is three rounds of picks if trading with a team for their first and second round picks and what if its Cleveland who has multiple first round picks, in just one offseason there is youthful talent infused all over the roster! Just by choosing not to take Luck! And you can still get a QB this year later on or next year with the ammo to trade up next year if need be!

I want to trade down, and I too was looking right at Cleveland. Take their 1st and their 2nd this year as well as their 1st rounders next 2 years. Those should be top 10-15 1st round picks next year at worst. You can get that CB or WR in the first and the OT/G + SS/QB in the 2nd. That can solve a lot of ills this next season right away.

No reason not to sign Mathias..(Freeney is under contract)

the problem arises is Reggie wants a 3-year deal...

...Just cant do that

Depends on how much Mathis thinks he is worth and RW has said he will take a 2 year deal but he also has to come at a good value for the Colts to re-sign him. To resign Mathis, he will need to not want to break the bank, he is not worth 10 mil/yr to any team but he may feel he is. Also, Freeney will have to rework his contract to make it happen IMO.

What we may have proven the last 2 weeks is that we are still the best team in our division....

Yea no Andre and they're on their third string rookie QB and still going to the dance. Not to mention a slew of other injuries throughout the year, including their stud RB and many others.

We need to rebuild, though we have many good parts in place and much to be excited about. Just get this dang season over and wait til the dust settles and we'll see what we have.

Supreme...

I agre 100% on Kellen Moore...He's a perfect fit behind Manning....and he KNOWS he wont play right away/

But he's a sawed-off Drew Brees.....folks are missng out on him...

But have a team that can make plays in the playoffs...

We still have the 2009 squad.......

Remember..50% of the starters are the same as 2009..

I think the rebuild can hold off for 2 or 3 years while we go for the title...

As long as we can win 10-12 games a year....we are 2 games away from the Super Bowl...

Resign Reggie...and Saturday and Mathis ....draft a couple of 'shovel-ready' projects and lets not quit on this group...

Dont blow up 13 good years because of 13 bad weeks..

There is a voi of talent at many positions. The players that have given the Colts their identity over the last decade are old for football players, many of whom are up for contract renewals. There is a lack of playmakers on both sides of the ball.

This is very clearly the time to start the re-building process.

"I want to trade down, and I too was looking right at Cleveland. Take their 1st and their 2nd this year as well as their 1st rounders next 2 years. Those should be top 10-15 1st round picks next year at worst. You can get that CB or WR in the first and the OT/G + SS/QB in the 2nd. That can solve a lot of ills this next season right away."

I don't understant how Polian doesn't see this as a possibility whatsoever!

Somehow , you found a way to ignore the 0-13 start

2-13.......

worse season ever.....

bottom of the league in almost every category....

SB ready?????

Hi guys, I'm a Panthers fan with a question for you.

Let's say the Colts wind up with the second overall pick. Would you accept this trade?

Panthers: 2012 1st (10-15th overall), 2013 1st, and 2014 1st

Colts: 2012 1st (second overall)

Sounds pretty good. Idk if the front office will take it if the panthers actually give them that offer though

Sounds pretty good. Idk if the front office will take it if the panthers actually give them that offer though

Thanks for the response. Here in Carolina, we are looking to build a historical offense. Matt Kalil would be an icing on the cake for our o-line.

Good luck next year, I believe Peyton will be back to 100%.

I think that we are in some kind of weird place between being a good team and a team that is rebuilding. No doubt we need to get some new talent in to prepare for the future, but I feel like the guys we have now are still great for the most part. Next year we have to do a good job of capitalizing on the talent we have, as well as building for down the road.

Rebuilding is not the right term. Maybe reloading or transitioning is better. We need to continue the offensive push to concentrate more on the running game. That will make the eventual departure of Manning much easier for the next QB. I say put a couple of more draft picks into O-line upgrades, a CB, Obviously, the decisions Polian makes on our potential free agents will have a great impact on our draft goals.

Hi guys, I'm a Panthers fan with a question for you.

Let's say the Colts wind up with the second overall pick. Would you accept this trade?

Panthers: 2012 1st (10-15th overall), 2013 1st, and 2014 1st

Colts: 2012 1st (second overall)

I would have to say no as I would rather make a trade with a team who is in worse shape. The Panthers already have a great up and coming QB (who exceeded everything I thought he may be) and if you add in another solid piece, it means the #1's traded to us become in the bottom half of the draft. I would rather do that deal with Washington or Cleveland and maybe Tampa Bay or Jax who isn't quite up there yet.If you take the Jax deal, you have to be prepared that it will either propel them with a great pick or further cause them to decline because the pick failed and now you have their high draft picks for the coming 2 seasons after. Going to be an exciting offseason and draft for the first time in how many years.

I'd also like to see us get into the 6-foo7 basketball 'power forward' tight end business...

Everybody loves Dallas Clark...but he's missed most of 2 seasons now...

....We could use a big tall pass catcher for goal line situtations

i agree we need taller receivers for the goal line, and we need to keep building on our power run game for goal line spots

We beat two bad teams. Still lost our first 13 games. We need help

Everybody needs help..

Do we need to move all 30-somethijngs and rebuid...

That's the question I say 'no'

Ride with Manning Freesney, Saturady and Wayne the next 2 years.

I believe we are basically the same teams that was 16-3 in 2009...

Agreed?

I don't think we need a complete rebuilding but in some areas we need work like the defensive tackle position and maybe more depth at DB

No doubt ..and we have two high draft choices...No. 1 or 2 overall and No. 33 or 34 overall.

But 'rebuild' to me means.....release Wayne, Saturday, Mathias, Clark, Brackett and start from scratch..

..and to that..I say: NO. Definetly not yet...

veteran teams win titles..not young ones...

LOL the Texans had a rookie QB and he didnt have their #1 receiver! The Colts team needs a lot of tweaking if its going to compete for another SB anytime soon!

Come on Hawkeye..

the Colts didnt have 4 starters including the No.1 QB in this century///

That case is closed..

Give me those 4 starters and two top draft choices..resign Reggie Wayne and this is a playoff team..

I believe those who want to release Reggie, Mathis and likes (Clark, etc.) and call this a "non-rebuild", are don't really know what they are talking about. If you let 3-4 all-pros go in one year it is a rebuild. You can't replace all of them in one year with similar talent. It takes takes 2-3 years, provided, none of your 1st round pick will be a bust. So either we will keep most of these guys, or we will indeed rebuild our team. (I hope not.)

Gonzo is done and there is a question mark how Collie will be able to regain his pre-conclusion form. So we have only two good WR-s, Reggie and Garcon - Garcon also doing kick/punt returns -, and one with question mark, meaning that we need to draft a new WR even if Reggie stays. If we let Reggie go, we need to get a second WR, and I doubt we can draft 2 WR's in one year who make immediate impact. As good as Reggie looks now, I'm sure he has at least 2 good years in him, so i'd make every reasonable effort to keep him. We have to keep Mathis as well - if we can. There's no good replacement on the map, and we need elite pass rush to support our secondary - even if we draft some decent CB/SS-s, because CB-s and SS-s usually need a year or too to learn the NFL.

So if we don't want to rebuild, then we need to release all our all-pros one by one, drafting replacements a year before. We have already drafted Bracket's replacement, so we can release him this year. We can draft Reggie's replacement in 2012 (who will take Gonzo's place on the roster), next year probably Addai's, then Clark's, and then Manning's, etc. It's still a tough job to do, becase we also need improvement in the secondary and both in OL/DL.

I believe those who want to release Reggie, Mathis and likes (Clark, etc.) and call this a "non-rebuild", are don't really know what they are talking about. If you let 3-4 all-pros go in one year it is a rebuild. You can't replace all of them in one year with similar talent. It takes takes 2-3 years, provided, none of your 1st round pick will be a bust. So either we will keep most of these guys, or we will indeed rebuild our team. (I hope not.)

Gonzo is done and there is a question mark how Collie will be able to regain his pre-conclusion form. So we have only two good WR-s, Reggie and Garcon - Garcon also doing kick/punt returns -, and one with question mark, meaning that we need to draft a new WR even if Reggie stays. If we let Reggie go, we need to get a second WR, and I doubt we can draft 2 WR's in one year who make immediate impact. As good as Reggie looks now, I'm sure he has at least 2 good years in him, so i'd make every reasonable effort to keep him. We have to keep Mathis as well - if we can. There's no good replacement on the map, and we need elite pass rush to support our secondary - even if we draft some decent CB/SS-s, because CB-s and SS-s usually need a year or too to learn the NFL.

So if we don't want to rebuild, then we need to release all our all-pros one by one, drafting replacements a year before. We have already drafted Bracket's replacement, so we can release him this year. We can draft Reggie's replacement in 2012 (who will take Gonzo's place on the roster), next year probably Addai's, then Clark's, and then Manning's, etc. It's still a tough job to do, becase we also need improvement in the secondary and both in OL/DL.

The path you have laid out is reasonable..and it still gives us a hold on our division,...

Why does anyone think Houston at full strength is clearly better than Indy at full strength.

We've split the last 2 years...

Manning has been out all year...Shocker at this point right? What about "The Polians"? What makes them good at drafting talent? 2-13 w/o 1 player (Manning). Is Manning that good (Yes) or has Manning's greatness covered up "The Polians" bad decisions? We need to play a good half of football @ Jacksonville, then sit everyone. 2-14 will allow COLTS fans to really get a good judge of the General Management of the COLTS organization.

We've done pretty good with Harrison, Wayne, Collie, White, Clark, Stokely etc. It's the talent of the QB, and the timing / routes / hands of the receiver, not their height!

That is true, but a physical beast that could take the top off the defense would've been nice too.

Yes we need to rebuild... With or without Manning, we need to make it so that if he does miss time we have a better system in place that would allow QB2 to have some success.

I think we need to reconstruct.

D has to develop a lot, and O-line couldn't guard QB properly. On Texans game Dan O could always count on a hit from left (or right?) side. We also need new play schemes, we should spice up our drives with some rush game (however there are signs of rushing), and there should be new schemes for pass games, and we also need more tricks (like play action, play action fake, etc.)

And we need a complete ST, or a better coach for specials.

2012: New offensive coach, new head coach (?), too many players now over 30, Manning to come back to a team re-building at key positions (if they choose to do so). If they go to re-build, how does that impact a setting with Manning and Luck if they draft him? Many questions for their immediate future. I am going to miss a bunch of the regulars we take for granted.

ol got exposed, we need at least 1 G

I agree with your assessment. We can get another couple of years out of Diem at G, but we still need a top shelf guy there eventually. We still need Ijalana to pan out at RT too. Linkenbach is a good back up only. Don't forget that Saturday is within a few years of hanging it up. Pollack must not be the answer or he'd be playing somewhere on the line already. Ideas for replacements have to go in the NFL Draft thread.

Its not just winning about the division, its about building a team that can make plays in the playoffs. we need to rebuild. imo rebuilding is doing what u said. using the draft picks to get great players now (that will still be on the team in the future) and also agressively attacking free agency. maybe dont resign wayne but grab blackmon. that frees up money for free agency. Draft a qb project like foles or moore. we can rebuild and win at the same time as long as we have Mr. 4-time MVP.

Release Reggie Wayne, COME ON MAN, are you serious. Reggie is one of the best offensive players we have. You dont get rid of your old work horse because he has some miles on him, you let that horse plow that field as long as he can, and Reggie can still plow that field. Now dont get me wrong im with you on the whole rebuilding the team, but some pices you just have to keep.

Release Reggie Wayne, COME ON MAN, are you serious. Reggie is one of the best offensive players we have. You dont get rid of your old work horse because he has some miles on him, you let that horse plow that field as long as he can, and Reggie can still plow that field. Now dont get me wrong im with you on the whole rebuilding the team, but some pices you just have to keep.

You hear people say all the time nfl is a business and us as fans don't understand that at times cause we fall in love with certain players. Wayne has been a great WR for us forever. I love the guy but he's getting older and he's going to want to be paid. Do the dilemma then is do we let him go get a younger WR who we can pay less and get the same production out of. I agree we should let Wayne go and get some young talent. I would hate to see him go but i think it's best for the team.I would also let Dwight go and keep Mathis.