Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MJD Says Mariota Could End Up Like Gabbert

I like the analysis of the inner struggle Gabbert went through making the conversion.  Although I think Mariota is a pretty smart kid.

I don't see him being like Gabbert, but there will be some transition definitely.

His view seems incredibly biased and hypocritical. He compares Mariota to Gabbert but them admits no one questions Mariota's work ethic like they did with Gabbert and then says he thinks Winston off-field struggles will be a plus for him. smh ...

Covering all the bases.

Plus, some people understand that their opinion isn't fact, knows they don't know everything about the situation, and would rather express their opinion of the possibilities, instead of drawing a line.

Covering all the bases.

Plus, some people understand that their opinion isn't fact, knows they don't know everything about the situation, and would rather express their opinion of the possibilities, instead of drawing a line.

Sure, I get that but at least be fair to both guys. Don't compare Mariota to Gabbert and then in the next sentence say Winston's off-field issues are a positive thing for him.

Players have lots of opinions.

But most players don't have very INFORMED opinions.

Seriously, what would MJD honestly know about Marcus Mariota that almost everyone here doesn't know?

I'd say very little.....

Less, I'd venture.

The bigger issue here is the very first quote "Some first-rounders will end up in horrible situations,".........Scouts and GM's push for guys and draft guys that often times have no chance to make it in there system and to make matters worse many of those players are drafted early so much is expected from them from basically day 1

Players have lots of opinions.

But most players don't have very INFORMED opinions.

Seriously,   what would MJD honestly know about Marcus Mariota that almost everyone here doesn't know?

I'd say very little.....

Yeah, I read the title of the thread and the thought that immediately lept to mind is "who cares what MJD thinks?"  I would give merit to

The bigger issue here is the very first quote "Some first-rounders will end up in horrible situations,".........Scouts and GM's push for guys and draft guys that often times have no chance to make it in there system and to make matters worse many of those players are drafted early so much is expected from them from basically day 1

Glad you posted this....

And MJD makes a fair and I think very valid point.    But it's a broad and generic comment.

I don't see anything that explains specifically why Mariotta won't make it.    The same could be said about any player drafted.

If the Browns pick up Mariota I wonder if they will let him run the spread as that will make two spread QBs on their roster with Manzell. They should definitely tweek things a bit to make the transition smoother.

Glad you posted this....

And MJD makes a fair and I think very valid point.    But it's a broad and generic comment.

I don't see anything that explains specifically why Mariotta won't make it.    The same could be said about any player drafted.

Likely because he will be drafted very very early....Maybe even top 10...Maybe not but I doubt he goes late 1st round. Physically speaking I think he is a 1st round talent....Mentally I think all of us know he has a long way to go....I personally think he should NOT go in the first round..Given the system he came from I think he should be a 2nd OR even 3rd round prospect(Much much less pressure on him then) and I also think the minute he sees defenders flying around him he will flip out...That's why so many QB's drafted day 1 don't work out....They see these defenses flying around them and by them and crack...Not because they don't have the physical talent but because mentally they freak out and panic and it leads to bad plays...Drafting this kid in the first round don't do him or the team that drafts him any favors when that team can draft a player who stands a much better shot of starting from day 1...Now if the team that drafts him in the 1st round is willing to exploit his strengths and work with what he does do well then the kid has a shot....But if he is thrown into the fire and expected to run the coaches system from day 1 and none of his strengths are exploited then shame on the coach because Mariota has little chance I think of running an NFL offense from day 1

I think it has more to do with system fit.  There's more of this style of qb coming into the league and the OCs need to tweak things a bit to adapt the style while adding in the tradtional stuff.  These types of QB are going to keep coming in