Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 6.0 (with trade)

Probably my 2nd to last one.Ā 

Ā 

Round 1 - Landon Collins, SS, Alabama.Ā This is under the assumption that Collins plays more of a SS/nickel-lb role in the defense. Collins is an elite run stopper with tremendous tackling ability. I think he'll get picked on in coverage, but I don't think he'll ever be Dwight Lowery bad. He's a tone-setter who can dominate near the LOS and help in run defense.

Ā 

TRADE

Ā 

Colts trade pick #61, #128 and a 2016 3rd to the Vikings for pick #45.Ā 

Ā 

Round 2 - Stephone Anthony, LB, Clemson.Ā More athleticism added to one of the worst linebacking corps in the NFL. Anthony is a work in progress, but he's a very well-rounded player with top-notch athleticism. He immediately improves our coverage in the center of the field. Anthony is the only quality LB left in the draft at this point, unless you're a Paul Dawson zealot. I know I didn't grade him that well, but I think I'm focusing too much on the Georgia game where half of their defense was suspended.

Ā 

Round 3 -Ā Lorenzo Mauldin, EDGE, Louisville.Ā Maudlin is a technician Ā who plays the run incredibly well. He doesn't win with speed or strength. Instead he uses his disgusting swim move and ability to shed blocks to close in on ball-carriers. He could push Walden for the starting spot in year 2.Ā 

Ā 

Round 5 - Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi State.Ā Robinson isn't a good athlete, but he;s a good runningback nonetheless. Robinson had the 2nd highest elusive rating among draftable player (2nd to only Gurley) and was near the tops in yards after contact. As for pass catching, he was 10th in yards per route run. Robinson is basically MJD-lite.Ā 

Ā 

Round 6 - Terry Williams, NT, ECU. Still one of the best NTs in the draft.Ā 

Ā 

Round 6 - Marcus Rush, EDGE, MSU.Ā 

Ā 

Round 7 -Ā Ā Tyler Moore, G/OT, Florida.

Ā 

Round 7 -Ā Jean Sifrin, TE, UMass.

Trade away picks and we choose Collins with the 1st; "yuck" ... I would be one of the first to grab a pitchfork and join the anti-Grigson lynch mob.

against the consensus top rated safety? i'm not the biggest fan of Collins but rioting for going BPA literally at a position of need is a bad thing?Ā 

but collins is good

Ā 

Ā 

against the consensus top rated safety? i'm not the biggest fan of Collins but rioting for going BPA literally at a position of need is a bad thing?Ā 

Ā 

I hate Collins, I think he was way overrated; and even if I did not believe he was overrated for SS I still wouldn't like him as a match for what I think we want to do with safety positions.Ā 

I hate Collins, I think he was way overrated; and even if I did not believe he was overrated for SS I still wouldn't like him as a match for what I think we want to do with safety positions.Ā 

Ā 

why do you think he is overrated?Ā 

Ā 

Agree with Dustin, he'll go somewhere in the 20s most likely whether he reaches us or not, that's hardly "overrated". I think he'll be a big help to our secondary if we get him. Not my favorite safety in the draft based on pure value, but he is probably the best.

Agree with Dustin, he'll go somewhere in the 20s most likely whether he reaches us or not, that's hardly "overrated". I think he'll be a big help to our secondary if we get him. Not my favorite safety in the draft based on pure value, but he is probably the best.

Ā 

Yeah, he's clearly the best safety in this class imo. Only one who could give him a push is Holliman, but his tackling ability (or lack thereof) and bad athleticism will drop him to probably the 3rd or 4th round.Ā 

Ā 

I think he is going to be a weakness in coverage, and the Alabama system helped somewhat to cover his deficiencies in this area. I am not a big tape watcher, but from the games I did watch I just felt like he dropped balls that should have been interceptions. I could be wrong I just feel like he isn't going to be that good; and the weak S class is helping hold him higher than his true value IMO.Ā 

I think he is going to be a weakness in coverage, and the Alabama system helped somewhat to cover his deficiencies in this area.

Ā 

He played 491 of his snaps up high and another 211 covering slot receivers. He played a lot of snaps as an ITB safety, but he wasn't there for even the majority of his snaps.

Ā 

Ā 

but from the games I did watch I just felt like he dropped balls that should have been interceptions.

Ā 

That's not really a main concern for safeties with me. As long as he stops the ball from getting to the WR, anything else is extra.Ā 

He played 491 of his snaps up high and another 211 covering slot receivers. He played a lot of snaps as an ITB safety, but he wasn't there for even the majority of his snaps.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That's not really a main concern for safeties with me. As long as he stops the ball from getting to the WR, anything else is extra.Ā 

Ā 

Hopefully if we go that route you are right. But, I won't complain if he is not there when we pick.Ā 

I always lookin forward to your mocks. Another good one. Yeah I also had Collins round 1 to us today.

I did research today and Collins to the Colts is becoming a popular thing online. And it makes a lot of sense. Even if Grigson had to trade up to get him.

Interesting to see an OLB that early. I would love that move. Colts would be sending a strong message to Werner.

Trades are fun to mix things up. Though, I'm not too fond of us doing a trade unless we're trading out of the 1st and into the 2nd. There are some other late round shenanigans that'd work too, but that's about it. I just like the talent in this draft so more picks is great. I like the players you picked, though. Good mock!

I wish we would run a traditional SS FS combo instead of this interchangeable thing. Like I said in another thread it's easier to find players that excel at one or the other then ones who are good at both. Collins would be great with a true FS to pair with him. I'd still love Holliman later to pair with Collins you get Holliman's tackling fixed and that would be one tough S pair IMO. Holliman is a flipping ballhawk!!

Honestly if we put Holliman in the 3rd this mock would be absolutely perfect but us doing the interchangeable thing screws the Holliman Collins idea all to hell

I wish we would run a traditional SS FS combo instead of this interchangeable thing. Like I said in another thread it's easier to find players that excel at one or the other then ones who are good at both. Collins would be great with a true FS to pair with him. I'd still love Holliman later to pair with Collins you get Holliman's tackling fixed and that would be one tough S pair IMO. Holliman is a flipping ballhawk!!

Ā 

I don't know that it is fixable ... because it's not like he is bad at it where you can coach him up and/or work on his technique; he flat out does not like/avoids contact.

I don't know that it is fixable ... because it's not like he is bad at it where you can coach him up and/or work on his technique; he flat out does not like/avoids contact.

guess you never know. could light a fire under him in the NFL if it worked he would be very good

However I do understand the fear

I think we need to grab one of the corners in this draft class. Toler is going to be a FA. We don't want to be in a position we have to buy one in free agency next year.

I like the trade love Anthony believe he could be a difference maker. I don't see us adding 9 players to the roster don't mind moving for the right guy in the draft.

I could go either way with Collins a lot would depend on who falls. I would have a hard time passing up one of the top CB's there.

If we walk away with a solid CB to put across from Davis and Cherilus's replacement it would save millions next year while solidifying the team.

guess you never could light a fire under him in the NFL if it worked he would be very good

Ā 

If it worked, he would be great ... but it almost seems to me it is along the lines of like trying teach a lineman to have a "mean nasty streak" ... some guys just don't have that in their make up.Ā 

If it worked, he would be great ... but it almost seems to me it is along the lines of like trying teach a lineman to have a "mean nasty streak" ... some guys just don't have that in their make up.

there could be a reason he avoided contact maybe a fear of injury? Just a thought idk I love his ballhawk skills

guess you never know. could light a fire under him in the NFL if it worked he would be very good

People don't change like that. He might marginally improve but that's the best you could hope for.

there could be a reason he avoided contact maybe a fear of injury? Just a thought idk I love his ballhawk skills

Ā 

I guess, but if that is the case we get him in a late round he isn't getting the "payday" so is he going to play "not get hurt" at least until his contract year. Ā I don't know, I am sure he has been asked about it by teams during the interviews; I would be curious to hear his explanation. He looks like he would just rather be playing flag football.

Because a poster named "Dustin" has been banging the "overrated" drum the longest and loudest here.

And now you ask why others think the same thing?

Oh, the irony.......

I have, but I tend to post reasons why I think players are overrated.

As for Collins. I've changed my mind (well, not really, but I appreciate his skill set more than I did at first)

I guess, but if that is the case we get him in a late round he isn't getting the "payday" so is he going to play "not get hurt" at least until his contract year. I don't know, I am sure he has been asked about it by teams during the interviews; I would be curious to hear his explanation. He looks like he would just rather be playing flag football.

it would be nice to hear what he had to say

From what I have watched he does not avoid contact. He just doesn't tackle with authority. If a coach could at least show him how to square up he would be a great player.

The issue though I believe will always be his lack of aggressiveness in tackles. But playing roamer FS he can get by with being just a gang tackler...

From what I have watched he does not avoid contact. He just doesn't tackle with authority. If a coach could at least show him how to square up he would be a great player.

The issue though I believe will always be his lack of aggressiveness in tackles. But playing roamer FS he can get by with being just a gang tackler...

Ā 

I think it's more than "not tackling with authority". Ā There have been times you can see another defender have ahold of someone and not have them completely down yet and he will just kind of wait outside the play and let another player come and finish off the player. Ā Or if there is another defender close that can make the tackle he won't even try for it. He just screams soft to me (and soft is putting it in "PG" format). Ā 

Collins may or may not be overrated but I'd rather take a safety in the mid rounds. Amos is the 4th and/or Geathers in the 5th would fill our needs at safety. I'm starting to agree that a cb in the first might be best. I'm not sure between Eddie Goldman or let's say Jalen Collins if either of them are available. I'm also split between a rb in the second or a ilb. If Paul Dawson is available when we pick in the second I think he'd be a great addition.

Honestly if we put Holliman in the 3rd this mock would be absolutely perfect but us doing the interchangeable thing screws the Holliman Collins idea all to hell

Ā 

I'd rather have Derron Smith or Anthony Harris instead of Holliman