Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It all depends on the Steelers...

I, like everyone, have read all the mocks and I have come to a personal conclusion.

I think what we do, i.e. who we take all depends on who the Steelers take.

If the Steelers take Collins, I think we will take Peters and vice versus.

I know everyone is thinking(wanting) edge rusher or NT/DT, however I have a hunch it will be one of these two guys, as I think one or the other will be there at 29. The Steelers will take one, but who?

marcus peters isnt gonna beat out vontae toler or butler this year so he would be a 4th corner this year. thats not worth spending a first on

Toler is a FA after this season. Corners typically take 2-3 years of development. It'd be nice to get a head start on that before throwing one into the fire. 

Toler is a FA after this season. Corners typically take 2-3 years of development. It'd be nice to get a head start on that before throwing one into the fire. 

ok I understand that, but toler plays like he did last year, then the colts will most likely resign him

ok I understand that, but toler plays like he did last year, then the colts will most likely resign him

I like Toler as much as anyone but he's not the long-term solution. We don't NEED a corner but it's not a hands off pick either.

Man if we had Vontae + Peters on the outside, we could run sooooo man cover-3/cover-1 looks. Would totally change our defense.

I love that Seahawk style defense. no disguises, no pretense. Just backing your guys ability to be better than the guy across from him.

I think we need a to find our Kam Chancellor though.

marcus peters isnt gonna beat out vontae toler or butler this year so he would be a 4th corner this year. thats not worth spending a first on

Marcus Peters is one of the most talented DBs to come out in years. I honestly believe he will be a top 5 CB in 3 years. He could come in immediately move Toler to the slot. And start.

That is ridiculous, you can never have enough talented corners due to injuries and lack of production of your starters. Plus with Toler getting older it is best to start grooming up the CB you would like to eventually replace him. I get your point that you want to draft players that have the opportunity to start right away, but sometimes that isn't always the best pick. Peters value could be much higher than any of the other positions of need at our pick.

LOL. Its cool because we need both. A Chancellor type and a Earl Thomas type lol.

Except we don't play in a system that is set up for a Chancellor type and a Thomas type.

Our system prefers safeties that can do both.    And neither Chancellor or Thomas can do both.    One is a strong safety and the other is a free safety.       We'd prefer our safeties to be interchangeable.

Not saying I agree with that,  but that's what I've always read here.....

Except we don't play in a system that is set up for a Chancellor type and a Thomas type.

Our system prefers safeties that can do both. And neither Chancellor or Thomas can do both. One is a strong safety and the other is a free safety. We'd prefer our safeties to be interchangeable.

Not saying I agree with that, but that's what I've always read here.....

yeah I wish we has Safties like Seattle pure FS and pure SS but like you said we do the interchangeable thing it's harder to find 2 Safties that excel at both then at one or the other IMO

I think all signs point to the Steelers drafting Collins. But if they don't, I not only expect him to fall to the Colts pick, but I feel Grigson would take him without hesitation.

I would say our 1st round pick is down to 5-6 guys but it depends on what these teams do:

-Steelers

-Lions

-Broncos

-Cowboys

I, like everyone, have read all the mocks and I have come to a personal conclusion.

I think what we do, i.e. who we take all depends on who the Steelers take.

If the Steelers take Collins, I think we will take Peters and vice versus.

I know everyone is thinking(wanting) edge rusher or NT/DT, however I have a hunch it will be one of these two guys, as I think one or the other will be there at 29. The Steelers will take one, but who?

I somewhat agree. I started thinking about a similar conclusion a few weeks ago. It could very well depend on the Steelers. This reminds me of when the Steelers took Troy Polamalu in front of us. I just think you have the players wrong. I am starting to believe the Colts and Steelers are both targeting Shaq Thompson and/or Eli Harold.

That is ridiculous, you can never have enough talented corners due to injuries and lack of production of your starters. Plus with Toler getting older it is best to start grooming up the CB you would like to eventually replace him. I get your point that you want to draft players that have the opportunity to start right away, but sometimes that isn't always the best pick. Peters value could be much higher than any of the other positions of need at our pick.

I agree with you CB needs to be addressed this yr. Peters would allow us to do a lot of things. I hope he falls to 29.

Maybe a S although I don't see that happening. What position is a rookie at 29 going to come in a start day 1?

I don't see it anywhere if everyone is healthy. BPA focusing on the D

I think all signs point to the Steelers drafting Collins. But if they don't, I not only expect him to fall to the Colts pick, but I feel Grigson would take him without hesitation.

I would say our 1st round pick is down to 5-6 guys but it depends on what these teams do:

-Steelers

-Lions

-Broncos

-Cowboys

I don't see why the Steelers would take Collins since they already have Shamarko Thomas and Mike Mitchell 

I agree with you CB needs to be addressed this yr. Peters would allow us to do a lot of things. I hope he falls to 29.

Maybe a S although I don't see that happening. What position is a rookie at 29 going to come in a start day 1?

I don't see it anywhere if everyone is healthy. BPA focusing on the D

Shaq Thompson very well could start on day one. And Eli Harold could be the successor to Robert Mathis.

It's very easy to see why the Steelers and Colts could both be targeting him.

I don't know what indication there is the the Colts are targeting him. I know the Steelers are supposedly high on him though. I hope they take him and let more good player fall to us. 

I don't see why the Steelers would take Collins since they already have Shamarko Thomas and Mike Mitchell

I'll be honest and say I don't know much about Mike Mitchell but I know Thomas. Loved him coming out of Syracuse but at 5'9" he's probably a FS.

Collins is the definition of a Steeler player. His aggressive style might be perfect for what they do considering they lost Clark and Polamalu.

Just a hunch though

I'll be honest and say I don't know much about Mike Mitchell but I know Thomas. Loved him coming out of Syracuse but at 5'9" he's probably a FS.

Collins is the definition of a Steeler player. His aggressive style might be perfect for what they do considering they lost Clark and Polamalu.

Just a hunch though

They lost Clark last year and signed Mike Mitchell to a $25M deal last year. They drafted Shamarko to be Troy's replacement.

I just mean that Collins seems redundant, adding another ITB safety with mediocre coverage ability considering they already have 2 of them projected to start this year. I think it's much more likely they go with a corner or an edge rusher. 

I'm not sure how the Steelers play into it, but I think that, if Peters is there, we have to take him.

I don't feel that way about Collins, despite the fact that safety is a bigger need for next season. There is a chance that Collins is BPA at #29, but my guess is that there will be better players there.

The same is not likely to be true if Peters falls to us...

I don't know what indication there is the the Colts are targeting him. I know the Steelers are supposedly high on him though. I hope they take him and let more good player fall to us. 

There is no indication the Colts are targeting anyone. And that includes any player that any mock draft has shown or any player that anyone on this board has talked about. Again, I cannot highlight this point enough - Everything is speculation. Nobody knows anything, unless they are working in the Colts draft room.

We only have possibilities that we can consider. 

Think about this for a moment. Werner is not going to be a rush linebacker, at least not in my opinion. He has shown that he needs to be on the strong side, and right now Walden has that position locked down. I can see Werner growing into a more physical linebacker role though, and taking over when Walden's deal is over. Werner just doesn't have the quickness to get after the quarterback, but he does have the physical strength to set the edge, and he can get stronger. This is what the eye test has told me.

Now take this a step further. Due to his athleticism, I can actually see a scenario where Trent Cole plays inside linebacker for us. I will certainly concede that this is all speculation on my part though. At the very least, I can see Trent Cole as a nickle linebacker, along with Freeman. 

Now on to replacing Robert Mathis. We have no idea how well he will play this season coming off of a major injury and his age, and we only have him under contract for this upcoming season. Eli Harold would be a good draft pick to mold as his replacement. 

Now I am not saying that this is what the Colts front office will do, but I am raising this a possible scenario.

None of know what will happen, and multiple possibilities are still up in the air.

Personally, if Flowers is off the board when we pick, then I would pull the trigger on Shaq Thompson. I believe he would fit well in our system and also have a good chance of becoming an impact player this season. We might even have some flexibility to move back into the early second round and still get Shaq, although that would result in losing the 5th year option. 

It is very easy to see why the Steelers could be targeting both Shaq and Eli.

There is no indication the Colts are targeting anyone. And that includes any player that any mock draft has shown or any player that anyone on this board has talked about. Again, I cannot highlight this point enough - Everything is speculation. Nobody knows anything, unless they are working in the Colts draft room.

We only have possibilities that we can consider. 

Think about this for a moment. Werner is not going to be a rush linebacker, at least not in my opinion. He has shown that he needs to be on the strong side, and right now Walden has that position locked down. I can see Werner growing into a more physical linebacker role though, and taking over when Walden's deal is over. Werner just doesn't have the quickness to get after the quarterback, but he does have the physical strength to set the edge, and he become even get stronger. This is what the eye test has told me.

Now take this a step further. Due to his athleticism, I can actually see a scenario where Trent Cole plays inside linebacker for us. I will certainly concede that this is all speculation on my part though. At the very least, I can see Trent Cole as a nickle linebacker, along with Freeman. 

Now on to replacing Robert Mathis. We have no idea how well he will play this season coming off of a major injury and his age, and we only have him under contract for this upcoming season. Eli Harold would be a good draft pick to mold as his replacement. 

Now I am not saying that this is what the Colts front office will do, but I am raising this a possible scenario.

None of know what will happen, and multiple possibilities are still up in the air.

Personally, if Flowers is off the board when we pick, then I would pull the trigger on Shaq Thompson. I believe he would fit well in our system and also have a good chance of becoming an impact player this season. We might even have some flexibility to move back into the early second round and still get Shaq, although that would result in losing the 5th year option. 

I thought when you said you believed that the Colts were targeting Harold that you had read or heard something to that effect. My mistake if i misread you.