Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fascinating- Top 5 SPARQ Scores for DL entering draft this year.

For those of you not aware SPARQ is a scoring system for High School recruits, if you look at the Top 5 for DL entering this years class.

1- Grady Jarrett, Clemson 

2- Xavier Cooper, Washington St.

3- Henry Anderson, Stanford

4- Rakeem Nunez-Rouches, Southern Miss.

5- Louis Trinca-Pasat, Iowa

So not only is it surprising that all of these top recruits go to smaller schools, avoiding the big dogs such as Alabama, Ohio St., Oregon, LSU. But rather, if you look at all of those players they all share a similar trait- they all under preformed. And know scouts have looped back around and called them "underrated" or "Under the radar" or "potential stars". That is very strange and just very interesting to me. Thought I'd share. 

For those of you not aware SPARQ is a scoring system for High School recruits, if you look at the Top 5 for DL entering this years class.

So not only is it surprising that all of these top recruits go to smaller schools, avoiding the big dogs such as Alabama, Ohio St., Oregon, LSU. But rather, if you look at all of those players they all share a similar trait- they all under preformed. And know scouts have looped back around and called them "underrated" or "Under the radar" or "potential stars". That is very strange and just very interesting to me. Thought I'd share. 

1) Oregon is NOT a "big dog" when it comes to DL talent, and to push that further, the Pac-12 itself isn't a "big dog" in terms of DL talent either. Ngata and Suggs are it when it comes to the best the Pac-12 has produced.

2) Some guys just don't want to be caught up in the numbers game. They may be "ranked" that well but when they go to those top-tier defensive schools where there are 3, 4, or 5 guys there that are just as good as they are, that ranking on paper is as good as toilet paper. I never understood it myself. I would much rather go somewhere where I knew I was going to get the majority of the playing time rather than splitting it with guys because there was an overload of talent at my position.

Best example of this is Luck and Griffin. Both were recruited by Harbaugh, but one was going to have to watch while the other played. One decided to stay home and play right up the road from where he grew up and the other went on to star at Stanford. Why fight for a position when you can just go someplace else and be the star there. Both did and had excellent college careers.

Xavier Cooper is the real deal. Disruptive. I think he will get drafted in the 2nd Rd.

I agree, Cooper is going to be a big pick up for someone in the 2nd round. If the Colts picked another position other than D-Line in the 1st round I think they should definitely consider picking Cooper up in the 2nd.

Cooper did not really impress me that much watching him. He was able to get penetration and is agile for his size but he gets stuck on an O Lineman to often for me and lacks power and his hand placement is not consistent at all, He rushes upfield to often and gets taken out of the play (Think Dwight Freeney on rushing plays where he would rush upfield and the O Lineman would just lead him in an arc out of the play)

Haven't watched the last 2, but I have the top 3 guys in my top 100. They're all pretty good players.

Ha!  With all the drooling over Carl Davis film you've been doing, I figured you'd take a few seconds to figure out who the guy next to him was.  Louis Trinca-Pasat had a good year, and could be an excellent player.

Ha!  With all the drooling over Carl Davis film you've been doing, I figured you'd take a few seconds to figure out who the guy next to him was.  Louis Trinca-Pasat had a good year, and could be an excellent player.

Yeah, i kind of zone out when I watch a guy. I know who he was, just haven't watched him in depth lol

Jarrett and Pasat are on my radar

Haven't watched the last 2, but I have the top 3 guys in my top 100. They're all pretty good players.

Trinca-Pasat was a real good player for the Hawks. He would come up with a big play when needed. He'll be a nice addition for someone.

I see him for as a 4-3 DT tho.

Just curious, can you give anymore details on these SPARQ scores? Whats the criteria?

Nevermind, just looked it up. Wow, a lot of stuff goes into that.

Smaller schools?

Clemson and Stanford are smaller schools?

They might not be top-10 football factories,  but they're hardly smaller schools.

Also,  when did these players achieve these SPARQ scores?    Recently, or are these their high school SPARQS?

Trinca-Pasat was a real good player for the Hawks. He would come up with a big play when needed. He'll be a nice addition for someone.

I see him for as a 4-3 DT tho.

He could very well end up a 3-4 DE much like former teammate Mike Daniels for the Packers. At 6-1 290 he might be a little small for a 4-3 DT. Especially considering he doesn't have quite the strength or quickness of Daniels or other smaller DTs coming out of college a la Aaron Donald.

Cooper did not really impress me that much watching him. He was able to get penetration and is agile for his size but he gets stuck on an O Lineman to often for me and lacks power and his hand placement is not consistent at all, He rushes upfield to often and gets taken out of the play (Think Dwight Freeney on rushing plays where he would rush upfield and the O Lineman would just lead him in an arc out of the play)

Exactly

That can be corrected thru proper coaching and weight room/diet

I always Hated that about Freeney  :angry: 

1) Oregon is NOT a "big dog" when it comes to DL talent, and to push that further, the Pac-12 itself isn't a "big dog" in terms of DL talent either. Ngata and Suggs are it when it comes to the best the Pac-12 has produced.

2) Some guys just don't want to be caught up in the numbers game. They may be "ranked" that well but when they go to those top-tier defensive schools where there are 3, 4, or 5 guys there that are just as good as they are, that ranking on paper is as good as toilet paper. I never understood it myself. I would much rather go somewhere where I knew I was going to get the majority of the playing time rather than splitting it with guys because there was an overload of talent at my position.

A)  You don't know much about college recruiting, at all.

B)  None of the players listed were big-time recruits.  Not a 4 or 5* in the bunch.

For example, I believe Henry Anderson was the highest rated out of HS in that group, and he was ranked as the 120th best DE that year.  Though ESPN's HS ranking are the worst in the industry, and it's not really close.  But that's another story.

He could very well end up a 3-4 DE much like former teammate Mike Daniels for the Packers. At 6-1 290 he might be a little small for a 4-3 DT. Especially considering he doesn't have quite the strength or quickness of Daniels or other smaller DTs coming out of college a la Aaron Donald.

He's a bit short for your protypical 3-4 DE but he has a good motor. He'll fit into someone's scheme somewhere for sure

Exactly

That can be corrected thru proper coaching and weight room/diet

I always Hated that about Freeney  :angry: 

I don't think Cooper is for us, This is extremely hard to find I think but we need that D Lineman that can do both:

1.Hold up against the run, separate if he has to and make the play on the runner on 1 side of the A Gap while an Interior Linebacker plays the other side in affect plugging the A Gap up while the OLB's hold run contain in case the rb runs outside. the DE's would play the B Gaps and the OLB's the C Gaps

2.Collapse the pocket putting pressure on the QB forcing the QB to hesitate and step back and scramble right or left for the OLB to get the sack or have the linebackers force the QB to step up into the pocket and the NT be able to separate and take down the QB

that's how it should work or in my head anyway, Its about working in unison not just the NT or linebackers, Communication and keeping your eye on the ball...Because the team that holds the ball has the advantage

Just my opinions

I don't think Cooper is for us, This is extremely hard to find I think but we need that D Lineman that can do both:

1.Hold up against the run, separate if he has to and make the play on the runner on 1 side of the A Gap while an Interior Linebacker plays the other side in affect plugging the A Gap up while the OLB's hold run contain in case the rb runs outside. the DE's would play the B Gaps and the OLB's the C Gaps

2.Collapse the pocket putting pressure on the QB forcing the QB to hesitate and step back and scramble right or left for the OLB to get the sack or have the linebackers force the QB to step up into the pocket and the NT be able to separate and take down the QB

that's how it should work or in my head anyway, Its about working in unison not just the NT or linebackers, Communication and keeping your eye on the ball...Because the team that holds the ball has the advantage

Just my opinions

Cooper is a 4-3 DT playing the 3-tech.

I don't think he's a scheme fit for the Colts.

Cooper is a 4-3 DT playing the 3-tech.

I don't think he's a scheme fit for the Colts.

Eh its not really as easy as that I think.... though I agree that's his best fit, If it were then Gannon Conway, Earl Okine, Even Kelcy Quarles would not be on the team, They are all sub 300lbs just like Cooper. What his biggest problem is to me is his struggles to get off blocks consistently and his lack of ability to hold vs O Lineman...That's not necessarily a size problem...That's a strength problem.....you can be massive but weak...Size sometimes just equals size not strength.....for a D Lineman he has bird legs....Not strong enough in the lower body to hold vs O Lineman consistently or drive them back...Combine that with poor hand use (Though active) and I'd pass

Eh its not really as easy as that I think.... though I agree that's his best fit, If it were then Gannon Conway, Earl Okine, Even Kelcy Quarles would not be on the team, They are all sub 300lbs just like Cooper. What his biggest problem is to me is his struggles to get off blocks consistently and his lack of ability to hold vs O Lineman...That's not necessarily a size problem...That's a strength problem.....you can be massive but weak...Size sometimes just equals size not strength.....for a D Lineman he has bird legs....Not strong enough in the lower body to hold vs O Lineman consistently or drive them back...Combine that with poor hand use (Though active) and I'd pass

No....

The three Colts you list are 6-4 to 6-6,  they may be sub-300, but they all have length.

I think Cooper is 6-3 max, and he maybe shorter than that.    He's built like a 4-3 DT that plays the 3-tech.  He's shorter. 

That's why he's a poor fit.     I've seen nothing that says otherwise about him.

No....

The three Colts you list are 6-4 to 6-6,  they may be sub-300, but they all have length.

I think Cooper is 6-3 max, and he maybe shorter than that.    He's built like a 4-3 DT that plays the 3-tech.  He's shorter. 

That's why he's a poor fit.     I've seen nothing that says otherwise about him.

Right, Good catch on the length but I don't think that is why he is not for us...Though obviously that has to be taken into consideration

A)  You don't know much about college recruiting, at all.

B)  None of the players listed were big-time recruits.  Not a 4 or 5* in the bunch.

For example, I believe Henry Anderson was the highest rated out of HS in that group, and he was ranked as the 120th best DE that year.  Though ESPN's HS ranking are the worst in the industry, and it's not really close.  But that's another story.

I'm not sure what website you're reading that had Henry Anderson as the 120th best DE end in the nation out of high school.

But the two top websites for recruiting,  Rivals.com and Scout.com show a much different rating....

Rivals shows him as 27th,  and Scout shows him as 42nd.    He was a solid 3-star recruit and closer to 4-stars than to 2-stars.

A rating of 120th would be the extreme outlier and not very credible....

I'm not sure what website you're reading that had Henry Anderson as the 120th best DE end in the nation out of high school.

But the two top websites for recruiting, Rivals.com and Scout.com show a much different rating....

Rivals shows him as 27th, and Scout shows him as 42nd. He was a solid 3-star recruit and closer to 4-stars than to 2-stars.

A rating of 120th would be the extreme outlier and not very credible....

It was ESPN, which is why I knocked their rankings.

Scout isn't very good anymore if you ask me. Rivals and 247 are well above their competition. I subscribe to both but will probably cancel Rivals.

Anyways, there were about 600 kids ranked higher than him. And he was the best of the bunch listed.

It was ESPN, which is why I knocked their rankings.

Scout isn't very good anymore if you ask me. Rivals and 247 are well above their competition. I subscribe to both but will probably cancel Rivals.

Anyways, there were about 600 kids ranked higher than him. And he was the best of the bunch listed.

ESPN was very poor back then,  but has gotten much better...

Agreed, Scout isn't very good anymore.   But back then they were.     Rivals and 24/7 are better.    Did you mean to say you will probably cancel Rivals, or was that a misprint?    I'm asking because you had just said that they're better.    Thought maybe you meant to say Scout....?

Not a big deal,  just asking....

ESPN was very poor back then, but has gotten much better...

Agreed, Scout isn't very good anymore. But back then they were. Rivals and 24/7 are better. Did you mean to say you will probably cancel Rivals, or was that a misprint? I'm asking because you had just said that they're better. Thought maybe you meant to say Scout....?

Not a big deal, just asking....

I still think ESPN is very lackluster with their southern bias.

Rivals still has good rankings but not a lot of content to justify the cost.

A) You don't know much about college recruiting, at all.

B) None of the players listed were big-time recruits. Not a 4 or 5* in the bunch.

For example, I believe Henry Anderson was the highest rated out of HS in that group, and he was ranked as the 120th best DE that year. Though ESPN's HS ranking are the worst in the industry, and it's not really close. But that's another story.

A) You are a scout for who and what am I missing?

B) My comment about the players wasn't solely about those players listed, but about players in general.

C) Having been a part of the recruiting process myself as an athlete and having seen friends and family go through it and are now going through it with their kids, I can say I have seen the game up close enough to know enough. Sure, is what I said true with all kids? No, but some have better guidance than others. They're (recruiters) glorified car salesman.

But sure, I don't know anything.. at all

A) You are a scout for who and what am I missing?

B) My comment about the players wasn't solely about those players listed, but about players in general.

C) Having been a part of the recruiting process myself as an athlete and having seen friends and family go through it and are now going through it with their kids, I can say I have seen the game up close enough to know enough. Sure, is what I said true with all kids? No, but some have better guidance than others. They're (recruiters) glorified car salesman.

But sure, I don't know anything.. at all

Reasons the majority of PSAs choose a school differs greatly by sport.  In regards to football, it varies by position.  Most of the time, defensive lineman don't stray very far from home.  They're momma's boys that enjoy home cookin'.  After that, it typically comes down to a few things - winning school/tradition, position coach that has a track record of getting guys drafted and relationships/trust.  Very rarely do defensive lineman shy away from a team because of the competition.