Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints trade Kennys Stills to Miami for Danelle Ellerebe and a 3rd rounder

PeterBowman

The Saints are losing it just like the Eagles, lol. Kenny Stills. A good, young, cheap WR. Oh lets trade him for a bad ILB and a 3rd. lmao.

Not really, if what I've read is true Peyton felt a rift in the locker room and there were multiple reports of veterans not getting along with young guys. Combined with how one dimensional the Saints had become, a firesale to clean house on the whole roster and start from scratch at least makes sense, especially with their cap situation.

We should trade them for Cameron Jordan

Yes exactly. I've read they're listening to offers for everyone on their roster. I wouldn't even care if we traded our 1st for him. He's young, in his prime, and is one of the best 3-4 ends in the league.

To people with common sense who are actually paying attention, it is now 100% obvious the Saints aren't making these moves for cap room. That's 2 trades now where they've taken on more salary than they got rid of, and two high-profile signings in Spiller and Browner.

I tried to tell people this, but nobody seems to listen.

Three times now Payton has engaged in large-scale rebuilds:

In 2006, he completely gutted the team and started almost from scratch. The Saints went 10-6, won the division and went to the NFC Championship game. In 2009, he revamped the defense with free agents and rookies, hired a new defensie coordinator and they won the Superbowl. In 2013 he again revamped the defense, hired a new coordinator and brought in a few new offensive starters as well, they went 11-5 and won a road playoff game.

In fact, the only really good Saints team that WASN'T significantly retooled from the year before was the 2011 team which went 13-3. This man knows what the hell he is doing. When the Saints have a bad year, he fixes it, fast, and gets immediate results.

Didn't Ellerbe get released??

The Dolphins were supposed to cut him but the Saints got him as a throw-in when he agreed to take a huge paycut (his salary will still be at least 5 times more than Stills, though, who was making the league minimum as a 5th-round draft pick).

Also Ian Rapoport says Cam Jordan is not available.

Three times now Payton has engaged in large-scale rebuilds:

In 2006, he completely gutted the team and started almost from scratch. The Saints went 10-6, won the division and went to the NFC Championship game. In 2009, he revamped the defense with free agents and rookies, hired a new defensie coordinator and they won the Superbowl. In 2013 he again revamped the defense, hired a new coordinator and brought in a few new offensive starters as well, they went 11-5 and won a road playoff game.

In fact, the only really good Saints team that WASN'T significantly retooled from the year before was the 2011 team which went 13-3. This man knows what the hell he is doing. When the Saints have a bad year, he fixes it, fast, and gets immediate results.

This isn't a rebuild. It is a tear down. The Saints might be good in a few years as draft picks don't come home to roost in season one ...

We don't know yet for sure. Funny how everyone is so sure this team is going to collapse already. 

Trading one of their best players set off a lot of alarms. But as I've considered their moves more closely, I get it. I definitely don't think they're going to collapse, but the question is whether they can get to 10+ wins to secure the division. And that roster is far from complete as of today.

Trading one of their best players set off a lot of alarms. But as I've considered their moves more closely, I get it. I definitely don't think they're going to collapse, but the question is whether they can get to 10+ wins to secure the division. And that roster is far from complete as of today.

If they don't win 10 games next year but manage to build a younger team for the future and have the eventual replacement of Brees, I will be happy with that. 

Last year they could have been a playoff team if it weren't for those 4 games they lost by 3 points or under. I don't think the Saints are really as bad as everyone makes them out to be. 

Getting rid of Graham could turn out to be a good thing though, cause Brees keyed on him so bad in the last two seasons. Most of his interceptions were on balls he forced to Graham. When Graham was injured last year and completely shut down in games like At Pittsburgh, Brees was spreading the ball around like he used to. I am hoping we can get that kind of passing play to come back with this team. 

If they don't win 10 games next year but manage to build a younger team for the future and have the eventual replacement of Brees, I will be happy with that. 

Last year they could have been a playoff team if it weren't for those 4 games they lost by 3 points or under. I don't think the Saints are really as bad as everyone makes them out to be. 

Getting rid of Graham could turn out to be a good thing though, cause Brees keyed on him so bad in the last two seasons. Most of his interceptions were on balls he forced to Graham. When Graham was injured last year and completely shut down in games like At Pittsburgh, Brees was spreading the ball around like he used to. I am hoping we can get that kind of passing play to come back with this team. 

I think Graham is overrated. He is not a good blocker and can be taken out of games as we have seen when the Hawks played him and when Talib played him a couple of years ago in Foxboro. I think what you got back was more than worth it.

I think Graham is overrated. He is not a good blocker and can be taken out of games as we have seen when the Hawks played him and when Talib played him a couple of years ago in Foxboro. I think what you got back was more than worth it.

I totally agree that he is overrated, and that's mostly because he was so over used. 

We don't know yet for sure. Funny how everyone is so sure this team is going to collapse already.

You wrote in an earlier thread that you expected the Saints to go 6-10 (see "The Saints are Crazy" thread). That suggests that you were predicting a "collapse" for your team.

You wrote in an earlier thread that you expected the Saints to go 6-10 (see "The Saints are Crazy" thread). That suggests that you were predicting a "collapse" for your team.

Yep I sure did and I am still predicting a 6-10 record, but if we manage to build a better team for the future, I am all for it. 

Sucks that Keenan Lewis wants to stay in NO. I would have loved for the Colts to get in on that action. Lewis + Vontae would be lockdown central.

Lewis is not even that great. The fact he is our best player in the secondary, shows you how bad we really are. Vontae is a hell lot better. Lewis gets burned bad on deep balls when there is a big receiver that can make the jumps. 

Thanks for "getting it."

When you look at the big picture, they are getting younger and cheaper without downgrading talent.

-Lost Pierre Thomas, replaced with CJ Spiller - lateral move

-Lost Curtis Lofton, replaced with Dannell Ellerbe - lateral move

-Lost Corey White, replaced with Brandon Brower - possibly the biggest upgrade at any position, that any NFL team will make this offseason

-Lost Ben Grubbs, replaced with Tim Lelito - worst case scenario, this is a lateral move but Lelito is a promising young player that reminds a lot of people of a young Jahri Evans

-Lost Kenny Stills, replaced with ?????? - don't know who yet, but Stills is just the latest in a long line of #3 WRs that have come and gone. Anybody with decent hands and half a brain will be productive in this role.

-Lost Jimmy Graham, replaced with ????? - Again we don't know who yet. Josh Hill is already on the roster and has a lot of promise. Lest we forget, Graham was once a 24-year-old rookie with one year of college football experience. He owes a lot more of his success to Brees than the other way around.

-Lost Jonathan Goodwin, replaced with Max Unger - Huge upgrade here, Goodwin was a hot mess last year and Lelito was much better subbing for him, even though he was playing out of position.

Add in Jairus Byrd, who barely got to play last year before he got hurt, and Brandin Cooks, who was lost at the midway point. Those are essentially upgrades over the players that replaced them last season.

I am of a strong belief this team will go at least 10-6 next season. They may not be as talented on paper as the 2014 team, but Payton is weeding out issues and making them a tougher, more focused team. He put a far less talented team in the NFC Championship game in 2006 because they simply worked harder than almost everybody else.

I'd give them a 4th round pick and whatever one of our non-essential players they want for Vaccaro. 4th round is about where we'd probably draft a safety anyways. He was a Rob Ryan pick anyways so I'm sure Peyton would have no problem letting him go since Ryan won't be there much longer.

I'd give them a 4th round pick and whatever one of our non-essential players they want for Vaccaro. 4th round is about where we'd probably draft a safety anyways. He was a Rob Ryan pick anyways so I'm sure Peyton would have no problem letting him go since Ryan won't be there much longer.

Rob Ryan had one season where this defense was ranked in the top 5. I'd give him more a chance than everyone else is. 

All it takes is one bad season and every NFL fan wants this coach and that coach fired. He still has time to make up for last year, which I don't think was all of his fault. 

What makes you think the defensive coordinator is making draft picks?

Thanks for "getting it."

When you look at the big picture, they are getting younger and cheaper without downgrading talent.

-Lost Pierre Thomas, replaced with CJ Spiller - lateral move

-Lost Curtis Lofton, replaced with Dannell Ellerbe - lateral move

-Lost Corey White, replaced with Brandon Brower - possibly the biggest upgrade at any position, that any NFL team will make this offseason

-Lost Ben Grubbs, replaced with Tim Lelito - worst case scenario, this is a lateral move but Lelito is a promising young player that reminds a lot of people of a young Jahri Evans

-Lost Kenny Stills, replaced with ?????? - don't know who yet, but Stills is just the latest in a long line of #3 WRs that have come and gone. Anybody with decent hands and half a brain will be productive in this role.

-Lost Jimmy Graham, replaced with ????? - Again we don't know who yet. Josh Hill is already on the roster and has a lot of promise. Lest we forget, Graham was once a 24-year-old rookie with one year of college football experience. He owes a lot more of his success to Brees than the other way around.

-Lost Jonathan Goodwin, replaced with Max Unger - Huge upgrade here, Goodwin was a hot mess last year and Lelito was much better subbing for him, even though he was playing out of position.

Add in Jairus Byrd, who barely got to play last year before he got hurt, and Brandin Cooks, who was lost at the midway point. Those are essentially upgrades over the players that replaced them last season.

I am of a strong belief this team will go at least 10-6 next season. They may not be as talented on paper as the 2014 team, but Payton is weeding out issues and making them a tougher, more focused team. He put a far less talented team in the NFC Championship game in 2006 because they simply worked harder than almost everybody else.

You got a  lot of big question marks in your summary that will largely determine how this team does in 2015 ...