Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AQ Shipley

Shipley and Iupati, the Cardinals are at least serious about protecting Palmer in the physical NFC West. Happy for Shipley, he gets to briefly re-unite with Arians.

Seahawks, on the other hand, lose Carpenter and Unger, and I have a feeling Russell Wilson will be running for his life more than being able to see Graham or his wide outs running down the field, just a hunch.

Rams, with Foles who does not turn the ball over as much, may actually challenge the Seahawks and Cardinals more than last year, IMO.

I mentioned in another thread about Shipley that I figured he would be signed by a team pretty quickly.  I didn't think it would be this quick, I figured he'd be a second wave free agent signing.

Good for him, he definitely did not deserve to be treated the way he was treated in Indy.

I mentioned in another thread about Shipley that I figured he would be signed by a team pretty quickly.  I didn't think it would be this quick, I figured he'd be a second wave free agent signing.

Good for him, he definitely did not deserve to be treated the way he was treated in Indy.

If the Cardinals pull off the Adrian Peterson trade, they have the firepower to go against the Seahawks.

They do have to retain a few of their own like Dan Williams though to be competitive on D again, especially after losing Todd Bowles. 

I don't see how he was treated wrongly by the Colts. 

I don't see how he was treated wrongly by the Colts. 

He wasn't. 

well that explains why I didn't see it :D

Two different times with the Colts he was playing well... not great but well and two times he replaced in the lineup for no reason other than the coaches wanted someone else to play and both times the replacement played worse than he did.

That is being treated poorly.  You guys may think it's nice the Colts didn't cut him but when a guy earns the starting job and then it gets taken away for no reason that rubs people the wrong way.

Or maybe you guys don't see the frustration when he tweets something like, "One play one TD".

Two different times with the Colts he was playing well... not great but well and two times he replaced in the lineup for no reason other than the coaches wanted someone else to play and both times the replacement played worse than he did.

That is being treated poorly.  You guys may think it's nice the Colts didn't cut him but when a guy earns the starting job and then it gets taken away for no reason that rubs people the wrong way.

Or maybe you guys don't see the frustration when he tweets something like, "One play one TD".

Maybe he's late for meetings, disrespectful to authority, a lot of things could have got him pulled. Doesn't mean he was mistreated, it means we don't know what he did! Im in a small band and even tho a guy may be a good player,  he can disrupt the harmony of the group for some of these reasons. Guys may not want to play next to him. Offensive lineman are tight,  it would be easy to upset that group. It has to be something like this because the coaches are not dumb enough to not play him if he was working well for them. Im sure that the "one play, one td comment didn't help his cause! They brought him back so they must like his ability, so it has to be atitude or something of that nature.

Maybe he's late for meetings, disrespectful to authority, a lot of things could have got him pulled. Doesn't mean he was mistreated, it means we don't know what he did! Im in a small band and even tho a guy may be a good player,  he can disrupt the harmony of the group for some of these reasons. Guys may not want to play next to him. Offensive lineman are tight,  it would be easy to upset that group. It has to be something like this because the coaches are not dumb enough to not play him if he was working well for them. Im sure that the "one play, one td comment didn't help his cause! They brought him back so they must like his ability, so it has to be atitude or something of that nature.

Or perhaps they just treated him poorly and now he's going to another team.... again.

He didn't earn the starting job. He was made the starter by default, due to injuries to the other two guys, after we claimed him off waivers. We were 27th in line, by the way. Lots of teams passed on him.

And as you say, he didn't even play that well. Nor was he promised anything when he came here. The staff didn't owe him anything. I'm sure he was frustrated, but that doesn't mean he was treated poorly.

How the staff handled their decision is unknown to us. But it's not some great injustice that Shipley got benched. He got waived by the Ravens, passed on by 26 teams when he was on waivers, who knows if any of the other 5 times had a claim on him. He's a JAG, epitomized.

He didn't earn the starting job. He was made the starter by default, due to injuries to the other two guys, after we claimed him off waivers. We were 27th in line, by the way. Lots of teams passed on him.

And as you say, he didn't even play that well. Nor was he promised anything when he came here. The staff didn't owe him anything. I'm sure he was frustrated, but that doesn't mean he was treated poorly.

How the staff handled their decision is unknown to us. But it's not some great injustice that Shipley got benched. He got waived by the Ravens, passed on by 26 teams when he was on waivers, who knows if any of the other 5 times had a claim on him. He's a JAG, epitomized.

He's gone right ? I checked the roster and I don't see him. Never have I seen such whining and commotion over a player who's career resembles a ping pong ball. Here one day , traded for a 7th the next day , waived , dropped , not resigned and whatever the heck else. 

He's gone right ? I checked the roster and I don't see him. Never have I seen such whining and commotion over a player who's career resembles a ping pong ball. Here one day , traded for a 7th the next day , waived , dropped , not resigned and whatever the heck else. 

He's a Cardinal now. Reunited with Bruce Arians. Signed to backup Lyle Sendlein, maybe get the job.

He's a Cardinal now. Reunited with Bruce Arians. Signed to backup Lyle Sendlein, maybe get the job.

Better yet maybe he'll win the job in training camp , play a prefect game and then get benched. I would say this is a real win -win. Arians gets a star and we get rid of a nose picking whiner . Everybody wins.

He is not a great center but he was good and he was playing well.  And, to me, it doesn't matter if a player is just another guy or a superstar he doesn't deserve to get the shaft like Shipley got.

You say he got the position by default, but that is what Harrison did as well.  Harrison didn't earn the spot he got it by default when Holmes got injured.  But I guiess since Harrison got the spot by default first his default takes precedence over Shipley's default.

The facts are; Shiply played well at center... above average to good.  Yet he lost his starting job to a rookie.  Harrison played poorly as a center.... average to bad, yet they kept him in there until he got injured.

Shipley is to Colts like that one girl is.  You know the one that you know you can call at anytime and she's available for a date or a function and you may even get a little lucky but she's dropped like a hot potato as soon as anotehr girl comes a long that looks like she may be better.  To me that is not how you treat people, football players or women.

Who's whining?  There was a thread about Shipley because he signed with another team (thus the reason it's in the Free agency section) and I mentioned he did not deserve to get treated the way he was treated in Indy.  And then I explained why I think that.

Do you care to add anything to conversation?  Or did you just come here to whine because people are talking about a player who's career resembles a ping pong ball?

Who's whining?  There was a thread about Shipley because he signed with another team (thus the reason it's in the Free agency section) and I mentioned he did not deserve to get treated the way he was treated in Indy.  And then I explained why I think that.

Do you care to add anything to conversation?  Or did you just come here to whine because people are talking about a player who's career resembles a ping pong ball?

I've already discussed this at length earlier in the year. I think I was the first to document his career from college on. This was pretty much the point of my post.. that being that I can't believe that we are revisiting this again . I'm of the opinion that we discussed this inside and out when it was a relevant issue and I think I contributed in a fair and unbiased manner back then. Nothing personal intended toward you. 

Better yet maybe he'll win the job in training camp , play a prefect game and then get benched. I would say this is a real win -win. Arians gets a star and we get rid of a nose picking whiner . Everybody wins.

Cardinals just released Sendlein, so I guess it's AQ's job to be unjustly stolen from him.

He is not a great center but he was good and he was playing well.  And, to me, it doesn't matter if a player is just another guy or a superstar he doesn't deserve to get the shaft like Shipley got.

You say he got the position by default, but that is what Harrison did as well.  Harrison didn't earn the spot he got it by default when Holmes got injured.  But I guiess since Harrison got the spot by default first his default takes precedence over Shipley's default.

The facts are; Shiply played well at center... above average to good.  Yet he lost his starting job to a rookie.  Harrison played poorly as a center.... average to bad, yet they kept him in there until he got injured.

Shipley is to Colts like that one girl is.  You know the one that you know you can call at anytime and she's available for a date or a function and you may even get a little lucky but she's dropped like a hot potato as soon as anotehr girl comes a long that looks like she may be better.  To me that is not how you treat people, football players or women.

He didn't get the shaft. He got benched. The team decided they wanted to go with a different player at the position. I don't see how that's wronging him. They could have cut him, and then he would have lingered on waivers, again. Probably would have gone to the Chargers and suffered a catastrophic injury like the rest of their centers. Maybe we did him a favor.

Also, Harrison didn't get the position by default. Harrison won the #2 job in camp. The #1 went down, Harrison took his place. Then Harrison went down, and that's probably the only reason we claimed Shipley in the first place.

We disagree on how well Shipley played. That's obvious. But even if he HAD played as well as you say, or even better, it's no great injustice that the team decided they wanted to play someone else instead. That's their prerogative. 

It's NOT like dating someone and playing with their emotions. It's entirely about business and roster management. And per Grigson, when they claimed him, they told him what his role would be. Again, I can understand him being frustrated by that, but that doesn't mean they wronged him. 

By the same token, Sergio Brown wasn't wronged when they gave his spot back to LaRon Landry.

Grigs resuscitated Shipley's career in '12.  Since then Shipley has gone on to make around $2M dollars, and looks to be in line to make a couple million more in coming years.  If that is mistreatment, then sign me up for some myself.

He didn't get the shaft. He got benched. The team decided they wanted to go with a different player at the position. I don't see how that's wronging him. They could have cut him, and then he would have lingered on waivers, again. Probably would have gone to the Chargers and suffered a catastrophic injury like the rest of their centers. Maybe we did him a favor.

Also, Harrison didn't get the position by default. Harrison won the #2 job in camp. The #1 went down, Harrison took his place. Then Harrison went down, and that's probably the only reason we claimed Shipley in the first place.

We disagree on how well Shipley played. That's obvious. But even if he HAD played as well as you say, or even better, it's no great injustice that the team decided they wanted to play someone else instead. That's their prerogative. 

It's NOT like dating someone and playing with their emotions. It's entirely about business and roster management. And per Grigson, when they claimed him, they told him what his role would be. Again, I can understand him being frustrated by that, but that doesn't mean they wronged him. 

By the same token, Sergio Brown wasn't wronged when they gave his spot back to LaRon Landry.

I won't respond to each because it doesn't really matter much..

Harrison won the #2 spot from whom?

Big difference between the Sergio situation and Shipley.  Brown didn't really play all that well.  He was sightly better in coverage than Landry but was much worse in run support.

Like I said it doesn't really matter.  He is signed in AZ and will probably be the starter there for the next 5 or 6 years and the Colts will have Holmes, whom I think has the potential to be better than Shipley and Harrison will probably be gone after 2015.

Shipley has been an overglorified backup, just as Caesar Rayford, Da'Rick Rogers, and Lucious Purifoy was. Maybe ok as a backup or UDFA but crumbs from the table at best.

Your comparisons don't hold water.  Shipley actually started and played well as a starter.  The rest of the guys you mentioned never started.

I won't respond to each because it doesn't really matter much..

Harrison won the #2 spot from whom?

Big difference between the Sergio situation and Shipley.  Brown didn't really play all that well.  He was sightly better in coverage than Landry but was much worse in run support.

Like I said it doesn't really matter.  He is signed in AZ and will probably be the starter there for the next 5 or 6 years and the Colts will have Holmes, whom I think has the potential to be better than Shipley and Harrison will probably be gone after 2015.

Harrison won the #2 spot, period. He didn't have to stay on the roster. There was another center in camp, can't remember his name now, but he's not relevant. The point is the staff kept Harrison because they liked him. 

Landry played better at the end of the season, but he was awful before he got suspended. Either way, the point is that Sergio wasn't wronged. He was benched. Same with Shipley, IMO.

I agree, it doesn't matter. I just don't think he was treated poorly.