Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free agency day 1 confusion. .

There's a lot of things I was hoping for. Big time safety for one. Ngata is another. But now I'll be happy with just 1 more big signing. Either Knighton or Williams. We can draft another D-Lineman and a Safety in the 1st and 2nd too.

I'm confused too. I think all we did was replace the same guys we lost to this point.

Herremans replace Thomas as I believe Thomas will be let go

Langford replaces RJF/Redding

Cole actually replaces mathis in the event Mathis has set backs or can't go right away

Gore replaces trent/bradshaw

AJ if signed replaces wayne/nicks

Gore is probably an improvement over trent/bradshaw

The rest? not so sure

so with that being said I don't think to this point we have severely upgraded in any area we really needed to coming into this FA period.

we still have the draft. I expect us to address safety and ILB in the draft. Hopefully we sign Knighton though.

This draft doesn't have many good safeties or NTs though. We gotta sign a quality NT and a solid S in free agency. For ILB, we could get a solid one in the draft.

We still need a safety, an ILB who can both stop the run and cover over the middle and a run stuffing NT. We have an over abundance of OLBs.

I hope for Knighton or Dan Williams. It looks like the good safeties are gone.

The ILBs available aren't any better than the ones we already have.  

I agree we still need a Safety and NT/DL

We still need a safety, an ILB who can both stop the run and cover over the middle and a run stuffing NT. We have an over abundance of OLBs.

I hope for Knighton or Dan Williams. It looks like the good safeties are gone.

Those are possibilities but we still have Chapman too.  A true NT doesn't play that many snaps, and I don't think Art Jones and either of those two would be on the same field together in the nickel or the 43 set. 

To rotate with Chap, I'd rather have Wilfork who couldn't command so much salary at this point in his career.

But there is also the draft, which is reportedly pretty deep in interior Dlinemen.

I'm confused too. I think all we did was replace the same guys we lost to this point.

Cole actually replaces mathis in the event Mathis has set backs or can't go right away

The rest? not so sure

so with that being said I don't think to this point we have severely upgraded in any area we really needed to coming into this FA period.

They are all upgrades, IMO.  Not superstars, but more talented and better fits.  I'd take a healthy Mathis over Cole, but those days have passed. 

It is extremely risky to try to upgrade by leaps and bounds via free agency.  The only real good ones go for a premium, like Suh, who wanted to go somewhere else.  I think a team upgrades its talent via the draft, not free agency.

But there is still cap room, and some names are still out there.

Those are possibilities but we still have Chapman too. A true NT doesn't play that many snaps, and I don't think Art Jones and either of those two would be on the same field together in the nickel or the 43 set.

To rotate with Chap, I'd rather have Wilfork who couldn't command so much salary at this point in his career.

But there is also the draft, which is reportedly pretty deep in interior Dlinemen.

The rest? not so sure

First of all people Studebaker sucked trent cole is an upgrade over him that guard will replace Thomas upgrade cause this guy is a good  player who has a lot more starting experience and Langford is good too. Herramanns is good upgrade over Thomas and thorton.

Not many quality 3-4 middles at all projected in the draft after the first round. If you're going to run a 3-4 and stop NE, I think you're going to need an adequate one if not better. Just tear up our middle with your UDFA backs Patriots!!! You know I'm not sincere.

I don't think these were the "best available" in FA, but I think they are mostly very good upgrades and they seem to fit a very specific plan.  They make us a lot better now without big, long term cap hits, they allow us to go any direction/flexibility in the draft, and our current younger guys along with the guys we draft this year will get to learn from some of the greats .... and when the young guys are ready to step up in the next year or two there will be nothing in their way because these guys will be moving on (likely retiring).

I am openly critical about many of Grigson's decisions; but if this plan works out like it appears to be designed and he nails this draft he will look like a genius. 

There are still some necessary pieces to put into place, but so far so good IMO. 

Anyone who thinks the ILBs or safeties in the draft will meet our needs hasn't looked. A very week draft pool imo.

The ILBs available in FA were not any better ... who was available that was significantly better than who we have? 

There are still safeties available FA isn't over. Other than McCourty (who was never getting out of NE) and Searcy (who I was hoping for) everyone else is still up for grabs.  

The rest? not so sure

We might as well pack up the Colts and go home. You say there was no improvement so it must be so. So none of the players signed before the free agency started counts? Would it be possible not to whine till after the free agency and the draft is over?

Not many quality 3-4 middles at all projected in the draft after the first round. If you're going to run a 3-4 and stop NE, I think you're going to need an adequate one if not better. Just tear up our middle with your UDFA backs Patriots!!! You know I'm not sincere.

I agree.  I think there needs to be another quality Dlineman added.  I don't necessarily want a one dimensional NT whose price will require a lot of playing time when a pure NT doesn't really play a lot.  And upgrades to ILBs and Safeties would help.

I am all for tempting All Pro Patrick Willis out of retirement. Lol.

I know that is extremely unlikely (impossible).

But my point is that Grinson should have driven much harder on ILB and safety.

If we are truly going for the SB this year, let's truly hope that a relatively easily to fill capability like safety doesn't kill it!!!

I am all for tempting All Pro Patrick Willis out of retirement. Lol.

I know that is extremely unlikely (impossible).

But my point is that Grinson should have driven much harder on ILB and safety.

If we are truly going for the SB this year, let's truly hope that a relatively easily to fill capability like safety doesn't kill it!!!

Who?  What FA ILB is/was available that is that much better than who we have?  What Safety should we have gotten that is not still available (and we weren't getting McCourty)?

Also I wasn't aware that we had made a statement about being done in FA yet.

I think people need to realize that it is almost impossible to have a "great" or better grade at all positions. There is always a weak link, with every team. Seattle lacks recievers, Denver lacked a RB most of the time, New englands OL was bad most of the year (except when playing us) It's just the way it is. As of right now, our Oline is descent, WR is good if we get AJ, RB is good, DB is good other than one safety, LB are good, but could use an upgrade, DL needs work. If we get one good+ DL (knighton, Williams, Fairley) then DL would be good, and our draft can focus on S and LB. 

Somewhere we have to suck, and chances are its the ILB and S position this year

we still have the draft. I expect us to address safety and ILB in the draft. Hopefully we sign Knighton though.

I completely agree, everyone thinks we have to address everything in FA when theres a lot of DL depth in the draft. We need to remember if we have left over cap we can start to sign our own guys to extensions.

Well it isn't like Denver and New England have gotten better. I think we are making small improvements and keeping flexibility in our cap. Hoping we start hitting in our draft....THAT is the real way you build a championship team...FA is just to plug holes and imo short term fixes....only a few legit franchise caliber players hit FA any given year and they cost twice as much as developing and paying your own.