Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Randall Cobb looking for $9mil/year

HtownColt

I would pay Cobb $9 million a year in a heartbeat. Sign him to a 5 year deal and you'll have your receiving core. Cobb is the guy who will solidify our receivers for years to come. He is basically as good as Hilton and can be our 1 or 2 at times. Then we have a solid 3/4 combo in Moncrief and Carter. Lastly we can draft a WR late like Titus Davis and have him and Whalen fight over the final 5th spot. If they both impress, we keep 6 WR's. It's rare that one player fixes a position so well in FA, Cobb is one of those players.

how many "star" FAs have ever worked out?

This is a ridiculous question, just because other star FA's haven't worked out doesn't mean the odds go down for the next one. It's based on team need, how the player fits our scheme, age, etc.... Randall Cobb is 24, he's not much older than some guys who will be drafted this year. He's proven and will single-handedly fix our WR situation. Free Agency is about overpaying a little, I'd rather overpay for a 24 year old Randall Cobb that has dominated than do another 1 year deal on a Cecil Shorts type.

This is a ridiculous question, just because other star FA's haven't worked out doesn't mean the odds go down for the next one. It's based on team need, how the player fits our scheme, age, etc.... Randall Cobb is 24, he's not much older than some guys who will be drafted this year. He's proven and will single-handedly fix our WR situation. Free Agency is about overpaying a little, I'd rather overpay for a 24 year old Randall Cobb that has dominated than do another 1 year deal on a Cecil Shorts type.

No it isn't ridiculous, its history in the NFL. Most big name FAs never livre up to the contacts they get. Mike Wallace is a great example. You build through the draft. Plus the passing game isn't the weakness on the team. Can Cobb run block? The trenches is where upgrades need to be made, not high dollar WTs

No it isn't ridiculous, its history in the NFL. Most big name FAs never livre up to the contacts they get. Mike Wallace is a great example. You build through the draft. Plus the passing game isn't the weakness on the team. Can Cobb run block? The trenches is where upgrades need to be made, not high dollar WTs

We have so many positions that need upgrading, that it's going to be impossible to just build through the draft. I would love to get 5-10 starters in this year's draft, but it won't happen. Free Agency is where you fill needs and the draft is where you build rising stars and the heart of your team. The passing game is a weakness right now. Wayne is probably gone as is Nicks, Moncrief and Carter are unproven. It's worth paying a little to have a stable no2 receiver like Cobb. We do need to build in the Trenches, but that's for the draft. That's why Cobb would save a draft pick. We aren't in position to waste Free agency. Also, who cares if Cobb can run block, he is so much more than that. If you want to waste year after year on one year contracts with guys like Cecil Shorts, that's your perogrative. I'm willing to take a chance on a 24 year old star that can raise the team's level. That's how teams win SB's. 

We have so many positions that need upgrading, that it's going to be impossible to just build through the draft. I would love to get 5-10 starters in this year's draft, but it won't happen. Free Agency is where you fill needs and the draft is where you build rising stars and the heart of your team. The passing game is a weakness right now. Wayne is probably gone as is Nicks, Moncrief and Carter are unproven. It's worth paying a little to have a stable no2 receiver like Cobb. We do need to build in the Trenches, but that's for the draft. That's why Cobb would save a draft pick. We aren't in position to waste Free agency. Also, who cares if Cobb can run block, he is so much more than that. If you want to waste year after year on one year contracts with guys like Cecil Shorts, that's your perogrative. I'm willing to take a chance on a 24 year old star that can raise the team's level. That's how teams win SB's.

Really? How many star WRs were there in the last superbowl?

We need help at WR but we have to build in the trenches spending 9 M on a WR doesn't sound like a good move to me.

That money would be better spent on the offensive line and Defense.

I do agree that WR needs to be addressed via FA. We can't roll with just TY as our only proven WR 

We need to sign someone who can play outside. Cecil Shorts isn't the kind of FA we have signed in the past. He's not a vet on a one year deal trying to show he isn't done. I am growing tired of those signings as well.

Shorts is only 27 has shown he can play in the league and has done it on a terrible offense and never had a QB. I think the guy could be a steal and blow up with Luck. I really hope that Grig's is looking for someone like that with untapped potential. I just would rather pay to fix the O Line and D than sign a high priced WR.

I think Cobb stays in GB anyway.

Really? How many star WRs were there in the last superbowl?

None, but we don't have the defense to hide our deficiencies at WR. So we need to make it up elsewhere. A defense is one way to win a SB, but it's not the only way. It still took a qb like brady with decent wrs and the best te in the nfl to beat the seahawks. We can't count on copying the seahawks or the pats team to win. We need to form our own identity. As you've seen so far, signing middle of the road FA's isn't working.

We need help at WR but we have to build in the trenches spending 9 M on a WR doesn't sound like a good move to me.

That money would be better spent on the offensive line and Defense.

I do agree that WR needs to be addressed via FA. We can't roll with just TY as our only proven WR 

We need to sign someone who can play outside. Cecil Shorts isn't the kind of FA we have signed in the past. He's not a vet on a one year deal trying to show he isn't done. I am growing tired of those signings as well.

Shorts is only 27 has shown he can play in the league and has done it on a terrible offense and never had a QB. I think the guy could be a steal and blow up with Luck. I really hope that Grig's is looking for someone like that with untapped potential. I just would rather pay to fix the O Line and D than sign a high priced WR.

I think Cobb stays in GB anyway.

I really hope we build on the trenches, I've been advocating these past couple weeks that we sign guys like Terrance Knighton and Orlando Franklin. I hate to say it, but Shorts is exactly what we've signed in the past. Darrius-Heyward Bey and Hakeem Nicks were both like 26 and we signed them to 1 year deals. Cecil Shorts is 27 and if we sign him, it'll probably be to some similar deal. I agree that it would be better served to sign a couple guys in the trenches and draft a WR like Phillip Dorsett. It will all depend on some Luck (which player get signed and released and how much we have to outbid other teams for players). Hopefully, we improve and fill a couple needs for FA that set us up for the draft. Cobb would completely fix our WR corps for Luck's career IMO. That is worth the price tag.

Totally agree with what you are saying

We need help at WR there is no question we can't open with TY as the only guy with experience at WR. As of now we have 3 WR under contract TY Moncrief and Carter who is a huge question mark. We have two good TE's too. WR isn't a 9M dollar need. 

IMO 9M on a WR is just crazy. We need help on O Line and could use help at RB and Defense: the D Line, up grades at LB, and at least some depth  and young blood on the back end if not a new starter.

We just have too many needs to sign a big name WR too many live in the world of Madden. If we want to win the Super Bowl we need a better Defense plain and simple. We need some play makers.

I for one like the idea of Shorts if the price is right. He isn't the same old prove it type WR we have been signing. I too am growing tired of those. In Shorts I see a guy who has produced on a terrible offense and has untapped potential. I could see him being a good add with Luck tossing him the ball. Again if the price is right.

WR is not a plug in and play position like RB it is not a need we can't fill in the draft a FA needs to come in IMO. A 9 million dollar one just doesn't make sense.  

I really hope we build on the trenches, I've been advocating these past couple weeks that we sign guys like Terrance Knighton and Orlando Franklin. I hate to say it, but Shorts is exactly what we've signed in the past. Darrius-Heyward Bey and Hakeem Nicks were both like 26 and we signed them to 1 year deals. Cecil Shorts is 27 and if we sign him, it'll probably be to some similar deal. I agree that it would be better served to sign a couple guys in the trenches and draft a WR like Phillip Dorsett. It will all depend on some Luck (which player get signed and released and how much we have to outbid other teams for players). Hopefully, we improve and fill a couple needs for FA that set us up for the draft. Cobb would completely fix our WR corps for Luck's career IMO. That is worth the price tag.

Nicks hadn't been good in a minute we were hoping that he would turn it around. I am not sure what the thinking was on DHB that he would suddenly learn to catch the ball?

Shorts is 27 but he has been a consistent producer on a very poor team. He has had over 50 catches each of the last 3 years and over 2300 yards for the Jags. I think the guy has upside. You really think Nicks or DHB had upside?

I don't think WR is a position that can be fixed through the draft.

We can't roll with TY as our only WR that has shown he can play in this league. I think we need a vet maybe it is as simple as bringing back one of our own. Can Reggie get a little bit back a year removed from the knee injury? Maybe that works.

What is your plan for TY after giving Cobb 9M?

I am not married to Shorts if there is a big market for him I would look else where. I am kind of interested in Denarius Moore another guy who shouldn't command much money but has shown flashes. Crabbtree is still only 28. 

The best way to build is finding your own guys through the draft. We have TY and I think Moncrief will be his robin but you have to have depth. Carter has never played a down in the NFL. I think we need to bring in a guy that has played in the league.

We lost our depth messing around with Rodgers. Brazil not being able to put the bong down so we are in a position where we are thin at WR. I don't think it is a big deal. It can be easily fixed but I think we need someone who has played in the NFL behind TY and Moncrief maybe I am wrong  

Nicks hadn't been good in a minute we were hoping that he would turn it around. I am not sure what the thinking was on DHB that he would suddenly learn to catch the ball?

Shorts is 27 but he has been a consistent producer on a very poor team. He has had over 50 catches each of the last 3 years and over 2300 yards for the Jags. I think the guy has upside. You really think Nicks or DHB had upside?

I don't think WR is a position that can be fixed through the draft.

We can't roll with TY as our only WR that has shown he can play in this league. I think we need a vet maybe it is as simple as bringing back one of our own. Can Reggie get a little bit back a year removed from the knee injury? Maybe that works.

What is your plan for TY after giving Cobb 9M?

I am not married to Shorts if there is a big market for him I would look else where. I am kind of interested in Denarius Moore another guy who shouldn't command much money but has shown flashes. Crabbtree is still only 28. 

The best way to build is finding your own guys through the draft. We have TY and I think Moncrief will be his robin but you have to have depth. Carter has never played a down in the NFL. I think we need to bring in a guy that has played in the league.

We lost our depth messing around with Rodgers. Brazil not being able to put the bong down so we are in a position where we are thin at WR. I don't think it is a big deal. It can be easily fixed but I think we need someone who has played in the NFL behind TY and Moncrief maybe I am wrong  

I was mad on the DHB signing, I knew it would backfire and it did. The Nicks signing I did like for the price, I would of made it a 2 year deal, but it is what it is. I did think Nicks was consistent, he didn't have a ton of upside, but he was producing pretty well on the Giants (though the tds were pitiful). As far as a plan for TY after giving Cobb $9M, you pay TY as well. That's just how it is. A lot of people would rather spend money on mid-card jobber FA's that don't pay off instead of getting top talent that is young like Cobb in FA. It's not about how much you spend, but how you spend it. Every team has the same salary cap, that is what's wonderful about the sport of football. It's a game of brains and strategy. Cobb is 24, so he still very young. You can get a top 10 WR for $9 Million a year that will be with Luck for his career, or you can get two mid level FA's where it's extremely unlikely both will hit. If one hits, then he probably won't be as good as Cobb. 

Shorts is a good player, but he'll still cost half of Cobb most likely and you have to think, would you rather have two Cecil Shorts type players, or a Randall Cobb? You say we need depth at WR, well I say that Moncrief and Carter can be our #3 and #4 and still have tremendous upside. That's real depth, guys who can be #3 and #4 options with the upside to be as good as the #1 and #2 options. We could still fill the trenches in the draft. Personally though, I'd rather get Franklin and Knighton. This thread is about Cobb and I wouldn't mind getting him either. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now! We may not have a chance at Cobb anyway. This will be an interesting Offseason and Free Agency.

I was mad on the DHB signing, I knew it would backfire and it did. The Nicks signing I did like for the price, I would of made it a 2 year deal, but it is what it is. I did think Nicks was consistent, he didn't have a ton of upside, but he was producing pretty well on the Giants (though the tds were pitiful). As far as a plan for TY after giving Cobb $9M, you pay TY as well. That's just how it is. A lot of people would rather spend money on mid-card jobber FA's that don't pay off instead of getting top talent that is young like Cobb in FA. It's not about how much you spend, but how you spend it. Every team has the same salary cap, that is what's wonderful about the sport of football. It's a game of brains and strategy. Cobb is 24, so he still very young. You can get a top 10 WR for $9 Million a year that will be with Luck for his career, or you can get two mid level FA's where it's extremely unlikely both will hit. If one hits, then he probably won't be as good as Cobb. 

Shorts is a good player, but he'll still cost half of Cobb most likely and you have to think, would you rather have two Cecil Shorts type players, or a Randall Cobb? You say we need depth at WR, well I say that Moncrief and Carter can be our #3 and #4 and still have tremendous upside. That's real depth, guys who can be #3 and #4 options with the upside to be as good as the #1 and #2 options. We could still fill the trenches in the draft. Personally though, I'd rather get Franklin and Knighton. This thread is about Cobb and I wouldn't mind getting him either. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now! We may not have a chance at Cobb anyway. This will bnee an interesting Offseason and Free Agency.

I don't think he is leaving GB either although they have a lot of money locked up in Jordy and really like Freeman it'll be interesting.

I hope you are right that it is an interesting offseason in FA. I am not a big FA guy but I think Grig's needs to make a few moves this year. We need the O Line fixed and we need help on D.

The players we've been picking up at WR have gotten taller and taller each time.  I could see the Pats picking up somebody like Cobb before we do.  The guys Pep and Grigs seem to like for the scheme we run are trending to be taller wide receivers who can get physical with you.  Guys like Moncrief and Duron Carter.  There's already talk of Mike Williams agent having 6 meetings in Indy.  I mention that because he's 6'2".  I think the Colts are showing greater interest in big WRs.  I expect the next guy we sign who has any shot at playing will fit this profile, unless somebody like a Phillip Dorsett comes around with blazing speed.  A guy like that who may be hard to pass up.

You really think that WR is a team need for the Colts?

They had a prolific passing attack last year, one of the best in the league... they weren't losing games because of a lack of talent at WR.

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Colts to acquire a big name FA like Cobbs when you already have that role filled by TY Hilton.

Cobb would give you some inflated numbers on offense to brag on forums about how awesome Luck is, but you'd still be losing games the same way you have been for years now.

Wins > Stats

I hope the Colts go in that direction though, it would be a step backwards for their organization and be that much longer before we had to worry about them challenging us.

The passing game is a weakness right now.

Are you serious? The Colts had a top 5 offense in the league last year. They lead the league in passing yards didn't they? You already have a Randall Cobb, his name is TY Hilton!

That's how teams win SB's.

No its not, it's how teams and QBS rack up passing statistics to brag about, it doesn't win you SBs.

Look at the 2 power houses of the NFL that just competed for a SB... Seahawks got rid of Golden Tate and Percy Harvin, their #1 WR was Doug Baldwin and they just went to their 2nd straight SB.

The Pats don't have any elite WR on the outside. other than Moss, they've never had an elite outside WR and they've been to 6 SBs and won 4 of them.

Jvan knows what's up, I just hope the Colts front office follows your thought pattern and not his!

None, but we don't have the defense to hide our deficiencies at WR. So we need to make it up elsewhere. A defense is one way to win a SB, but it's not the only way. It still took a qb like brady with decent wrs and the best te in the nfl to beat the seahawks. We can't count on copying the seahawks or the pats team to win. We need to form our own identity. As you've seen so far, signing middle of the road FA's isn't working.

Take a look at denver as another example of loading an offense with weapons doesn't equal superbowl wins

You really think that WR is a team need for the Colts?

They had a prolific passing attack last year, one of the best in the league... they weren't losing games because of a lack of talent at WR.

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Colts to acquire a big name FA like Cobbs when you already have that role filled by TY Hilton.

Cobb would give you some inflated numbers on offense to brag on forums about how awesome Luck is, but you'd still be losing games the same way you have been for years now.

Wins > Stats

I hope the Colts go in that direction though, it would be a step backwards for their organization and be that much longer before we had to worry about them challenging us.

WR is a need, but not a Randall Cobb need. If Hakeem Nicks isn't re-signed, we will get another veteran WR with a small 1 year prove it contract like we have the past few seasons. Reggie Wayne could be retiring as well, so there's that.

GB really needs to get Rodgers a quality TE. Or the very least a tall receiver for the red zone.

Well, when they won that SB a few years back, Finley was injured most of the year and there was barely any TE play from them. 

I agree he does need a tall receiver in the end zone. They finally have a running back for him, so that's a step in the right direction. 

Most of all their defense needs major fixes after the past few seasons. Every loss in the playoffs they've had in recent years could be blamed on their defense giving up huge plays. 

Well, when they won that SB a few years back, Finley was injured most of the year and there was barely any TE play from them. 

I agree he does need a tall receiver in the end zone. They finally have a running back for him, so that's a step in the right direction. 

Most of all their defense needs major fixes after the past few seasons. Every loss in the playoffs they've had in recent years could be blamed on their defense giving up huge plays. 

I thought their defense was lights out vs Seattle. Their STs really blew that game.

Agree on all your other points. They need to get him a big red zone target.