Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Colts Fans Should Want a Pass Rusher Above All Else

backshoulderfade

So, as you and a few other have said, we should continue to draft a pass rusher every year. When do we stop to see what we have and give the young players a chance to show what they can do?

I would be for it, if we would draft a true OLB/pass rusher. That will not be the case. We will draft another undersized DE and will try to turn him into an OLB.

I suggest we wait 1 season, then go from there.

But last season we ranked 31st as a pass rushing tean without the blitz. That is a huge problem. We saw what we had in 2014. Very little. We don't necessarily have to draft a pass rusher, we could sign one.

The simple fact of the matter is what we have isn't good enough. Mathis cannot be counted on to make a difference. There is a huge difference between saying that and saying we should draft a new pass rusher every year.

Saaying people are saying we ar should draft one every year and trying to argue that...it's a bit of a red herring.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But last season we ranked 31st as a pass rushing tean without the blitz. That is a huge problem. We saw what we had in 2014. Very little. We don't necessarily have to draft a pass rusher, we could sign one.

The simple fact of the matter is what we have isn't good enough. Mathis cannot be counted on to make a difference. There is a huge difference between saying that and saying we should draft a new pass rusher every year.

Saaying people are saying we ar should draft one every year and trying to argue that...it's a bit of a red herring.

I could agree with acquiring one in FA.  This is the 3rd year in a row that a pass rusher is deemed needed (2013, 2014, now in 2015) on this forum. 

All I am saying wait 1 season to see the progress.

If we draft another so called pass rusher, is he going to start day 1, or be another project.   If he does not start day 1, then we might as well do as I suggest. 

I could agree with acquiring one in FA.  This is the 3rd year in a row that a pass rusher is deemed needed (2013, 2014, now in 2015) on this forum. 

If we draft another so called pass rusher, is he going to start day 1, or be another project.   If he does not start day 1, then we might as well do as I suggest.

You can't really argue with the fact that the Colts are terrible at generating pressure without the rush though. Getting a starter would be the intention, of course. You can't not take a player in a position of desperate need because they might not be a starter. Why draft anyone at all otherwise. That argument holds as little weight as suggesting that pass rusher isn't a need at all like you have.

Draft or free agency, we need to get players who can bring the pressure. It is silly to argue otherwise when faced with the facts.

I am a Colts fan and I do not "Want a Pass Rusher Above All Else".

We pick at #29 and we are NOT going to get one of the top impact pass-rushers...they will be gone.

If we insist on a pass-rusher at #29 and force the pick, we may well end up with a 2nd or 3rd rounder (again).

We need to pick the BPA at #29 and if that is an offensive player then I am happy with that.

I am a Colts fan and I do not "Want a Pass Rusher Above All Else".

We pick at #29 and we are NOT going to get one of the top impact pass-rushers...they will be gone.

If we insist on a pass-rusher at #29 and force the pick, we may well end up with a 2nd or 3rd rounder (again).

We need to pick the BPA at #29 and if that is an offensive player then I am happy with that.

The title was meant to grab your attention. If you read, you would have seen me say I wanted to play devil's advocate. What's more, not once did I say we need to draft a pass rusher.

Just because a player can't start right away doesn't mean that he shouldn't be drafted. I get the desire to have an immediate contributor in the first couple rounds, and to an extent, I agree with that, but if we draft a pass rusher in the third round and he doesn't really contribute right away, that's perfectly fine. The draft is about building for the future, not just the present.

Like I said, I was playing devil's advocate in hopes of starting an interesting conversation.

I just don't dig the angle. Unless we're talking about a QB, there is no such thing as an individual need above all else, unless you don't have any other needs.

I do agree that we need a pass rusher, absolutely; I think you can never have too many, to be honest. Your points are all valid. I'm just opposed to the "we have bigger needs!" narrative that always comes into play during the offseason. Like I said, we can and should address all of our needs.

I just don't dig the angle. Unless we're talking about a QB, there is no such thing as an individual need above all else, unless you don't have any other needs.

I do agree that we need a pass rusher, absolutely; I think you can never have too many, to be honest. Your points are all valid. I'm just opposed to the "we have bigger needs!" narrative that always comes into play during the offseason. Like I said, we can and should address all of our needs.

And I don't necessarily disagree with you.

You can't really argue with the fact that the Colts are terrible at generating pressure without the rush though. Getting a starter would be the intention, of course. You can't not take a player in a position of desperate need because they might not be a starter. Why draft anyone at all otherwise. That argument holds as little weight as suggesting that pass rusher isn't a need at all like you have.

Draft or free agency, we need to get players who can bring the pressure. It is silly to argue otherwise when faced with the facts.

I agree we could use help with the pass rush.  I agree that FA might be the way to go at this point.

I can't agree with continuing to use draft picks to get one till we see what we got.

Just because a player can't start right away doesn't mean that he shouldn't be drafted. I get the desire to have an immediate contributor in the first couple rounds, and to an extent, I agree with that, but if we draft a pass rusher in the third round and he doesn't really contribute right away, that's perfectly fine. The draft is about building for the future, not just the present.

I agree with what you stated. 

I am willing to wait a year to see how our other draft picks (Werner and Newsome) continue to progress.

As I stated earlier in this thread, with Robert coming back and Werner and Newsome progressing, I am willing to wait 1 year for another pass rusher. 

would like to draft some other positions a little earlier this year (OL, S, ILB).

The title was meant to grab your attention. If you read, you would have seen me say I wanted to play devil's advocate. What's more, not once did I say we need to draft a pass rusher.

Sorry...I didn't read every word (there were a lot of words).

I just hope Grigs takes BPA with every pick (especially the first 3) and then back-fills the open positions as best he can.

I agree with what you stated.

I am willing to wait a year to see how our other draft picks (Werner and Newsome) continue to progress.

As I stated earlier in this thread, with Robert coming back and Werner and Newsome progressing, I am willing to wait 1 year for another pass rusher.

would like to draft some other positions a little earlier this year (OL, S, ILB).

Here's the problem: What if they don't progress? And what if Mathis isn't able to produce anymore?

I think, one way or another, we need another pass rusher this year. There should be no ceiling on what this team can accomplish in 2015, especially not a self-imposed restriction because the staff failed to put together a top notch roster out of deference to young players getting guaranteed time. Barring a rash of significant injuries, the Colts should be a serious contender, if they add talent across the board. To me, that includes pass rusher(s).

And if that means guys like Werner and Newsome get more competition, that's a good thing. Either they'll perform and earn their place in the rotation, or they'll be outplayed. The team is better, no matter the outcome. Especially in case of injury.

I understand what you are saying and this has been the same reason in 2013, 2014 and now.

If the pass rusher drafted this year is not a day 1 starter, then he will only see part time action (see Newsome this past year).  It changes nothing in the pass rush and takes away from our young pass rushers playing time.  With that said, if the pass rusher we draft this year is not a day1 starter, then next year (2016), we will be having this discussion again for the same reasons for drafting a pass this year, 2013, and 2014.  If we continue this way, we will have cycle of draft a pass rusher, they play part time, and then draft another the following off season.  When does the cycle end, as getting a day 1 starter is very slim, as we both know.

I understand what you are saying and this has been the same reason in 2013, 2014 and now.

If the pass rusher drafted this year is not a day 1 starter, then he will only see part time action (see Newsome this past year). It changes nothing in the pass rush and takes away from our young pass rushers playing time. With that said, if the pass rusher we draft this year is not a day1 starter, then next year (2016), we will be having this discussion again for the same reasons for drafting a pass this year, 2013, and 2014. If we continue this way, we will have cycle of draft a pass rusher, they play part time, and then draft another the following off season. When does the cycle end, as getting a day 1 starter is very slim, as we both know.

So we are meant to stick with a terrible pass rush?

So we are meant to stick with a terrible pass rush?

I would not mind getting a pass rusher in FA. 

I am not willing to continue to draft a DE to convert to a OLB.  Unless he makes the adjustments during OTs and TC, he will not start.  He will be a part time player.  So the cycle begins again in 2016, with  the same reasons as this year. 

All I have said is give it a year.  If we draft a pass rusher this year, we need to wait in 2016 and not draft a pass rusher.  Sooner or later, we have to give these young OLBs the chance for which they were drafted for.

When does the cycle end, as getting a day 1 starter is very slim, as we both know.

I don't understand why a drafted pass rusher is expected to be a Day 1 starter. Most drafted players, regardless of position, aren't Day 1 starters. Drafting a pass rusher doesn't relegate Newsome to the bench.

I think the point is that the draft is a means to add young talent, not a way to address all of your pressing needs right away.

So it's starting to officially feel like silly season. The combine is just a few days away and we are all starting to get excited over the prospects who may be drafted and the veterans who may sign. This is an Indy team with a lot of weaknesses, holes and needs and, to be honest, I am still quite undecided on our biggest need. But allow me to play devil's advocate for a while. I feel there are a few solid arguments as to why an edge rusher is our biggest need this offseason.

1. Blitzing

It is common knowledge that this Indy defense was blitz heavy this year. In fact, Indy blitzed more than any other team in the league with 305. This was good for a blitz on 41.4% of dropbacks, 3rd in the league. According to Pro Football Focus' pass rush productivity stats, the Colts were one of the worst teams in the league at getting pressure without the blitz. In fact we were ranked 31st in the league in this regard. That means we aren't just deficient here, we are straight up terrible.

If we can get pressure to the opposite teams QB with 4 men, that means we have more men covering back which could mask some of the deficiencies we have in the middle. Simply put, we are not good enough rushing the four men we have and as such, we need an upgrade at OLB. If someone comes in improving our 4 man rush we can blitz less. If we blitz less not only can we have more men in coverage, but the blitz could become more effective.

2. Robert Mathis

I know some of you are thinking that this isn't such a need with Robert Mathis coming back next season. Well it is. By the start of next season he will be 34. Needless to say, we should expect a sharp decline in production from here on out. 19.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles was an all-time great season but that production should not be expected on a consistent basis. Also, we can't expect him to play a super high volume of snaps with increased age.

Then he is coming off an achilles injury as well. For much of his career, Robert has been one of the most explosive pass rushers in this league being a true quick twitch player. The nature of his injury is surely cause for concern as it could potentially take a lot of spring out of him which I feel would be a real detriment to his style. He could also be missing for a few games at the start of the season.

hate this last point, but it needs to be said. While I take Robert to his word, if his stellar 2013 season was partially a result of PEDs then he has 2 choices. Stop, or try and hide it better. If he stops we could again see a decrease in production.

3. Rotation

We had a few horrible losses last season. 42-7 at Dallas. 51-34 at Pittsburgh. 42-20 vs New England. One common thread from all these games? We got dominated in time of possession. If teams get lots of long sustained drives our D is going to gas fast. Having multiple pass rushers to rotate in allows them to stay fresh and play at a higher level.

The model for this is a team like the Ravens. Famous for having such depth in the front 7, it has really served them well. There were a few players in Baltimore who had some really nice numbers in 2014. Elvis Dumervil, 17 sacks. Terrell Suggs - 12 sacks. Pernell McPee - 7.5 sacks. According to PFF, they rank 8th in PRP without the blitz.

Having another pass rusher would allow us to have some different looks too. Perhaps we could use a NASCAR front, of sorts. Be more creative when it is time to blitz. Who knows.

I'm just going to finish with a little disclaimer, as there might be an unpopular opinion or two in there. I do not, nor have I ever been in any doubt about Mathis' statement with regards to his suspension. I still believe he will come back and be a beast next season.

Naaaa! We need better play at the line of scrimmage and better ILB play. The end.

I don't understand why a drafted pass rusher is expected to be a Day 1 starter. Most drafted players, regardless of position, aren't Day 1 starters. Drafting a pass rusher doesn't relegate Newsome to the bench.

I think the point is that the draft is a means to add young talent, not a way to address all of your pressing needs right away.

I am not saying that any pass rusher we draft this has to be a Day1. I am saying, that any pass rusher we draft this year, if not a Day1 start, will cause this discussion again in 2016, 2017 2018, and so on till we draft a Day 1 starter.

I am not saying that any pass rusher we draft this has to be a Day1. I am saying, that any pass rusher we draft this year, if not a Day1 start, will cause this discussion again in 2016, 2017 2018, and so on till we draft a Day 1 starter.

I disagree with that. If Werner or Newsome (or the hypothetical 2015 draft pick) actually performs and produces, then this discussion starts to fade away.

However, pass rusher is one of the most important elements of a defense, and I don't have a problem with adding a pass rush threat every year. 

I disagree with that. If Werner or Newsome (or the hypothetical 2015 draft pick) actually performs and produces, then this discussion starts to fade away.

However, pass rusher is one of the most important elements of a defense, and I don't have a problem with adding a pass rush threat every year. 

That is the problem with what you have said.  You say we need to draft another pass rusher this year after drafting 1 in 2013 and 2014, and if this pass rusher is not a Day1 starter, this discussion starts again at the start of Off Season next year.

I'm not sure about your last statement.  Are you really willing to set aside a draft pick just to draft a pass rusher each year?  If so, you have surprised me.

That is the problem with what you have said.  You say we need to draft another pass rusher this year after drafting 1 in 2013 and 2014, and if this pass rusher is not a Day1 starter, this discussion starts again at the start of Off Season next year.

I'm not sure about your last statement.  Are you really willing to set aside a draft pick just to draft a pass rusher each year?  If so, you have surprised me.

I don't know that I said we need to draft a pass rusher this year. I said I don't understand the opposition to it.

And in a similar vein, it's not that I think the team should set a pick aside for a pass rusher every year, it's that I don't believe that drafting is a needs-based proposition. I believe drafting is about adding talent, wherever you can, not addressing needs. As your talent level improves, you begin to push less talented players off your roster, and your roster is better. Aside from specialized positions -- QB, K/P, maybe TE -- I don't think there's any position that our team should exclude from our draft board. 

If you have pressing needs, use free agency. If you're up against the cap and can't use free agency, you probably have to take a year of cap hell in order to reconfigure your roster. I just don't think it's smart to make the draft about your needs and your roster mechanics. The draft is about adding young talent that you can develop. 

I don't know that I said we need to draft a pass rusher this year. I said I don't understand the opposition to it.

And in a similar vein, it's not that I think the team should set a pick aside for a pass rusher every year, it's that I don't believe that drafting is a needs-based proposition. I believe drafting is about adding talent, wherever you can, not addressing needs. As your talent level improves, you begin to push less talented players off your roster, and your roster is better. Aside from specialized positions -- QB, K/P, maybe TE -- I don't think there's any position that our team should exclude from our draft board. 

If you have pressing needs, use free agency. If you're up against the cap and can't use free agency, you probably have to take a year of cap hell in order to reconfigure your roster. I just don't think it's smart to make the draft about your needs and your roster mechanics. The draft is about adding young talent that you can develop. 

My opposition to drafting another pass rusher is Robert is coming back this year.  Werner has progressed each of his 2 years.  Newsome took good strides forward in his rookie year and Erik tried to step-up his play as a pass rusher.  Yes, we didn't get the sacks, but we had good progress from are young pass rushers.  That is why I am willing to wait a year to draft another.  If it is needed, then I am not against getting one in FA (doesn't need to be a big name either).

I will say that my biggest opposition to drafting a pass rusher this year is, no matter who we draft, they will be converting from DE to OLB (Werner 2.0).  If there is a true OLB/Pass rusher, I would be for drafting him.  Rushing from a 2 point stance is different than rushing from a 3 point stance (I have done both).  We both know part of what is slowing Werner is the transition from DE to OLB.  Each uses a different skill set.  I know Newsome did the same, but he seems to be a natural OLB than a DE (Jerry Hughes type).

As you have stated and I agreed with, is we need an across the board draft.  Both lines could use help, an ILB that can cover as well as stuff the run, and a Safety that can cover.  Some depth at CB, RB and WR would be good as well. As you have stated, if you have a pressing need, use FA.  As I stated, I am not against getting a pass rusher in FA.

So it's starting to officially feel like silly season. The combine is just a few days away and we are all starting to get excited over the prospects who may be drafted and the veterans who may sign. This is an Indy team with a lot of weaknesses, holes and needs and, to be honest, I am still quite undecided on our biggest need. But allow me to play devil's advocate for a while. I feel there are a few solid arguments as to why an edge rusher is our biggest need this offseason.

1. Blitzing

It is common knowledge that this Indy defense was blitz heavy this year. In fact, Indy blitzed more than any other team in the league with 305. This was good for a blitz on 41.4% of dropbacks, 3rd in the league. According to Pro Football Focus' pass rush productivity stats, the Colts were one of the worst teams in the league at getting pressure without the blitz. In fact we were ranked 31st in the league in this regard. That means we aren't just deficient here, we are straight up terrible.

If we can get pressure to the opposite teams QB with 4 men, that means we have more men covering back which could mask some of the deficiencies we have in the middle. Simply put, we are not good enough rushing the four men we have and as such, we need an upgrade at OLB. If someone comes in improving our 4 man rush we can blitz less. If we blitz less not only can we have more men in coverage, but the blitz could become more effective.

2. Robert Mathis

I know some of you are thinking that this isn't such a need with Robert Mathis coming back next season. Well it is. By the start of next season he will be 34. Needless to say, we should expect a sharp decline in production from here on out. 19.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles was an all-time great season but that production should not be expected on a consistent basis. Also, we can't expect him to play a super high volume of snaps with increased age.

Then he is coming off an achilles injury as well. For much of his career, Robert has been one of the most explosive pass rushers in this league being a true quick twitch player. The nature of his injury is surely cause for concern as it could potentially take a lot of spring out of him which I feel would be a real detriment to his style. He could also be missing for a few games at the start of the season.

hate this last point, but it needs to be said. While I take Robert to his word, if his stellar 2013 season was partially a result of PEDs then he has 2 choices. Stop, or try and hide it better. If he stops we could again see a decrease in production.

3. Rotation

We had a few horrible losses last season. 42-7 at Dallas. 51-34 at Pittsburgh. 42-20 vs New England. One common thread from all these games? We got dominated in time of possession. If teams get lots of long sustained drives our D is going to gas fast. Having multiple pass rushers to rotate in allows them to stay fresh and play at a higher level.

The model for this is a team like the Ravens. Famous for having such depth in the front 7, it has really served them well. There were a few players in Baltimore who had some really nice numbers in 2014. Elvis Dumervil, 17 sacks. Terrell Suggs - 12 sacks. Pernell McPee - 7.5 sacks. According to PFF, they rank 8th in PRP without the blitz.

Having another pass rusher would allow us to have some different looks too. Perhaps we could use a NASCAR front, of sorts. Be more creative when it is time to blitz. Who knows.

I'm just going to finish with a little disclaimer, as there might be an unpopular opinion or two in there. I do not, nor have I ever been in any doubt about Mathis' statement with regards to his suspension. I still believe he will come back and be a beast next season.

in all fairness to the Dallas game, living in Dallas alot of cowboy fans have told me exactly what i thought when i was at the game....it didn't look like the colts were throwing the cowboys everything they had. that being said i do agree we need a pass rusher or a Safety in the first round. unfortunately the two i want Fowler and Collins will not be there when we pick

in all fairness to the Dallas game, living in Dallas alot of cowboy fans have told me exactly what i thought when i was at the game....it didn't look like the colts were throwing the cowboys everything they had. that being said i do agree we need a pass rusher or a Safety in the first round. unfortunately the two i want Fowler and Collins will not be there when we pick

Didn't we still have a shot at the #2 seed in that game. Seems odd that they wouldn't be totally up for that game.

My opposition to drafting another pass rusher is Robert is coming back this year.  Werner has progressed each of his 2 years.  Newsome took good strides forward in his rookie year and Erik tried to step-up his play as a pass rusher.  Yes, we didn't get the sacks, but we had good progress from are young pass rushers.  That is why I am willing to wait a year to draft another.  If it is needed, then I am not against getting one in FA (doesn't need to be a big name either).

I will say that my biggest opposition to drafting a pass rusher this year is, no matter who we draft, they will be converting from DE to OLB (Werner 2.0).  If there is a true OLB/Pass rusher, I would be for drafting him.  Rushing from a 2 point stance is different than rushing from a 3 point stance (I have done both).  We both know part of what is slowing Werner is the transition from DE to OLB.  Each uses a different skill set.  I know Newsome did the same, but he seems to be a natural OLB than a DE (Jerry Hughes type).

As you have stated and I agreed with, is we need an across the board draft.  Both lines could use help, an ILB that can cover as well as stuff the run, and a Safety that can cover.  Some depth at CB, RB and WR would be good as well. As you have stated, if you have a pressing need, use FA.  As I stated, I am not against getting a pass rusher in FA.

We see a lot of this differently. I think the fundamental sticking point is that I think the draft philosophy should be sort of position-less, and you favor a more position specific-approach. I just want us to draft good players.

We see a lot of this differently. I think the fundamental sticking point is that I think the draft philosophy should be sort of position-less, and you favor a more position specific-approach. I just want us to draft good players.

You are confusing me.  I agree that we need to draft across the board or position-less.  I am not in favor of drafting another pass rusher, this year.

Again, I agree with you that we need to draft good players, but in the other positions as well.

I want them to get a pass rusher but I'd rather sign a free agent then go for another rookie. We have too many inexeperienced rushers as it is.

Good experienced pass rushers cost a TON. Watch what Jerry Hughes will get for a contract this  year and he has 2 years of 10 sacks. Its going to be expensive. I think you have to draft pass rushers in order to afford them. Unfortunately for us, Werner was expected to be a pass rusher and so far he hasn't panned out. So, likely that we either hope that Newsome continues to develop or we draft another one.

I agree. However, IMO its just as important to add a good DT/DE. We don't know how Mathis will look next year. We need to be planning as if Mathis wont be the same. So we absolutely have to bring in a star pass rusher or draft a potential star in the 1st. I wouldn't mind trading up to get Vic Beasley, that'd be one possibility, but I hope Grigs goes after Aldon Smith if those trade rumors are true. I know Smith has been stupid in the past, but I think he gets it now. He's got too much talent to pass on. I mean the dude's good for 12 plus sacks every season. There also may be a few guys that get released (Tambi Hali hopefully). Anyways I agree with the OP, A pure pass rusher is a need that absolutely has to be addressed this offseason.

No thanks on Aldon Smith. Although he may be a good pass rusher it seems he cant get his off the field behavior under control.

You are confusing me.  I agree that we need to draft across the board or position-less.  I am not in favor of drafting another pass rusher, this year.

Again, I agree with you that we need to draft good players, but in the other positions as well.

The two bolded statements strike me as contradictory.

I don't understand this.  The Colts need difference makers at virtually all positions except QB.  If there is one who is available at the time of any of their picks and he happens to rush the passer, they will quite correctly choose him.

We have no talent yet we make it to the AFC championship game and playoffs three straight years...I guess this suggests we have the best coaches in the league or orther?  Perhaps I don't understand your comment.

We have no talent yet we make it to the AFC championship game and playoffs three straight years...I guess this suggests we have the best coaches in the league or orther?  Perhaps I don't understand your comment.

Aside from QB, Vontae, and perhaps TE, tell me a position where the Colts have difference making, must-be-accounted for at all times talent.  They have a needs all over the place.  

Aside from QB, Vontae, and perhaps TE, tell me a position where the Colts have difference making, must-be-accounted for at all times talent.  They have a needs all over the place.  

Well,  I'd add TYH and, when/if healthy,  Mathis,  but otherwise,  I'm completely with you and have been preaching this for a while.

We are still in the process of building this roster....

Well,  I'd add TYH and, when/if healthy,  Mathis,  but otherwise,  I'm completely with you and have been preaching this for a while.

We are still in the process of building this roster....

Yes - TY too.  They just don't have many areas in which you would say there is no way that position can't be upgraded.