Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clowney a bust?

IcEWoLF

Here's my take on this: I thought he was going to be a bust the moment I studied his tape and heard all the crap about him deserving to go no1 last year. The guy went no1 because he laid a big hit on Vincent Smith (a Michigan RB in 2013 most of you probably never even heard of). He's lazy, takes plays off, obviously was covering up some kind of nagging injury that he didn't tell the Texans, he can easily be contained with even single coverage in the NFL. All the while you have Khalil Mack (like I said), who is the true complete football player. Clowney isn't a once in a generational talent, he isn't even 50% of Watt. The texans got caught up in the hype and didn't think about the decision. He'll be a bust and I'll put all my money on that, when all the signs are there, it's tough to turn it around, especially when you don't have the talent in the first place to justify that pick. I compare him to RGIII in a way, at least RGIII started off well though.

This bust talk is just getting out of hand..."cant seem to stay healthy"....Holy hell it was 1 year.....1 year....Miss one year now and your all of a sudden garbage? A bust? Some people need to start being realistic around here

Clowney was a unique situation. You either believed the hype about him that he was going to be a once in a generational talent, or you looked at all the signs (not including the injury) that he was an overrated highlight reel. Most people believed one or the other. Let me ask you this, what makes you think he will be a productive player besides that big hit he laid on Vincent Smith and his draft position? You are playing the politically correct game by defending him with the generic argument. Never has a player done less in college and the pros and gotten so much praise IMO. No1 pick lol.

Clowney was a unique situation. You either believed the hype about him that he was going to be a once in a generational talent, or you looked at all the signs (not including the injury) that he was an overrated highlight reel. Most people believed one or the other. Let me ask you this, what makes you think he will be a productive player besides that big hit he laid on Vincent Smith and his draft position? You are playing the politically correct game by defending him with the generic argument. Never has a player done less in college and the pros and gotten so much praise IMO. No1 pick lol.

you are either a fool or have never read any of my posts before if you think I am drawing my opinion of him of one hit, Also for future reference 24 sacks and 47 tfl's  "Never has a player done less in college"........Not to mention 4 games........4....He started 2 of those

you are either a fool or have never read any of my posts before if you think I am drawing my opinion of him of one hit, Also for future reference 24 sacks and 47 tfl's  "Never has a player done less in college"........Not to mention 4 games........4....He started 2 of those

Real tough guy on the internet huh? Also, he's shown nothing but that he's a one dimensional bruce irvin type pass rusher that was overdrafted. I obviously know that he only played 4 games and started two. You dodged my question, what did you see in college that makes him the no1 pick. He had a good year in 2012 (I believe) and basically took the year off in 2013. Why would you want a player that is lazy and takes plays off? He obviously didn't try his last year in college. 24 sacks means nothing to me when you don't try. I asked you because you supposed to be the smart draft guy here and I wanted an honest opinion that was valid, but it seems like you have to play the internet tough guy.

Real tough guy on the internet huh? Also, he's shown nothing but that he's a one dimensional bruce irvin type pass rusher that was overdrafted. I obviously know that he only played 4 games and started two. You dodged my question, what did you see in college that makes him the no1 pick. He had a good year in 2012 (I believe) and basically took the year off in 2013. Why would you want a player that is lazy and takes plays off? He obviously didn't try his last year in college. 24 sacks means nothing to me when you don't try. I asked you because you supposed to be the smart draft guy here and I wanted an honest opinion that was valid, but it seems like you have to play the internet tough guy.

"Real tough guy on the internet huh?" you accused me of defending him with a generic argument and playing the politically correct game.......I don't like being accused of things...Do you?

"he's shown nothing but that he's a one dimensional bruce irvin type pass rusher"

I have no idea what film you watched that you thought was Clowney in college....But it wasn't Clowney

"what did you see in college that makes him the no 1 pick."

I never said he should have been the #1 pick...As a matter of fact I made it clear I thought the Texans should pass on him....Didn't think he was the most agile D Lineman...tight hips

"He obviously didn't try his last year in college."

your confusing getting double and triple teamed a lot for not trying, He had a hard time adjusting to that, Players have to go through adjustment periods....Players just don't put up insane production and then skate on through...They have to adjust

"24 sacks means nothing to me when you don't try."

you don't get 24 sacks not trying, Players adjust to players they face, He will have to do that or yes he could bust...I just don't think he will. 

"Real tough guy on the internet huh?" you accused me of defending him with a generic argument and playing the politically correct game.......I don't like being accused of things...Do you?

"he's shown nothing but that he's a one dimensional bruce irvin type pass rusher"

I have no idea what film you watched that you thought was Clowney in college....But it wasn't Clowney

"what did you see in college that makes him the no 1 pick."

I never said he should have been the #1 pick...As a matter of fact I made it clear I thought the Texans should pass on him....Didn't think he was the most agile D Lineman...tight hips

"He obviously didn't try his last year in college."

your confusing getting double and triple teamed a lot for not trying, He had a hard time adjusting to that, Players have to go through adjustment periods....Players just don't put up insane production and then skate on through...They have to adjust

"24 sacks means nothing to me when you don't try."

you don't get 24 sacks not trying, Players adjust to players they face, He will have to do that or yes he could bust...I just don't think he will. 

Fair enough, we'll see how he does next year. Just don't see a special quality out of him. He's not our problem. BTW, that wasn't meant as an insult with the politically correct comment, it's just that most people are afraid to make a bold prediction and I wanted to hear your prediction without the "he could do this or he could do this" both sides argument. I know you pay attention to college and the draft and maybe you knew someone about Clowney I didn't. It's not worth it to argue, I just don't think he is a good player. In fact, i think Whitney Mercilus is better than him. Take it for what you will, we'll agree to disagree. Hopefully I'm right so he won't be a threat to us on the Texans. :)

Probably because he's on a division rival and some just fear he will become a big time threat against Andrew Luck and Co. and just can't stomach that thought so it's wishful thinking for them I guess

The OP is a Pats fan, so that ain't it. That might apply to some, but it wasn't the fearful or jealous Colts fans that started the thread.

And in general, there's a "me first" mentality to making definitive statements about players, and I don't get it. I think Johnny Manziel is a terrible draft pick, and I don't think much of his QB skills, yet I think it's waaaaay premature to call him a bust. And it works the other way around, also. OBJ is a great talent, but I stop short of calling him the next great anything.

Probably because he's on a division rival and some just fear he will become a big time threat against Andrew Luck and Co. and just can't stomach that thought so it's wishful thinking for them I guess

Bustaveon doesn't concern me in the slightest.

The OP is a Pats fan, so that ain't it. That might apply to some, but it wasn't the fearful or jealous Colts fans that started the thread.

And in general, there's a "me first" mentality to making definitive statements about players, and I don't get it. I think Johnny Manziel is a terrible draft pick, and I don't think much of his QB skills, yet I think it's waaaaay premature to call him a bust. And it works the other way around, also. OBJ is a great talent, but I stop short of calling him the next great anything.

You can go ahead and call Johnny rehab a bust too.

He doesn't concern me, I was here on draft day and was celebrating when the Texans took Clowney. I was fearful they were going to take Mack or Bortles.

And it works the other way around, also. OBJ is a great talent, but I stop short of calling him the next great anything.

Slightly off topic but I have a keeper fantasy league and can only keep 3 players but I have 4 key guys..

Trying to decide between OBJ or Adrian Peterson as my 3rd keeper, do you buy into the year that OBJ had as a rookie and think he can sustain that?

(LeSean McCoy and Calvin Johnson are my other 2)

You can go ahead and call Johnny rehab a bust too.

Meh. I can't predict the future. He could wind up starting for the next 7 years and have a few good seasons. I don't think he will, but if he does, he's not a bust. I'm perfectly content to wait and see what happens. Labeling anyone a bust does me no good.

Slightly off topic but I have a keeper fantasy league and can only keep 3 players but I have 4 key guys..

Trying to decide between OBJ or Adrian Peterson as my 3rd keeper, do you buy into the year that OBJ had as a rookie and think he can sustain that?

(LeSean McCoy and Calvin Johnson are my other 2)

Slightly??? ;)

If it's a PPR league, I'd lean toward OBJ. Unless AP winds up on the Cowboys.

Well yea, I for one hopes he turns out alright to provide more excitement and trash talk when my Pops and I go to our yearly Colts vs Texans game. Just wish they can get a QB

Meh. I can't predict the future. He could wind up starting for the next 7 years and have a few good seasons. I don't think he will, but if he does, he's not a bust. I'm perfectly content to wait and see what happens. Labeling anyone a bust does me no good.

???

If you draft a QB in the first round and he turns out to be anything other than a "franchise QB" that's pretty much a busted pick. Unless you want the face of your franchise to have rolled up dollar bills stuck in his nose and 70s cocaine eyes, I don't see Manziel filling that role.

Oh in addition to not really seeming to care about actually being an NFL QB, there are also legitimate questions about if his game could actually translate into the NFL even if he worked 100% at it. Which he's not. Cause you know...the cocaine.

Plus it's really hard to rehab hungover.

???

If you draft a QB in the first round and he turns out to be anything other than a "franchise QB" that's pretty much a busted pick. Unless you want the face of your franchise to have rolled up dollar bills stuck in his nose and 70s cocaine eyes, I don't see Manziel filling that role.

Oh in addition to not really seeming to care about actually being an NFL QB, there are also legitimate questions about if his game could actually translate into the NFL even if he worked 100% at it. Which he's not. Cause you know...the cocaine.

Plus it's really hard to rehab hungover.

I disagree with the bolded. That's a pretty strict interpretation, and a standard that's hard to live up to. There's a lot of room between franchise QB and bust, and long term starter is somewhere in there. It wouldn't be what was hoped for, but I wouldn't call it a bust.

Of course, everyone has a different definition for what a bust is.

As for the critiques of Manziel and his game, I'm right there with you. I just see no reason to make a definitive statement at this point. He could find Jesus in rehab and come out with a new appreciation for his opportunity. It's unlikely, but it's possible.