Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Is Just Like Peyton...

I stand by what i said. Someone has to be the voice of reason in here.. you all want to put your chips on a washed up QB who has 2 years left in him on a team that needs rebuilding. With Manning back next year, even at his best, we will only go 8-8 or barely 9-7 depending on if we have an easy schedule.

I understand that he is nearing the end of his career but man, washed up is kinda taking it too far. Think of the teams that would love to have Peyton.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Vinateri should make the kick where u think the redshirt freshmen wouldnt. Your point is flawed

Exactly what kick are we talking about? AV made a kick longer than 50 yards to take the lead with just a little more than 1 minute left in the game. Then the special teams and caldwell calling time out let them kick a field goal to win it as time expired. Adam made the clutch kick that he always does.

Exactly what kick are we talking about? AV made a kick longer than 50 yards to take the lead with just a little more than 1 minute left in the game. Then the special teams and caldwell calling time out let them kick a field goal to win it as time expired. Adam made the clutch kick that he always does.

I know av made it thsts not the issue.

he made it seem like it was the same thing putting av in position to win a game and a putting a redshirt freshmen in place to kick a game winner and that's just not the same at all.

This is a very silly statement, Andrew Luck could get injured next season with one hit... so could anyone in the NFL for that matter. The what if game is not very reliable.

and THIS is a very silly statement. For you just proved WHY we need to take Luck instead of gambling with keeping Peyton. One hit and Peyton is done for sure given his durability. Luck has low mileage and thanks for proving me right, Ramblinwreck7. :)

and THIS is a very silly statement. For you just proved WHY we need to take Luck instead of gambling with keeping Peyton. One hit and Peyton is done for sure given his durability. Luck has low mileage and thanks for proving me right, Ramblinwreck7. :)

.......Your welcome?

"One hit and Peyton is done for sure?" Your proving your arrogance right then and there. You act like you know everything.

And what if Andrew Luck wants to pursue a career in pro sand volleyball?

the way he stutters during interviews, he always focuses on football and never really gets out of topic, and even the way he plays is similar to Peyton!

he is no where near PM. Not even close and will not put up the same stats as PM.

We will be lucky if he turns out at least half of what PM is.

Who cares about regular season stats. I want super bowls

I think that's the "Captain Obvious" choice of the century.

Naysayers like to hang their 'nay's on Manning's postseason performances, but you could just as easily blame his statistics on poor personnel management decisions at the end of seasons. More times than not during our brilliant regular season runs, it seems as if Polian genuinely put out the Colts' fire to end the seasons and the pilot light just couldn't pick it back up fast enough to carry us through a single elimination tournament.

the colts could take luck and he could turn out to be the best thing that happened or the worst thing you never no anything could happen we could trade the picks and then peytons gets injured and were >>>ed u dont no whos goin to be a bust or if hes goin to be better than pm anything can happen not everyone is guaranteed to be a star even if people say they are and no one cares about the stats really aslong as you win the superbowl thats what counts.

he is no where near PM. Not even close and will not put up the same stats as PM.

We will be lucky if he turns out at least half of what PM is.

Why not? Compare their stats in their final year of college.

Peyton Manning 1997

477 attempts 287 completions 60.37 % 3819 yards 11 INTS 37 TDS

Andrew Luck 2011

404 attempts 288 completions 71.3 % 3517 yards 10 INTS 37 TDS

Almost identical except Luck had a much better CMP%. Stop acting like there will never be great QBs again.

Why not? Compare their stats in their final year of college.

Peyton Manning 1997

477 attempts 287 completions 60.37 % 3819 yards 11 INTS 37 TDS

Andrew Luck 2011

404 attempts 288 completions 71.3 % 3517 yards 10 INTS 37 TDS

Almost identical except Luck had a much better CMP%. Stop acting like there will never be great QBs again.

Sam Bradford 2008

483 attempts 328 completions 67.9 % 4720 yards 8 INTS 50 TDS...

Sooo... what exactly was your point? It made almost no sense considering that college quarterbacks have better numbers almost every year.

Sam Bradford 2008

483 attempts 328 completions 67.9 % 4720 yards 8 INTS 50 TDS...

Sooo... what exactly was your point? It made almost no sense considering that college quarterbacks have better numbers almost every year.

Sam Bradford didn't play the pro style offense in college. But it's ridiculous to say that Andrew Luck will never be close to Peyton Manning or never put up the same stats just because you say he won't -- especially just because you're a Peyton fan first. If you're going to say that Luck won't be an elite QB, then give us facts. If you're not going to bring anything to the table then don't say anything because you're going to sound like a blind homer.

Call me weird, but I don't want him to be just like Manning. If the Colts draft him, I want him to be better than Manning. It may or may not happen. I also want him to have his own game style.

But this thread is a great example of why Luck would be less than thrilled to come to a Colts team with a healthy Manning. let's say Manning is healthy plays a couple of years and Luck sits behind him and learns and then Luck starts and is absolutely amazing, people will talk about how much he must have learned from Manning. IN the long run that won't matter but it could be like a Rocky 5 scenario then we would see Manning and Luck coming to fisticuffs outside with a Don King wanna be standing around encourging them while trying to sound like his discouraging it.

I'm just going to pay attention to what Mark Barron does and maybe Morris Claiborne. Not really interested in this year's game. It should be Oklahoma State vs LSU.

Looked like LSU shouldn't have been there period. Alabama's D line ate that oline for lunch. Ouch....

Two words.....beat down.

Sam Bradford didn't play the pro style offense in college. But it's ridiculous to say that Andrew Luck will never be close to Peyton Manning or never put up the same stats just because you say he won't -- especially just because you're a Peyton fan first. If you're going to say that Luck won't be an elite QB, then give us facts. If you're not going to bring anything to the table then don't say anything because you're going to sound like a blind homer.

Sam Bradford did in fact play in a pro style offense in college. Do I have to explain that he took snaps under center, that he handed off to the runningbacks, that he played in the shotgun, that he did bootleg playaction plays, that he ran the hurry up offense? What exactly is a "pro style offense" then since you act like you know what it is. It must not involve formations like the Ace, I-form, and shotgun, since Oklahoma utilizes them all...

like I said, Manning won a SB and has potential to win more.

Luck might never even go to the SB. I mean how many QB's really get to go? It's like winning a lottery, It's all about right things happening etc etc.

There is a 99% probability that Luck will never win a Super Bowl. Sad but True.

Sam Bradford did in fact play in a pro style offense in college. Do I have to explain that he took snaps under center, that he handed off to the runningbacks, that he played in the shotgun, that he did bootleg playaction plays, that he ran the hurry up offense? What exactly is a "pro style offense" then since you act like you know what it is. It must not involve formations like the Ace, I-form, and shotgun, since Oklahoma utilizes them all...

i was thinking the same thing.

I'm just wondering, but why do people think Andrew Luck has a similar playing style to Peyton Manning? Andrew Luck runs more than Peyton and other quarterbacks call plays from the line of scrimmage.

The way he reads the defense,calls the olay he thinks is best, sim size, they kinda sound alike and they both were great college qbs. Luck has an excellent football iq as well he's first in last out type of guy and a great leader.

The way he reads the defense,calls the olay he thinks is best, sim size, they kinda sound alike and they both were great college qbs. Luck has an excellent football iq as well he's first in last out type of guy and a great leader.

Sorry, but you don't know how Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck reads a defense. That's really hard to quantify because they are different people, no one is the same. And what do you mean sound alike lol? Your reaching with that one ;)

Kirk Herbstreit probably knows more about how Andrew Luck reads defenses, at least in this one instance. Note his analysis here:

I was going to say something like no one thinks alike and how everyone transits through information differently. Then I watched the video... and it wasn't as impressive as Kirk Herbstreit puts it. Andrew Luck saw that his tight ends were double covered, so he looked outside to his wide receivers. His offensive line gave him plenty of time to throw the ball, so all he has to do is wait till a guy gets open.

Come on Kirk Herbstreit, your telling me that Andrew Luck is the only quarterback who goes through his progressions to find the open man? Give me a break.

I was going to say something like no one thinks alike and how everyone transits through information differently. Then I watched the video... and it wasn't as impressive as Kirk Herbstreit puts it. Andrew Luck saw that his tight ends were double covered, so he looked outside to his wide receivers. His offensive line gave him a ton of time to throw the ball, so all he has to do is wait till a guy gets open.

Come on Kirk Herbstreit, your telling me that Andrew Luck is the only quarterback who goes through his progressions to find the open man? Give me a break.

I was going to say something like no one thinks alike and how everyone transits through information differently. Then I watched the video... and it wasn't as impressive as Kirk Herbstreit puts it. Andrew Luck saw that his tight ends were double covered, so he looked outside to his wide receivers. His offensive line gave him plenty of time to throw the ball, so all he has to do is wait till a guy gets open.

That's not what I saw on the video. What I saw was Luck going through his progressions, and threw the ball to where his WR was going to be open. At the time he released the ball, the WR was not open. From what analysts have been saying, I gather that not all college-level QBs go through their entire progression, and not many throw their receivers open.

That's not what I saw on the video. What I saw was Luck going through his progressions, and threw the ball to where his WR was going to be open. At the time he released the ball, the WR was not open. From what analysts have been saying, I gather that not all college-level QBs go through their entire progression, and not many throw their receivers open.

To add on to what you've already mentioned, Luck did not have all day to throw. The entire play lasted about 4 seconds and Luck released the ball in 2.5 seconds, it was a slant/ in route so it couldn't have taken too long.

I can understand why you may not be impressed, Ramblinwreck. It was just one play and it looked rather simple. However, if you add this type of play and Luck's ability to read defenses for an entire season that resulted in a 71% completion percentage, it starts to become more impressive. Also, defensive coordinators will plan for Luck, knowing that Luck is a very good QB. They will do their best to disguise coverages and pressure him, yet Luck has been consistent all year. If you take all of that into consideration, it does become very impressive.

You probably correct, most college quarterbacks probably don't go throught their entire progressions. One reason for that is they don't have time too, or they are just to nervous out their. You have to admit that Andrew Luck has forever sometimes to go through all of his progressions. All he has to do is wait till one of his receivers or TE's gets open.

And about the part about throwing receivers open, that's not what Luck did. It was the route ran by the WR and Luck new the route. The receiver had inside leverage on the CB so that's right when he's going to cut inside, which is right when Luck should throw the ball. If the QB waits till the WR has no one around him to throw the ball, then that gap where the WR is will close and he won't be open anymore.

To add on to what you've already mentioned, Luck did not have all day to throw. The entire play lasted about 4 seconds and Luck released the ball in 2.5 seconds, it was a slant/ in route so it couldn't have taken too long.

I can understand why you may not be impressed, Ramblinwreck. It was just one play and it looked rather simple. However, if you add this type of play and Luck's ability to read defenses for an entire season that resulted in a 71% completion percentage, it starts to become more impressive. Also, defensive coordinators will plan for Luck, knowing that Luck is a very good QB. They will do their best to disguise coverages and pressure him, yet Luck has been consistent all year. If you take all of that into consideration, it does become very impressive.

2.5 seconds is enough for a QB to go through 2 double covered TE's and then to throw it at the WR.

You probably correct, most college quarterbacks probably don't go throught their entire progressions. One reason for that is they don't have time too, or they are just to nervous out their. You have to admit that Andrew Luck has forever sometimes to go through all of his progressions. All he has to do is wait till one of his receivers or TE's gets open.

And about the part about throwing receivers open, that's not what Luck did. It was the route ran by the WR and Luck new the route. The receiver had inside leverage on the CB so that's right when he's going to cut inside, which is right when Luck should throw the ball. If the QB waits till the WR has no one around him to throw the ball, then that gap where the WR is will close and he won't be open anymore.

What I saw in the video was Luck releasing the ball before the receiver was open. So, your comment about Luck taking his time behind his OL and waiting until the receiver was open is incorrect, at least for the play that was analyzed in the video. Yes, Luck knew the routes of his receiver, and that was why he could throw to a spot where he knew his receiver would catch it.

What I saw in the video was Luck releasing the ball before the receiver was open. So, your comment about Luck taking his time behind his OL and waiting until the receiver was open is incorrect, at least for the play that was analyzed in the video. Yes, Luck knew the routes of his receiver, and that was why he could throw to a spot where he knew his receiver would catch it.

Hey, maybe I think 2.5 seconds is a lot of time lol? Our quarterbacks this year didn't always get 2.5 seconds.