Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Perfect Offseason, In My Eyes

Smitto

1. Jim Caldwell or BP is gone

2. Peytons contract is reworked

3. Colts trade down in the draft with the Browns

4. Colts draft Robert Griffin III

5. Cots draft Devon Still DT with 24th pick in first round from browns... or Dre Kirkpatrick- Corner

Those moves arent too far from possiblity and they would set the colts on the right track to becoming a real contender in the now and the future. With Caldwell gone the colts can bring in a much better Coach who has a set plan and who is able to manage and adjust on the fly during games... with BP gone... well anythings possible.

1. Jim Caldwell, BP, and Clyde Christenson are gone

5. Colts draft Dre Kirkpatrick- Corner, this team is in desperate need of a shutdown corner

6. Bring in an aggressive minded defensive coordinator. Not someone that will put us in a 3-4 and blitz two or three LBs every play, but someone that plays man coverage rather than zone, and isn't afraid to bring Wheeler on a blitz.

7. Jeff Saturday retires and stays on as the new Offensive Coordinator.

8. Mike Zimmer - head coach

9. Me - GM. I love football and GMing is such an inexact science I feel it's not as hard as they make it out to be. You're going to have misses, but you're also going to have hits. Even if you just used Mel Kiper's board you'd still get quality players, not that I would, but it just shows that picking players is mostly just a guessing game. I'd go for guys with a lot of work ethic, no notable injury history, and basically I'd just trust my gut feeling. The difference between me and Polian though, I would listen to other's ideas, would not hinder the defense, and I would have a better weekly radio show. I am officially throwing my hat in the ring for the soon to be vacant position of Colts President of Football Operations.

^^^^^^my perfect offseason

1. Jim Caldwell or BP is gone

5. Cots draft Devon Still DT with 24th pick in first round from browns... or Dre Kirkpatrick- Corner

Those moves arent too far from possiblity and they would set the colts on the right track to becoming a real contender in the now and the future. With Caldwell gone the colts can bring in a much better Coach who has a set plan and who is able to manage and adjust on the fly during games... with BP gone... well anythings possible.

I don't see RGIII as an NFL QB, he might do okay, but I just don't think his game (see Andre Ware) is suited for the NFL game....

I don't see RGIII as an NFL QB, he might do okay, but I just don't think his game (see Andre Ware) is suited for the NFL game....

You do know RGIII stats are better than Luck's own right? not to mention he rather stay in the pocket and complete passes, he has much more skills than luck thats for sure, he's just not as polished, and when i say that i mean nfl ready as luck.. but with time behind peyton he would be invaluable.

RG III is a much better college QB than Can Newton was so I think he will be fine. He may not be a superstar QB but I think he will do well.

Whats really going to happen

1. Jim Caldwell will probaly stay but I wouldn't mind a change

2. Peytons contract WILL BE reworked

3. Colts pick A. Luck to sit behind mannining for 2 yrs

4. Colts make special teams coaching change

5. Cots draft heavily on the defense side of the ball

I agree with this, BP is still good at evaluating talent, as for caldwell idk what he's good at.

BP seems to be the best evaluator of talent after the fact. Dalton and Yates are starting and playing well and now he says, "Oh, I was going to draft them but someone else beat me to them." By the way, I thought Chris Polian was the the GM and making the drafting decisions but apparently BP is still at the helm.

Doesn't matter who is the special teams coach as long as we continue to employ UDFAs and other teams' 3rd stringers.

I dont think any of this is for sure especially the part about luck sitting for two years... thats just madness lol.

BP seems to be the best evaluator of talent after the fact. Dalton and Yates are starting and playing well and now he says, "Oh, I was going to draft them but someone else beat me to them." By the way, I thought Chris Polian was the the GM and making the drafting decisions but apparently BP is still at the helm.

That is true, thats why i think if the colts really had a good coach coaching this team the colts wouldnt have had that bad of a season, but nah he's not ever since 06 chris polian have been making decisions on who to draft with his dads help but now its all CP.

You do know RGIII stats are better than Luck's own right? not to mention he rather stay in the pocket and complete passes, he has much more skills than luck thats for sure, he's just not as polished, and when i say that i mean nfl ready as luck.. but with time behind peyton he would be invaluable.

I'd be willing to bet money (which I don't have) that, if you polled the 32 general managers and head coaches in the nfl, more than 50 of them would take Luck over RGIII. That is not to say that RGIII will not be a great QB, but I do not think he will be better than Luck.

I just dont see RG3 being a bust he has The best acuracy of this QB draft clas, he the most athletic, he has good arm strength, and he and luck are easily the most intelligent. Easily going to be a good QB maybe. Not elite but good

I think we would be good drafting either RGIII, Barkley, or Luck. The trick is how do we do this and still have enough picks to address WR, CB, SS, DT, and OG? Again, these conversations hinge so much on what Peyton looks like in March/April. If he is really looking good then QB is not a need and trading down for as many good picks as we can get makes sense. If not, we draft either Luck or the next best QB in this draft then go get some of the other spots of need filled.

The thing you have to remember is that the only teams with 2 picks in the first round are the Browns and the Pats and the Pats are way down at the bottom (around 29 and 30 @the moment). This means really the Browns are the only trade partners with us unless you are talking about future drafts or later rounds in which case QB is not going to be an option. So let's say we trade to the Browns. You can guess the picks will go something like this:

Cleveland - Luck (QB)

Minnesota - Kalil (OT)

St. Louis - Blackmon (WR)

Washington - RGIII (QB) or possibly Barkley who knows with Shanahan

Jacksonville - Claiborne (CB) or possible Richardson even though they have Pocket Hercules

Carolina - Couples (DT)

Miama - RGIII or Barkley (QB) whichever of the two is available

Colts - Oops...the top 3 quarterbacks are gone. Gotta settle with Landry Jones or the next best guy. Hey, the best receiver, cornerback, and DT are also off the board...we got really screwed in this draft...dang.

My point being is that we are going to go 0-16 this year and when this type of season happens you gotta take your shot at a getting a legend. Not trading down. If Manning is perfect I would be happy with us standing pat at 1 then drafting Luck and trading him for more picks and proven players rather than take a chance at trading down.

I guess the other alternative is to call 2012 a bust too and go for back to back 0-16 seasons and have like 15 picks in 2013.

That is true, thats why i think if the colts really had a good coach coaching this team the colts wouldnt have had that bad of a season, but nah he's not ever since 06 chris polian have been making decisions on who to draft with his dads help but now its all CP.

Which means Chris Polian needs to go too. I know everyone is focused on Bill Polian, but I think our recent personnel issues fall more on Chris Polian.

1. Polian/ Caldwell goes

2. Peyton gets healthy

3. We get Luck with 1st overall and a good cover corner with with the 33rd over all pick. Hopefully Jayron Hosely out of Virginia Tech if he is still on the board. He can play both man and zone coverage, plus he can reurn punts to help us in the return game. Look at the impact Patrick Peterson has had over in Arizona this year.

4. We resign Pierre Garcon and Robert Mathis

I'd be willing to bet money (which I don't have) that, if you polled the 32 general managers and head coaches in the nfl, more than 50 of them would take Luck over RGIII. That is not to say that RGIII will not be a great QB, but I do not think he will be better than Luck.

I will bet you your wrong, andrew luck looks good but lets crown him when he starts playing in the NFL.. as of now the man with the better stats is better not to mention you cant ignore his speed... one thing that separates him than other QB's like vick and young is the way he carries his self and his background that will definitely help him in the future. Only thing that separates RGIII from Luck is luck being "nfl ready".

I think we would be good drafting either RGIII, Barkley, or Luck. The trick is how do we do this and still have enough picks to address WR, CB, SS, DT, and OG? Again, these conversations hinge so much on what Peyton looks like in March/April. If he is really looking good then QB is not a need and trading down for as many good picks as we can get makes sense. If not, we draft either Luck or the next best QB in this draft then go get some of the other spots of need filled.

The thing you have to remember is that the only teams with 2 picks in the first round are the Browns and the Pats and the Pats are way down at the bottom (around 29 and 30 @the moment). This means really the Browns are the only trade partners with us unless you are talking about future drafts or later rounds in which case QB is not going to be an option. So let's say we trade to the Browns. You can guess the picks will go something like this:

Cleveland - Luck (QB)

Minnesota - Kalil (OT)

Jacksonville - Claiborne (CB) or possible Richardson even though they have Pocket Hercules

Carolina - Couples (DT)

Colts - Oops...the top 3 quarterbacks are gone. Gotta settle with Landry Jones or the next best guy. Hey, the best receiver, cornerback, and DT are also off the board...we got really screwed in this draft...dang.

My point being is that we are going to go 0-16 this year and when this type of season happens you gotta take your shot at a getting a legend. Not trading down. If Manning is perfect I would be happy with us standing pat at 1 then drafting Luck and trading him for more picks and proven players rather than take a chance at trading down.

I guess the other alternative is to call 2012 a bust too and go for back to back 0-16 seasons and have like 15 picks in 2013.

Wow i totally forgot about miami, but both teams are 4-9... i guess we just have to hope miami wins more games than the browns

I think Luck is the real deal. Hes not on that great of a team. He makes them good IMO

I will bet you your wrong, andrew luck looks good but lets crown him when he starts playing in the NFL.. as of now the man with the better stats is better not to mention you cant ignore his speed... one thing that separates him than other QB's like vick and young is the way he carries his self and his background that will definitely help him in the future. Only thing that separates RGIII from Luck is luck being "nfl ready".

Ben isn't fast, Tom isn't fast, Peyton isn't fast....being fast is nice, but I will take Luck over speed and take my chances...

Cleveland - Luck (QB)

Minnesota - Kalil (OT)

Carolina - Couples (DT)

Cincy also has two picks and as it stands right now your draft order is a bit off:

1. Indianapolis Colts - 0-13 (.550)

2. St. Louis Rams - 2-11 (.556)

3. Minnesota Vikings - 2-11 (.574)

4. Washington Redskins - 4-9 (.479)

5. Carolina Panthers - 4-9 (.479)

6. Cleveland Browns - 4-9 (.497)

7. Miami Dolphins - 4-9 (.509)

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - 4-9 (.533)

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 4-9 (.550)

10. Kansas City Chiefs - 5-8 (.479)

It's absolutely comical to see all these reactionary fans all of a sudden jump onto the RG3 bandwagon.

I for one was never on this whole andrew luck nonsense, i look at how a QB plays when he's needed and ive seen RGIII do that plenty of times.

I consider that another Polian fabrication. Yates was taken in the 5th round. Whats was he waiting for next year. I have come to the conclusion Polian is like a politican. You can tell he is lying because his lips are moving.

Your first sentence just isn't true, or at least the way you present it isn't truthful.

I don't know about Yates, but he made same comments about Dalton last summer.

I consider that another Polian fabrication. Yates was taken in the 5th round. Whats was he waiting for next year. I have come to the conclusion Polian is like a politican. You can tell he is lying because his lips are moving.

Yeah lol, how can you say you would have drafted Yates if you didn't take Ijalana. Ij was in the 2nd round, Yates was in the 5th. More Polianspeak.

I'd rather not have given up the Ijalana pick, or the Nevis pick, but Carter is just an average back and Yates may have proven more valuable.

Yeah lol, how can you say you would have drafted Yates if you didn't take Ijalana. Ij was in the 2nd round, Yates was in the 5th. More Polianspeak.

I'd rather not have given up the Ijalana pick, or the Nevis pick, but Carter is just an average back and Yates may have proven more valuable.

What exactly did Polian say about Yates?

If he had Yates spotted as a 6th or 7th rounder, and would have taken him then, if available, then I see nothing wrong with his statement.

But, I didn't hear the comment.

Your first sentence just isn't true, or at least the way you present it isn't truthful.

I don't know about Yates, but he made same comments about Dalton last summer.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12/12/2631885/recap-of-the-bill-polian-show-week-14-2011

Polian said the Colts were planning to draft T.J. Yates in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. The Texans took him earlier. Polian said that the Colts should have taken Yates earlier. Ironically, Houston drafted Yates in the 5th Round using the draft pick the Colts sent to the Washington Redskins in the trade for Ben Ijalana. Ijalana has bee out since Week Four with a knee injury.

http://www.stampedeb...ow-week-14-2011

Polian said the Colts were planning to draft T.J. Yates in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. The Texans took him earlier. Polian said that the Colts should have taken Yates earlier. Ironically, Houston drafted Yates in the 5th Round using the draft pick the Colts sent to the Washington Redskins in the trade for Ben Ijalana. Ijalana has bee out since Week Four with a knee injury.

That all sounds reasonable.

I don't see the issue.

That all sounds reasonable.

I don't see the issue.

The issue is that he says these things in retrospect trying to somehow vindicate himself. He knew he should have taken a QB early in the draft and he didn't so he's name dropping QBs that he could have gotten and making excuses as to why he didn't draft them. Ironically, Yates and Dalton are starting and playing well so he has to say someone beat him to them so he can vindicate himself.

Polian also said he wishes he had taken Yates in the 5th round but the Texans got to him first. The problem is we didn't even have a 5th round pick! Now he wishes he had chosen Yates over Carter.

You're right though. It all sounds reasonable in retrospect.

Here's another article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApVDmJ08vFKwcdeJV1Cjnjr.uLYF?slug=ycn-10674001