Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Newsome!

BlueCollarColts

How about this guy? A 5th round pick no one expected much out of at all, and he is really proving his worth as a pass rusher. 4.5 sacks so far this season, and he is only a rookie! Manusky needs this guy on the field in every passing situation, he can just get to the QB a lot better than any of our current QB's. This guy's ceiling is incredibly high. 

4.5 sacks is far from spectacular, even for a rookie.

Considering he is not a every down guy it is. Newsome has been the most impressive young man on the defensive side of the ball. You don't have to be the one dude, or dudette who just says stuff to be the opposite of everyone else. 

I absolutely love Jonathan Newsome, but yeah the sky is the limit for this kid. I loved how he beat Trent Williams. I know Williams wasn't 100% but he's still one of the best LT's in the league. We got a real steal and I think we're looking at a double digit sack guy for the next several years. I also want to point out that aside from Newsome being a beast rushing the passer, he's also setting the edge and defending the run well.

Mathis had a spectacular rookie year, he was the teams BEST special team'r...    And that is huge.

Mathis had baller written all over his play in year one.   

Okay?

I guess Mathis didn't have a great rookie year. What does that have to do with Newsome this season?

Considering he is not a every down guy it is. You don't have to be the one dude, or dudette who just says stuff to be the opposite of everyone else.

I'm not being that dude.

No one outside of this forum would describe Newsome as spectacular this season. Its not like I'm saying Luck sucks or something.

Then the defense is trash cause he leads the team in sacks

@KBowenColts: Jonathan Newsome continuing to produce as his rookie year moves along. Now tied for the team league with 4.0 sacks.

Strong logic there, bud.

The sacks are spread across the defense with several guys having multiple sacks.

Where did I say anything or anyone was "trash"?

I'm not being that dude.

No one outside of this forum would describe Newsome as spectacular this season. Its not like I'm saying Luck sucks or something.

Plenty of people would, and are saying his play has been spectacular for a rookie if you look around. I will live it at that.

Pretty awful logic there.

"If Trent Richardson is so bad, why is he still starting?"

But you're right. He's not been amazing. Very promising though.

What are you talking about? My logic is the exact opposite of your example.

I'm asking why he isn't playing more if he's so good. Trent sucks and is seeing less snaps. I don't see what you're getting at?

Does anyone know how his sack numbers compare to the 1st round stud type of pass rushing rookies?  I bet he has more than most.

Clowney has 0

Mack has 1

Barr has 4

Ford has 0.5

Smith hasn't really played much for Philly.

Our Boy Newsome has 4.5 and Aaron Lynch has 5.

What are you talking about? My logic is the exact opposite of your example.

I'm asking why he isn't playing more if he's so good. Trent sucks and is seeing less snaps. I don't see what you're getting at?

You're implying that if he was good he'd have more playing time. With this coaching staff, that is not true. This team went 3/4 of the seasin watching Hakeem Nicks limp around the field before they played the clearly better option.

Clowney has 0

Mack has 1

Barr has 4

Ford has 0.5

Smith hasn't really played much for Philly.

Our Boy Newsome has 4.5 and Aaron Lynch has 5.

Up till this week Ford only played in 50 defensive snaps, Clowney 143 defensive snaps, Lynch 390 defensive snaps, Mack 712 defensive snaps, Barr 723 defensive snaps, Smith 68 defensive snaps.....None of those numbers I just listed cover this weeks snaps.....Those numbers wont come out till some time during the week, I think Tuesday http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

I've been saying all year you always notice him when he's out there.  He's a heck of a find by Grigson. Grigson might not have had many picks in last years draft but he made them count.  Mewhort has been rock solid at left guard.  Moncrief was a steal in the third round and Newsome has been a play maker.  Jackson is starting to see some action on special teams.  The only one we haven't seen in the Tackle who went on IR before the season started. 

Up till this week Ford only played in 50 defensive snaps, Clowney 143 defensive snaps, Lynch 390 defensive snaps, Mack 712 defensive snaps, Barr 723 defensive snaps, Smith 68 defensive snaps.....None of those numbers I just listed cover this weeks snaps.....Those numbers wont come out till some time during the week, I think Tuesday http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Forgot to mention Newsome had 234 defensive snaps. His snap/sack ratio is quite high compared to his fellow rookie pass rushers (pending the snap counts for this week).

I understand that, and I hope he does have a bright future, but people on here comparing him to Mathis based on their rookie seasons are jumping the gun in my opinion.

In many peoples opinion you are undervaluing him. He's been really good with limited opportunities. If you don't agree that's fine. Be happy he's playing well.

Bottom line is "get your talent on the field" ....       screw all this "age" "dues" and hierarchy nonsense.

The BEST players need to play ... regardless of length of service.     

Hear that ChucK?   

I'm with you, and I think as they come to the finish line a lot of these younger players will see the lions share of playing time.

How about this guy? A 5th round pick no one expected much out of at all, and he is really proving his worth as a pass rusher. 4.5 sacks so far this season, and he is only a rookie! Manusky needs this guy on the field in every passing situation, he can just get to the QB a lot better than any of our current QB's. This guy's ceiling is incredibly high. 

didn't know our qbs get after other qbs?  or was that a typo?  haha funny im the only one that noticed that.