Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 11/13 "Patriots Game"

sb41champs

For the perspective from here on the Dark Side...

The rivalry has lost a lot of its oomph. With Manning, the Colts hurt the Patriots at times, starting with that '06 AFCCG. Since he's left, Indy hasn't really gotten in New England's way very much.

That could all change starting this Sunday, of course. But Pats-Colts doesn't have the same "feel" that it used to. For me anyway.

For the perspective from here on the Dark Side...

The rivalry has lost a lot of its oomph. With Manning, the Colts hurt the Patriots at times, starting with that '06 AFCCG. Since he's left, Indy hasn't really gotten in New England's way very much.

That could all change starting this Sunday, of course. But Pats-Colts doesn't have the same "feel" that it used to. For me anyway.

Yeah, I figured for Pats fans it was more about Manning/Brady than the Colts. We still have to figure out how to beat you guys with the new regime. Hopefully that comes this Sunday.  ;)

:blueshoe: Is the Patriots & Colts rivalry one that is based on Brady vs Manning - or - has it morphed in to a TEAM rivalry ?? :blueshoe:

Brady vs Peyton

As important as this and other Luck/Brady games have been , this is no longer a fierce rivalry. There's no one on the Colts that Patriot fans genuinely dislike; Polian and Peyton are gone.

Luck's a likeabl kid, and Wayne has always been a good guy.

Brady vs Peyton

As important as this and other Luck/Brady games have been , this is no longer a fierce rivalry. There's no one on the Colts that Patriot fans genuinely dislike; Polian and Peyton are gone.

Luck's a likeabl kid, and Wayne has always been a good guy.

I appreciate that VL. Thank you. 

I will say this though if Luck can play in Foxboro in the snow & not turn the ball over multiple times Andrew has the possibility to carry this rivalry to new heights that it never experienced under Manning. I say that because of Ryan Grigson our GM who has given our lines girth vs pure speed alone. 

Time will tell I guess...

I would be curious (impossible to honestly know at this present time) if Colts' fans will feel an intense rivalry with the Patriots when Brady and BB are gone.

They are the two constants in this situation.

That is an excellent question VL. Will Bill remain longer in Foxboro now that his son is a paid member of the staff now? Jimmy G. is also a promising young QB talent too so there is a capable successor already in place.

My only point is this: Yes, potential doesn't = elite status, but if you already have a 2nd string QB who continues to grow & make positive strides, it might make the grey hoodie put retirement on the backburner longer. 

Not only that but BB is an exceptional HC. What else is gonna satisfy his creative juices? Bill would be bored out of his skull fishing 24/7 trust me. 

VL's inference is accurate though. "As important as this and other Luck/Brady games have been , this is no longer a fierce rivalry."

Until Luck knocks off Brady in a Playoff game under a new INDY regime, no rivalry exists yet. Good point. I agree 100%

Winning in the post season is all that matters. Not MVP Awards, Not ProBowls, Not passing yards per season. 

Except that most of us have been here for years.

That may be true but there is no doubt there has been more Pats fans on the board the last week talking about the game and it's importance . Also the standard NE trolls not you but there have been plenty .

That may be true but there is no doubt there has been more Pats fans on the board the last week talking about the game and it's importance . Also the standard NE trolls not you but there have been plenty .

Actually I've seen far more trolls years past than this time.  I think there's been like 2 or 3. It's just that the noise they make gives the appearance of more :)

I'm gonna be honest. I view this matchup as a rivalry but part of my fondness for this confrontation stems from Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady. Luck needs to get some NE victories 1st. 

Once Andrew does this, it officially becomes a rivalry not before. I think Chewbacca [Luck] is ready to take the next step this weekend, but talk is cheap I'll admit. It's time Luck. 

Like always if INDY loses, I will still be here. I don't run. If the Pats win, I will give your squad credit. That's how I roll. 

I'm not capitulating anything BTW. All I really want see is better ball security & I'm supremely confident in Luck. 

Wow, a creepy stalker.

I've been here all season, Mr. stalker. Why a Pats/Broncos game has anything to do with my presence here, I don't know.

In the nfl general section you strongly suggested the broncos had zero chance of winning. The pats lose and you didn't come back for months.

Its still a rivalry. Just check the front page of this forum.

This is going to sound incredibly arrogant, and though I don't mean it that way, there's no other way to say it...

It's not going to be a rivalry until Luck beats the Patriots. He's only had two shots at them but has been outscored 102-46 in those two games. 

Like I said above, maybe that changes this weekend. 

For a real rivalry, there's got to be a mutual animosity. I understand that Indy still hates Brady and the Patriots, but for us, Indy is just this week's opponent and a competitor in the conference. Like VL said, Luck is a likable guy, and any decent person has been rooting for Pagano since his recovery from cancer. 

Back in the day, before Manning got over the hump, I was far more critical of him and had far less respect for him as a player. I thought he was an empty stats machine incapable of playing big in big spots. But he earned the respect of Patriots fans (even if we think Brady is better  ;) ) and at the same time, as he became an obstacle, he earned our disdain! Dungy I sort of always disliked, even though he comes off as a nice guy. I just found him disingenuous. 

So I don't know, I respect the Colts and they're officially my pick this weekend, but I'm not feelin' it just yet. Let's check in again on Monday.  ;)

This is going to sound incredibly arrogant, and though I don't mean it that way, there's no other way to say it...

It's not going to be a rivalry until Luck beats the Patriots. He's only had two shots at them but has been outscored 102-46 in those two games.

Like I said above, maybe that changes this weekend.

For a real rivalry, there's got to be a mutual animosity. I understand that Indy still hates Brady and the Patriots, but for us, Indy is just this week's opponent and a competitor in the conference. Like VL said, Luck is a likable guy, and any decent person has been rooting for Pagano since his recovery from cancer.

Back in the day, before Manning got over the hump, I was far more critical of him and had far less respect for him as a player. I thought he was an empty stats machine incapable of playing big in big spots. But he earned the respect of Patriots fans (even if we think Brady is better ;) ) and at the same time, as he became an obstacle, he earned our disdain! Dungy I sort of always disliked, even though he comes off as a nice guy. I just found him disingenuous.

So I don't know, I respect the Colts and they're officially my pick this weekend, but I'm not feelin' it just yet. Let's check in again on Monday. ;)

I dont disagree with everything you wrote, but its still a rivalry for some though no doubt. This is a huge game sunday night so that could make it bigger again depending on how it ends

I would be curious (impossible to honestly know at this present time) if Colts' fans will feel an intense rivalry with the Patriots when Brady and BB are gone.

i'm curious too.....when BB leaves will you change your picture?