Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do we stop the Patriots?

bap1331

Soooo...how do we stop the Patriots? The fact that the defense cant get pressure on offenses, even ones that are not that great, worries me. The Patriots ARE capable of scoring every drive unless Brady is off sync with his receivers which is really rare.

Screen Passes: The problem is that if you dont get Brady right away, he will throw a screen pass to a receiver or runningback and they will gain like 60 to 80 yards. They are the kings of screen passes. Someone needs contain and watch those receivers. Those are HUGE killers and tire defenses out REALLY fast. The bigger problem is that the defense is worst at passing plays. I mean look what Odell Beckham did to our defense and that is just ONE player!

Absolutely NO TURNOVERS: Patriots will demolish the other team the second they make a turnover. Especially if you give Brady a chance. Luck really needs to minimize his mistakes here.

Gronkowski: What do you do with this guy? I mean Toler and Vontae will watch their guys but this one really worries me.

NO HUDDLE OFFENSE: Bellichick knows that is the Colts defense weakness. Team should work on drills preparing for this. They did it last year, they will do it again. If they keep Brady off the field, he wont do this because he knows he has to rush to score.

Our solution:

Just like any strategy, keep Brady off the field. He tends to go off sync when he doesnt play, whereas Peyton can play 5 minutes in a 60 minute game and still come back like he did with the Dolphins years back. Brady was way off last year when he faced the Broncos last year in the AFC Championship. You can tell he was getting desperate.

Pound the defense with the running game, tire them out.

Rough up the Patriots wide receivers. We saw it yesterday against the Broncos. They threw Sanders, Tamme, and Thomas off sync with this because they werent expecting it. I have absolutely no idea how they did this without getting penalized. They did this against the Colts in 2004 playoffs. When they do the unexpected, the other team doesnt know how to respond. Bellichick will play dirty to win.

This is a huge game with home advantage in the playoffs. If the Broncos and Pats tie, Pats will have the advantage for winning. If the Pats, win this game, they will probably end up getting Home Field advantage in the playoffs and no one wants to face them in Gillette.

Kind of off-topic, but is Zach Kerr the best UDFA so far in 2014? 3 sacks and he has been a wrecking ball int he run game so far.

Anyway, i would like to see Newsome get some more reps in passing situations, he can get after the quarterback, but he can be a bit of a liability against the run with his smaller size, if he can add some weight he will be a beast. 

I hope we :cuss: slap them!!

I really really really hate that team!! Their fans * me off too.

I agree. How many times have the Colts and Broncos gone to the Pats to Gillette stadium the past few years? I think the Broncos have gone like 3 years in a row. Its time they come to our house! lol

We're going to have trouble stopping Gronk with our LB's, going to have to double him. Since we're home that gives us the edge. I think we'll win and Luck will throw for over 350 yards with 3 TD's.

Colts 35 - Patriots 21

I really hope so and shock the football world. SOOOO tired of hearing about Peyton and Brady. But I kind of dont want the Colts to get attention either. That tends to get the media all hyped up about a team and curse their season. Like the Cowboys and the Broncos.

I really hope so and shock the football world. SOOOO tired of hearing about Peyton and Brady. But I kind of dont want the Colts to get attention either. That tends to get the media all hyped up about a team and curse their season. Like the Cowboys and the Broncos.

If we beat the Patriots we could win out and get a 1st round bye. The Pats still have to play Rodgers, Rivers, Stafford, and Tannehill. I think they could lose two or three of those games.

Correct and Peyton has been 4 years in a row. I'm sure the NFL could figure out no other way to make the schedule fair.

are you serious? so when does Brady come to Denver for 4 years in a row? Brady better come 3 more years to Indy...

Something is rigged :suspicious:

are you serious? so when does Brady come to Denver for 4 years in a row? Brady better come 3 more years to Indy...

Something is rigged :suspicious:

Wait til their fans see this they will have some stupid excuse for why it's that way they are by far the most annoying fans ever the patriots can do no wrong whatsoever

I thought our defense put a fair amount of pressure on Eli.    Not a lot of sacks,  but a lot of pressure.

There was good reason why Manning was hurrying and missing his throws all night.....    pressure from the Colts.

Could there have been more?    Sure.    But there was enough......

Fun fact. Due to weird NFL scheduling rules, the Patriots will play 10 regular season home games next season.

Nothing to do with slimy Robert Kraft.

Hey now that's a great franchise they deserve everyone's respect for what they have done!! Look at those championships**?

haha losers

We do have an actual pass rush.... One bad game against Pitt and now all the sudden we don't have a pass rush. Is it elite or top 10? No, but we can apply pressure.

We haven't been the same since Walden went out..

Last night we barely had a pass rush. Tom Brady isn't someone you let stand around In the pocket.

How are they gonna stop us?  Let's see if they can outscore us.  If we don't turn the ball over, I bet they can't.

Who has stopped us?  We have.  That's it.  No opponent has.  We've stopped ourselves with turnovers.  Even in the losses we're averaging 28 points and 435 yards a game. 

How are they gonna stop us?  Let's see if they can outscore us.  If we don't turn the ball over, I bet they can't.

Who has stopped us?  We have.  That's it.  No opponent has.  We've stopped ourselves with turnovers.  Even in the losses we're averaging 28 points and 435 yards a game. 

That's the way I look at it.  The Pats have to stop us.  Luck has to play error free in this spot which has been a problem for him against this team.

My bold prediction is Colts beat the Pats by more than 10. The last huge Sunday night home game we had was against the Broncos and I think the Colts will play that well again. The Pats are mediocre on the road their 2 - 2 with wins over the Vikings and Bills. The reason they are on such a roll right now is due to the fact they played 4 out of their last 5 at home where they always play well.

I think Pep should have Andrew run a little more against the Pats, just because he's very capable and he hasn't done much of it this year. We need a few new wrinkles in this offense,

And we know the hoody will be prepared for anything we've run in the past 3 years.

Funny, Gronk and Edelman each had 9 receptions on 10 targets against Denver.  All other receivers were at about a 50% reception rate for that game.  NE also ran for less than 3 ypc.  Kind of reinforced what I thought.  If you strategize to cover Gronk and Edelman, there's not that much else to worry about.  I say we put Vontae on Edelman and keep either Sergio Brown or Butler on Gronk (to ensure we don't end up trying to cover him with a LB or Landry).  Gronk would still get some yardage - he's a mismatch for about every defender in the league.  But, that would be the best way to limit the Pat offense.