Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruce Arians

IcEWoLF

Okay, this guy turned a mediocre Cardinals team in two years into a powerhouse! The guy is a winner and the players just love to play for him!

The Cardinals are in prime spot to dethrone the Seahawks this year and make a deep playoff run, their defense and offense are just plain balling!

They are doing it without Dockett and Washington! If you ask me, that's very impressive! 

Could we see the Cadinals in the SB this year? I think yes if they can keep Carson Palmer healthy!

I'm not going to speculate on the what if the Colts had kept Arians idea. There was no way he was going to stay unless he got the HC job and do you really think the Colts were going to give Pagano the boot after #ChuckStrong?! 

However given his ties, and for what he did for us in 2012 I'm immensely pleased to see him getting his shot and doing so well with it. All without a true franchise QB. 

Congratulations Bruce, I hope you win the West. See you in the SB :P

Hard to believe he had (to my knowledge) never been considered for a HC job and was on the garbage heap at 54 years old . Now at 59 , he's in his second year as a HC and has to be considered for his second coach of the year award. Mind boggling...

Hard to believe he had (to my knowledge) never been considered for a HC job and was on the garbage heap at 54 years old . Now at 59 , he's in his second year as a HC and has to be considered for his second coach of the year award. Mind boggling...

He's actually 62... Just further reinforces your point.

Okay, this guy turned a mediocre Cardinals team in two years into a powerhouse! The guy is a winner and the players just love to play for him!

The Cardinals are in prime spot to dethrone the Seahawks this year and make a deep playoff run, their defense and offense are just plain balling!

They are doing it without Dockett and Washington! If you ask me, that's very impressive! 

Could we see the Cadinals in the SB this year? I think yes if they can keep Carson Palmer healthy!

Not taking anything away from Arians, but the Cardinals weren't that bad before he went there. That defense was already a monster, and they had offensive players, they just needed to shore up the line and find a QB. 

Since then, he's done a really good job of rebuilding the defense, since most of their front has been replaced due to free agency and injuries. Well, Todd Bowles has practical autonomy over the defense, but still. And the offense is getting more efficient. He added his smallish utility player in John Brown, and has another in Ellington, plus a couple of bigger backs for the goal line. 

Lots of credit to Arians for what he's doing in Arizona. I'm super happy for him, and I hope the Cardinals keep it up. 

He's actually 62... Just further reinforces your point.

I looked up a post to see how old he was when he was fired at I think it was dated and I messed up his age from ether. I did think he was in his 60's and should have just looked up him instead of the firing. Stupid.... And I agree that the team he took over was pretty good as far as talent goes. So not a miracle .. just a good story IMO.

More proof that fans really do overestimate the intelligence of guys running/coaching teams.

Arians has done a fine job but maybe it's just me I'm not sold on the Cards . I know they have the best record but there's something about them that isn't so convincing to me . The AFC will take it all this year as wide open as it is .. There isn't a team in the NFC that jumps out at me . Maybe it's just me...

He's actually 62

That's one reason I'm glad the Colts took Pagano over Arians. Pagano is 54. Arians at 62 makes him the same age as Bill Belichick, so the GM and owner would always have to wonder when Arians will retire. It's tough to keep head coaching replacements, in the event Arians were to unexpectedly retire.

More proof that fans really do overestimate the intelligence of guys running/coaching teams.

Funny you say that and I totally agree. Most are just guys . There have been a few "geniuses" through the years but IMO few and far between. I actually did meet Arians when Mora was head coach and he was the QB coach for Manning. My cousin is best friends with Chuck Pagano and his brother John  was on our staff. We would go to a few games a year and take John and a guy or two out to dinner after the game. Can't remember how but we met Arians outside of the team bus. He was the last one to get on as he was getting a smoke in before boarding. Bottom line is we talked to him for about 10-15 minutes and he struck me as a really ordinary guy. I remember thinking "what can this guy possibly teach to a mind like Peyton Manning." 

I'm not going to speculate on the what if the Colts had kept Arians idea. There was no way he was going to stay unless he got the HC job and do you really think the Colts were going to give Pagano the boot after #ChuckStrong?! 

However given his ties, and for what he did for us in 2012 I'm immensely pleased to see him getting his shot and doing so well with it. All without a true franchise QB. 

Congratulations Bruce, I hope you win the West. See you in the SB :P

You know, what is interesting is that at one time Carson Palmer was indeed considered a true franchise QB.  The issue was the injury in the playoffs vs. the Steelers.  This play nearly ended Carson's career (ACL + MCL) in early 2006.  I don't Palmer has been the same since, but he's always had the ability and talent.  Recently confidence has been coming back, so he can be as dangerous as a franchise QB, even though his career may not reflect that.  The potential doesn't go, its whether he can bring it back to life.  It appears he has more of his mojo back since the move to AZ and Arians.  I was sad to see Arians go, but happy he got the opportunity of his life after his audition standing in for Chuck went so well.  Now he has the best record in the league.  Amazing work.

You know, what is interesting is that at one time Carson Palmer was indeed considered a true franchise QB.  The issue was the injury in the playoffs vs. the Steelers.  This play nearly ended Carson's career (ACL + MCL) in early 2006.  I don't Palmer has been the same since, but he's always had the ability and talent.  Recently confidence has been coming back, so he can be as dangerous as a franchise QB, even though his career may not reflect that.  The potential doesn't go, its whether he can bring it back to life.  It appears he has more of his mojo back since the move to AZ and Arians.  I was sad to see Arians go, but happy he got the opportunity of his life after his audition standing in for Chuck went so well.  Now he has the best record in the league.  Amazing work.

Arians is a QB whisperer after all. I'm glad the nerve issue seems to be in the rear view mirror for Palmer. He epitomises what I think of as a "nearly" QB. Had all the tools to be very very good but one thing or another (mostly bad team situations IMO) it's never happened for him. Palmer for the SB win?! :P

I liked everything you said here IWF except your AZ SB line question. Carson Palmer is not better than Aaron Rodgers in the NFC though provided his hamstring is fine that is, but the Cardinals DC Todd Bowles is doing a masterful job & if GB faced AZ in the NFC Championship Game Todd would make life very unpleasant for Aaron. 

Bruce Arians exceeded my expectations &, if anybody could get the Cardinals back to the SB Promiseland, it's him. So, I can see why you are so high on the red birds IWF. I still think Rogers would win in a head to head match up though. 

On a couple levels! (Carson Palmer ACL-MCL in playoffs)

Carson%20Palmer%20Injury.jpg

This hit/tackle created the unnecessary roughness penalty call for going in low on QB's.

I remember this play well CBFL, but I had no idea it spawned the rise of the Unnecessary roughness penalty. Cool NFL trivia question there. What penalty call is Carson Palmer responsible for in 2005? Nice Jeopardy Game Show question there.  

Pretty sure Rodgers won't be what stops the Cardinals in the playoffs :-|

I don't see the Niners, the Seahawks, or the Giants making the Playoffs this year myself. Therefore, the only real competition to the Cardinals is either New Orleans, Green Bay, or the Eagles. 

If I'm AZ, I like those odds. The red birds can hang with any of those teams if you ask me. 

The 49ers and Seahawks, even this year, would make minced meat out of the Eagles, Saints and Packers. Besides the Cards still have to play the Seahawks twice and the 49ers again. As good as they are, do you really think they'll go 18-1???

The Niners were just defeated by the Rams. The Rams. San Fran's confidence is shaky at best & who knows where HC Jim Harbaugh will be next year. The Seahawks are finding out 1st hand what it feels like to be the SB hunted. Enough said. The Hawks really struggled against Carolina who aren't that good either right now. There is no way the 49ers or Hawks strike fear into any squad this year. Please...

Yes, I have a hades of a lot more confidence in the Packers, Saints, Eagles. What does 18-1 have to do with anything? AZ is flying high with confidence right now. That's all that matters. Peaking at the right time. 

And before the Rams game they Eagles were defeated by the 49ers, and the Packers were defeated by the Seahawks like they are every NFC West team.

If the Seahawks and 49ers truly are frauds, and the Cardinals are winning the Superbowl, then you're basically implying 18-1 because the 49ers and Seahawks make up about half of their remaining schedule which doesn't include the 3 teams you have confidence in.

Arians is a QB whisperer after all. I'm glad the nerve issue seems to be in the rear view mirror for Palmer. He epitomises what I think of as a "nearly" QB. Had all the tools to be very very good but one thing or another (mostly bad team situations IMO) it's never happened for him. Palmer for the SB win?! :P

Meh, I dunno if he is really a QB whisperer. He's like a good jockey who has been on the saddle of some fine horses lol. I LOVE the guy as a head coach....not so much as an OC.