Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offense

a06cc

The defense is always taking the blame. Week 7 I won't let them. The offense needs to start taking blame. We're having slow start or fast ones and then can't keep a lead. The offense is turning the ball over every game. Some don't realize that the defense being on the field most of the game is going to make them fatigued. The Oline isn't doing it's job by protection and opening up running lanes. Andrew and the guys need to quit turning the ball over. Andrew is taking the blame because his has more freedom this season with play calling and pass protections. I respect that fully from the leader of our team.

You know, when an Offense scores 34 points on the road and the team still doesn't win, not truly the O is the problem.

Last Sunday every wheel fell off. 

Offense made turnovers - Defense didn't created turnovers

Offense couldn't protect Luck - Defense couldn't rush BigBen

Offense couldn't open up running lanes - Defense couldn't stop run.

This loss was a 'team-effort'. Every part can be blamed, but IMO D has a little more blame. Plus BigBen had a perfect day what not frequently happens in anyone's life. Practically he could be throwing blindfolded he still had hit his WRs. I bet he won't play like this in upcoming 5 years again.

Just one more thing:

As coach said we were outplayed and outcoached. There's no extra blame to be put on any part of the team. 

They did their best and we...well we did our least. If we had done one of our best efforts and Steelers won, that's OK they were the better team, but we were vanilla, and that's what pisses me off.

You know, when an Offense scores 34 points on the road and the team still doesn't win, not truly the O is the problem.

Last Sunday every wheel fell off. 

Offense made turnovers - Defense didn't created turnovers

Offense couldn't protect Luck - Defense couldn't rush BigBen

Offense couldn't open up running lanes - Defense couldn't stop run.

This loss was a 'team-effort'. Every part can be blamed, but IMO D has a little more blame. Plus BigBen had a perfect day what not frequently happens in anyone's life. Practically he could be throwing blindfolded he still had hit his WRs. I bet he won't play like this in upcoming 5 years again.

If i remember correctly the defense forced and recovered 2 fumbles. I think we capitalized on one turnover and put up points but not the other. But i agree with you i would put more of this on the Defense but the O-line played awful as well. 

If i remember correctly the defense forced and recovered 2 fumbles. I think we capitalized on one turnover and put up points but not the other. But i agree with you i would put more of this on the Defense but the O-line played awful as well. 

Hmmm...I remember one fumble which was DHB's forced fumble after a punt (or kick?). Still I may be wrong on that...I was such nervous, can't remember every detail.

Plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the ball.  last Sunday was a total team failure.  The turnovers by the offense are a real problem this season. They don't seem to be cleaning it up.  Luck's pick-6 created real separation and was indicative of his carelessness with the ball this season.

That is correct however outside of those two turnovers how many drives did the Steelers have that didn't end in points for them?  

That's the problem right there.

Offense put up 34 points while not having a lot of time of possession.  Because the defense didn't make many stops on 3rd down.  

The pick 6 can be legitimately blamed on Luck and the Offense.  That's about it.  The other pick and the safety don't happen if the offense isn't so darn desperate to score and score fast.

The defense is always taking the blame. Week 7 I won't let them. The offense needs to start taking blame. We're having slow start or fast ones and then can't keep a lead. The offense is turning the ball over every game. Some don't realize that the defense being on the field most of the game is going to make them fatigued. The Oline isn't doing it's job by protection and opening up running lanes. Andrew and the guys need to quit turning the ball over. Andrew is taking the blame because his has more freedom this season with play calling and pass protections. I respect that fully from the leader of our team.

Eh, it was just a bad game overall. Over-Confident from the shutout vs the Bengals lead to us getting smacked in the mouth. Everyone has a bad game(s)

I mean, up until Sunday Night everyone was thinking the Saints were broken. They look like they're back to old form from last season now and are primed for a run at the NFC South title starting tomorrow night

We'll bounce back from this as we head to cold New York Monday Night

:colts:

So let me get this right. You want to blame the offense? Are you talking about the same offense who leads the league in a lot of numbers? The same ones who previously won 5 in a row? :scratch:  I guess it was the Colts defense who gave up 28 points in one quarter?

So let me get this right. You want to blame the offense? Are you talking about the same offense who leads the league in a lot of numbers? The same ones who previously won 5 in a row? :scratch:  I guess it was the Colts defense who gave up 28 points in one quarter?

you cant rest on the fact that the offense has played well previously....especially when a couple of those games were against bad teams and 1 against a good team who had there top two wr's out at the time....previously don't matter...The present does. The defense was awful no doubt (allowing any QB to go 40-49 on you no matter who it is tells me 1 of two things....lack of effort or we just had some players that just don't belong on the field at key positions....Corner specifically.....The effort was there no doubt....That should  leave one to believe the talent was just not out there to compete on defense)but the offense had a part in it to early on......

They did not convert on a 3rd down in the red zone to Nicks......why we were going to Nicks on a critical 3rd down is a sort of  ahead scratcher given that Hilton had 8 yards of separation out to the right and would have easily had the 1st down conversion if he just caught the ball....Had to settle for 3

Pitt scored a TD on there first possession

Colts had to punt on next possession

Pitt scored td on next possession

Luck threw a pick 6.......next thing ya know we are down 21-3

That's not to say the defense did not play like crap.......It obviously did....Davis going down really opened up the flood gates....But the lack of execution by the offense to start contributed....Even gave them 7 of those 35 points

Our defense has helped our offense get short fields to put up great numbers. It's very misleading that they take the blame all the time. It's time for the offense which is suppose to control the game clock to do a better job.

you cant rest on the fact that the offense has played well previously....especially when a couple of those games were against bad teams and 1 against a good team who had there top two wr's out at the time....previously don't matter...The present does. The defense was awful no doubt (allowing any QB to go 40-49 on you no matter who it is tells me 1 of two things....lack of effort or we just had some players that just don't belong on the field at key positions....Corner specifically.....The effort was there no doubt....That should  leave one to believe the talent was just not out there to compete on defense)but the offense had a part in it to early on......

They did not convert on a 3rd down in the red zone to Nicks......why we were going to Nicks on a critical 3rd down is a sort of  ahead scratcher given that Hilton had 8 yards of separation out to the right and would have easily had the 1st down conversion if he just caught the ball....Had to settle for 3

Pitt scored a TD on there first possession

Colts had to punt on next possession

Pitt scored td on next possession

Luck threw a pick 6.......next thing ya know we are down 21-3

That's not to say the defense did not play like crap.......It obviously did....Davis going down really opened up the flood gates....But the lack of execution by the offense to start contributed....Even gave them 7 of those 35 points

Not rest but pointing fingers at the offense is just plain wrong. If you cant go by what they have one in the past then what? Maybe the Steelers defense was giving the offense a little more that they could handle in this game? The Colts are used to playing from behind with help from the defense. Luck and the offense scored enough points to win most games but it was the defense who made it impossible.

What game were you watching?

Our defense has helped our offense get short fields to put up great numbers. It's very misleading that they take the blame all the time. It's time for the offense which is suppose to control the game clock to do a better job.

There's plenty of blame to go around, if that would make you happier.  The defense should take the brunt of it for last Sunday's game.  To say they shouldn't is either just plain silly or you're trying to start a useless argument.

If before that game, you knew the offense would put up 34 points and Andrew would have another 300 yard game, you would have been pretty happy.

I don't know why everyone is so interested in assigning blame all the time anyway.  It only matters if the coaches and players didn't learn anything from the game. 

I don't know why people think Andrew has more freedom with play calling and pass protections now than before?

I've not seen/read any quote that supports that.

Thornton and Cherilus are not very good as pass blockers.
AC, was the 22nd rated LT at pass blocking last season. PFF. If you think he has made some distinct jump with his athleticism from last season you are a Dreamer.
 Mewhort should always have issues knocking guys off the line because of leverage. 6' 6" 310 going against 6'2-4" 325-340 lbers. Pitt showed that maintaining your run block can be enough!  But Jack does get good use out of his long arms and big hands and seems to latch on pretty darn well to maintain leverage as a pass blocker. I like how Jack thinks fast and gets over to help AC. He is the best lineman amongst a not very good line.
 Harrison shows good promise. Will we ever see Holmes?

Minus the excellent support by our TE`s & RB`s our O-Line is not going to be good with Thornton and Cherilus. Louis played better than Thornton and Nixon needs a shot at RT.