Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I have a problem.

BuckingColt

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, neither you or I have a complete picture of BC's daily lifestyle or routine. It reminds me of a quote from the movie "Animal House: Fat, drunk, & stupid is no way to go through life son."

I'm just a little weary of stereotyping somebody I have never met personally. I will acknowledge though that kicking VCR's & throwing computer chairs down a flight of stairs is disturbing behavior. Maybe hitting a punching bag would be more constructive & release your frustrations over a Colts loss in healthy manner Mr. BC. I'm just trying to help him get over this hurdle without hurting himself or driving friends & loved ones away permanently. Everyone is capable of redemption in my book except for child molesters & serial killers.

A lot of people like to label aggressive behavior as simply a sign of immaturity & selfishness. Sometimes, this is true. However, flights of rage can in fact be a mental disorder of some kind that a person may mask with booze, pills, daredevil tendencies, or violent sex with partners. I guess I've never liked the notion of discarding people or throwing them away as long as they keep trying to improve & rectify their situation with professional therapy & guidance.

I respect your point of view dudeski & I am not trying to change your mind. From my perspective, I just don't believe in throwing in the towel on a guy if he keeps getting up & fighting to preserve his own sanity & romantic lifestyle with his significant other. If the woman chooses to leave, that's her decision, but if both parties want to stick it out & drive over a variety of potholes together for a better future together the end result can be a nice resolution too.

Very well said, SW. Your compassion shows.

I used to get pretty fired up while watching games at home, it got so bad that even the dog didn't want to sit by me anymore!!! It was pretty embarrassing really! My wife had to repeatedly tell me, "THEY CANT HEAR YOU!" I've calmed down for the most part though.....every now and then a bad call will light the fuse, but I'll just walk over to my nearby punching bag(not a person) and take it out on it to cool off!

Your anger seems a little deeper rooted though? Have you tried boxing or MMA? It helps more then people know, my kind of therapy!!!

I can't watch Colt's games without losing my temper(like I'll hit my leg or inanimate objects around me) and apart from that my anxiety eats me up alive. I can't eat during games and I'm just a complete nervous wreck before and during. It's gotten so bad that for the last 5 weeks I haven't watched a single game on TV - I just record them for later, but only after I see the "what's worse than being blank and blank?" thread to confirm that we won - HOWEVER I did attend the Baltimore game, and now I think my girlfriend never wants to attend a sporting event with me again.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for handling my neurosis?

I appreciate your openness and honesty here. Being a die-hard fan is clearly affecting your life and preventing you from enjoying the games. It is a good thing you are not a fan of the Vikings (like me) or a fan of one of the perennial losers. I often have to turn off games so that I can maintain a healthy heart. :)

There are many sports fans who share your problem. So, you are not alone. As others here have recommended, therapy (for more than 30 minutes a session) can help as can some stress-relieving exercises. You may also need an anti-anxiety medication but that should be a last resort, as they have a lot of adverse side-effects.

I wish you the best of luck in coping with this and finding a possible solution. All the best to the Colts and IU basketball!

Being a fan of a baseball team (the Reds) that usually don't make the playoffs kind of makes me jaded.  they've helped me realize a lot of things.

You've just gotta remember that those plays in those games don't actually affect you in any way, other than mentally. Ask yourself, is it really that important? Remember it's just a game. It gets to the point where if watching a game isn't fun, then why watch at all?

I will get a little flak from other people when the Colts or Reds lose, but in the end you don't really know all of these people on these teams. You just can't let it affect you so personally, and relax.

Hope I helped some. :)

I can't watch Colt's games without losing my temper(like I'll hit my leg or inanimate objects around me) and apart from that my anxiety eats me up alive. I can't eat during games and I'm just a complete nervous wreck before and during. It's gotten so bad that for the last 5 weeks I haven't watched a single game on TV - I just record them for later, but only after I see the "what's worse than being blank and blank?" thread to confirm that we won - HOWEVER I did attend the Baltimore game, and now I think my girlfriend never wants to attend a sporting event with me again.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for handling my neurosis?

BC, all I can say after reading this and a bunch of good responses is that life...all by itself...if it hasn't already....is going to deal you much heavier things to have anxiety about than the lousy performance of your favorite football team. My wife is currently in the later stages of a battle with pancreatic cancer and football is, at best, a temporary escape for her and I....even when our team trounces their opponent.

I get the part about being passionate about your team....I'm in my 52nd year as a Colts fan. But there are football things to be "anxious" about....and then there is real life.

If we blur that line and, as you described, our relationships start getting affected by extreme responses to....of all things, our entertainment choices...then it's time to dial it back and it sounds like you at least recognized that in some measure by viewing Colts games after the fact.

But one way or another...I'd try to go a step further and really put these Colts games in a healthier spot on that list of priorities in life.

If we don't....than much bigger issues in life will do it for us...and the time and energy, and any collateral damage to relationships from being too emotionally charged about football, will wind up being time we'll probably consider a complete waste.

My advise? Go ahead and calmly enjoy the games...then take your girlfriend out and enjoy real life. :)

Where did you work as a producer and where are you from?

I'm from Los Angeles....   still here...

I've worked for most of the local stations,  CBS, NBC, Fox and I've also worked in news radio as well....

I've also done some work for CBS Network sports too.

How about you?

I'm from Los Angeles....   still here...

I've worked for most of the local stations,  CBS, NBC, Fox and I've also worked in news radio as well....

I've also done some work for CBS Network sports too.

How about you?

I'm now just living in Bloomington, IN it's where the Indiana Hoosiers home is. 

im not trying to poke the bear here but I think you should watch the games and actively practice restraint while watching. Before starting banging on your chair or yelling, don't do it! Tell your brain your not going to yell and hit things. Like when someone slams a door in anger, a split second before they do it they decide to slam the door.