Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What teams have a better qb history than the colts?

Trace Pyott

I was thinking and was wondering what nfl teams have a more robust quarterback history than the colts do. I mean literally have had what some would say two of the top 3 qb of all time with Unitas and manning. Then you add in the super bright future luck could and will probably have and I would say that's pretty darn good. Then you could even add Bert jones and harbaugh to the list as well. One team that would give us a run would have to be San Fran with Montana and young or ( it makes me sick to say) Denver with elway and manning and the so so jay cutler. Those are prob the best off the top of my head but I would still give the edge to the colts especially if Andrew luck meets expectations. What do you guys think?

Jim Plunkett was terrible with the 9ers.

Plunkett was a Heisman winner, rookie of the year in 1971, comeback player of the year in 1980, 2 time super bowl winner with 1 super bowl MVP. When he played for the 49ers the team was bad, not him. Why you even cut him down is beyond me?

Plunkett was a Heisman winner, rookie of the year in 1971, comeback player of the year in 1980, 2 time super bowl winner with 1 super bowl MVP. When he played for the 49ers the team was bad, not him. Why you even cut him down is beyond me?

Because he was terrible until he got to the raiders. Even then he wasn't that good.

Colts-Unitas, Manning, Luck

Packers- Starr, Farve, Rogers

Cowboys- Merideth, Staubach, Aikman, Romo

49ers- Brodie, Montana, Young, Kappernick

Giants- Title, Simms, Manning

Raiders- Blanda, Lamonica, Stabler, Plunkett, Gannon

Broncos- Elway, Manning

Chargers- Fouts, Rivers

Chiefs- Dawson

Oilers/ Titans- Moon, McNair

Steelers- Bradshaw, Rothlisberger

Bengals- Anderson, Esiason

Other teams that had good to great QB's-   (Young hopefuls)

Dolphins - Bob Griese, Dan Marino, (Ryan Tannehill)

Vikings -  Fran Tarkenton, Joe Kapp, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Dante Culpepper, Brett Favre,  (Teddy Bridgewater)

Jets - Joe Namath, Chad Pennington

Cincinnati Bengals - Kenny Anderson, Boomer Eisiason, Carson Palmer, (Andy Dalton)

Chiefs - Len Dawson, Dave Krieg, Trent Green, Joe Montana

Eagles - Norm Van Brocklin, Sonny Jurgensen, Ron Jaworski, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb  (Nick Foles)

Obviously Cleveland.

Besides Otto Graham (every ESPN old clips shows him), I can only think of these. So they must have been at least OK, maybe great for some-

Mike Phipps (ok ???), Brian Sipe (OK ???) Bernie Kosar (I thought he was good) Vinny Testaverde (I thought he was good). Hopefuls- Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel

So... Who am I forgetting?

We have the two of the best three quarterbacks in history. I also believe the Colts have the most MVPs eon by a team in history.

Peyton Manning - 4

Johnny Unitas - 3

Bert Jones - 1

Earl Morrell - 1

Count that, that's 9 MVPs by franchise quarterbacks. No other team boasts that. That's more MVPs than 18 teams combined.

If you would have bothered to read the original comment it was when Plunkett was with the Raiders that my comment was about.

How can the 49ers claim his (debateable) good year? 

Can we claim Kerry Collin's good years? He went to a Super Bowl. 

Really? So a 2 time super bowl winner with a super bowl MVP wasn't that good? You have your opinion but it is not shared by all that's for sure.

I watched a LOT of football back then and Plunkett was meh at best. He was serviceable later when he had a few good years, but through most of his early career, he was a guy that needed to be replaced. I watched the games!

Colts-Unitas, Bert Jones, Manning, Luck

Packers- Starr, Farve, Rogers

Cowboys- Merideth, Staubach, Aikman, Romo

49ers- Brodie, Montana, Young, Kappernick

Giants- Title, Simms, Manning

Raiders- Blanda, Lamonica, Stabler, Plunkett, Gannon

Broncos- Elway, Manning

Chargers- Fouts, Rivers

Chiefs- Dawson

Oilers/ Titans- Moon, McNair

Steelers- Bradshaw, Rothlisberger

Bengals- Anderson, Esiason

Fixed your Colts listing.

I watched a LOT of football back then and Plunkett was meh at best. He was serviceable later when he had a few good years, but through most of his early career, he was a guy that needed to be replaced. I watched the games!

If you would have read my comment I said he was good when he played for the Raiders. He was on some pretty lame teams early on. The Pats and 49ers were not good teams at all when he played for either. If you choose to overlook his comeback player of the year and then on to two super bowls that's your choice.

If you would have read my comment I said he was good when he played for the Raiders. He was on some pretty lame teams early on. The Pats and 49ers were not good teams at all when he played for either. If you choose to overlook his comeback player of the year and then on to two super bowls that's your choice.

Ergo why I said he had a few good years, but during those few good years, despite the team success he was NEVER one of the elite QBs. He was serviceable. Not the first serviceable QB to win SBs and or rise up in the big game.