Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My 2015 NFL Draft for the Colts - just first 3 picks

Round 1: Benardrick McKinney, ILB/OLB, Mississippi State; 6'4", 245 - He is very athletic and versatile, can play inside and outside in the 3-4 for 3 downs, and we need playmakers at the LB position. I am not sold on DQwell Jackson long term, we need to draft one here. A 3 down LB is worth spending a first round pick on, IMO.

Round 2: Cody Prewitt, S, Ole Miss; 6'2", 217, 4.6 - I like how he is around the ball all the time, and I like his upside, especially with Pagano's secondary coaching. Not a great ball hawk by any means but definitely has good ball skills and tackling skills. 

Round 3: Cam Thomas, CB, Western Kentucky; 6'0", 190, 4.53 - He is a press CB and fits that description to a tee at the college and the next level. He is very physical with his receivers too.Thomas emerged as one of the more productive defensive backs in the country in 2013, leading the Sun Belt Conference in passes defended (15) and interceptions (5). Now that Western Kentucky moved to C-USA, he is one to keep an eye on in 2014.

Well, these 3 players are those I would love to become Colts. That is it!!! :)

Round 1: Benardrick McKinney, ILB/OLB, Mississippi State; 6'4", 245 - He is very athletic and versatile, can play inside and outside in the 3-4 for 3 downs, and we need playmakers at the LB position. I am not sold on DQwell Jackson long term, we need to draft one here. A 3 down LB is worth spending a first round pick on, IMO.

Round 2: Cody Prewitt, S, Ole Miss; 6'2", 217, 4.6 - I like how he is around the ball all the time, and I like his upside, especially with Pagano's secondary coaching. Not a great ball hawk by any means but definitely has good ball skills and tackling skills. 

Round 3: Cam Thomas, CB, Western Kentucky; 6'0", 190, 4.53 - He is a press CB and fits that description to a tee at the college and the next level. He is very physical with his receivers too.Thomas emerged as one of the more productive defensive backs in the country in 2013, leading the Sun Belt Conference in passes defended (15) and interceptions (5). Now that Western Kentucky moved to C-USA, he is one to keep an eye on in 2014.

Three defensive players with our first three picks!   

Bless you, my son!    Bless you!      :thmup:       :worthy:       :thanks:

No argument with your concept here, but that late 1st Rd. pick looks more and more like the ideal place to get a safety.  Each of the last 3 years, a premium safety has gone off the board in the late 1st.  There have been good corners in the late first also.

If one is there that fits our scheme, it would seem like we'd pull the trigger on a DB at that spot.  That said, I don't think we can go wrong with any pick that identifies an impact player for the defense, and if that is a versatile ILB/OLB, I'm all for it, especially if it is the type of player that increases the complexity you can throw at great QB's...

Additionally, I won't be shocked to see us draft a developmental OT as early as the 3rd Rd if the right guy is on the board.  I fully expect defense in the first 3-4 Rds, but we are going to need to have a competent replacement ready for Cherilus by 2016 as well.

1.  Danny Shelton NT Washington  -  This is a tough choice because Prewitt, Kurtis Drummond, and Kari Joseph would all probably be gone by our 2nd pick.  An elite big vs an elite S, I'll always choose the big.

2.  Laken Tomlinson OG Duke  -  Smart, Athletic, powerful, one of the best players on a surprising Duke team.  He can plug into LG and Mewhort slides to RT.

3.  Justin Hardy  WR   East Carolina

4.  Terry Williams   NT  East Carolina

5.  Eric Murry  CB   Minnesota

The monster gets even bigger!!!!

1.  Danny Shelton NT Washington  -  This is a tough choice because Prewitt, Kurtis Drummond, and Kari Joseph would all probably be gone by our 2nd pick.  An elite big vs an elite S, I'll always choose the big.

2.  Laken Tomlinson OG Duke  -  Smart, Athletic, powerful, one of the best players on a surprising Duke team.  He can plug into LG and Mewhort slides to RT.

I really like Eric Murray, he is another press CB that will be drafted higher than where he is projected, I feel.

I like the idea of going after a big, athletic ILB. McKinney fits the bill. I'd feel pretty good about that pick. Prewitt will most likely be gone by our second pick, unless he gets injured. I'd change that pick to Anthony Harris, S, Virginia. I really like Harris' game, and he had 8 interceptions last season. He may be gone by our 2nd pick too but he's at least somewhat realistic.

I am starting to think Shaq Thompson from Washington might be a great choice. The question is if he can play safety. He is a phenomenal athlete with great cover skills. I am just not sure how comfortable he would be at safety. It might take him a year to adjust, but he could be a top tier safety that might just be available late in round one.

Safety is probably our biggest need at the moment with pass rusher coming in at a close second. It will be interesting to see if Jon Newsome can develop. He has looked good in spots, but clearly needs to bulk up a little. 

I am leaning towards Antwan Goodley WR Baylor in the 2nd round. 5'11" 220 lb speedster that would form a heck of a WR trio with Hilton and Moncrief. I don't see Nicks coming back next year. Even if Wayne comes back, it would be nice to add some talented depth. 

In the 3rd I am going Henry Anderson DT Stanford. Redding is retiring and Anderson would be a nice addition. Very athletic 6'6" and roughly 290 lbs. 

I am starting to think Shaq Thompson from Washington might be a great choice. The question is if he can play safety. He is a phenomenal athlete with great cover skills. I am just not sure how comfortable he would be at safety. It might take him a year to adjust, but he could be a top tier safety that might just be available late in round one.

Safety is probably our biggest need at the moment with pass rusher coming in at a close second. It will be interesting to see if Jon Newsome can develop. He has looked good in spots, but clearly needs to bulk up a little. 

I am leaning towards Antwan Goodley WR Baylor in the 2nd round. 5'11" 220 lb speedster that would form a heck of a WR trio with Hilton and Moncrief. I don't see Nicks coming back next year. Even if Wayne comes back, it would be nice to add some talented depth. 

In the 3rd I am going Henry Anderson DT Stanford. Redding is retiring and Anderson would be a nice addition. Very athletic 6'6" and roughly 290 lbs. 

Thompson was actually recruited as a safety and was the number one safety in his class over Landon Collins. It might take a year to readjust but I think he could do it rather easily. I would also like to get another receiver but I'd prefer a larger, outside receiver later in the draft and I just don't see the value in the second round. There's a decent chance they're gone, but I'd love to move up in the second round and get Danny Shelton (Thompson's teammate) or Denzel Perryman. Shelton looks like a potentially great nose tackle and although Chapman has been alright, I'd love to have a nose tackle that can get some penetration on passing downs. Perryman looks like an ideal inside linebacker in our defense and seems to be the size of our other linebackers. In the third, I like Anderson because I'm a fan of building up the trenches and I think that's where games are won or lost. I'm not as worried about the pass rush because Mathis will be back but if Noah Spence falls then he could be a great pick later in the draft.

A nose tackle.....really?

Hmm...ya'll that are drafting for need know that's not likely going to fix our problems immediately right? Most players take a year or more to develop into a starter that ya can rely on, I'd think BPA is the way to go and try to fix need with proven NFL players

Hmm...ya'll that are drafting for need know that's not likely going to fix our problems immediately right? Most players take a year or more to develop into a starter that ya can rely on, I'd think BPA is the way to go and try to fix need with proven NFL players

At some point we have to make a commitment to get younger, faster, more athletic on defense and that typically is done through the draft.

If it takes more than a year for these guys to pan out,  then so be it. 

But most free agent defenders who are really talented command huge money and those guys can mess with your payroll.

So,  I'm for committing to draft defensive  players with picks 1-4 in the 2015 draft and then address offense in R5.

Free agency can be used selectively to buy key players, as we did with Art Jones this past year.

Pagano talked about "Building the Monster" (meaning his defense) when he got hired.    Next season starts year 4 of his regime.    It's time to start committing serious assets and resources toward building a great defense.

I don't think they could possibly draft any other position than a safety in the 1st round, unless some can't miss prospect falls to our pick. You look at the team and pick out the one position that sticks out like a sore thumb, and it's safety. I mean we could use more play makers on the defensive side of the ball in general, but safety has got to be upgraded.

CB is also a possibility.

I don't think they could possibly draft any other position than a safety in the 1st round, unless some can't miss prospect falls to our pick. You look at the team and pick out the one position that sticks out like a sore thumb, and it's safety. I mean we could use more play makers on the defensive side of the ball in general, but safety has got to be upgraded.

They need to fill it even if it's through FA.  But pass rush could be addressed.  Even if Werner is starting to come on now, we need more rush then that. 

I don't know that we need a guard in the 2nd.  With Mewuhort and Thornton we are probably set at guard for a while.  And we have plenty of depth.

If he's the BPA I guess, but for a guy we are taking in the 2nd round, I'd want to see a starting position opening up for him within 2 years of him being drafted.  Otherwise it seems like a waste

It is very much possible that unless a very good player drops, they trade down to a team that is starved at a skill position to the top of the 2nd to get their safety from enough safeties that will be available at the top of the 2nd. There are good WRs to be had in the 2015 draft in round 1,  and I am sure we can find a trade partner.

It is very much possible that unless a very good player drops, they trade down to a team that is starved at a skill position to the top of the 2nd to get their safety from enough safeties that will be available at the top of the 2nd. There are good WRs to be had in the 2015 draft in round 1,  and I am sure we can find a trade partner.

Maybe. I see Pewitt, Anthony Harris, and Derron Smith as fringe 1st round safeties. But most of the good receivers should be gone by our pick. I couldn't see us trading completely out of the 1st though unless the offer was really good. Maybe if they offered a 3rd or 4th.

They need to fill it even if it's through FA.  But pass rush could be addressed.  Even if Werner is starting to come on now, we need more rush then that. 

I thought about that too, but don't forget there is also Newsome. I like what I've seen for him. But if a top OLB (or pass rushing 3-4 DE) is available when we pick, I think we should pull the trigger.

Jonathan Newsome had some good snaps yesterday. It will be interesting to see how he continues to perform this season and, more importantly, how he looks next year after a year and offseason to work on his game. He could be the long term answer on the weak side. I feel he needs to bulk up a little though. 

I really like Shane Ray from Missouri if we decide to go pass rusher early. He may not make it to the latter part of the first round, but he looks like a monster pass rusher in the making. 

At some point we have to make a commitment to get younger, faster, more athletic on defense and that typically is done through the draft.

If it takes more than a year for these guys to pan out,  then so be it. 

But most free agent defenders who are really talented command huge money and those guys can mess with your payroll.

So,  I'm for committing to draft defensive  players with picks 1-4 in the 2015 draft and then address offense in R5.

Free agency can be used selectively to buy key players, as we did with Art Jones this past year.

Pagano talked about "Building the Monster" (meaning his defense) when he got hired.    Next season starts year 4 of his regime.    It's time to start committing serious assets and resources toward building a great defense.

That's fine but if its not there then don't reach just because its a need or drafting a specific position because its a need

That's fine but if its not there then don't reach just because its a need or drafting a specific position because its a need

Our draft spots are likely to be the high 20's...   near the bottom of the 1st...

The high 50's, low 60's....   near the bottom of the 2nd.....

And the low to mid 90's....     you really think there won't be some defensive player worth taking at those points?

Even if not the positions that I'd prefer,  I strongly suspect that we won't have to reach to find defensive talent.

Now....  all that said....  here's the potential speed bump....

As what happened when Donte Moncrief fell all the way to us last year....   there could be a much higher ranked offensive player that somehow falls to us in any of the first three rounds.    That player may be much higher than the top defensive player we consider taking.

In that kind of circumstance,  I'd be OK taking offense.   But at his new conference, I hope Grigson makes it absolutely clear the reason he takes a defensive guy with one of the top picks is because he was ranked much higher than where we draft him and he was simply too good not to draft.    If he does that,  then I'm fine with it.....

Yeah...... We're not getting Gurley

He's going Top 5 & we don't need him

I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere near top 5....He doesn't really do anything at elite level, Solid in a lot of areas but don't have an elite burst upon hand off (He don't get the hand off and shoot up like he was shot out of a cannon)....Pass protection is inconsistent and get ankle tackled quitea bit

Our draft spots are likely to be the high 20's...   near the bottom of the 1st...

The high 50's, low 60's....   near the bottom of the 2nd.....

And the low to mid 90's....     you really think there won't be some defensive player worth taking at those points?

Even if not the positions that I'd prefer,  I strongly suspect that we won't have to reach to find defensive talent.

Now....  all that said....  here's the potential speed bump....

As what happened when Donte Moncrief fell all the way to us last year....   there could be a much higher ranked offensive player that somehow falls to us in any of the first three rounds.    That player may be much higher than the top defensive player we consider taking.

In that kind of circumstance,  I'd be OK taking offense.   But at his new conference, I hope Grigson makes it absolutely clear the reason he takes a defensive guy with one of the top picks is because he was ranked much higher than where we draft him and he was simply too good not to draft.    If he does that,  then I'm fine with it.....

Im sure there will be plenty of young talent available at our draft positions on defense but if he aint the BPA on your board then don't do it......Going to be a lot of room for 2nd guessing if ya do.

Stick with the BPA, Fit him into your lineup and get him reps...If he works well or even great (usually not the case) from day one then things are open for a trade of a current starter. Then if ya got a trade partner ya trade and get a draft pick in next years draft (Hopefully)

I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere near top 5....He doesn't really do anything at elite level, Solid in a lot of areas but don't have an elite burst upon hand off (He don't get the hand off and shoot up like he was shot out of a cannon)....Pass protection is inconsistent and get ankle tackled quitea bit

Raiders are taking him

MJD is washed up & DMC is injury prone

And if anyone would take a RB in today's league that high, it'd be the Raiders

I am satisfied with all 3 of the picks but if we make a deep run into the playoffs our 1st round pick would be somewhere around 20s to 32. McKinney will definitely be a top 10 pick if he continues to play like he does. I would go for a DE in the 1st round. I'm not sold yet on Walden and Werner. (Of course they have step up over the past week but it still a long season). What if Mathis don't have that same speed or strength that made him explosive off the line next season? So who would I go for at DE? Easily Randy Gregory or Shilique Calhoun...But if both are gone I know who the Colts can definitely get. He draw comparisons to a defensive menace that we face twice a year. The guy who is comparable to the godly J.J Watt is Joey Bosa. Imagine him and Mathis across from each other destroying QBs. This guy is a beast!  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2234587-is-ohio-state-de-joey-bosa-the-next-jj-watt

I'm worried about McKInney's instincts and technique.  From what I have read, he relies on speed only, gets lost in coverage, and doesn't use his hands.  Still, you can't deny the production.  I'm leaning towards Perryman right now.  He is a good athlete and just a tough tough guy.

I love the Prewitt pick, but I think he will be gone.  My fist pick would be Karl Joseph, but I believe he will be gone too.  That leaves Kurtis Drummond.  I think he would be a sloid second round pick, and again, tough tough tough.

I don't know know much about Cam Thomas, any info would be great, thanks.

So far this is my mock:

1.  Denzel Perryman - physical, athletic, instinctive   win, win, win

2.  Kurtis Drummond - not dominant, but he does make plays and he is tough and he is smart.

3.  Daryl Williams - OT Oklahoma - played left tackle against Bama in last years bowl game.  Great run blocker, we need depth and a replacement for Cherilus

4.  David Cobb  RB  Minnesota -  He is the toughest person to tackle I have seen in awhile.

5.  Shaq Mason   OC -Georgia Tech   Physical, great athlete, I'd take him higher if he wasn't moving from guard

6.  Eric Murry CB Minesota  - Not flashy, good player.  Doubt he drops.

DL Stocked for another year: Jones, Chapman, RJF, Kerr, Hughes, Werner, Mathis

OL Good: Castonzo, Mewhort, Harrison, Holmes, Thornton, Cherlius, Shipley...

RB One more year of Richardson and Bradshaw and Demps

CB One more year of Toler, Davis...

FS Getting better...

SS Getting better...2016 Draft

WR Good for 1-2 more years: Wayne, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, Doyle, Moncreif, Whalen

1. Trade for 2016 RD1 

2. D.J. Humphries G/OT Florida (Depth)

3. Wayne Lyons CB Stanford (Depth)

4. Tevin Coleman RB Indiana (Depth)

1. Joey Bosa DE or Laquon Treadwell WR Ole Miss (Mathis Understudy or Wayne Understudy)

1. Tony Connor S Ole Miss or Su'a Cravens S USC or Jaylon Smith ILB

2. BPA

DL Stocked for another year: Jones, Chapman, RJF, Kerr, Hughes, Werner, Mathis

OL Good: Castonzo, Mewhort, Harrison, Holmes, Thornton, Cherlius, Shipley...

RB One more year of Richardson and Bradshaw and Demps

CB One more year of Toler, Davis...

FS Getting better...

SS Getting better...2016 Draft

WR Good for 1-2 more years: Wayne, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, Doyle, Moncreif, Whalen

1. Trade for 2016 RD1 

2. D.J. Humphries G/OT Florida (Depth)

3. Wayne Lyons CB Stanford (Depth)

4. Tevin Coleman RB Indiana (Depth)

1. Joey Bosa DE or Laquon Treadwell WR Ole Miss (Mathis Understudy or Wayne Understudy)

1. Tony Connor S Ole Miss or Su'a Cravens S USC or Jaylon Smith ILB

2. BPA

Regarding Lyons at Stanford.    He's finishing his 4th year, but he was hurt early in one of them, so he could return if he applies for a Red-shirt year.    It would be granted.    The question is -- will he do this?

He hasn't played that well.    I think there's no chance of him being drafted in the first 4 or 5 rounds.    Maybe later in R6 or 7.

It's also possible he'd be a free agent if he came out.    He might go back for a 5th year.   It's probably in his best interest.